Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

Question For The Killers

My question involves the perk Head On.

Is this perk considered toxic? It seems like killers get really pissed when I land alot of Head On. Which, I generally get an average of 4 Head On per game, some games I get alot more, some games I don't get any. Some killers tend to play sweatier(tunelling,camping,slapping the body) after I start to land a Head On or two, you know it seems like they really don't like it.

I've had some games where I end up landing 6+ sometimes. You can imagine how badly killers want to DC (assuming they don't actually dc)

Just curious everyones opinion on the perk.

Comments

• FireHazard
    FireHazard Member Posts: 7,314
    edited September 2019

No its not, its a very niche perk at best that works on occasion. For me personally, it only really buys a Survivor a few seconds more to continue a loop but that's about it.

I've never encountered a game where a Head On proc costed me a chase, its just to extend a chase and that's about it.

If Killers get mad over Head On, than I don't know... git gud? Like, its not something that's even hard to avoid when you're aware that a Survivor has it, once I know a Survivor has it, it won't work on me again because I fake out locker checks when I know they're in a locker.

• GrootDude
    GrootDude Member Posts: 14,110

Nope

• ad19970
    ad19970 Member Posts: 6,356

No, of course not. Like not even in the slightes. Did yoface multiple people that told you that perk is toxic?

I don't know, sometimes it's hard to comprehend how people think it's toxic to use certain perks that are available in the game, just because they don't like it. No perk is toxic, they are all allowed to be used.

Head On isn't in any way op either, good for you if you manage to juke the killer to hit them with the perk.

The 3 second activation time makes the perk not useful in enough situations anyways.

• NuclearBurrito
    NuclearBurrito Member Posts: 6,807

Def not. Toxicity is an intention, you can't do it on accident.

• Coriander
    Coriander Member Posts: 1,119

They get angry no matter what. I managed to evade someone for about thirty seconds and they stood there at hook hitting me over and over. I never crouch and while it's rare I attempt a flashlight save I've never succeeded with the new system. I usually get the blind but they never drop.

• NuclearBurrito
    NuclearBurrito Member Posts: 6,807

Speak for yourself. Everyone here just said it's fine and I'm sure most of us don't get mad.

• LegitAdventurer
    LegitAdventurer Member Posts: 505

The perk is rather difficult to use, so i feel theres a pretty big gap of luck and skill to properly utilize Head On. The perk is one of the worst exhaustion perks realistically, but i still manage to buy time mid chase, or even get some clutch saves when killers carrying survivors lol.

• FireHazard
    FireHazard Member Posts: 7,314

You have to do it right when the animation is almost over, its kinda an odd conception to go with compared to how it used to be but that's the only real way I've gotten it off more than once in a Trial...

Most people (like me) just face a wall though when they pick a Survivor up, making the mechanic completely pointless in that case...

• LegitAdventurer

Flashlight saves? No no no.

It's all about those Head On saves!

• Alice_pbg
    Alice_pbg Member Posts: 6,556

I see it the same way I see flashlight saves.

"Oh you motherf..." and then I procced to play normally. It doesn't bother me.

Unless it happens again, then I get angry at myself for falling for it again XD

• FishFry247
    FishFry247 Member Posts: 696

Not toxic it just becomes really expected after the first stun so don't expect to get it off many times unless you got a squad running it

• LegitAdventurer

Nahhh. I've been a quick and quiet main since before head on came out. I can land more Head On than you would think lol.

• FishFry247

Yea head on can be a bummer but 3 seconds isn't a lot in the long run

• LegitAdventurer

It really isn't much. Its more of a nuisance than anything lol. Until its a grab save.

• Alice_pbg

Technically, besides decisive, it's the perk that gives you the most distance on a killer.

I think

• FishFry247
    edited September 2019
  • Alice_pbg

Nope.

3 second stun is quite a big deal distance wise.

On exhaustion perks the killer is still going after you, but when you stun him, he can't move.

So while you go further with an exhaustion perk, you gain more distance from the killer with head on

• Xboned
    Xboned Member Posts: 461

I watched a lot of killer streamers before I started regularly playing, so Head On is one of those mythical perks that I'm always on the look out for. At first I didn't get why all these seemingly unstoppable players got so scared around lockers, but once I saw, I understood.

I think it makes killers mad because every second is precious to a killer. A three second stun feels like a ######### eternity when I know the game is getting away from me. I can't imagine being stunned multiple times in a match, I'd be pissed.

Also, presumably you messed up their plans by doing that. Killers hate it when people mess up their plans. It's stressful and embarrassing to be a 7-ft murder machine getting clowned by some anemic hamster with glasses.

I think emotional maturity helps distinguish good killers from the rest. Pros channel frustration productively while scrubs chase Nea for 5 minutes and 3 generators because she t-bagged me.

• Blackowt_9120
    Blackowt_9120 Member Posts: 300

i imagine you’re in brown ranks, maybe green. That can work like once per match above that though, but usually just the once

• FishFry247

Not completely true depending on the situation, certain things like balanced you put a window between you and the killer and make massive distance. Plus you could miss head on a give the killer a free hit

• LegitAdventurer
    edited September 2019

Head on is extremely situational, having the be in a locker, wait 3 seconds, jump out at the right time AND have the killer in range.

To me, that's what makes this perk so thrilling to use. It's such an unexpected perk that killers aren't normally on the lookout for, then once you've landed 1 or 2, the killers are prepared for it. That's when the perk becomes even MORE fun to use because it's even that much more rewarding to land!

My favorite is to sneak into random's being chased in loops and flipping in and out of a locker and getting a Head On to buy the guy being chased some extra time.

• LegitAdventurer

Well..rank just reset lol. But ive been playing head on consistently in red and purple ranks since the perk came out (even when it was bugged and broken!)

Lots and lots of practice lol.

• AetherBytes
    AetherBytes Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 3,028

I get pissed when it lands, but I don't consider it toxic since it rarely ever actually saves you.

• Animalheadskull
    Animalheadskull Member Posts: 478

I just always thought it was a gimmick perk, not gonna win the game for ya or anything.

• Alice_pbg

True.

But if you just fall (which is most places you get balanced landing) killer will ve closer than after a head on.

Oh yeah, head on is risky.

• Boss
    Boss Member Posts: 13,614

You're right that i don't like being stunned.

I don't like getting stunned in any game.

But i'm not gonna be toxic about it.

• TragicSolitude
    TragicSolitude Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 7,140

I consider Head On to be a unicorn. At first I might be like, "Dammit, they stunned me!" but then I'll be like, "Heh, wow, they pulled that off." It's a meme-y perk, very situational, and if they're trying to use it the survivor is often just having fun, no reason to take it personal or consider it toxic.

• HatCreature
    HatCreature Member Posts: 3,298

I'm ok with it, I have never seen anyone get that many stuns in one match before, I would love to know how you do it as I love Head-On.

To be honest, if 1 person gets me with Head-On more than once I will want that person dead and will see it as an accomplishment. I may smack you a few times but compared to how many times I got stunned that seems fair but it's all in good fun.

• LegitAdventurer

Its all about wasting all of your time. Instead of being a productive gen jockey like your survivor friends you spend all your time being a big fat altruistic locker flipper lolol.

Have a friend who is good at looping the killer and have them run Vigil for ultimate Head On experience!

• LegitAdventurer
    edited September 2019

The top 5 ways to use Head On!

1: The (Smart) Save:

Have a survivor die (position yourself accordingly for quick saves / randoms) in a spot that will make the killer have to walk passed a locker to get to a hook, this will usually rely on a little bit of dumb luck that the killer will walk to the hook you have in mind, but when in a pinch...

2: The (SWF/Dumb) Save:

Don't get me wrong, this method will work once, any more than that, and the killer is just not paying attention. This method involves a survivor dying directly in front of a locker that you're in, as soon as the killer picks the survivor up and leaves animation, Head On.

3: Looping pt. 1:

These next three don't necessarily NEED Quick and Quiet, it just makes it significantly easier to pull off. Method 1 involves flipping into a locker right in the middle of the chase, this is best used after pallet stunning the killer, or when killer doubles back for mind games. Usually the killer will notice in due time you went into the locker after wasting 4 or 5 seconds trying to find you. Head On to waste even more of his time.

4: Looping pt. 2:

Exactly the same method as pt. 1 except this is to be used while another survivor is looping the killer, this can save an injured survivor from a dead hit, or bloodlust 3. This can also pull the agro away from someone being tunneled.

5: Houdini Smash:

This is my all time favorite way to head on. Find 2 lockers right near eachother, preferably directly acrossed from eachother. Make a loud sound check on the locker by fast vaulting out of the locker (right before quick & quiet is about to come back) then immediately flip into the locker across from the one you vaulted out of. Usually the killer will waste his time coming to check the locker which then allows a free Head On.

Disclaimer: step 5 almost always pulls the killers agro.

BONUS

6: The Basement Locker.

Basement saves with Head On are tricky but flip into the far left (right? Closest to the hooks) locker at the bottom of the stairs. If you time it right you can actually Head On The killer for some OP basement saves.

• Attackfrog
    Attackfrog Member Posts: 1,134

There are no toxic perks in this game, only toxic people.

If someone is salty, any perk you run when you win is "toxic".

Run what you want.

• AChaoticKiller
    AChaoticKiller Member Posts: 3,104

For real? 4 head ons wow thats either some really dumb killers your playing against or your trying to get them with it a lot. Once i know someone has head on i just swing into a locker i would check or a locker someone would be in and a lot of the time i hit them as they stun me which i wouldn't count as getting a successful head on stun. it can be used on the killer when hes chasing someone else but every survivor thats tried that with me i heard them go into the locker except for one case were a survivor used Q&Q but he still didn't extend the chase too much. when someone is hiding by a gen thats been worked on its obvious they're using it when i know they have it, if they are hiding in a random locker simply looking at the lockers while passing them scares people into using it which saves time looking for them. i feel like the perk just gives people too much confidence but it makes lockers semi viable for safety.

• LegitAdventurer

Yeah. I basically just TRY and get as many head on per game as I can lol. Its a goal. But i still tty and stay productive and do gens and not just hide in lockers all day like a Dwight