Am I the only one who thinks this battle pass is a slap in the face?

Options

Comments

• Spork
    Spork Member Posts: 122
    edited October 2019
    Options

It's not just you, I feel the same way. They try their best to point out how dedicated their players are, say they want to reward us for spending time in the game, but when it comes to a quests mechanic they throw in a Battlepass, putting all the valuable/interesting things behind a paywall. Yes, it's 10$, I have spent a lot of money on the game already though, and asking for more is the slap in the face. I get you can make the Auric cells back but it's not the point. A Battlepass didn't need to find its way to Dead by daylight, and these new cosmetics could have been integrated normally with the store we already have. If we needed to pay? Fine, I'd rather the individual items be put in the store rather all of them behind 1000 Auric Cells. YES, It's worth it, that's the POINT. They WANT you to buy it, that's why they locked it all up behind the currency. I don't understand why the people who support this are getting so worked up with backlash about it, micro transactions have always been something people disliked, and we don't need to be enabling it. I was looking forward to doing quests for cosmetics that I actually wanted, not paying for them.

• Grimbergoth
    Grimbergoth Member Posts: 293
    Options

Here is a simple answer for you , not everything sells . Why do companies make newer models , they constantly improve things to sell more to consumers and what happens to the older models they get discounted and eventually stop selling . This is where the system comes into play , throw in say a nurse set on the premium that players will like and fill the gaps in the free and premium with things that are not doing so well or just not selling . Then your market value goes up for free and they are not loosing any profits .

For those who still dont follow or haven't much of a clue about marketing . If you see a add for a game system in a add for $500 , it comes with $400 worth of used games and the used system is worth 250 . why are they loosing money , because if they sell the system without the games and the games are older titles or not very popular ones they may never sell them , but as a package it looks like a great deal to the buyer .

• Spork
    Options

Yes... That's literally the point. Baiting players into buying more things by putting all the desirable items behind the pay wall is a HUGE slap in the face. It's a tacky tactic used by FORTNITE, APEX LEGENDS. DO THESE FREE TO PLAY GAMES AT ALL RELATE WITH DEAD BY DAYLIGHT? No. I hope you understand where those of us who dislike this battlepass are coming from. I don't care that it's 10$, or that you can earn the Auric cells back, it's just the fact that they put ALL of the good stuff behind a pay wall.

• Swiftblade131
    Swiftblade131 Member Posts: 2,050
    edited October 2019
    Options

Battle Passes

I like them about as much as I like monthly subscriptions to play online

• Kabu
    Kabu Member Posts: 926
    Options

Very very well said. This is the most fair battle pass mechanic I've seen and you can take your time completing it.

• BunnyTheHutt
    BunnyTheHutt Member Posts: 1,773
    Options

This, Plus peantis has already said that all the lore and challenges will always be free for everyone, so you don't even loose out on that. I was upset at the battle pass as well, but since it's purely cosmetics, most which will be available anyways, there is really no need too be mad about it. If you don't want it, then fine, just don't buy it and enjoy the fun challenges.

• HellCatJane
    HellCatJane Member Posts: 698
    edited October 2019
    Options

Editing this due to no longer have the same views.

I now think it's a slap in the face.

Post edited by HellCatJane on
  • Shirokuro
    Shirokuro Member Posts: 182
    Options

I was originally pretty sceptical about the idea of 'battle pass' but after getting on the PTB and seeing how much cool cosmetics it has and how you can get the auric cells you spent back, I really like how it's implemented.

• CallMeBacon
    CallMeBacon Member Posts: 54
    edited October 2019
    Options

To answer your question, it's unlikely that you are the only person who feels "slapped" by the Rift. However I would feel confident saying you are within a small group of overall Dead By Daylight players.

I for one, find the Rift (and Archives) a nice and simple addition to the game for veteran players that have everything unlocked and can now look forward to putting their time and effort towards something more than just endlessly grinding out add-ons and offerings.

As for the terrible monetization scheme you fear will over take the paid game market because of Dead By Daylight's design choice, I'd like to say I'd feel much better seeing this sorta system be used in other games than any other system, or even no system at all. It's quite nice that you can pay for the first ever battle pass and then never have to pay again as long as you correctly manage your Auric cells gained from the completion of every rift every mid chapter patch. The way the Devs handled this is fair and rewarding for the player base. You get more back then you pay for.

Also, just to be a bore and repeat everyone else, the premium track rift is completely optional. You are not forced to pay it in any way.

• Ramxenoc445
    Ramxenoc445 Member Posts: 1,358
    Options

Not at all a problem. I'm just like you went from having all dlc till stranger things on ps4 went to pc and bought them all again alone with all the kate cosmetics and one for huntress. Still a few I need to get again but battlepass is fine. Its not something you need and if you buy it and complete it you basically get a refund and can buy it again free. So it isn't at all and issue.

• Spork
    Options

It's not just you, I feel the same way. They try their best to point out how dedicated their players are, say they want to reward us for spending time in the game, but when it comes to a quests mechanic they throw in a Battlepass, putting all the valuable/interesting things behind a paywall. Yes, it's 10$, I have spent a lot of money on the game already though, and asking for more is the slap in the face. I get you can make the Auric cells back but it's not the point. A Battlepass didn't need to find its way to Dead by daylight, and these new cosmetics could have been integrated normally with the store we already have. If we needed to pay? Fine, I'd rather the individual items be put in the store rather all of them behind 1000 Auric Cells. YES, It's worth it, that's the POINT. They WANT you to buy it, that's why they locked it all up behind the currency. I don't understand why the people who support this are getting so worked up with backlash about it, micro transactions have always been something people disliked, and we don't need to be enabling it. I was looking forward to doing quests for cosmetics that I actually wanted, not paying for them.

• Spork
    Options

It's not just you, I feel the same way. They try their best to point out how dedicated their players are, say they want to reward us for spending time in the game, but when it comes to a quests mechanic they throw in a Battlepass, putting all the valuable/interesting things behind a paywall. Yes, it's 10$, I have spent a lot of money on the game already though, and asking for more is the slap in the face. I get you can make the Auric cells back but it's not the point. A Battlepass didn't need to find its way to Dead by daylight, and these new cosmetics could have been integrated normally with the store we already have. If we needed to pay? Fine, I'd rather the individual items be put in the store rather all of them behind 1000 Auric Cells. YES, It's worth it, that's the POINT. They WANT you to buy it, that's why they locked it all up behind the currency. I don't understand why the people who support are getting so worked up with backlash about it, micro transactions have always been something people disliked, and we don't need to be enabling it. I was looking forward to doing quests for cosmetics that I actually wanted, not paying for them.

• CallMeBacon
    CallMeBacon Member Posts: 54
    Options

I just wanted to say, that as far as I know, it was never ever said that the Archive's challenges would reward cosmetic items besides Charms. (It does reward charms by the way)

• Dj_crayon
    Dj_crayon Member Posts: 1
    Options

Battle pass is the worsest thing in dvd I've ever heard. Look its paid game and there are many dlc. So what u wiil get skin to character u dont have? Its hortible idea. But BHVR is greedy company and I bet that in near future battle pass will appear.

• Wrathofbabushka
    Wrathofbabushka Member Posts: 3
    Options

Not only is dbd incredibly inexpensive (the chapters aren't really that much, and you aren't forced at any point to buy All of it) it's not forcing you to buy aa battle pass either. I don't see how this is something people have wanted for so long and now we get it and everyone complains. It's crazy. Yes the chapters add up, but I bought them all because I wanted to and I definitely got my moneys worth. Why are you complaining about your own choices to buy things?

• Endstille
    Endstille Member Posts: 2,246
    edited October 2019
    Options

Honestly this thread is nothing but shocking to say the least.

The amount of people that justify everything is quite bizarre. I hope thanks to people who excuse everything, no matter how shady it actually is, that BHVR will continue to explore free2play-revenue in this paid game.

A couple of suggestions for you:

Please let us have premium accounts, It would be totally neat to upgrade your account for lets say another 1000 AC so we can have permanent bloodhunt and earn double bp, every game for a month. If there is already a bloodhunt, we could make it x4, imagine the revenue generated. This is also expandable you can offer large amounts of AC up to 10000 AC and slap some artificial saving on it. Like only use 10000 instead of 12000 AC for a year of premium!

There seems to be a widespread misconception about what it means to save money. Money saved isn't spend so when people spend money they do not save it. It is funny to see how it affects people and they talk about skins being worth AC when AC has no value to begin with and as any ingame currency available for purchase with real money only exists to make people forget that they actually do spend money.

Also please get rid of the cosmetic store: It is simply outdated. Nobody wants their customers just to buy what they want, you have to sell them the chance that they might be able to get the skin they want. Please include lootboxes, you already have some artificially made up grades of rarity on the skins so these should be fairly easy to implement.

I know lots of people do not like lootboxes that is why you have to call them something else. Maybe you even need to show the item the people get with the next lootbox beforehand so you do not get accused of that system being gambling.

Make bloodpoint available to purchase via microtransactions too! You know at least it doesn't affect gameplay in any kind or way. Imagine the amount of money generated by simply abusing people with mental disorders. You and a couple of people know that that it is not about the occasional buyer but about the whales who spend their money on it to complete everybody p3 especially on release day of dlc, glorious revenue indeed.

All is very optional and nice, not affecting gameplay. So please BHVR go ahead and explore those payment models as lots of people will defend you till the very end. I mean you already have people that are completely deluded that they get their money back with the rift pass.

You are a company after all and need to make money 🤦‍♀️

But as somebody who actually doesn't like various triple AAA publishers doing the same shady stuff in their games where they ask 60 instead of 20 to have the base game, i simply will not continue to support this. I don't care if it is lack of knowledge and understanding how anti consumer those free2play payment models are but to some people there is no higher value than moral integrity.

• premiumRICE
    premiumRICE Member Posts: 798
    Options

Not even taking into account that there might be free tiers of bp, its just cosmetics, do you consider the 80’s dlc unfair? Cause its the same thing, you want it you buy it, otherwise its the same, no gameplay changes involved.

• Larisa
    Larisa Member Posts: 176
    Options

In every game with battle pass people are complaining

Cmon. You don't have to buy it, no one forces you to buy it..

• Atrushan88
    Atrushan88 Member Posts: 2,084
    edited October 2019
    Options

I hate battlepasses. Not because they're a "bad deal" but because they always goad you in with this "Oh you get all this stuff IF you finish it before the season's up". Meaning 1. you're paying to grind, and 2. you don't get everything unless you finish within a certain time frame. It's a scummy tactic because most people will not finish the battle pass before they start a new one.

Oh and even worse they like to pretend "Oh you still get stuff for free if you don't buy it". But the "stuff you get for free" is usually two or three things you would never use, or stuff that is just a recolor of basic clothes you start with.

If you're gonna make a battle pass, don't do it in a scummy way. Make it a 100% paid option and don't set a time limit. The "free option" is just to show you the disparity between all the stuff you could get if you were doing the paid option, so that you're guilted into buying it.

• kcwolf1975
    kcwolf1975 Member Posts: 651
    Options

I think it is a great deal. Companies need to make money to keep the game alive and they have found a way to do that without forcing anyone to buy anything if they don't want to. You know what happens if you don't buy the battle pass, dlc, or cosmetics??? Nothing! It is still the exact same game that you have been playing and you are not at any disadvantage for not buying the battle pass.

• blue4zion
    blue4zion Member Posts: 2,773
    Options

I dunno why I expected it, but I'm disappointed in the lack of auric cells in the free pass.

• kcwolf1975
    Options

Sounds like you pay $10 and if you do everything you get 1000 auric cells ($10) back. That's a pretty good deal if you can pay once and keep renewing the battle pass for free.

• Shirokuro
    Shirokuro Member Posts: 182
    Options

A lot of people here don't realize that you can just play normally, completing quests and only pay when you reach the tier level that has stuff you want.

• Carpemortum
    Carpemortum Member Posts: 4,506
    Options

You dont ever get your money back. Just enough to get the next one and be reeled into playing even longer.

• Carpemortum
    Carpemortum Member Posts: 4,506
    Options

A battle pass is just a system people figured out wont be as vilified as loot boxes. Thanks to the popularity of fortnite, it worked.

• Thasard
    Thasard Member Posts: 268
    Options

If you play through every month, it's a one time pay. By playing through, you will get the monetary means to buy the next month's.

I'm actually really excited about it, because I don't pay for cosmetics, so this is one way for me to get some, while having some challenges to motivate me to play, and hopefully that is encouraging other players to play thus hopefully reducing wait times.

I'm a completist, so I'm looking forward to the challenges, even if it means they make me play more killer.

• Endstille
    Options

Since they are not greedy at all, they didn't make it optional to buy tiers in the rift pass. Oh wait they did, 6900 AC. Very cool to hope for more money from people that actually do have a life.

• IWannaPlayAGame
    IWannaPlayAGame Member Posts: 8
    Options

Ok, the Rift 1) pays you back the money you spent on it, 2) gives you stuff for free (including the currency to get the halloween cosmetics just for playing), 3) is for purely cosmetic stuff, 4) Everything you can get there you'll eventually be able to get later for direct purchase if you "missed out." There's legit no reason to not like this change unless you're just opposed to battle passes cause "Fortnite bad" because it not only brings in more content (cosmetic or lore wise with the Archives) but also just a breath of fresh air for ppl who are burnt out. I'm not trying to argue with you, just maybe wait until it's out and give it a try before we all just jump on the hate bandwagon.

• kcwolf1975
    Options

It's pointless to argue with these people. I don't understand how anyone can complain about something that adds content and is totally optional. It doesn't even affect gameplay if you don't buy it.

• Endstille
    Options

1) it doesn't you pay and get ac, ac is worthless outside of this game

3) for now

4) wrong, charms so far will be exclusive

Before you try to argue make sure that you don't say stuff that is wrong like that it gives you your money back and you shouldn't compare dbd a game that actually has an entry fee combined with several dlc to a complete free 2 play game.

• LittleLiam
    LittleLiam Member Posts: 34
    Options

Then just don't buy it until you're sure. Play the game, complete the free track, throw the auric cells in, you'll get them all back and all rewards from the premium track.

Sure some people will order the buffet and not eat their share but if you make your plate first while nibbling off the bar the whole time, you can look at your plate, decide you didnt get enough food for it to be worth the price and set it down and walk away without paying and you save your money while still getting a few bites.

• IWannaPlayAGame
    IWannaPlayAGame Member Posts: 8
    Options

lol legit said I wasn't trying to argue chill dude you seem p hostile about a video game. Also about your "wRoNg, ChArMs excluthive" jab, so?? lol they're just stupid cosmetic charms?? why care about them? And yeah ac is worthless outside the game, but did you buy DLC for this game or skins for characters? like why complain about this or that, I don't get it, but you do you mate

• twistedmonkey
    twistedmonkey Member Posts: 4,291
    edited October 2019
    Options

The point is you pay once and can use the auric cells for the future ones.

They said most if not all consmetics will be available in the store 6 months after the rift which may change to a lower time.

If you don't like it don't buy it. You aren't missing out on anything that changes the game play it's purely optional fluff items. The only only thing that changes gameplay is the DLC and quite frankly I'd rather they added this form of income than increase the price of the DLC.

• The_Sharp_Ninja
    The_Sharp_Ninja Member Posts: 39
    Options

I originally thought that the idea of a battle pass was going to turn Dead by Daylight into another game in existence that I shouldn't even have to name, but with the idea that you could earn the battle pass by just playing the game, that's pretty good. I don't see a problem with it.

• Tucking_Friggered
    Tucking_Friggered Member Posts: 636
    Options

Not quite. You still had to make a $10 purchase of which you do not get that $10 back. You do get more value from the $10 you spend though.

• Tucking_Friggered
    Tucking_Friggered Member Posts: 636
    edited October 2019
    Options

Life is full of paywalls. Is objective reality as hard for you to deal with as it appears? The internet is behind a paywall. Electricity is behind a paywall. Owning a computer is behind a paywall. Game companies have to pay for designers, yet another paywall.

Of course the best stuff is behind the premium portion. Do you think people will pay for the lesser when the best is free?

Stop whinging.

• Endstille
    Options

You legit contradict yourself, you come in start a list with points that are wrong and then state you do not want to argue. I am not hostile about it, it is just tiresome that people are unable to see the diffrence between getting their money back and getting some virtual ingame currency that is worth nothing.

I am not hostile, i am frustrated with the fact this is a paid game and they include free2play mechanics which you would suspect in dota,cs:go, world of tanks. All titles you can play for free with the entire content, not in dbd where you have to pay for diffrent killers and skills and survivors.

From here it is not far to premium accounts and other stuff but hey, keep supporting everything.

• BernardoOne
    BernardoOne Member Posts: 1
    Options

Sounds pretty irrational imo.

The battlepass is a pretty good deal, not to mention it allows you to get all the next battle passes for free if you complete it. That's infinitely better than overpriced skins. Just think about it for a minute. For the price of one single skin you can get every battle pass that will ever exist.

• Kotorious
    Kotorious Member Posts: 4
    Options

Things cost money children. You don’t have to pay for any of this stuff to enjoy the game. You receive no benefits or advantage from purchasing the battle pass. If people want to spend their own money on a battle pass, why are you guys crying about it?

I’m happy because now I can spend less of my money on the game and grind towards a lot of new cosmetics. I’m actually going to get more out of the money I’ve been spending on this game. This is a win for us cosmetic users, or at the very least a step in a better direction.

• SinfulHarlot
    SinfulHarlot Member Posts: 154
    Options

@Endstille How is it that you can be so passionate about something and at the same time be so dense about it. When you bought this game you were buying how it was at that moment. You're not entitled to shards or the cosmetics that they release. The fact that you can get stuff(DLC and cosmetics) with free in-game currency is generous enough. You already got what was promised to you at the initial investment.

Keep in mind that cosmetics have no bearing on gameplay.

• SinfulHarlot
    Options

@Endstille Also you don't have to pay for the killers and survivors especially since most of all meta perks are in vanilla. This is not to even mention the shrine.

• FrenziedRoach
    FrenziedRoach Member Posts: 2,600
    Options

that's what the DLC's are for

There's a point where you have to draw a line and say "Enough is enough"

But hey, if you got more money than sense, have at it.

• Dreamnomad
    Dreamnomad Member Posts: 3,691
    Options

I honestly hate the phrase 'slap in the face'. It feels so misused most of the time. Purely cosmetic items they can implement any way they want to imho. The second they add a feature where if you have the full pay only cosmetic you get a 5th perk slot or something is when I quit and never come back.

• SinfulHarlot
    Options

@FrenziedRoach Why is this so horrid to you? Are you that bothered by people enjoying more cosmetics just because it conflicts with your perception of how this game should be?

• Mrs_Fairfield
    Mrs_Fairfield Member Posts: 125
    Options

I decided not to spend any more money on the game until they fix the glitch where the camera controls invert. I haven't really paid attention to DLC or cosmetics since and don't mind missing the battle pass. I'm glad other people are buying this stuff though. It makes it more likely some of the bugs will be fixed before the game is abandoned.

• Rydog
    Rydog Member Posts: 3,275
    Options

Every non-F2P game that has implemented this kind of system has encountered backlash. I know you guys want to do mental gymnasticss to defend a company's every action, but this is shameless double-dipping, and it is predatory.

• MegaWaffle
    MegaWaffle Member Posts: 4,172
    Options

And lets not forget that (aside from licensed dlc) all the killers and survivors can be purchased for free AND the perks all eventually end up in the Shrine.

I hate having to pay for things (since I work a normal job with normal bills) but this is a game that offers everything for free quite reasonably and I haven't seen anything too greedy yet.

• kcwolf1975
    Options

A lot of people even got the game for free with playstation plus.....

• UlvenDagoth
    UlvenDagoth Member Posts: 3,535
    Options

I have very little money XD But sure! Let's just agree to disagree