Would static maps have been better for Dead By Daylight?

I think the RNG with the different tiles is interesting in concept and it does change up the layout of maps but over the course of this games existence balancing the tiles has been a never ending nightmare for the developers and frustrating for players that get cucked by the RNG.

Sometimes i wonder how much better the game would have been if every map was static. Without having to account for a random element the devs could have gone over each map with a fine tooth comb and make them as fair as possible without random tile configurations getting in the way.

Totems, chests and gens would still be randomized in the layout but the physical layout and pallet spawns on the map would all be the same. This would also be great to help foster the more competitive scene of this game.

Just my 2 cents. I think the game would have been better with static maps. There are so many maps available now that variety is not an issue.

Comments

• Jimsalabim
    Jimsalabim Member Posts: 641

Except this is not a competitive game. it's a fun free for all cat and mouse game. Admitted some take this game way too serious hence the extreme try hards on both sides

• se05239
    se05239 Member Posts: 3,919

RNG is nice but the large landmark structures should be static.

Its not fun wondering if you're gonna lose a game because the Entity decided that the god window in the fallen Silo on Torment Creek's open or not.

• blue4zion
    blue4zion Member Posts: 2,773

Static maps would make the game feel more stale, the random maps make each match that much more different from the last.

• OGOzSnowChimp
    OGOzSnowChimp Member Posts: 247

No...

• Rouge
    Rouge Member Posts: 102

Honestly.. I think that the randomness adds a bit of uncertanty, a little bit of fear to the game. After all this is a horror game.

• TheRoyalOwl
    TheRoyalOwl Member Posts: 749

Yeah like @twistedmonkey said, having static maps would just make people memorize the maps so they know who to run them when needed.

• SadonicShadow
    SadonicShadow Member Posts: 1,146
    edited September 2019

this is pretty much the crux of my argument for static maps though. With a static layout the maps could be designed in such a way that there would not be overly safe areas. Each part of the map could be carefully analyzed and balanced in such a way that every area of the map is a fair playing field. It would not matter if a player memorized the layout of each map. All that would matter is that its designed to be fair for both sides.

• twistedmonkey
    twistedmonkey Member Posts: 4,291

They are already planning to rework the maps to remove the really safe pallets and make all of the be able to have mind games at.

Making the maps static won't really do much then and the maps just become more mundane as like I said peoe learn what areas have a better chance at so those start to become the go to areas.

Think about it some maps are pretty static apart from pallet spawns and they are some of the most complained about. The new Badham for example people like more.

Randomness is a huge part of what gives this game a fresher feeling each match from perks, items, maps, offerings etc.