When was the last time...

Options
UlvenDagoth
UlvenDagoth Member Posts: 3,535
edited September 2019 in General Discussions

When was the last time the Killer scared you? When were you even slightly nervous about playing a game of Dead By Daylight cause that Killer is a coming to get ya? Has this game ever been a Horror game to you?

Cause as far as I've noticed, no one is scared at all of the Killer. No one is worried at all about there powers or abilities. In this kinda asymmetrical game... this speaks volumes about the balance and many other factors... to my mind at least.

Comments

• UlvenDagoth
    Options

I'm talking new players too. Let me point out another thing, it shouldn't BE the same movie. Not with the amount of Killers and perks and all. You just pointed out how intense the Meta is.

• Dr_Loomis
    Dr_Loomis Member Posts: 3,703
    Options

Pig and Myers have made me jump on occasion.

• brokedownpalace
    brokedownpalace Member Posts: 8,761
    Options

There are some people who will play this for hundreds of hours and still be scared. There are some who never find it "scary" at all. The answer to the question you're posing doesn't really mean anything.

Regardless of whether or not you are "scared," if your heart rate never goes up when playing then maybe see a doctor. Or become a bomb defusal expert or a professional poker player.

• UlvenDagoth
    Options

Well rude. Perhaps I could word it better then. When was the last time you loaded into the game, and were worried about the Killer getting you?

• Kilmeran
    Kilmeran Member Posts: 3,141
    edited September 2019
    Options

@UlvenDagoth I'm going to be honest here: while I like DbD, it has never given me that sense of being scared during a match. I don't know if it's the limited sized maps, which strike me as more of a battle arena format than anything else, or what? But pound for pound, I get a lot more of that horror movie feeling, and even jump scares and such at times, playing a counselor in Friday the 13th. Even to this day.

It's just a damned shame that game went the way it did, because I even found that game more engaging as a counselor than I do here as a survivor.

Right now I play DbD because it's really the only game in town with a decent player base for that slasher-horror gaming when the mood strikes me. I do wish that another game similar to Friday the 13's core aspects would come along. Sadly, Last Year: The Nightmare was not it.

• VolantConch1719
    VolantConch1719 Member Posts: 1,167
    Options

Lawsuits mainly. The game just died out due to lawsuits preventing updates (at least, that's how I understand it).

• Kilmeran
    edited September 2019
    Options

@UlvenDagoth Well, the developers, Illfonic, weren't really following through on things to begin with. Then the Friday the 13th franchise lawsuit between Victor Miller (the writer for the original film) and Sean Cunningham (who controls the franchise) hit the courts. And it's been ongoing since. That thing is a bit complicated to explain quickly, so you'll have to Google it.

As a result, Illfonic and other Friday the 13th licensees were given notice to cease creating new licensing material. So, Illfonic had to stop making new content for the game. And the possibility of any new movies is a fantasy due to the lawsuit, as well.

Even if the lawsuit suddenly ended tomorrow, they already stated there will never be new content for the game, now. They've since moved on and are now doing the new Predator asymmetrical game for the PS4 exclusively. They just keep the F13 servers up and do bug fixes once in a blue moon. They also just released it for the Switch, but that's an obvious cash grab, considering everything else.

The game still gets around 700 players a day according to Steam Charts, and lobbies can be found during the day and early evenings. But I mostly game from around 10pm until midnight, east coast time. And during that window, lobbies are hard to find. So, if I want an asymmetrical horror game, it's DbD for that time of night.

That, or I just mess around as Jason in the offline bots mode. Which is what I've been doing for the Slasher fix until Behavior finally fixes the matchmaker in DbD.

• Kilmeran
    edited September 2019
    Options

@UlvenDagoth Yep. Now like I said, I like Dead by Daylight. It's just that I liked a lot of aspects of Friday the 13th a lot more and found them more fun and engaging. I would love a new asymmetrical horror game in that vein, even if it just had all original killers to it.

I'd had hopes for Last Year: The Nightmare. Well, those hopes were dashed in the beta, and that game is even more dead than F13, now. And rightly so.

Give me a game like F13 by a development studio that cares about it like Behavior does DbD, and I might not be playing DbD all that much.

• Alice_pbg
    Alice_pbg Member Posts: 6,556
    Options

Just the other day myers scared the ######### out of me when he was stalking me from way too close while I was looking away. :p

• humanbeing1704
    humanbeing1704 Member Posts: 8,797
    Options

jumpscare myers still makes me expel poop

• Gibberish
    Gibberish Member Posts: 1,055
    Options

Never. Killers are too underpowered to be a real threat to be scared of.

• Mookywolf
    Mookywolf Member Posts: 907
    Options

i dunno, i still have some moments where my heart is just pounding. i had my first match against an actually good nurse about a month ago and i was terrified, i was the only one to make it out.

• UndergroundBubba
    UndergroundBubba Member Posts: 13
    Options

I wouldn't call it scared but I definitely get worried when I'm the one getting chased because I don't usually play survivor and I absolutely suck at making a chase last longer than a few seconds.

• UlvenDagoth
    Options

Honestly same. I can't get the hang of looping. Need to work on it more. I've been playing both sides to get more perspective from both ends of the game.

• MegMain98
    MegMain98 Member Posts: 2,907
    Options

I get jumpscared by Hag and Myers every now and then but I’m not genuinely terrified of the killer.

I have anxiety over stupid things so sometimes I’m a little anxious to play survivor and when I’m in a long chase my heart will start pounding harder.

I get more anxiety than actual fright.

• Shad03
    Shad03 Member Posts: 3,732
    Options

Mostly Spirit, a bit of Myers, and the occasional good Nurse on console.

And also Ghost Face scares me time to time.

But those are few and far between and often times I'm not really worried, even when soloing. I just mostly get annoyed and that's it.

• Apple2o
    Apple2o Member Posts: 624
    Options

I always run spine chill so there are basically no jump scares for me. The only time it's scary to me is when it's down to the last survivor or two or when you are on your last hook.

• Jacoby2041
    Jacoby2041 Member Posts: 843
    Options

My heart rate is faster than a jackhammer that just snorted 500 lines of coke whenever I'm last survivor trying to open the gate

• dbd_noob
    dbd_noob Member Posts: 225
    Options

The pigs attack when you did not see her coming is something that scares me. Also Myers or ghostface when I am suddenly exposed and just don't see him. These are my favourite situations...

• MrPeterPFL
    MrPeterPFL Member Posts: 636
    Options

Myers! When he's watching you around the corner silently D:

• switch
    switch Member Posts: 489
    Options

In 2016 the first few months of playing, and last time i played against scratched myers on lery's can't remember the date was like 4 months ago... the only real times i was "holy ######### this is scary"

• Jago
    Jago Member Posts: 1,742
    Options

Hag traps

• Hoodied
    Hoodied Member Posts: 13,003
    Options

The last time I got spooked by a killer was Michael, I was sitting on discord while working on a generator and turned around and saw him grab me, I literally jumped off my bed

• LCGaster
    LCGaster Member Posts: 3,154
    Options

Last time was a few weeks ago when a Ghostface grabbed me off the gen

I jumped

• Mellow7
    Mellow7 Member Posts: 793
    Options

IMO the only one that's scary is prayer beads spirit because you can't see or hear her unlike other stealth killers they usually have heavy breathing or heavy footsteps to indicate they're near you.

• Predator3174PL
    Predator3174PL Member Posts: 302
    Options

Tbh. I got scared as a killer main few times by a survivors that jumped out of the corner I was next too when I didn't know they were there. It always ended by me jumping and hitting M1 as much as I could and hitting a survivor...

Never thought I will be scared as someone who should give scares…

• UlvenDagoth
    Options

Dude, that has happened to me so many times. "AH!" *M1 spam*

• iBetClaudette
    iBetClaudette Member Posts: 299
    Options

When opening the gate and I see the killer making his way towards me and he's got NOED. Heart pounds like crazy

• CoffengMin
    CoffengMin Member Posts: 862
    Options

only hag traps and the occasional myers scare me tbh, but im sure as hell new players are scared shitless for a bit

• Rydog
    Rydog Member Posts: 3,275
    Options

Just like with anything, familiarity is going to dull your reaction to it. It's not really a solvable problem with the game or the genre; it's just what is.

• CoffengMin
    CoffengMin Member Posts: 862
    Options

ill honestly admit the same, ft13th used to be so much scarier and id defitively play a game like that more than dbd if i ever find one, i honestly always liked dbd but bought it cuz of a friend also playing it , but i used to play ft13th before that,and played both until the lawsuit happened,truly a shame

• UlvenDagoth
    Options

"but since killers aren't intimidating at all" Was kinda what i was getting at with the start of this topic.

• Kilmeran
    edited September 2019
    Options

@CoffengMin Same here. I played F13 (and still do whenever I can get a lobby on PC) until the Steam 2018 Summer Sale. My 9-year-old is a huge horror fan and I let him get the game and DLCs like 8 months before that. Well, we all are horror fans here, actually. I write in the genre as part of my living, my father did Hollywood SFX for years, and my (now) 19-year-old daughter is learning SFX. And I mean the "Faceoff" contest show variety, not CGI.

Yeah, I let him play DbD that young. But he learned that it's all fake at a very early age when he saw his much older sister doing the make-up, sculpting, and masks. Then we showed him the videos of Robert Englund getting into the make-up for Freddy, and even took him to a convention here in Baltimore where he met and talked to both Englund and Kane Hodder (aka Jason). Then got to see Kane in full Jason make-up the next day and got his picture taken with him.

Horror has never scared him. Not in the slightest.

So, yeah, he was huge into playing DbD and either being some of his favorite horror slashers, or running from them. Begged me to get it to play survivor with him. I did. Two months later, he finally stopped playing and here I was with my own copy of the damned game and all the DLCs.

So, I still play it, but it's always been a side thing for me. I doubt I'll clock 1k hours in it, and will definitely never hit Red Ranks. I just play it when I want that slasher horror gaming on a night, and don't feel like doing bots in F13, since I can never find a late-night lobby over there.