Hex: Ruin is like old Brutal Strength

Options

Killers are too, TOO dependent on this perk, especially m1 killers.

Maybe, Ruin should be in the base kit?

By default in the map will spawn Hex totem which will cause Hex Skill Checks while repairing. Good skill checks result in loosing 1% of progression and the generator becomes unrepairable for 3 seconds. Great skill checks only result in 0% progression.

Perk “Hex Ruin” will just increase the percentages of good skill checks to 3/4/5%. What do you think?

Comments

• Cyro
    Cyro Member Posts: 79
    Options

Most survivors just power through ruin and don't give a crap about the perks existence in most of their games. However when I play with ruin I at least expect it to be in a half decent spot, but nope there it is, in the middle of the wide open with absolutely nothing covering it.

• FlamingkittyUmad
    FlamingkittyUmad Member Posts: 313
    Options

Actually it's more of a 50/50 between "run around the map looking for it (or even just a quick search)" and "powering through it", more or less based on survivors coordination/ experience. Also ruin isn't meant to last very long either, it's sheer power for slowing down the start of a trial is it's main benefit, even if it gets cleansed early on that's more time to gain momentum.

• Cyro
    Options

True, but not true at the same time, you saying if ruin lasts for even a minute then it did its job is a very untrue statement at red ranks. The fact being if it lasted for a minute the perk may as well say 'survivors have slightly difficult skill checks but only for a minute', then that's that, you are now 3 perking the rest of the game.

• Cyro
    Options

If ruin lasted for only a minute then it really didn't do its job at all. At that point the perk may as well say 'survivors get slightly harder skill checks, but it lasts for a minute', then that's that, you are now three perking the rest of the game. Like I said just fix totem spots honestly.

• FlamingkittyUmad
    Options

The most import times for killer are the start of the match and after all gens are completed. a full minute of slowed progression is plenty of time to coordinate yourself.

Ruin does not just create "slightly harder skill checks", ruin imposes a hard progress penalty on every skillcheck (taking away great skill check progress bonus & freezing/ regressing a gen on a good skill check). the suvivors who work on gens take the progression penalties, and those who spent time looking/ cleansing the totem have not been repairing generators.

• Cyro
    Options

You're acting as if red rank survivors can't hit their skill checks, they aren't apes. They do actually know how to hit them quite consistently, it really isn't hard to hit greats once you've felt them out. And most red rank survivors won't look for ruin, they'll simply stumble on it as they power through it.

• FlamingkittyUmad
    Options

Ruin takes away the progression bonus for hitting a great skillcheck. Taking away a boost is the same as imposing a negative.

It might not be much but skill checks add up really fast, and not even the most pro dbd players hit every great skillcheck 100% of the time

• Cyro
    Options

I think you're giving ruin just a bit too much credit at red ranks, the gens still fly whether or not ruin is active. I do agree with you when you say it does slow them down even if its just a bit, then all you do is hope you get a good first chase in.

• FlamingkittyUmad
    Options

I know it's a short amount of time, but that little bit of time at the start of the match really defines how the rest of the match will play out.

• Ark_the_Bonsai
    Ark_the_Bonsai Member Posts: 867
    Options

This a thousand times. As killer all time is important. Gaining even 30 seconds can turn a loss into a win as fast as losing 30.

• MasterUff
    MasterUff Member Posts: 78
    Options

As survivor I like it if the killer have no ruin. that usually are the easiest games you have.

5 gens in under 4 mins are possible then even without good comrades.

• UlvenDagoth
    UlvenDagoth Member Posts: 3,535
    Options

I get alot of work out of Surge+ Thrilling+ Corrupt+ STBFL !

• TragicSolitude
    TragicSolitude Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 6,826
    Options

Are easy games fun? A match that provides no challenge, just doing a quick gen repair sim, is that actually fun?

• LordGlint
    LordGlint Member Posts: 8,023
    Options

Personally, after having ruin blow up within a minute for so many games and spending the rest of the match with 3 perks, I swapped out ruin for surge on my Freddy. While ruin is nice while it works, Im liking the consistancy of using a perk that doesnt come with a risk. Games have been going pretty good, and this is currently at rank 2. Ive watched gameplay of other people who dont run slowdown perks at all, with "non-meta" killers and still do just fine.

• MasterUff
    MasterUff Member Posts: 78
    edited October 2019
    Options

If you get chased a little bit, have your unhooks and enough gens repaired to pip, yes. Easy bp and easy win for easy fun. And it usually dont take long. But I have to say, most killer seem to dc instead after gens pops too fast.

I usually like also challenges, thats why I play games online. But with dbd, this thinking changed after some time and now easier games are more funny. But only for DBD, in others games without a team I like it tough.

• Madjura
    Madjura Member Posts: 2,426
    Options

Surge without Surveillance: don't do this to yourself, they work so well together. I would drop Corrupt Intervention and put in Surveillance instead.

• UlvenDagoth
    UlvenDagoth Member Posts: 3,535
    Options

Tried that! Legion doesn't lend well to gen defense! I'll try it again some time though!

• StrickxNyne
    StrickxNyne Member Posts: 230
    Options

Ide trade that build in for borrowed time and decisive strike to be base on all survivors. True anti tunnel

• Huntress4Life
    Huntress4Life Member Posts: 48
    Options

I'd say borrowed should be available to everyone, but decisive would mean we'd lose our killer base pretty much then and there

• FriendlyGuy
    FriendlyGuy Member Posts: 2,768
    Options

No ruin basekit, no BT basekit, just a secondary objective. At the moment a game lasts ~10 minutes at high ranks. If you would longer the chase time for survivors with map tiles, pallet spawns and so on, you can give them anpther objective to longer the whole game.

• Kaiju
    Kaiju Member Posts: 530
    Options

Is Ruin even necessary anyway? I stop using it like a year ago PGTW is way better

• Alessuhhh
    Alessuhhh Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2019
    Options

You killers still running hex perks when all it takes is one survivor running small game and making it their job to cleanse all 5 before doing anything else. How bout stop relying on a crutch that barely works and maybe git gud at doing your job as a killer lol

• Mochan
    Mochan Member Posts: 2,886
    edited October 2019
    Options

Which is actually enough in the red ranks. A red rank killer should be good at finding and ending chases, or he won't cut the mustard.

Lots of Red Rank Killers still use Ruin specifically for that little advantage. As high rank players in DbD like to say, "a little advantage is a lot in this game."

• twistedmonkey
    twistedmonkey Member Posts: 4,291
    Options

It's not that Ruin is need it's just that it artificially can give one a sense of being the better player like most of the top perks do.

I don't rely on any perks in this game. While some I like to use for certain actions like Iron Will for juking or BBQ for points I always try to play without them for a few games as I find I can become too reliant and start to play worse over time.

Strong perks should never become base as they are strong due to them being able to turn the game in your favour through the mechanic rather than how well you can play.

• EverflowingRiver
    EverflowingRiver Member Posts: 562
    Options

I'm only a new switch player whose been playing for a little bit each day, but I've reached rank 14 playing with Huntress running 3 hex perks and it has worked all right for me. But like I said, I'm only rank 14 so this could become a problem later on.

• EverflowingRiver
    EverflowingRiver Member Posts: 562
    edited October 2019
    Options
  • ColonGlock
    ColonGlock Member Posts: 1,224
    edited October 2019
    Options

With the new Detective's Hunch changes and all the survivors coming to trials with maps and small game, Ruin is going to be an endangered species. Not to mention inner strength users totem hunting.

Corrupt is more consistent for stopping that first gen popping fast because the survivors spawned in together.

That being said, it will still work well ....sometimes.

• heavendog
    heavendog Member Posts: 35
    Options

I don't use ruin but I'm also only green ranks lol

• Mochan
    Options

Like people are gonna bring Detective's Hunch and Small Game.

Those two are niche perks at best, even with the buff. People have had access to Small Game for ages and it's never become meta even though every killer is using Ruin.

Inner Strength surprisingly is not popular. Only totem hunters like me actually use it. I've been playing tons of games since Stranger Things hit and I rarely see Inner Strength being used.

• TheUnendingNightmare
    TheUnendingNightmare Member Posts: 1,172
    Options

Hag (red rank)

-Ruin

-Thrill of the hunt

-Haunted ground

-Huntress lullaby

If they are still cleansing your totems to quickly, it's your own fault.

Like I see a lot of ppl complain about totem cleansing but they never use Toth.

• thrawn3054
    thrawn3054 Member Posts: 5,897
    Options

Inner Strength is probably my favorite perk honestly. I get a heal for getting blood points. Yes please. Also given the sheer amount of Noed I'm encountering it's just more incentive.

• Quol
    Quol Member Posts: 694
    edited October 2019
    Options

The biggest problem with this idea is that killers that run Ruin are only running 3 perks after its destroyed. Making Ruin a default mechanic essentially lets killers run 4 perks of their choice and Hex:Ruin.

The point of Hex:Ruin is to generate artificial pressure at the beginning of the match where survivors are at their strongest until the killer can generate their own pressure. My change would be;

Hex:Ruin no longer is a totem perk but lasts for 60/80/120 seconds.

• Mochan
    Options

Inner Strength is my new "crutch" perk. I can't leave home without it. I'm frankly surprised not more people are running it, but at the same time I'm glad because that means I don't have to compete with others for totems.

• thrawn3054
    thrawn3054 Member Posts: 5,897
    Options

I rarely see anyone else run it either. But hey, more totems for me.

• monstermaster42
    monstermaster42 Member Posts: 81
    edited October 2019
    Options

Ruin, oh you mean free lightbringer iridescent and extra bloodpoints, nah id rather run thanatiphobia and punish them all game xD brutal strength also makes you kick gens faster, its a great perk don't know why people are dissing it so much

Post edited by monstermaster42 on
  • rd_dex
    rd_dex Member Posts: 253
    Options

That just doesn’t work, I was excited about better totem spots for the new Badham maps but I’ve learned all the spots pretty fast so have other survivors. Totem system is just flawed because there must be 5 totems on the map and people figure them out pretty quickly. Not to talk abou how Ruin seems to spawn on one eventually two totems and just ignore other making it that much easier to find.

• nerfeverything
    nerfeverything Member Posts: 52
    Options

Why use ruin when you could use pop goes the weasel and have a better perk the entire trial?

If ruin is base, adrenaline should be as well. Or Spine Chill. No perk should be added to the base kit on either side. It eliminates the resource management aspect of the game and brings down the QoL. New players would have a tremendously difficult time with ruin and many would probably just give the game up.

• Mr_K
    Mr_K Member Posts: 9,128
    Options

Ask yourself why Brutal Strength was meta and why it no longers is. Speeding up pallet breaking was only one nail in this coffin.

• Well_Placed_HexTotem
    Options

There might be other perks some of the more mobile killers can use but most of the M1 killers are wasting time in red ranks playing without Ruin.

For example I love Trapper. By the time I’ve set up traps, two or three gens will pop without Ruin. If I’m Wraith by the time one chase is done, I’m down at least two gens unless the survivor is a potato. Same with others like Bubba and Clown. Plague. The reason more mobile killers are more popular is they can end chases quickly and apply pressure. M1 killers have no map pressure.

• GrootDude
    GrootDude Member Posts: 14,110
    Options

I prefer noed and PGTW

• White_Owl
    White_Owl Member Posts: 3,786
    edited October 2019
    Options

With Trapper Corrupt Intervention is definetly better than Ruin imo.

• Nikkiwhat
    Nikkiwhat Member Posts: 1,378
    Options

The funniest thing, at least on console, is that 90% of Survivor teammates IMMEDIATELY start zipping around looking for Ruin once they all realize it's being used. You don't even need to hit every Great Skill check, jus split up or work in 2's and you can chunk em out jus fine. Unless the Killer is running full Gen Protection builds...there's little reason to be scared of it. I hit the majority of Ruin Checks..by the time 2-3 Survivors aimlessly wander around looking for Ruin (none running Smal Game) and MAYBE find it....at least 3-4 Gens could have realistically been finished, barring from ######### totem spots that get cleansed asap, (which rarely happens for me as Survivor). It's great practice tbh, but so many jus.....dont even try.