About rank reset

Pm_me_entity_lewds
Pm_me_entity_lewds Member Posts: 12
edited September 2019 in General Discussions

What's the point of doing it so often?

Got the game like 2-3 weeks ago and I was noticing the skill level of some people clearly didn't match their ranks.

I got to rank 8 (barely) and after the reset I was 13. The games were awful. I was either stomping ranks 15-16 or I was literally destroyed by 10-11 ranks.

I read somewhere this is necessary so everyone didn't end up in red ranks. Then why not add more, or try to change the way they work? Most games with ranked mm actively try to discourage and punish deranking/smurfing, but in dbd it lowkey feels like they do it legally for you to some extent.

It doesn't stop just waiting for people to rank up. It's a grind. I should be rank 8-9, but I probably won't get there for x reason be it lack of time or motivation to play. As of now i'm rank 12 and I would be 15 next reset, just in range to give an awful experience to the new players this new dlc will bring.

It just doesn't make any sense.

Comments

• Kilmeran
    Kilmeran Member Posts: 3,142
    edited September 2019

@Pm_me_entity_lewds It doesn't make any sense to me either.

And it isn't even that Behavior is "de-ranking you legally," as you put it. De-ranking yourself is unpunished in Dead by Daylight. Some of their biggest streamers are known for purposefully deranking on live streams. And yeah, Behavior is aware of it.

• I thought that was bannable but well, no wonder games can be so one-sided.

• Kilmeran
    Kilmeran Member Posts: 3,142
    edited September 2019

@Pm_me_entity_lewds In any other game with Ranks, it would be. Here? Here is apparently not just the fog, it's the Twilight Zone.

Not only do players de-rank themselves, but then the monthly rank reset drops that false lower rank even lower. That's why there's general advice to never play DbD the first week after a rank reset if you're a legitimate low-ranked player. The experience is even worse than usual.

But, rank has zero to do with skill in this game, for a lot of reasons, the most obvious of which is all the purposeful deranking. And since rank is used for matchmaking, it means matchmaking is near useless in DbD in a lot of cases. Especially at green ranks and above.