The real frustration of Dead by Daylight are the generators ... should there be that frustration?

I love this game, player since June 2016.

There have been many unbalances in this game and that the devs are dealing little by little ... but the issue I try to focus on is the generators.

If the real frustration of the killers really are the generators, should that frustration always exist?

I believe that a game should not be frustrated to play it, should have fun, on the contrary, in the interview, there was a reply a bit .. absurd of X person (if you have seen X video, you will know what I am talking about).

I think that although this X person does not have the answer about the generators, the designers of the game should consider replacing the mechanics of the generators and making the game FUN .. not with frustration.

Is frustration part of the game? No, that is not like that.

Comments

• humanbeing1704
    humanbeing1704 Member Posts: 8,971

I hope they do change the generator mechanics though holding a button for a lil while with some skillchecks thrown in is very exicting gameplay

• Revansith
    Revansith Member Posts: 367

I think the annoying part for new players is the skill check is hard enough to master without dealing with Hex ruin as well.

• Th3Nightmare
    Th3Nightmare Member Posts: 1,266

Yes it is a part, but the most veteran people suffer because there is a gen rush.

• PickCollins
    PickCollins Member Posts: 495

Honestly I wish they could just let us toggle the struggle phase.

• Blackowt_9120
    Blackowt_9120 Member Posts: 300

I think they could do more with generators. Maybe each generator has several mini games attached to it, like untangling wires, connecting relays, greasing pistons etc. I really think that when a killer kicks a gen he should kick a piece off and it should have to be reinstalled.

• redleif
    redleif Member Posts: 9

This seems like an excellent idea. If a piece were to fall off close to the gen it would still be simple to correct yet balanced enough to prevent gen-tapping as an easy countermeasure to kicking since it would take more time and be impossible in a chase

• DeathTouch
    DeathTouch Member Posts: 5
    edited October 2019

Welp, my ideas for improving the game would simply make it too different and would make it a new game entirely, so I don't really know what's the point in sharing it. But anyways:

• I'd actually buff up Killers and Survivor's add ons and perks quite a bit. The ones that seemed a bit oppressive, I'd introduce a penalty for usage (I know some already have, but I don't think most have a fair trade). You could probably build around these penalties, but that's where balancing would come into play and I wouldn't know the first thing to go about it with no detailed in-game data.
    • I'd give (even) more points to Survivors in the Altruism an Co-Op categories over anything else, encouraging them to play together and help each other. I think as it is, this game is too focused on objectives, gen rushing and escaping. If people actually got more points for doing OTHER stuff, maybe they'd actually go out of their way to do those things.
    • As for different mechanics, since I do believe the game should be easier for the killer for the most part, I'd love for some sort of mechanic that would consider the last survivor standing something akin to the "Final Girl", or "The Protagonist" in horror movies. Someone that gets either: a chance to fight back with whatever or a massive status boost after all three people were killed off. Maybe this could trigger not only based on three people getting killed, but also on co-op and altruistic actions taken, or even survival actions (purposefully avoiding objective actions here, as to avoid gen rushing). How that would work? How to balance it? I have no idea. I just like this trope and the idea of making the killer work really hard for that final kill, almost like a 1v1, like in the movies. Zillions of points to either side for winning this showdown, though. Would also encourage people to actually stop and spectate matches.

Like I said, it'd be actually easier to make a new game. lol

• luka2211
    luka2211 Member Posts: 1,433

i never get frustrated about gens,its been so much time its been like this so i kinda dont even care.The fact that even the veteran players,i mean the ones that have been playing for a while cant stop genrush cause killers are so reduced in their powers is kinda bad.I just feel like increasing gen speed is the way to go,no matter how simple of a fix would it be.JUST AN OPINION

• CyberianFaux
    CyberianFaux Member Posts: 232

Imo, the easiest fix to this problem is to add a second objective of something like finding gas canisters scattered around the map and carrying them to a gen before you can repair them while moving slightly slower than normal (10% slower while holding gas). Once gas is in, you repair the gen the same as normal. If a gen is kicked and reaches 0% repaired, the generator starts to leak gas (short timer to tap the gen to stop) which, upon reaching 0 gas after a set time requires another canister to be found (they respawn after X seconds from being put in a generator and the generator reaching 0 gas).

This makes there be a risk to just putting gas in a generator and making a little progress before leaving it of slowing the game down, while rescuing someone for instance.