Am I the only one who thinks this battle pass is a slap in the face?

You have to pay an entry fee and the chapters really add up. I bought all the DLC on PS4 and bought it all again on PC later. That is quite a bit of money. I have also bought some cosmetics. New chapters and expensive cosmetics are still incoming. Fine.

But then you hit me with a battle pass? Absolutely insulting. This is a free to play mechanic in a very expensive game. So, what appears to be a significant investment in this game is certainly not enough.

Comments

• Tucking_Friggered
    Tucking_Friggered Member Posts: 636

Oh they slapped you in the face alright. The question is with what?

• Slaughterhouse3
    Slaughterhouse3 Member Posts: 901

We can still do the BP missions for free....calm down.

• ProfessorDunwich
    ProfessorDunwich Member Posts: 1,514

Well, well. I suppose my question has been answered. Free to play mechanics in a paid game are okay. Carry on.

• rch614
    rch614 Member Posts: 551

There isn't really a difference between the battle pass and buying the cosmetics outright. They said any cosmetics you get from the Rift will become available in the store later on. Plus, the Auric cells you pay to unlock the premium track will be returned to you eventually anyway.

It isn't a bad system and if you don't like it, don't buy it. You're spending $10 on the pass and then getting those Auric cells back for whatever else you want.

• StupidPallets
    StupidPallets Member Posts: 395

ProfessorDunwhich, you are right. Something must be done about this. You must do something about this. ♪♫♪ Nightmare On Elm Street music plays ♪♫♪

• rch614
    rch614 Member Posts: 551

I see the "danger" but in the end it is all on the customer on what they want to buy. Their current iteration of the battle pass is fair and one heck of a deal and as of right now they aren't giving us a reason to distrust them like so many other companies that run battlepasses do.

If they prove us otherwise, people will speak up. But until then I trust them.

• Xboned
    Xboned Member Posts: 461

I'm already quite annoyed with all the unplayable killers I bought because I haven't had time to level them all, lol. The last thing this game needs is another grind, imhfo.

But people seem jazzed about it, even if I have no idea why, so more power to them.

• UlvenDagoth
    UlvenDagoth Member Posts: 3,535

They give you more BP in the Rift even on the free side. So this will help your grind!

• yobuddd
    yobuddd Member Posts: 2,259

Just to be clear, and I’m genuinely curious, is it possible to “beat the system”?

• 1,000 auric cells for premium pass.
    • earn 1,000 cells during play period.
    • spend those same cells again to go premium for the next period.
    • rinse and repeat.

Do we think the “free” version will ever reward Auric cells so that it’s possible to save up and go “premium” without actually paying?

If you don’t spend your newly earned cells while playing premium, do you still earn your premium cosmetics and such?

(For the record, I’ve never done battle passes of any type before, so this is a very new mechanic for me as you can likely tell.)

• FreakPrince
    FreakPrince Member Posts: 526

“I have also bought some cosmetics”, so what’s the difference between that and paying a fee that’s gonna return to you once you complete the challenges?

Geez, y’all so dramatic

• Horus
    Horus Member Posts: 850

Free track is terrible

• ProfessorDunwich
    edited October 2019

Yes, you can. For most battle passes it will probably take you several hours a day to achieve this though. A much more significant investment than most players will make. It is like a buffet. They are betting most will not eat more than they pay.

• Mikeadatrix
    Mikeadatrix Member Posts: 890

BHVR is good on their word. I don't intend to sound like a corporate shill. Horse Armor was my time too so I'm well aware of how awful predatory DLCs can be but the the Rift seems fair to me and I'll roll with it until proven otherwise.

• Mikeadatrix
    Mikeadatrix Member Posts: 890

Yeah but you're given 70 days to eat at this buffet and the food stays fresh for the entire duration. Sure, tryhard players will blow through it in a day or two but casual to average players shouldn't be facing a lot of work if they play for a few hours on the weekend.

• Endstille
    Endstille Member Posts: 2,246

Do you remember shards? There were outfits completely free as a reward for playing the game but somehow i dont know less and less...

Tell me what is cheaper than free skins? Tell me when you spend 10$ on AC how much money did you save? Exactly you spent 10$ and saved nothing. AC is worth 0.

The skins don't look that great tbh.

@ProfessorDunwich

I feel sorry for you. You make a valid complaint and people respond like you insulted them personally and instead of making valid points they make snappy comments.

• Johnble
    Johnble Member Posts: 175

Didn't even think of that.

To help prove your point, Red Dead Online has a "battle pass" now. Now DBD is getting one. It's pretty bizarre how comfortable people are with this but at the same time people constantly complain about loot boxes. As long as it stays optional, I don't see the problem but we all know they'll do their best to make it feel like the battle pass has to be purchased by putting the best cosmetics behind it like every other game, I'm sure. Now, if I can unlock killers or survivors I don't have with it, that would be cool.

• Ihatelife
    Ihatelife Member Posts: 5,069

It's not that bad. 1000 auric cells is not that a lot...

• ProfessorDunwich

Thanks. The insults are not a big deal.

What really bothers me is seeing my favorite hobby increasingly infested with monetization at every turn while gamers cheer it on.

• MiniPixels
    MiniPixels Member Posts: 536

Originally I would have somewhat agreed with you, it is somewhat a slap in the face on top of all of the DLC, and cosmetics already in game, but what you have to understand is that if you complete the pass you earn 100% of your money back, IN ADDITION to the cosmetics you get, and even if you don't finish it all the way you are at least getting a decent amount of your money back.

• VoodooMan7995
    VoodooMan7995 Member Posts: 137

See at least they noticed this, and provide cosmetics for DLC characters. It would be nice if they provide you with around 5000 Bloodpoints instead of giving you cosmetocs for characters you don't own though. I'm personally excited about a BP in the Fog. It might add twisted cosmetics, or new abilities. Heck, it could change the very way the game works entirely but thats OK! I'd be super glad with Twists and turns to make surviving the fog harder...

• SenatorAcadia
    SenatorAcadia Member Posts: 72

They could make the Battle Pass, the game, and all the cosmetics free if they charged the people on this forum a buck to post a complaint.

If the company makes money they can keep working on the game.

Maybe someday they could even market it!

Sheesh

• xCarrie
    xCarrie Member Posts: 982

It’s 1000 auric cells which is 10$. If you complete the battle pass you end up getting the auric cells back fully which you can use for the next one. Really it’s just a one time 10$ pass unless you spend it on something else which seems really fair. I was skeptical at first but now understanding how it works plus all the cosmetics you can get is a good deal.

• Mookywolf
    Mookywolf Member Posts: 907

not to mention, when you actually buy the 10$ auric cell pass, you get 1,100 cells, so theres even a little wiggle room.

• csandman1977
    csandman1977 Member Posts: 2,358

I see nothing wrong with a company trying to make some extra money. Especially with the way this battle pass system is being set up. It is completely optional rewards you for playing whether or not you buy in. You have the option of waiting until you complete it before buying it. And everything in it will be available after 6 months anyway.

• Huntress4Life
    Huntress4Life Member Posts: 48

Tbh the battle pass is a curse and a blessing for everyone since there's people who want the cosmetics and stuff but don't have enough for all of it, then the people who have all the cosmetics and think it's worthless

• Guiltron
    Guiltron Member Posts: 149

Worst case scenario we would've gotten loot boxes. For me the battle pass is simply well... a pass for cosmetics and rewards alike. Also you're not forced to buy it, since you can do the free track too.

• Grimbergoth
    Grimbergoth Member Posts: 293

First , if you add up all the killer/survivor dlc's with the cost of the base game and without discounts , you are still less then most games and one expansion . it doesn't even total $110 . People want to cry the dlc is 113.82 but they forget that 24 or 25 of that is purely cosmetic and has 0 gameplay value .

Secondly , this game does not require a subscription , thus it has to generate revenue from someplace or it goes under . So for the people who are buying cosmetics , dlc's , and rift passes , they are supporting the game that it seems like most would rather get everything for free and the game die from it .

You all want balance , you want updates , you want support , you want dedicated servers . But when it comes to the cost of these things , you Want to Cry .

Lastly , if you dont want to spend any more to support the game you think is so great as long as they constantly give you free stuff , then dont support it . No one is forcing anything on you . But I would like to thank those who have supported it for those too selfish to see that the game needs money to continue and just because they have a item for sale it doesn't mean it sells .

So thank you to the supporters ...

• Raven014
    Raven014 Member Posts: 4,188

I have to point out if you buy it with auric cells you can earn them back, making the cost effectively zero if you actually complete the content.

• Grimbergoth
    Grimbergoth Member Posts: 293

people only look at the here and now , not the past or future of their arguments . All day I have seen post after post complaining about this one $10 charge , and the fact that IF you paid full price for every dlc that has a perk attached to it as well as the base game they may have spent $110 already (but what people love to leave out is over how long of a period of time is this) . So everyone is up in arms of a non discounted price of less then $110 for what 3 years of content and the addition of a $10 charge that no one is forced to buy that they can actually earn the cells back . Sounding more and more petty and selfish the more I think about it ….

• PrincessPoop
    PrincessPoop Member Posts: 919

Honestly I really do not understand the hatred for the battlepass... you can pretend like it doesn’t exist and you will not be effected at all. Plus it’s only $10 which is what the price for a single cosmetic is... you will actually be getting more cosmetics for a cheaper price with the battlepass system than you can get with the skins that release to the store.

• Avocet
    Avocet Member Posts: 284
    edited October 2019

People are missing the opportunity cost of completing the Rift / battle pass. They see the Premium costs only $10 (1000 auric cells) and get excited. But BHVR themselves have said the rewards from Free and Premium tracks are worth over 20 000 auric cells, i.e. $200.

The battle pass is supposed to be a monetization system, right? How does it make sense for BHVR to charge us only $10 (which you can earn back) and yet provide as $200 of value? The missing commodity here is time. To BHVR our time to complete the battle pass is worth $190 per person, more if we consider they're supposed to make a profit off it.

Yet people put absolutely no value on their time when they say the battle pass is free or only $10. They're only thinking about the money leaving their account.

• BreadPiece
    BreadPiece Member Posts: 3

It's not about being mad because the game is getting more money, it's about all the money we already have to pay with things in general in-game like dlc's, cosmetics, etc if we want them, which ends up being frustating and unfair for the player base and I say that in general, and not speaking on my opinion about it.

• UlvenDagoth
    UlvenDagoth Member Posts: 3,535

If you don't like it, then don't do it! Don't know what to tell you friend!

• BreadPiece
    BreadPiece Member Posts: 3

Humm I never said i didn't like it. I just said people's opinion in general about the price for the rift/battle pass, I never mentioned I didn't like, all I was saying was that nobody is mad because the game is making money and disagreeing with you, and the people are "mad" or can't really afford all these new things the game is bringing for us. What I mean is, It's not a complaint, it's an opinion.

• Kerbert
    Kerbert Member Posts: 415

Dbd should be free to play at this point.

• Mr_Goodman
    Mr_Goodman Member Posts: 61

I hate the battlepass, but I'm not gonna make a post just to say I dislike it. I will just deal with the free one, don't really care too much for the cosmetics.

• SkeletalElite
    SkeletalElite Member Posts: 2,687

Not only is it purely cosmetic but completeing the pass rewards you with auric cells equal to the buy in so as long as youre actually playing the game regularly you only have to pay once

• Captain
    Captain Member Posts: 39

Yo they give us free updates and free maps. Stop crying

• DevourOfSalt
    DevourOfSalt Member Posts: 254

@ProfessorDunwich

The amount of ass kissing comments here just ignore them lol

but yh battle pass should never be in game if this was free to play absolutely fine but since its not its unacceptable. And just plan greedy oh dont buy alot will say but its not the point battle passes should not be in a paid game period doesn't matter if i buy it or not

• 1saltypug
    1saltypug Member Posts: 117

Me like many have all the dlcs up till now over the 3 years. Unless the game is constantly bringing in new players they aren't making any money at all after the purchases of the dlc. (which has been heavily discounted multiple times already). The battle pass is completely optional I mean would it make everyone happier if we never got anything but dlc killers to buy where you feel like you have to for the good perks?

This is a step in the right direction where I dont feel like I "have" to buy something to feel competitive with everyone else. I mean if you can't buy the 10$ battle pass then you obviously don't spend the 10$ per cosmetic outfit so it shouldn't really matter either way.

• Kilmeran
    Kilmeran Member Posts: 3,142
    edited October 2019

@DevourOfSalt @ProfessorDunwich I would expect them to continue to find new ways to monetize DbD now that they are firmly in financial bed with Netease:

It is what it is. More and more game developers are getting into bed with Chinese investment, either through Tencent buying a portion of them out, or Netease doing so. And it keeps resulting in the same end game: microtransactions and monetization to double, triple, or quadruple dip into your wallet.

You either accept it, or try to find a game developer that isn't in bed with them . . . yet.