Don't blame the killer for "tunneling"...

justarandy
justarandy Member Posts: 1,711
edited September 2019 in General Discussions

...when the unhooker unhooks you in TR, hides and leaves you alone. Instead you should blame your team mate for 2 things:

1. Unhooking in TR instead of waiting a little bit (I usually leave the area within 10 seconds as killer)

2. Hiding after unhooking instead of getting the attention of the killer so he has at least a choice

Usually, I come back to the hook and only see that poor guy who got unhooked running for his life. I usually look for the unhooker, but they hide. So what should I do? There is no choice but going for the only survivor I can see. Give me the choice not to "tunnel" and I will happily go for the unhooker. But don't complain in endgame chat when you hide as Blendette after every unhook about tunneling.

Just to clarify that, because many don't understand that.

Its also frustating as solo survivor. Dear unhooker, ffs... Offer yourself to the killer after unhooking me when he comes back instead if hiding in a bush. How can we win as a team when you don't give the killer a choice but to tunnel the same guy over and over again. Can't you see that we all have a better chance when everyone got hooked but it's still 4vs1 instead of only 1 person gets hooked but it's a 3v1?

Comments

• xmenfanatic
    xmenfanatic Member Posts: 816

It’s not “too risky”, you struggle with it. It takes time to learn how to track survivors and you won’t get better at it if you don’t practice by attempting it.

It may feel risky initially because it’s not a skill you’ve developed. In the end you aren’t trying to learn how to do that’s nd are doing something easy.

its your right to do it, but own up to it and don’t blame another player for your decision.

• xmenfanatic

That’s your decision. I’m saying he should own up to the fact that they are choosing to tunnel and it’s not the other players fault. It’s the choice of the player who is currently the killer.

• xmenfanatic

Just like any challenge, you need to face it to improve. Of course if you’re bad at it you will lose. It takes practice. I still stand by the statement that it’s STILL the killers fault becaus exits their choice, and the title of this thread is ridiculous.

Tunnel if you choose to. Just don’t displace the choice and not being yours when you do it

• QuickStiQz
    QuickStiQz Member Posts: 194

You didn't need to write an essay about how you shouldn't blame the killer for tunneling. It's ok. If that's the only survivor you see, go for him. And if they get mad at you in the end game chat? Just ignore it or try to have some fun with it like I do.

• TragicSolitude
    TragicSolitude Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 7,164
    edited September 2019

I keep having games where the killer will injure the unhooker before they make the save, then chase the just-unhooked survivor, anyway. As the unhooker, I've tried throwing myself in front of the killer to get them to chase me, instead, and they still tunnel the unhooked survivor. At the beginning of the match with 4 or 5 gens still left. So, while the advice to get the killer's attention isn't necessarily wrong... it also hasn't been working at all, lately.

As the unhooked, I've started just letting myself die when I get immediately hooked the second time, because it's not worth mashing the button on the controller just to get farmed and/or tunneled again. I'll take my 1k BP and move on.

As killer, I often don't care much about kills, myself. If someone makes a bad save, I'll usually go after them instead of the person who got unhooked; I know how much it sucks to be a victim of both the killer and your own teammates. At most I'll slug the unhooked to slow the game down and/or prevent the "safe unhook" event.

Anyway, the survivors make their own choices when playing, and it's the killer's choice to rehook, slug, or let be the victim of a hook farmer. When I'm a survivor, I get more annoyed at the hook farmer than the killer, but the killer still made a choice.

• artist
    artist Member Posts: 1,519

don't blame me if u get d striked

• NoShinyPony
    NoShinyPony Member Posts: 4,570

Even if you do see both survivors, you are allowed to tunnel. This is a PvP game, you are allowed to go for your opponent's weak spot, like in any other game. Also, survivors aren't helpless against tunneling, they have items, perks and teammates to help them.

• AetherBytes
    AetherBytes Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 3,029

I go for whoever shows the better option. Unhooked is injured, but is in a position to loop, while healthy savior is in the open? Go for savior. Unhooked is running into the open or right at me? We eating Meg tonight.

• TheGorgon
    TheGorgon Member Posts: 777

Agreed, but the killer also has a subconscious to possibly not tunnel. It's just the players, blame either.

• FireHazard
    FireHazard Member Posts: 7,314

But if I don't blame the Killer for me losing... who do I blame? - Every Green Rank Survivor.

• The_Manlet
    The_Manlet Member Posts: 474

It goes beyond hiding. A lot of people seem to think that they, a healthy survivor can run to the most defensible position on the map, away from any generator and emote at the killer and they'll surely get into a losing chase with them instead of looking for the unhooked survivor. It doesn't work that way. If you want the killer to go for you instead of the one who just got off the hook, you need to make it seem like the killer has a good shot at getting that first hit early. Until he can get at least one hit, a chase is completely worthless.

I think the reason survivors don't think about this sort of thing is that perks like Borrowed Time and Decisive Strike encourage them to play stupidly and have the perks do the work for them. You definitely won't see them running Babysitter, even though it's the perfect anti-tunnel perk.

• justarandy

Sorry but either you are trolling rn or you have no clue what you talking about.

• Steve0333
    Steve0333 Member Posts: 529
    edited September 2019

This is why ds is a necessary perk. Too many games the killer will tunnel especially at the end game (and you can't really blame the killer there.) DS has helped me escape so many times. One of the most useful perks in the game. I don't get survivors who don't use it. It will come in handy in at least 1 out of 3 games usually. And not just come in handy but be the difference in whether you escape or not.

• Mochan
    Mochan Member Posts: 2,886

Seems to me you're just passing the blame to the survivors for your tunneling behavior.

I don't blame you or the survivor though. I blame BHVR for their game design that encourages tunneling.

• PolarBear
    PolarBear Member Posts: 1,899

Survivors who complain are always the same type of survivors who go to the hook the second you turn your back and then you come back to the hook because you have no clue where other survivors are (because you had no time to look for them) and then they call you a tunneler and complain that you keep coming back to the hook.

• justarandy

When I play survivor and do a risky unhook (or the killer just comes back immediately) I ALWAYS present myself as bait to chase me. I also run around to mud the scratchmarks of my mates. Imo THATS how a good team mate plays. Taking the attention of the killer when needed instead of avoiding it and watching how your team mates are getting slaughtered.

• FireHazard
    FireHazard Member Posts: 7,314

This happens often in my matches also, I usually just see the injured Survivor and if on the rare ocassion I don't find the unhooker, I leave and patrol the other generators.

I refuse to tunnel, even when its spoon fed to me. Sometimes I will however hit the injured Survivor but dont pick them up, and just find the unhooker. This keeps the unhooked Survivor from just doing gens and or healing and than doing gens. My act of kindness isn't to be taken as weakness.

Its insurance if you will to slug them, but I refuse to actively tunnel any Survivor to death as I can see why it is annoying to have it happen to you, especially if I was the Survivor for example.

I don't camp either, if you need to camp and or tunnel a Survivor to get a sacrifice, than it just shows the lack of skill you possess in-general. Its kind of an unspoken rule of mine to not tunnel or camp.

• Predator3174PL
    Predator3174PL Member Posts: 302

Story of my life.

In that case I usually chase and down unhooked survivor and leave him be... for at least duration of DS... If I see someone else I go for the other person leaving unhooked one running or dying on floor depending on the situation

• Raptorrotas
    Raptorrotas Member Posts: 3,238

"Dont do the 80% generator in front of you, look for another one!"

"Dont do more than 30% of a henarator in one sitting. Swap gens!"

If that sounds stupid, welcome to what killers think about all those tunnel and camping claims.

---

Sad that apparantly killers arent allowed to play smart.

• Awakey
    Awakey Member Posts: 3,145

Can't get tunneled...

...if you don't get caught.

Joke by the way, calm down.

• Johnny_XMan
    Johnny_XMan Member Posts: 6,430
    edited September 2019

Honestly you play and do what you feel you need to do... regardless of how “scummy” it might seem. Obviously the survivor saving was not playing at optimal level. Taking a hit or giving up a hook matters in this game.

I just wish the “Nerf DS” threads would stop after this.

• brokedownpalace
    brokedownpalace Member Posts: 8,793

It would be more like if all 4 survivors insisted on doing the same gen together every time. That's more of an equivalent to tunneling than what you're talking about.

• Vadim239
    Vadim239 Member Posts: 217

I agree. If I haven't left the hook yet, and they're saving, I'm trying to find the unhooker, but if I don't find him, I'm going for that other guy.

• Vadim239
    Vadim239 Member Posts: 217

Take DS, Adrenaline etc/ and loop right.

• prettyf
    prettyf Member Posts: 442

this is true especially survivors looks decent or even swf

• Blackowt_9120
    Blackowt_9120 Member Posts: 300

if I see both I’ll do down the injured survivor and chase the unhooker. Double the pressure doubled the bp. But if I just see one or the other I’m taking what I see. If you’re going to make it easy to tunnel you, 3v1 is a lot easier on me than 4 v 1

• DiosPunishment
    DiosPunishment Member Posts: 1

I think many of you play Killer more on this forum than you do ig.

I can't even count how many times i've been taken off a hook or taken someone else off the hook. To watch the killer just blow by. As if you don't even exist.

This at the start of the match. Hex ruin is still up. The game is still in the killers hands and yet they choose to eliminate a player. For no other reason than. They have no confidence in their skill.

You know how you found the unhooked person over the other. You followed the scratch marks and cries. Vs scanning the area of the hook as you approached. The only scanning you did was for the weak player.

In the end it back fires on them. The other survivors trash your hex. Gen rush you down and your left with feeling proud i guess. Over hooking that one player.

• Beepbop123
    Beepbop123 Member Posts: 21

I blame the survivor 9/10 times for farming rather than blaming the killer.

I thought it would happen less the higher the rank but it doesn't, rank 7's are just as daft as 15+

• darktrix
    darktrix Member Posts: 1,790

That pretty much just says you want to tunnel. What do you do after you hook someome then - apparently not searching for someone else cause that is way too risky and loses momentum according to you. You wait for the unhook and rush back.

@xmenfanatic assessment is spot on.

• MegsAreEvil
    MegsAreEvil Member Posts: 819

Killers also tunnel when there are unhooks outside TR, thats how it goes. Also you have the choice to search the unhooker, noone forces you to play the cheap way, just because you wanna get easy kills, and killing the fun for the survivor, who isnt able to do anything about getting tunneled. Its a SHAME that killer still try to justify tunneling without having any serious arguments.

• Blackowt_9120
    Blackowt_9120 Member Posts: 300

You say it’s killing the fun of being a survivor but the fun of playing killer is...killing. So idk what to tell you

• Peanits
    Peanits Dev, Community Manager Posts: 7,531

Absolutely, but that only applies once they're on the hook. If you're competing against Borrowed Time and Decisive Strike, that's quite a bit of time for the other three to do generators (at least 60 second with just DS, more if they don't go full potato). While you're chasing them, everyone else is going to go back to generators. If there's three people alive, by the time you hook that guy again, three generators can go off.

Having one dead is definitely going to slow the game down, I won't argue that, but only if there's still a game left to slow down.

• johnmwarner
    johnmwarner Member Posts: 3,793

This is more of a fundamental issue with the game @Peanits even a decent survivor can make a chase 30-60 seconds meaning almost every chase you’re in 3 gens could get done but your solution as devs is always “you didn’t put enough pressure as killer.”

• joker7997
    joker7997 Member Posts: 899

I will always go for the unhooker unless I'm getting my ass handed to me already. BBQ stacks, and also its the nice thing to do, even though most survivors don't deserve it

• Frosty
    Frosty Member Posts: 375

I'll stop doing what is effective when the survivors stop doing what is effective.

I'll go for the closest/easiest option as it presents it self. If that just so happens to be a freshly rescue survivor then to bad. I also know when I'm being ran to a dead part of the map and know when to end a chase.

Tunneling in my opinion can only happen when the hook is being camped and there is intention on going for the same survivor, and if that works then blame your team for feeding into it.

This is a reactionary game, survivors can limit options and gain a certian amount of control of they play smart, its not out fault spuds play and I'm not going to show sympathy.

• JordanMalicious
    JordanMalicious Member Posts: 383

Nah man, I play a lot of games where the killer is far enough away, I get unhooked, and the killer would've had to run by my teammates to get to me, ignores them, and just tracks me down. If I get unhooked while in the killers tr or while the killer is right next to the hook, yes, I expect to go down, but ignoring other survivors just to search for the unhooked survivor is bm imo. If there is 1 gen left or its the egc, sure, find that injured Survivor so you can secure a kill, but if there are 3+ gens left and you're still just searching for whoever was last unhooked every time, you're playing like a turd.