Please remove button mashing

I've died on hook because I slow down a bit: I don't want to get carpal tunnel syndrome. Please just let me hold down the Struggle button instead of mashing it.

Comments

• Shraar
    Shraar Member Posts: 219

Or if for whatever reason it NEEDS to be mashed to trick people into thinking they're having a fun interactive game experience while they're stuck on a hook, can you make the mash requirements less frequent? Like instead of 100 times/second or you die, let me press it once per second?

• Fibijean
    Fibijean Member Posts: 8,342

I agree the struggle mechanic is problematic, but a lot of people do struggle a lot more intensely than they need to. You only need to press the button about 3-4 times a second in order to stay alive, there's no need to mash it as fast as humanly possible.

• Yung_Slug
    Yung_Slug Member Posts: 2,238

You don't need to mash it that fast. Sometimes that actually results in you dying because the game might not realize you're pressing the button very quickly and not just holding it down.

You could also try changing the struggle button to mouse wheel down. I haven't tried it myself, but I've seen a lot of people do it so it should be helpful.

• Shraar

I literally have it on Mouse Wheel down right now lol, good advice: it is better than space, but I still find it to be a terrible part of the game.

• TreSen
    TreSen Member Posts: 186

I mean, honestly, just use a macro.

• Neigeflocon
    Neigeflocon Member Posts: 13
    edited November 2019

--

Post edited by Neigeflocon on
  • Neigeflocon

Of all people I've introduced to the game, I think all of them struggled with this issue. Pun intended.

It causes many premature deaths at the first second when someone starts literally mashing the button, not only that but since you have to essentially sweet spot the struggle phase, one missed beat is also your demise.

It should probably be changed somehow. Perhaps something like very easy skill checks to replace the mashing. Think the entire generator skill check bar but white and a little bit more larger. It could even have its own animations indicating the entity about to strike you as it approaches, the struggling done on its own with you having to only focus the skill checks occasionally.

In fact if this was ever implemented it could literally be possible to buff monstrous shrine with presenting harder skill checks in the struggle phase, making basements deadlier.

• Shraar

I would infinitely prefer consistent skillchecks on the hook over the current struggle phase: Skillchecks are actually sort of fun. For every failed skillcheck, you sacrifice faster. For every great, you restore some of the timer. I would like that.

• Neigeflocon

I was thinking more in the means of making one long and full-white skill check that fails your struggle if missed. Sort of like button mashing failure.

And add monstrous shrine tweak that makes these skill checks harder to hit. Great-Normal skill checks could complicate or over-saturate it since we are used to seeing them on gens.