Hoodied Member Posts: 13,019
edited October 2019 in General Discussions

Made a mistake, read the comment under the post that they made

Comments

• Kilmeran
    Kilmeran Member Posts: 3,142
    edited October 2019

Stephen King did not inspire The Mist.

The Mist was a film, and then television series, that adapted a novella by Stephen King.

He didn't inspire it, he created and wrote the novella they are licensed on.

https://www.amazon.com/Mist-Stephen-King/dp/1982103523/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=The+Mist&qid=1570321018&s=books&sr=1-1

• rNine_
    rNine_ Member Posts: 42

IT part 2 has made over $1 billion dollars at the box office. If we're getting anything from a steven king novel it's going to be the clown, it just makes too much sense in comparison to anything else at the moment.

• Kilmeran
    edited October 2019

@TheHoodedOne Strangely, The Mist was the only Stephen King book that didn't cure my insomnia.

The man can create good stories and characters, but damn his writing style and pacing puts me to sleep.

• BBQnDemogorgon
    BBQnDemogorgon Member Posts: 3,615

IT 2 was that successful?

I remember everyone saying it was boring/not scary/the first was way better and so on.

• Kilmeran

@DudeDelicious I need to give Salem's Lot a shot. People who tend to agree with me about King always point to that book as an exception.

• Kilmeran
    edited October 2019

@BBQnDemogorgon Two things to remember when correlating the financial success of IT Part 2 with general reviews.

First, those who stated those things already paid their money into the studio revenue pool to see it.

Second, those who spent the time and money to go see Part 1 were going to see Part 2 regardless.

Movie-goers, in general, hate not completing a series. Look at Disney Star Wars. Solo was a disappointment for the studio, but even after the poor feedback regarding The Last Jedi, people will still go see Episode 9 to complete the trilogy. But in the case of a standalone like Solo, a lot skipped it in theaters.

• Cinderella
    Cinderella Member Posts: 5

I've struggled with his films so many are just so boring. It was probably the only one I've likes so far. Also don't watch in the tall grass nothing happens for two hours

• Attackfrog
    Attackfrog Member Posts: 1,134

Stephen is great. He takes fantastic stories that were written on a higher level by other authors and dumbs them down to the lowest common denominator for mass audiences.

Look at the Dark Tower series, Misery, Room 1408 (or whatever room it was). All just dumbed down copies of other, more complex (and FAR better written) works.

Others are more original but make very little sense and include odd/weird things for the sake of throwing the reader off...when in actuality it makes LITTLE sense. Most of his works seem like he made up the rules as he went. Plot stuck? It's an alien! Cool phenomenon? Explained by odd metaphysics! It often starts with a cool idea, but instead of fleshing it out in an intelligent way, King will add a cop out (aliens) or add something that makes absolutely no sense and adds no coherency (look at the new Netflixmovie Tall Grass for an examole...which I sadly sat througb).

Stephen King is the McDonald's of horror. MANY people will gobble it up and love it, truly believing it is actually good food (writing) because it is cheap and easy to access. Those that have experienced the originals or something more complex will pass it up. Like McDonald's, he creates garbage disguised as something real. And our culture is worse off because of it.

But it will still make TONS of money because there are 8 billion people in the world. They can't all be thinkers.

• anarchy753
    anarchy753 Member Posts: 4,212

I think I get put off a lot of his movies by how prominent children are in them. Books are one thing but I cannot STAND children in movies.

It pt 1, Stand By Me, The Shining, I know it's not really something you can fix, but hours of child actors makes me want to hurl.

• Kilmeran
    edited October 2019

@DudeDelicious I'm 47, so I remember the old 1979 miniseries for the book. Didn't know a new version was coming out.

Speaking of getting to things straight away, ever try to read Under the Dome? I'd like to beat King with his own book after attempting that one. Get. To. The. Damned. Point.

I made it about 200 pages in and returned it to the library.

• Kilmeran

@Attackfrog A fairly accurate explanation.

Also, let's not forget that his fans fell for the biggest scam in publishing history: Rushing into stores to buy a book, one chapter at a time.

I had friends that worked at Waldenbooks back then. We privately laughed at those people.

• Attackfrog
    Attackfrog Member Posts: 1,134

I feel like I post a lot about my distaste for him and his "writing", but I really feel there is so much good horror/thriller work out there and he gets so much credit for it (and money). I wish people would just forget King and seek out those other writers.

And when you compare his to the originals, it just makes me gag how bad it is.

But then again...we live in a world where Twilight movies rake in billions...it's no wonder brilliant authors are ignored!

• Walker_of_the_fog_96
    Walker_of_the_fog_96 Member Posts: 1,238

PeNnYwIsE CoNfIrMeD OMG

• Hoodied
    Hoodied Member Posts: 13,019

That is how almost every other post is when they reference Stephen being followed by Devs

• PigNRun
    PigNRun Member Posts: 2,428

Little off-topic, but I 100% agree with you about child actors.

• TheGorgon
    TheGorgon Member Posts: 777

IT 2 was overly gruesome, violent, and really dark. IT 1 is scarier though, IT 2 feeds off people being disgusted.

• pemberley
    pemberley Member Posts: 1,510

... I don’t mind Stephen King, and I feel like I have a pretty good sense of what’s good and what’s not. I would never put King in the same league as Twilight.

I guess my one quibble with King is his tendency to throw slurs around for no reason and describe women in very sexualized terms.

• Mr_K
    Mr_K Member Posts: 9,184

Stranger Things takes a lot of inspiration from Stephen King. A horror game company follows a horror writer. I don't see the big deal here.

• Alice_pbg
    Alice_pbg Member Posts: 6,556

Did you read the one about cellphone zombies?

That one was weird... also the first thing I read from him

• Ark_the_Bonsai
    Ark_the_Bonsai Member Posts: 867

It's successful because a bunch of people paid money to watch it only to find out they didn't like it. Success is in sales, not in enjoyment. The first movie was great and hit a lot of people right in the nostalgia so they were willing to shell out for the second one. Combine that with all the positive press from the first movie and BAM you got yourself a big seller no matter how the movie is.

They legit could have played a different movie all together so long as they advertised it as the sequal and would have gotten close to the same results.