There should be an Obsession in EVERY match

Hear me out, really minor change proposition: There should ALWAYS be an obsession survivor, randomly chosen, in every single match

Pros: Mechanically more consistent, as a base mechanic it's more justifiable to explain to new players what an Obsession is

Minor Bloodpoint boost to survivors, who are still trailing miles and miles behind Barbecue&50kBP

And most importantly: There is NO assurance for higher rank killers that it's genuinely a brilliant idea to tunnel absolutely everyone right off the hook, because no Obsession = guaranteed 0 Decisive Strikes in the match

I just went through 4 matches in a row where noone had DS and every last killer made sure not only to camp by the hook within a 16 meter radius, but also to punch down every unhooked survivor and re-hook them immediatly, because there was guaranteed no DS in play. That kind of information should not be granted to the killer for free.

Comments

• ColonGlock
    ColonGlock Member Posts: 1,224
    edited October 2019

You assume they were even paying attention to the lack of an obsession.

What makes you think those killers would have played any different? Tunneling people out of the match is a common tactic, and that is why DS is such a important survivor perk to those who get angry about dying fast.

• HellCatJane
    HellCatJane Member Posts: 698
    edited October 2019

I mean. There's no real guarantee that they camped BECAUSE no obsession though. I feel like the odds of them doing that,, was just because they felt like it, versus a perk stopping them.

BT isn't an obsession perk, but buys survivors, that get unhooked, a chance to get away. All those killers could have been worried about the person that unhooked having BT, but clearly they weren't concerned and did it anyway. Even if DS were into play most likely those killers would have just left them slugged on the ground instead. That situation is why BT is so valuable to survivors, but survivors don't want to run it for some reason? The lack of terror radius is frustrating though.

But I don't see how having permanent obsession fixes that situation or would have stopped it.

EDIT: BT = Borrowed Time

• PGJSF
    PGJSF Member Posts: 369

+1

That makes sense.

• NoShinyPony
    NoShinyPony Member Posts: 4,570

You complain about tunneling. If you need a tool against tunneling, use DS. If you want the benefit, you have to use the perk slot. You can't have it for free.

• PrincessPoop
    PrincessPoop Member Posts: 919

I mean... just bring DS so you don’t get tunneled

• he11enes
    he11enes Member Posts: 3

Amazing how many of you simpletons regularly feel enlightened enough to respond to an OP without actually reading it properly

• ZeroDivide
    ZeroDivide Member Posts: 40

To be fair... A lot of killers will tunnel an obsession down as punishment for bringing dstrike as well.

But if the killer is camping, its time to push out gens. Camping killers should get 1k and have a boring time, which will discourage them from doing it again.

• Mr_K
    Mr_K Member Posts: 9,184

There are matches with no obsessions?

😲

I require proof.

• Cymer
    Cymer Member Posts: 946

I think this is an homage to the horror trope of the final girl.

In horror movies the killer often is obsessed with one girl and she usually lives to the end.

A fun movie that illustrates this nicely is "Behind the Mask the rise of Leslie Vernon".

• anarchy753
    anarchy753 Member Posts: 4,212

Yeah I'm getting very tired of obsession perks on both sides being "look at all the buffs the obsession gets! (oh also the killer gets a tiny buff that is either time consuming to build or doesn't function against the obsession)"

A pyscho killer powered by a literal god is fixated on you above anyone else, and 99/100 times that means they DON'T want you dead, or you're actively benefiting from it.

• BenZ0
    BenZ0 Member Posts: 4,125
    edited October 2019

Its always easy to point on Killers call them tunneler and camper but I am pretty sure this Killer had a reason to tunnel the guy from the hook or camp, as a single survivor you NEVER see the view of a Killer what he is seeing or doing.

For an example when I hook someone, I dont see anyone with bbq and then I see scratch marks next to the hook, so obviously I am gonna stick around and trying to find the other survivor that camps the hook. Obvously it takes some time until I find him but leaving without any new target from bbq would be only a lose of pressure and the hooked guy will instantly get unhooked. And after I found the guy sticking to the hook and killed him, the survivors called me in endgame chat a camper and i should go ######### my mother.

• xBEATDOWNSx
    xBEATDOWNSx Member Posts: 636
    edited October 2019

BenZo is 100% correct. More often than not I get called out for camping but if I hook you,and I see a survivor trying to hide/ scratch marks, or if my BBQ doesn't highlight anyone, that tells me someone is near and I should root them out. It's not tunneling nor camping, it's me doing my job as a killer.

Post edited by xBEATDOWNSx on
  • Mochan
    Mochan Member Posts: 2,886

It's actually not.

The point of the Obsession is to "save the best for last" -- which is exactly how it plays out in slasher flicks.

• Mochan
    Mochan Member Posts: 2,886

See? This is why BBQ needs a change or nerf.

It just does too much and gives too much information to the killer on top of a gallon of blood points.

Meanwhile WGLF is a wasted perk slot....

• BenZ0
    BenZ0 Member Posts: 4,125

@Mochan

Well I find BBQ as completly fine, you have soo many ways to counter this perk and you still have to hook someone to get this information for only 4sec. But I agree that WGLF should have like BBQ a extra effect that is good aswell.

• NuclearBurrito
    NuclearBurrito Member Posts: 6,807

Regarding DS and the Obsession mechanic.

Devs: You get to stab the Killer, but you become the Obsession

Players: I get to stab the Killer AND I get to become the Obsession.

• Ark_the_Bonsai
    Ark_the_Bonsai Member Posts: 867

Huh. I guess that's fair. I wasn't thinking of the movies, was more thinking of how an actual obsession would work (where someone hyper focuses on something).

Yeah, Cymer mentioned that. I just hadn't thought of it that way before. Thank you both, that certainly lessens my annoyance

• Jukantos
    Jukantos Member Posts: 114

Two of them actually mentioned us being idiots for not bringing DS and that they did know via the lack of an obsession.

It's now back in my inventory at all times and yea the consistent tunneling is still there - but at least there's no widely televised "HEY NO POTENTIAL PUNISHMENT FOR TUNNELING" Broadcast in the bottom left of their screen.

I hate relying on it. I dislike the existance of mandatory crutches. If a perk is THAT much of a "have it or lose the game", it should be changed. That applies to both DS and Ruin btw.

• Jukantos

I'm going to bump this as it is the most viewed Topic i've ever made on these forums, and i think the mechanic should still be expanded upon to be more consistent. It would also enable it to be added to Tooltips on loading screens.

• Maelstrom10
    Maelstrom10 Member Posts: 1,922

I'd like this to be added, that being said to play devil's advocate like a lot of others here, who says those players would of played any differently?

That being said i really would enjoy an obsession each game, also the obsession bp bonus being increased, and a slight negative/positive to being the obsession (something like, higher luck or base chance with chests with perhaps the negative or when being the last survivor have your aura revealed to the killer for 1-3s/or having your aura revealed at the start of the match as the cameras spinning to give the killer a general idea of where to start hunting always)

• Mr_K
    Mr_K Member Posts: 9,184

@Jukantos

1.2k is not a lot.

Necromancy is illegal in most countries

• InnCognito
    InnCognito Member Posts: 720

I cannot STOMACH obsession mechanics. I never run perks that have them. yet 90% of the time. I am the obsession in a match. It promotes tunneling and tbh the killer doesn't have a reason NOT to tunnel.

Since this IS the case. I believe that if the survivor does NOT have a perk that has the Entity obsession clause, than the survivor should NOT be one. Even IF the killer IS running perks that ARE obsession. It should be a high risk gamble for both sides.

• Jukantos

How does the existance of an obsession promote tunneling? There's no benefit for a killer to having an obsession unless they run obsession based perks - tunneling a single survivor is always stupid, because it can be easily punished by unbreakable, DS, adrenaline, dead hard etc etc (all the survivor meta perks are strong because they strongly counter tunneling and fast-kill strategies)

• Waffleyumboy
    Waffleyumboy Member Posts: 7,318

I think obsession needs more use. An easy fix would be to make it so the obsession can't be the first to escape.

• TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 12,871

I'll just never play around DS if this happens. Simple.

• TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 12,871

Because at that point, there's no reason to assume that slugging the Obsession will be more efficient than just testing for DS.

• Polychrome_Baku
    Polychrome_Baku Member Posts: 404
    edited December 2019

Honestly, being the obsession should be dangerous. Right now it isn't. Most obsession perks revolve around avoiding the obsession. Besides Remember Me which is a ######### perk and Rancor which is a trash endgame perk. Dying Light even buffs the obsession with no downside. I honestly don't run obsession perks because they're all pretty garbage.

• Waffleyumboy
    Waffleyumboy Member Posts: 7,318

I know right? The killer is obsessed with torturing me and letting me watch all my friends die why would he want me to live?

But seriously, I agree. Maybe you noticed my idea that the obsession can't be the first to escape (unless they're the only survivor left of course)? You might like it :)