I was WRONG about the Demogorgon's Portals

Options
NMCKE
NMCKE Member Posts: 8,243
edited September 2019 in General Discussions
Prologue

Basically, I watched a lot of YouTubers and Streamers play the Demogorgon during the PTB, and my first impressions of its Portals was meh...

However, yesterday, I bought the Demogorgon with 500 Auric Cells (I know, could've bought the DLC for a better prize, but I wanted to support BHVR) and I gave him a try. Well, I am wrong, his portals are really good because I tried placing them out of LoS from generators and I got countless grabs from it.

Epilogue

All in all, his portals are pretty good, and try placing them in blind spots where survivors have to check on them every now and then. :)

Comments

• Hoodied
    Hoodied Member Posts: 13,003
    Options

I will try this today, thanks me dude

• Mochan
    Mochan Member Posts: 2,886
    Options

His portals are good. There are people complaining they're useless, but I've fought some Demos who did a number on me sneaking up behind me thanks to the portals.

I haven't actually played Demogorgon yet, will get around to that after I'm done getting all of Steve and Nancy's perks onto my mains.

• NMCKE
    Options

Yeah, I got tons of grabs from them!

They either had to get rid of the Portal or waste time checking it every time I used a Portal. Sometimes they prematurely leave a generator because they think I'm heading to their generator when I'm going to someone else's generator. :)

• Spooky13
    Spooky13 Member Posts: 1,471
    Options

I've been more so placing them on top of gens and using Channel Abyss to see if people are on that gen. Going for sneaky Demo hasn't really worked for me.

• NMCKE
    edited September 2019
    Options

Didn't they make it where you can't place Portals within 4 meters of an object? (Hooks, Exit Gates, Generators, totems, and etc.)

Edit: Can > Can't

• FishFry247
    FishFry247 Member Posts: 696
    Options

I've played him till rank one a didn't get lucky enough to get a single grab. But I thought his portals were bad at first to, They are pretty useful but you should be able to manually destroy them, that is the only down side of them imo

• Spooky13
    Options

You can place them really close to gens and totems to where Of The Abyss triggers and you can see them while working on said object. You have to place them pretty far away in comparison to hooks and exit gate switches. Gives him good totem protection.

• Boss
    Boss Member Posts: 13,614
    Options

So just think like a Trapper: Not the obvious spots. 👍️

• NMCKE
    Options

Did you see my edit?

So, the 4 meters nerf is only for Hooks and Exit Gates? :)

I might try that!

• TWiXT
    TWiXT Member Posts: 2,063
    edited September 2019
    Options

With the Mew's Guts and Rotten Pumpkin add-on's granting me 8 portals, I tried a cheeky tactic that was all about misdirection. I placed 1 portal pretty much in LOS of a gen, and 1 a few meters away and out of LOS of the gen and the 1st portal. Then I opened the first/obvious portals, and periodically checked to see if anyone was near them or trying to seal them. Once it was confirmed that's what they were up to, I Emerged from the hidden portal, and consistently jump-scared the crap outta them with grabs and surprise attacks. Since they were oblivious while sealing portals and they thought they were sealing the only one I put there, I got a lot of early hooks, and survivors became paranoid throughout the match.

This fun little tactic worked pretty well for early-mid game, but by endgame they were much more cautious around the portals, and pretty much gave up on sealing them, which was unfortunate for me since that left me with 0 portals to put down for the rest of the match, but the pressure I applied early-mid game was well worth it.

• Spooky13
    Options

Pretty sure it's only for hooks and gates. The only thing that sucks is that you'll be placing a lot of portals because they'll get destroyed frequently.

• NMCKE
    Options

Alright, I'll give it a shot, and I'll do @TWiXT's tactic to see if that combos well with your idea! :)

• Hag.is.Dtier
    Hag.is.Dtier Member Posts: 1,398
    Options

What I do is place one at an exit gate, go for early hooks and then go for a 3 gen strat with the portals. Pop is the best perk for this, along with thrilling tremors.

• NMCKE
    Options

Should probably level him up then!

This sounds like a great combo with his Portals! :D

• Horus
    Horus Member Posts: 850
    Options

Depends on your rank

• PolarBear
    PolarBear Member Posts: 1,899
    Options

I hide them as well but then I forget about them because I don't know when someone is working on those gens and then they complete them and I have one useless portal behind a completed gen. I tried discordance but it only gets you that far. If they're not teaming up you're not getting those sneak attacks unless you're really checking those portals often.

• Hag.is.Dtier
    Hag.is.Dtier Member Posts: 1,398
    edited September 2019
    Options
  • YeetoDorito
    YeetoDorito Member Posts: 55
    Options

I've done it and survivors just hear me going through portals and run away from the gens when they dont even see me

• Raven014
    Raven014 Member Posts: 4,188
    Options

Only with exit gates, I think. Totems and gens you can place them right next to it.

• slingshotsurvivor
    slingshotsurvivor Member Posts: 943
    Options

They are AMAZING! I've used them at gates, basement and 3 gen strat 😍

TL;DR The Portals are AMAZING

• AetherBytes
    AetherBytes Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 3,003
    Options

They can still detect anyone on the gate btw, so it doesn't stop you from using it to see who's there.

• HatCreature
    HatCreature Member Posts: 3,298
    Options

You got GRABS?

How did you get grabs? Like, you need to know what Gen they're on to get a grab, was it all luck? BBQ and Chili? Thrilling? A grab is impressive because the thought of doing that with Demo never crossed my mind.

• ad19970
    ad19970 Member Posts: 6,347
    Options

Really? I'm just surprised cause I thought survivors could hear his footsteps from 16 meters away.

• Blueberry
    Blueberry Member Posts: 13,496
    edited September 2019
    Options

One issue I have with them is not being able to move your camera during travel, especially noticeable when using his ultra rare as it hinders its usefulness a lot. Overall though I agree, I do think his portals are nice and not where I take issue for the most part.

My issue is with his perks being extremely underwhelming and the unnecessary negative they are attaching to his new ultra rare.

Also, his lunge just feels like a worse Billy chainsaw. Same jist, but not a 1 shot and doesn't have the flick to change directions like Billy's.

I find him fun but overall he seems to do the same thing Billy does but just worse to an extent.

The pallet break on lunge that's coming is nice and all, but that does nothing to improve his viability almost at all. Even with his lunge he comes out feeling like another M1 killer.

• NMCKE
    Options

There was a LT loop and on the long wall side of the L part of the loop, I placed a Portal on the outside. The generator was inside on the other side of the L part of the loop. Since new Portals aren't revealed to survivors until used, I got a grab because undetectable hides you! :)

• NMCKE
    Options

Sometimes I got grabs, some prematurely ran away from the generator because they thought I was coming to them. It depends! 😊

• anarchy753
    anarchy753 Member Posts: 4,212
    Options

I just hate that there's no way to balance between stealthy approaches and killer instincts. Either I know they're there, but they're aware there's a portal, or I'm guessing but there's still a chance they'll run when they hear the roar.

I've taken to running surveillance as it means I can emerge near a gen from a portal they can't see.

• Coriander
    Coriander Member Posts: 1,117
    Options

I had a demo 3-gen the last survivors in the new map, and he had two portals together in one room. No one could cleanse one fast enough and he always came back to put more.

• Cardgrey
    Cardgrey Member Posts: 1,454
    Options

Err my thought is territorial imperative and make your choice.

1 get a basement hook

2 put a portal at the top of stairs.

3 leave to chase others 

4 put portal down when territorial imperative goes off

5 warp back missing there borrowed time and getting make your choice

6 catch at top of stairs

7 profit

• Richter_Cade
    Richter_Cade Member Posts: 91
    Options

It's a very good thought, probably why it's a YouTube video already.

Trying to say you didn't already watch Otz do this? You really gonna try and credit yourself with this strat?

• GrootDude
    GrootDude Member Posts: 14,110
    Options

I haven’t played as him yet but he isn’t very hard to face in my experience, I haven’t played as him though so I can’t say for sure if he’s good.😅

• ReviloDBD
    ReviloDBD Member Posts: 582
    Options

Question about the Portals..

When you Teleport to a new place, do you give off Terror Radius at the location at which you arrive? Because wouldn't the Survivors working on the Gen near there hear the terror radius pop up all of the sudden around a corner and make a run for it? Just wondering.

• Piwatte
    Piwatte Member Posts: 162
    Options

That's a new reason for people to play SWF. I don't like to play SWF, so I'm not playing, boring of these toxic players (survivors as killers), can we play with fun in that game ? Just wondering.

• Richter_Cade
    Richter_Cade Member Posts: 91
    Options

No, you don't have a tr when you use a portal and for a few seconds afterwards, or a red stain.

• LCGaster
    LCGaster Member Posts: 3,154
    Options

I always try to put them down in hidden places

Watching Youtubers like Tru3 i was always thinking "Why?"

• Marcus
    Marcus Member Posts: 2,047
    Options

I don't how can you grab survivors with Demo, his portals have audio cues whenever he teleports. Maybe you can grab them when they seal a portal and they are Oblivious, but still, they shouldn't be grabbed because they know they can't hear your TR while they seal portals, so they should be more aware of their surroundings.

• Ihatelife
    Ihatelife Member Posts: 5,069
    Options

Exactly!

• Cardgrey
    Cardgrey Member Posts: 1,454
    Options

O.o