Am I the only one who thinks this battle pass is a slap in the face?

13»

Comments

• SinfulHarlot
    SinfulHarlot Member Posts: 154

@Rydog This game constantly updates. Don't act like you bought this at launch. Humble Bundle,PSN, Steam Sales, this game is sold for dirt cheap constantly. You don't need the DLC for the new maps you could have all the perks and several cosmetics without paying for a damn thing. It's like you assume that since you bought this game and some dlc that you deserve their services indefinitely. That's not how gaming as a service works.

• EldritchElise87
    EldritchElise87 Member Posts: 626

The game still exists as it did before, you can still use the archives and get the rewards for free, but I play DBD a lot, its my "Main game" and ive played over two thousand hours, for what i spend on DLC, auric cells, battlepass, hell I could be paying a hundred dollars a month and id still be getting a good deal hours of entertainment/money wise.

The game has ben getting consistent updates and free content for 3 years, i dont begrudge them monetizing the game, considering they have a studio and team just for managing it.

Back in the day, you bought a game, you got a few patches and then you were done. Not many devs get the live service model right, but dbd imo is one of the least agregious by far.

• DocSparks
    DocSparks Member Posts: 14

If you complete it it's a one time purchase with the auric cells you earn. So really it's a one time purchase for tons of content.

• Tucking_Friggered
    Tucking_Friggered Member Posts: 636
    edited October 2019

There are no mental gymnastics needed. You lot are whinging into the aether. Behav10r doesn't care, they are going to do like every other company does and make their money. Preaching to those okay with it as if we owe you some type of loyalty to your lost cause is laughable.

There is nothing predatory about it. You received what you paid for. Anything additional is not owed to you and doesn't become so just because you believe it true or state it as such.

I guarantee most of the whingers are demanding dedicated servers too. Apathetic to the realities of the costs associated with them. Too late now. Deal with it.

• Raven014
    Raven014 Member Posts: 4,188

That's why I said effectively. You don't get it back as cash, that'd be dumb on behavior's part since they're a business.

• Nikkiwhat
    Nikkiwhat Member Posts: 1,378

I freely admit I was not really excited when BHVR announced that they were gonna include a Battle Pass. The game already has cosmetic dlc sold and new content with Survivors/Killers to keep a cash flow going. Long story short on initial feelings, too many companies try to nickle & dime their paying playerbase. The crap with lootboxes, gambling and content egregiously walled off behind extra fees and underhanded FOMO tactics have been polluting the gaming industry for two whole console generations. It's gotten outta hand in my opinion.

That said however, upon seeing footage of PTB, with the content and layout shown...I am not worried about the Rift/Battle Pass. Sure it has the bells & whistles for fomo and the idea to keep playing to get the most out of the premium content, while the free Rift route is sparse...both are indeed cosmetic without being hugely offending. I get the notion of "never back down, never let off companies" when it comes to lootboxes, dlc, battlepasses & microtransactions...but if this is indeed how BHVR is planning to design the Rift...I don't see the huge fuss. You're not getting duplicates of stuff, it's all laid out so nothing is a gamble/unseen underhanded tactics, there's nothing really walled off, especially if the skins are to be sold down the road and nothing is pay to win.

The ONLY qualm I may havr, is how frequent Battlepasses will be made/put oit and if BHVR ever intends to change what they fill them with. Me? I'm gonna give BHVR the benefit of doubt and give this one a try. This isn't Take Two, EA, Activision, Ubisoft or Konami BS...which are the prime examples of a company going too far.

• Mochan
    Mochan Member Posts: 2,886

In other words we are being paid to play the game.

Sounds fine to me. I'm playing the game because I want to.

• Attackfrog
    Attackfrog Member Posts: 1,134

It is not a slap in the face but a shady marketing ploy.

Many will fall for it, as they do with this tactic in most games, and which makes it a successful business decision. Our culture preys upon ignorance and gullibility and this is a prime example of a company profiting from it.

The more people can learn.about these awful practices, the better. Some day, they will be outlawed, but until then, it is up to the consumer to educate ourselves about the predatory nature of such systems.

• FrenziedRoach
    FrenziedRoach Member Posts: 2,600

I've changed my mind somewhat

If the price is 5 or 7 bucks, and their dedicated servers are good, I can see this being justifiable.

But if their dedicated servers are crap, they can suck it

• Avocet
    Avocet Member Posts: 284

Good. You could keep track of the hours it took you to complete the Rift and then see whether you got paid a fair hourly rate.

I haven't heard of anybody else making an estimate how long one would need to play to complete it so I'll use @SpaceCoconut 's and you can use your own data later.

He said one would need 14 hours of matches. So you're getting paid $190 for 14 hours which is close to $14 per hour. But it could take longer, who knows. The average pay in USA last month was $28 per hour. The federal minimum wage is $7.25. I guess it's not such a bad deal after all but I'd rather not turn gaming into a job, no matter the pay.