Why did they give the killers the ability to close the hatch?

Options

I mean im not tryinf to hate on anything I love this game to the fullest but i feel like the killer being able to close the hatch is a bit to much honestly. Atleast before when killers would camp the hatch you had half a chance to open a door.

Best Answers

Answers

• plentity
    plentity Member Posts: 9
    Options

who knows awhya do they let killers do anyting, to be hnest lol

• LadyPotato
    LadyPotato Member Posts: 2
    Options

So we all get punished hahaha

• Mushwin
    Mushwin Member Posts: 4,578
    Options

Also so survs aren't constantly hiding in lockers and stopping the game to be ended, hatch stand offs were the worst.

• MiniPixels
    MiniPixels Member Posts: 534
    Options

It's mainly because the hatch stand off was an incredibly painful process that would last for 5-10 minutes. This is additionally assisted by the end game collapse, which is in my opinion one of the best additions to the game in a long time.

• KillermainBTWm8
    KillermainBTWm8 Member Posts: 4,212
    Options

Only over an hour pfft... Casual. I saw someone have a hatch stand off for 24 god damn hours.

• Dreamnomad
    Dreamnomad Member Posts: 3,691
    Options

I hate this argument so much. I'm fine with the EGC and the killer shutting the hatch. But I've seen this argument made many times in the past and it always bothered me. The killer was always in control of when the hatch stand off ends. All the killer had to do was hit the survivor. Bam, end of hatch stand off.

• FireHazard
    FireHazard Member Posts: 7,314
    edited September 2019
    Options

@LadyPotato Because, many would agree that sitting and staring at the hatch in that one spot of the map when the last Survivor is alive is incredibly boring and unproductive.

The EGC exists to give the Trial a definite end, and I for one welcome the change with open arms. Whenever I had one Survivor left i'd just find the hatch and than see if I can catch them before they find it.

If we both found it at the same time i'd hit them and just end the match. I'm not waiting 6 hours+ to kill a Survivor when I could be doing anything else with my time.

Its honestly common sense, do you want to sit on a hatch for hours because of some entitled ego complex? Or do you want to move on and play the game...

• Attackfrog
    Attackfrog Member Posts: 1,134
    Options

I should not even be able to move, let alone hit a survivor.

They are called "SURVIVOR'S" for ****s sake...they should be surviving!

• EldritchElise87
    EldritchElise87 Member Posts: 626
    Options

All the killer had to do was hit the survivor to end the stand off, and the survivor wins.

All the survivor had to do to end the stand off was jump in the hatch, and the killer wins.

You can see if both parties wanted to win, how that might be an impasse?

Although as least survivors had some options, trying to bait a swing, going to finish the gens. All the killer could really do is just pretend to afk.

• Kwanghyun
    Kwanghyun Member Posts: 186
    Options

Why would you give the last survivor a free escape just because you were good enough to wipe out everyone else and did not slug in the end? Why would you want that ######### nonsense standoff again? Why is the hatch in the game anyway? You can close it now, but it spawns at 5 gens even. It was a trade off. Whoever finds it first gets it. But if it’s the killer, you still have 3 minutes to open a door and still get away. There is nothing to complain about here.

• TeaLeaf
    TeaLeaf Member Posts: 205
    Options

It was maid to remove the issue of hatch stand-offs which were annoying and time consuming. Also it helped scale back a single second chance for the survivors (survivors get a lot of second chances). This one specifically allows survivors even if their team failed to possibly make it out, however unlike which it pertinently open its a race with the killer to find it now. The chance is there still however its not as sure of a thing as it use to be which is good.

• Dreamnomad
    Dreamnomad Member Posts: 3,691
    Options

I'm going to wave the BS flag. If the killer allowed a hatch standoff situation to happen in the first place then they lost. If the killer slugs the second to last survivor instead of hooking them, they have a 4 minute bleedout timer to find the last survivor. 4 minutes! If the killer can't locate a survivor in 4 minutes then that survivor deserves the hatch. If the killer fails to slug the second to last survivor then the killer deserves to lose the last kill. The killer also has the opportunity to find and down the survivor away from the hatch too. The killer always had opportunity and control over the hatch system. Too many just failed to realize their own failure and blamed it on the system.

• Alice_pbg
    Alice_pbg Member Posts: 6,556
    Options

Oh yeah, slugging the 3rd guy...so much fun for everyone right?

Not like that became a thing specifically to avoid the hatch standoff right?

Obviously something that was always present.

• NuclearBurrito
    NuclearBurrito Member Posts: 6,807
    Options

Irrelevant. The standoff existed and it needed to be fix.

The EGC mechanic fixed it and made slugging less common because no one likes to be slugged for the full 4 minutes.

Neither side has any particular obligation or motivation to end the standoff. That's what makes it a standoff. Both sides want the other to end the stalemate but doing it themselves results on a loss, again neither side wants this, so nothing happens.

• Mochan
    Mochan Member Posts: 2,886
    edited September 2019
    Options

Endgame Collapse does those.

Closing the hatch does none of the above. Killer giving the ability to close the hatch just makes the game unnecessarily harder for survivors. It's okay actually in concept because without the closing mechanic survivors would easily escape.

But not with current gate placement.

• Hoodied
    Hoodied Member Posts: 13,003
    Options

It is to remove a thing that hatch caused called "Hatch Standoff", this caused around 1 hour games sometimes if the killer and survivor were dedicated to winning

• EldritchElise87
    EldritchElise87 Member Posts: 626
    Options

My point was that arguments like these, putting the blame on either killers or survivors and neither wanting to give in, and all the back and forth about who "deserves" the hatch that we say on the forums ad nausem, nobody wants to go back to that. EGC fixes this nonsense.

• NuclearBurrito
    NuclearBurrito Member Posts: 6,807
    Options

Exactly. We all know I deserve the hatch regardless of my role anyways so there is no point arguing about it.

• LordGlint
    LordGlint Member Posts: 8,029
    Options
  • TragicSolitude
    TragicSolitude Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 6,832
    edited September 2019
    Options

It wasn't just about the hatch standoff. The survivor wasn't actually forced to leave. Whether the hatch had spawned or not, it was possible for a survivor to hide around the map, not touching objectives, not leaving, forcing the killer to either search the map forever or disconnect and lose their points. Now, once it's down to one survivor, the killer has the ability to end the game. And that was absolutely needed. No longer can one survivor hold the game hostage.

If the survivor finds the hatch first, great, they leave, game over. If the killer finds the hatch first, they close it, the game ends in three minutes or less (barring a slug). The killer shouldn't be at the mercy of the survivor for the match to end.

Hatch standoffs may have been a choice made by both sides, but holding the game hostage instead of touching objectives or leaving was a choice made solely by the survivor, and an inexperienced killer (especially one without Whispers) was completely screwed and often forced to disconnect in those scenarios. Being able to close the hatch gives some control back to killers.

Survivors get the benefit of the hatch spawning with no gens done, now. That's the trade-off, and plenty of survivors have gotten to escape a match because of it.

• TheALIEN
    TheALIEN Member Posts: 327
    Options

F*ck ‘em- I’ll slam it every time just to add that bit of extra pressure on my last prey- forces them to act more recklessly Xx

• Raptorrotas
    Raptorrotas Member Posts: 3,226
    Options

Why is it that everyone arguing that being able to close the hatch might be too much ALWAYS forgets that the hatch lost its spawning requisites.

Also: Survivor finds the hatch first: game over

Killer finds hatch first: game skips all unfinished generators and grants another chance for the survivor.

The Endgame/hatch solution is still more survivor-sided than killer-sided.

• Raven014
    Raven014 Member Posts: 4,188
    Options

Because hatch standoffs were boring and always in survivor favor.

• Raven014
    Raven014 Member Posts: 4,188
    Options

But gates are random with exception of indoor maps. And gates can be easy to open if they aren't right next to each other as survivor.

• Richter_Cade
    Richter_Cade Member Posts: 91
    Options

Because the alternative was an anti fun standoff where both killer and survivor stood looking at each other and the first to press a button lost. It could potentially go on for hours though normally just until one person decided the win mattered less than their time.