The battle of the gens, which gen(s) should be done first

Carlosylu
Carlosylu Member Posts: 2,948
edited October 2019 in General Discussions

There are gens that I feel should get done first no matter what, for me it's:

• Mid gen (to split gens and start avoiding 3 genning the team)
  • Basement area gen (cause you have to get rid of the dangerous zone gen for survs to avoid that zone)
  • One person gen(s) (except in Hawkins, leaving the top one is best for last, easy far away gen to get the killers attention when there's just one gen left to fix)

I'm posting this cause it's amazing how even in purple ranks people do gens next to each other instead of "smart" picking which one to do.

Actually I've learnt that the gen you spawn next to is the worst gen to do, experienced killers go to that area ASAP, unless it's trapper, hag or Demo, they tend to place their "traps/portals" where they spawn first or next to Hexes

Comments

• Mr_K
    Mr_K Member Posts: 9,184

Actually I've learnt that the gen you spawn next to is the worst gen to do, experienced killers go to that area ASAP, unless it's trapper, hag or Demo, they tend to place their "traps/portals" where they spawn first or next to Hexes

This is an outright lie. You should do the gen you spawn next to. In fact, all four survivors should at least stay near it.

• Blueberry
    Blueberry Member Posts: 13,590
    edited October 2019

Yeah always gens in mid first, you want the killer to have to waste as much time as possible patrolling gens.

I also always skip over a gen for every gen I do. You never wanna do gen after gen all next to each other, that's just setting your team up for a rough 3 gen.

You're right though, it's surprising how even higher ranks still don't know this and just do whatever random gen they run into without keeping track of which gens have been done and which are left.

I plan out exactly which gens will be the last 3 from as soon as the game starts and building around which gens my team happens to do. This is also why I never complain about a killer with a 3 gen because it is completely avoidable and the survivors mistake if it got to that point.

• Carlosylu
    Carlosylu Member Posts: 2,948
  • Watery
    Watery Member Posts: 1,167

Middle. If you do those you can prevent three gen.

• Nikkiwhat
    Nikkiwhat Member Posts: 1,378

All the corners, leave middle together....so us Killers can give you all hugs ~_^ 💋

• karatinac97
    karatinac97 Member Posts: 210

If I see a basement gen I do that one first.

I try to do middle ones as well. If I see someone doing a gen right next to a finished one, I'll usually run to the other end of the map or in the middle to get a gen done.

Can't remember the map name but the one with all the farm equipment and little shack, it's very long and thin. That one is deadly if you 3 Gen yourself but it's very good if you play smart as the killer has to go further 😊 hehehe

• MegaWaffle
    MegaWaffle Member Posts: 4,172

Agree and disagree with the "mid" gen as that depends on its position. If the middle gen is in a building with an upper floor OR has a less than idea travel distance for killers it might be best to keep it till last. Similar with what you said about Hawkins.

• Mochan
    Mochan Member Posts: 2,886
    edited October 2019

Basement Area gen is not that important.

Middle gen I agree should be done ASAP. And most killers don't target this at first for whatever reason (they tend to go to the far gens first) and it's usually lightly patrolled unless someone they chase brings them to the middle gens. Finishing the middle gen first greatly improves survivor's chances of completing all gens, because it makes it a lot harder for the killer to patrol when there are only 1-2 gens left to finish.

On two maps it's important to get one gen on each side done. There are still newbs out there who just do one side of Azarov's or Suffocation Pit. This basically dooms the team to failure on what should be an easy map.

Single person gen not so important.

As for the gen you spawn to being worst, this is not true. Unless you all spawn together, you have a 3/4 chance of being safe (unless you got some Claudettes and Neas or some other teammate who doesn't bother doing gens). Gen rush is done by people doing the gens closest to them. Wasting time repositioning slows the genrush. The unlucky survivor who drew the short straw simply has to suck it up and loop. If you want to stealth or play it safe, though, then yes it's a good idea not to do the gen next to you. This is still not 100% iron clad though because spawns differ from match to match. Sometimes you spawn right next to the killer, and the killer ignores your gen and goes to the far end. It's really RNG and the odds are not that bad.

• Mochan

That's Azarov's. There are two maps like that. Azarov's and Suffocation Pit. Experienced survivors know to target middle gens first, then one on each side. Advanced survivors (who might have Alert) will 99% the gens on each side to screw with the killer.

• Mochan

It's important to point out that a killer can force a 3-Gen by protecting 3-Gens. Survivors might not have had a choice in the matter if they didn't have someone skilled enough to loop the killer for long periods of time.

But otherwise, 3-gen is usually avoidable on most maps, there are just a surprising number of dumb survivors who don't understand gen strategy.

• blue4zion
    blue4zion Member Posts: 2,773

It's insane how many people do gens right next to each other, I'm always going straight to the middle to split the gens

• Blueberry
    Blueberry Member Posts: 13,590

"if they didn't have someone skilled enough to loop the killer for long periods of time."

I think this is the key take away here though. It is in the survivors control even if the killer is trying to force it. If it worked then the survivor wasn't good at looping. That is a skill issue on the survivor, not an inability to prevent the strat.

"But otherwise, 3-gen is usually avoidable on most maps, there are just a surprising number of dumb survivors who don't understand gen strategy."

That's true.

• Mochan

Well, my point is if the survivors got outskilled, then they couldn't have prevented the strat. It's a survivor skill issue, but it's not necessarily the survivor's mistake because in this sense it's beyond their ability to prevent it from happening. They can be fully aware of what the killer is trying to do, but are just powerless to prevent it.

• NoShinyPony
    NoShinyPony Member Posts: 4,570

Also don't forget that at the beginning of a match it's usually a good idea for everyone to work on separate gens.

• xBEATDOWNSx
    xBEATDOWNSx Member Posts: 636

Always do the dead zone first. It's risky but you don't want to be in the middle of the map with multiple angles looking at you while doing a gen at the end. You want as much distance as possible from the killer

• TomTheSequel
    TomTheSequel Member Posts: 58

I always do basement gens first, they are the most dangerous to do and your team will be in a severe disadvantage if one of you gets hooked there. Also, depending on the map, the basement gens are usually in the middle anyway.

• Boss
    Boss Member Posts: 13,614

I know there's better ways to repair them.

But i care little, i just repair.

• twistedmonkey
    twistedmonkey Member Posts: 4,291

I tend to try for the middle gen if possible.

If I see all the others are on one side of the map repairing then I move to the other to try and spread them out.

• SnakeSound222
    SnakeSound222 Member Posts: 4,467
    edited October 2019

If I feel like the others are focusing gens on one side of the map, then I'll try to move to the other to help prevent a three gen strat. If I see two gens close to each other, I'm going to do one of them ASAP just in case a third gen is nearby.

The one gen that I'm not entirely sure what to do with as both sides is a shack gen.

• Dicklaycia
    Dicklaycia Member Posts: 147

I usually like to pound out the generator I spawn next to, and then go from there. I’ll try to go to the central generator most of then time if it’s an option to avoid trapping me and my teammates in the dreaded 3-gen situation.

• Mat_Sella
    Mat_Sella Member Posts: 3,554
    edited October 2019

I attempt to do the gen(s) closest to the basement, because if someone gets trapped there, and the only gens that remain become the 3 closest to the basement, the game will come to a screeching halt if no one is careful.

this is especially true if the basement is in the killer shack or an equally defendable area.

• LordGlint
    LordGlint Member Posts: 8,333

It's funny when you do this, only to realize I have surge and your 99 gen has been regressing for awhile.

• LordGlint
    LordGlint Member Posts: 8,333

I typically hop on the first gen I see, but if I notice my teammates are all in my area doing the same (bond ftw), I'll cross the map to hit the other side. The middle gen IS important, as well as super unsafe gens. It's easier to get the gen on the 2nd floor of Thompson house or in the basement of Temple of purgation when the killer has 7 gens to patrol as opposed to 3. These gens are typically free hits to the killer if they notice someone is on them.

Basement and shack gens arnt really special. Shack gen is pretty much just the same as any other gen situated in a jungle gym.