I can't believe there are some people who say Spirit needs add ons to be the second best killer

lunaticlifter
lunaticlifter Member Posts: 426
edited September 2019 in General Discussions

So i used to main Spirit some months ago, but since it's became mainstream, and 99% of the people use the same exact build(sloppy, ruin. bbq, nurses) with purple or green add ons(duration-speed, charge time, reappearance boost or sadly prayer beads) and i hated face her as survivor i stopped playing her.. Now I tried by myself some different builds with

*no ruin, no slow down perks and no add ons,

*and an aggressive build (bbq-sbtfl-agitation-whispers)

in the red ranks..playing without ruin consist of making almost no mistakes, get the first hook fast and slug a little, so guess what? Yes sometimes i lose in bad maps and if ######### up in the beginning, Spirit may be harder to play like this, but honestly i noticed no difference in my gameplay and actually compared to before i enjoy more winning.. i guess it's easy to say spirit is good only with addons since all the Spirits i see run all the crutches possibles.. she become too easy to play like this, just a meta build, best add ons, good headphones ggez unless really good survivors.

Comments

• Marcus
    Marcus Member Posts: 2,047

Lately I started to see more Spirits playing without add-ons or with brown/yellow add-ons in high ranks and they still get the 4k, not everyone is spamming with her green or purple add-ons.

• ajbustetter
    ajbustetter Member Posts: 70

I tend to not run add-ons or I use the common ones as they accumulate. I dont play enough to get to the red ranks but i got paired with a red and 3 purple ranks last night on console. That was one of the most intense games ive played but i still got a 4k with 3 gens left in the end running common adds-ons. I always believed if you were skilled enough you could win at high ranks without add-ons if playing nurse, spirit, and some other killers. Was I wrong?

• Liruliniel
    Liruliniel Member Posts: 3,047

Spirits really good. She doesn't need ruin. When a Spirit is using ruin it's like a Billy using ruin securing the 4k or a bad Spirit. You can do well without addons at any rank as well. I started to stockpile them recently because I no longer use them.

• NuclearBurrito
    NuclearBurrito Member Posts: 6,807

Ye, Spirit is viable at base kit.

Although I will point out that Spirit's higher tier addons let you brute force loops that you normally have to mindgame. So if you are poor at mindgames then it might feel like you need them, but a Spirit main should be able to have good results without them.

• Poweas
    Poweas Member Posts: 5,873

Spirit's base is very strong. I play her without addons and Ruin. Heck my build isn't even that hardcore lol compared to the meta. A Nurses calling, Surveillance, BBQ and Chilli and STBFL. Two off meta perks (Surveillance and STBFL) and two meta perks. With no addons.

Compared to the hardcore builds Ruin, BBQ, NOED, and A Nurses calling, Yakuyoke Amulet and Prayer beads, I actually do better because I have a harder build and I'm used to it.

Just shows people see these addon users and think her base sucks.

• ajbustetter
    ajbustetter Member Posts: 70

Agreed. I always felt ruin and NoED were crutches/training wheels anyways.

• Acromio
    Acromio Member Posts: 1,737
    edited September 2019

She needs perks and a combination of rare/very rare addons to come somewhat close to matching the Hag. The Hag. Not even the Hillbilly.

Post edited by Acromio on
  • GrootDude
    GrootDude Member Posts: 14,110

I think he is a troll, this guy use to call spirit trash tier and his comments are usually trollish.

• OGlilSPOOK20
    OGlilSPOOK20 Member Posts: 716

It's funny they say that because Billy requires add-ons to be a top 3 killer.

Who here hasn't versed one Billy without instasaw or turning add-ons.

Billy's a good killer but kind of overrated. Good survivors that are good at timing pallet drops or using windows at right moments pretty much force Billy to M1.

Without thoughs add-ons his chainsaw is very easy to dodge.

• chieftaco
    chieftaco Member Posts: 230

most times, prayer beads or no, spirit is just funny for an advanced player to go up against.

i love how they load into a game all happy and salivating or whatever about how awesome their "mind games" are going to be on these loops to the point where they spend a lot of time looping themselves around in areas i left a long time ago, forgetting that i can always just leave the loop.. just loop them once or twice to encourage them to go "oooh.. you want to loop, huh? smileyface", and then pretty much the rest of the game is them trying to prove that they're smarter than you, but they tend to stay in the wrong parts of maps while trying to do it.

i'm not sure why its so common for me to almost never use a pallet and get chased for so long during spirit games and then watch people get ez downed and yoinked the rest of the game, dc'ing because of the prayer beads or just because it's a super toxic spirit or whatever..

• deadbyhitbox
    deadbyhitbox Member Posts: 1,117

Billy does not need addons to be a top 3 killer. Watch a good Billy play, and you'll see what he can do. Billy doesn't need Ruin or even addons to be very good.

• Kilmeran
    Kilmeran Member Posts: 3,142

@Fab I only play DbD occasionally so am still low ranked, but as I try to learn Killers, I specifically do not use add-ons or Perks like Ruin. I just run their base kit and some other Perks. The reason being is pretty much what you stated: I viewed them as training wheels of sorts, and I want to learn the Killer without them before I start using anything like that.

But I'm also a little nuts, so there's that.

• GrootDude
    GrootDude Member Posts: 14,110

False because I’ve never called Spirit trash tier.

• chieftaco
    chieftaco Member Posts: 230

...just curious.. you guys are aware that killer tiers refer to map presence & applying pressure, not crazy OPness, right?

billy is top tier because he can quickly get from one side of the map to the other. he is still very loopable and easy to force him to have to m1. with fast enough charge & cooldown, he's more likely to get a chainsaw somewhere because you messed up and ended up in the wrong spot, but without addons it's fairly easy for him to be looped into oblivion. just avoid places that give him multiple seconds to charge his saw.. if you're worried about "curving", try running around something a little smaller.

similarly with nurse, she may feel op, and she may be, if she can blink. if you don't want her to be op, take her somewhere where she can't blink, like under the piers at the swamp for example, or under the big house at the swamp.. tight areas with lots of stuff in the way easily nerf a nurse into oblivion, forcing her to "walk" and her walking speed is less than your running speed. in other words, as long as nurse has to walk, she can't catch you unless you're hiding.

• MegMain98
    MegMain98 Member Posts: 2,913
    edited September 2019

Spirit doesn’t NEED Ruin but gens can still easily get done without Ruin. Her map pressure isn’t great without add-ons. Her power is on a cooldown and she can only go 35 meters. It had a 15 second recharge time and she wastes her power to get to another side of the map. Even if she finds a survivor, she has to wait for her power to recharge to be viable in a chase. She can’t juggle map pressure and chase potential like Nurse and Hag without add-ons. This is just base kit.

Against good survivors you’ll need Ruin without add-ons. Spirit gets pretty fast downs but she can’t cover the map with no add-ons, ESPECIALLY a map like Rotten Fields or Red Forest.

This changes however if she has double purple add-ons or Mother-Daughter Ring. She doesn’t need Ruin then.

• OMagic_ManO
    OMagic_ManO Member Posts: 3,278

Just give me Spirit with PGTW, all I need.

• OGlilSPOOK20
    OGlilSPOOK20 Member Posts: 716

I have seen good Billy players play without add-ons and still struggle and I myself don't even use Ruin on my Billy & still manage to get 3 to 4 kills.

• MegMain98

He does that all the time. If he thinks Spirit is trash tier then he obviously doesn’t play often in red ranks. I’ve died, been camped, tunneled, and moried by so many garbage Spirit players with Prayer Beads and NOED. You can totally suck as killer, but if you have ears you’re gonna do well as Spirit.

In no way is she anything below second best killer.

• Liruliniel
    edited September 2019

Odd I usually do well without ruin and without addons on her at any rank I play at. I guess it might have to do with the fact I have been playing her since release. I can goof off till last second and still pull out a 4k.

Watching people using NoeD on Spirit makes me die a little inside.

• MegMain98

I can also play without Ruin and do well. I played her since her release as well, I’m just not playing het as frequently anymore due to two things. I’m burned out on killer and I feel bad for the survivors having to face Spirit because I know the pain.

Even if you’re the best Spirit player, it’s possible to get gen rushed. Plus not all survivors will be potatoes so you might commit to a chase longer than intended. She isn’t that great on larger maps without add-ons because she can’t cover enough ground AND have chase potential.

Spirit with NOED is like Nurse with NOED. Complete overkill.

• Mc_Harty
    Mc_Harty Member Posts: 3,293
  • MegMain98

Ehhh...I’d never put Spirit on Nurse tier because Nurse has no cooldown. Spirit still has to wait for her power to recharge. Spirit is the second best killer hands down but Nurse is in her own league.

• Chop
    Chop Member Posts: 32

Completely disagree, reason billy and nurse doesn't need ruin is because they both have the most insane map mobility allow them to patrol gens easier. Spirit mobility isn't as strong as billy and nurse and has to sacrifice her power for mobility or for chase. Billy can still insta down anytime unlike spirit who only has M1. Its totally fine to use ruin on spirit to slow the game down.

• brock
    brock Member Posts: 305

In theory. But some killers just suck without certain add-ons. Trapper with no bag takes ages to set up and wastes much more time than he needs to, making the add-on nearly a necessity.

• Liruliniel

I didnt say it wasn't fine to use it on her as you run into Billy and Nurse with them. I'm just saying she can function at high rank against the same level of survivors.