Being abused because I'm new

USNHooligan
USNHooligan Member Posts: 11
edited November 2019 in General Discussions

I usually play SWF and never had killers be like this, So I've had games where people call me names because I got them killed via a Mori, While others threaten me via messages or swear abuse at me because my survivor outfit looks "better than there's" which is legit what some random told me.

I'm not new to the internet because I know what people are like but DBD seems crazy.

Post edited by Rizzo on

Comments

• UrbanChaos45
    UrbanChaos45 Member Posts: 37

Yeah randoms in DBD can be extremely disrespectful to us new players for example some dude messaged me in caps because I got him killed on a hook before.

People are petty in DBD even at yellow ranks.

• Xerge
    Xerge Member Posts: 928

Yeah, welcome to one of the most toxic gaming communities that exist.

• USNHooligan
    edited November 2019

Yeah I know I'm not the only one but I seem to get targeted for abusive messages.

• Rydog
    Rydog Member Posts: 3,275

@USNHooligan I'm sorry people are being like this toward you. Everyone is new at some point.

The worst I've done is jokingly say "looks like matchmaking is doing its job today" in the lobby when we get matched with a rank 19 or something. But I've seen low rank players who do very well, so it's important to give everyone a chance. Help them learn, don't tear them down.

• Xerge
    edited November 2019

I have two theories; maybe this type of game attracts a lot of weirdos with sadistic tendencies or the game is just so unbalanced and poorly designed that it manages to get the worst out of people who are trying to be competitive. Maybe the toxicity is a combination of both things.

• USNHooligan

Probably but at yellow ranks should it really be like that? Yeah you can be competative but not rage and threaten others especially in yellow ranks.

There are amazing randoms who're very helpful but the majority are ignorant

• AGuyNamedKane
    AGuyNamedKane Member Posts: 71

Please leave your complaints in the box beside the door on your way out. Hope you had a good stay.

In all seriousness, welcome to the community. Ignore all of the garbage as best you can. Who cares what others think. You're new. You'll learn and get better, but the trash talking probably will never stop. That's just how a lot of the players are. They always need a scapegoat to blame.

• DBD_Pinhead
    DBD_Pinhead Member Posts: 763

Turn your messages off when playing the game starting out should be rule #1.

• USNHooligan
  • Nobsyde
    Nobsyde Member Posts: 1,288

there was a post on reddit made by a psychologist that was on point in respect to how the gameplay of DbD inherently exposes toxic behaviour and responses.

You pallet stun a killer? You just humiliated him, might as well tbag to let it sink even more.

You mind game a poor Bill at a T-L? You humiliated him as well, why not tunnel him eventually?

Oh you use Hex: Ruin? Too bad, I cleanse it immediately and then proceed to gen rush you. Humiliated!

And this goes on and on (the post was much more insightful, but you get the idea). On predisposed subjects this pattern trickles in the meta game, that is post game chat, private messaging, forum.. It's no surprise this board sees so many people banned everyday, and rightfully so.

There's no simple solution though - the only way to soothe things would be to elicit somehow empathy, but you can't really do it in this iteration of DbD; there are too many variables, too much asymmetry.

Imagine if a single game wasn't a single trial, but five (with swf banned though): now one trial you are the killer, the next four you are a survivor, and this would be true for everyone. I can tbag you, of course, but that would happen to me as well, how does it feel, now? To camp, to tunnel, to use a key... everything will enlighten those main survivor/killer.

...or not :).

so, @USNHooligan, I can't tell you deal with it, because no one really can deal with something that's so unfair. But I found a very alleviating process to cope with meta toxicity at least (that is: messaging): if they try to mock you, just answer "AHAHAHA ezzzzzzz", if you lost or won doesn't matter at all - if they want to engage, you just won't accept their field with this non sensical answer, and they'll leave you alone.

Don't argue, just "AHAHAH ezzzzz", that's it, they'll lose interest.

• Nobsyde
    edited November 2019

the simple fact that you say baby killer means you are part of the problem and just confirms my point on the trickling down toxicity.

Also your first statement is what is called a straw man argument: no, it's not actions that progress your team etc etc, it's actions that humiliate the opposite party or yourself that elicit negative behaviours.

Take care and remember: AHAHAHAH ezzzzzzz ;).

• Nobsyde

You just lack empathy, that's the whole point.

If you don't see why certain things are humiliating, and that humiliation is why some people have bad experiences, it's not their problem, it's yours.

I'm not here to argue with you though, you can keep your opinions all the same, but someone else can read and reach it's own conclusions.

• USNHooligan

Actually killers have been nothing but helpful to me via messages, I usually get abuse from survivors on my team.

• vossler25
    vossler25 Member Posts: 416

Welcome to dbd, the worst community of any game

• Auron471
    Auron471 Member Posts: 1,310

i actually dont have that much of an issue of people being A-holes in red ranks oddly enough.

• SaintDenisSlasher
    SaintDenisSlasher Member Posts: 227

Sounds about right

• Xerge

Not sure if it's the worst, but it's definetly the worst I've experienced through my whole life.

• DBD_Pinhead
    DBD_Pinhead Member Posts: 763

If you do it on the fly while in a match, you'll still get messages for a little bit. I leave my settings to friends only by default until I get ready to play another game. Adjust the setting before loading DBD. Sad but that's the state of the salt mines these days.

• OGOzSnowChimp
    OGOzSnowChimp Member Posts: 247

From what I've seen of my missus as a survivor main, she cops more abuse from other survivors than I do as a killer main.

• vossler25
    vossler25 Member Posts: 416

I thought cod was bad, they seem chill in comparison, don't know any other community worse, the only part of the community is ok are the forums but even then for dbd this forum is really split between survivor mains, killer mains and those that do both

• ASAPTurtle
    ASAPTurtle Member Posts: 968
  • OldManGloom
    OldManGloom Member Posts: 51

I think I'm at the verge of turning off messages myself for similar reasons. It's dumb to me how toxic survivors are to each other. I maybe received 1 message from a killer who was miffed, but they mixed me up with a toxic survivor on my team (ended up being a good chat with the killer).

I always get a bit of a sad when I try to message a team mate at the end of a really good game just to say GG or "well we did the best with what we had" (with a camper or 1/2 the team DCing) and see they have messaging off. Maybe it's a culmination of all their online games that made them shut em off, but I'm always convinced it's solely from DBD.

Bottom line - we're all crap to each other, somehow. There's just a bunch of folks who want to go out of their way to let you know they're the crappiest.

• MrPeterPFL
    MrPeterPFL Member Posts: 636

Honestly just ignore and block them, you will always come across people who are "toxic" in Dbd.

• 8obot1c
    8obot1c Member Posts: 1,129

I mean usually when I get a low rank I sigh, but I don't get mad, if they are like rank 20,19, or 18 I know I might have to carry a bit, but if you are rank 17 - 1 I think you know the gist of the game. I try not to get mad when a rank 20 - 18 doesn't do anything, but if it's any rank lower I get mad cause they had the game long enough to know what to do and get to that rank.

• TunnelVision
    TunnelVision Member Posts: 1,375
  • TunnelVision
    TunnelVision Member Posts: 1,375

I can hands down say this is the most toxic game i have ever played in my life. I've had more messages in a week than i've had in my history of gaming.

There is something about this game that quite literally is red flag to a bull.

• brokedownpalace
    brokedownpalace Member Posts: 8,793

Just in the past two weeks I've seen people complain that Dead by Daylight, Call of Duty Modern Warfare, League of Legends and Apex Legends all have the worst community ever in gaming.

I wonder who's right. Idk about you but I play 3 of those games and I don't see any community as worse than the other. There's complaining and trash talking and toxicity and balance or design issues in all three.

The only difference in my mind is that in DBD every match only has max 5 players so everything feels more personal. And when you play DBD instead of someone screaming "YOUR MOTHER IS A *****" into the mic, they have an anonymous seeming text box they can dump their frustration into. And they get to say stuff they'd never say out loud or to someone's face.

You can't change anyone else. If you don't want to make it so people can't get in contact with you after a match then you'll need to accept that there are people out there who will say some crappy things. If something crosses the line report it. If it feels overwhelming, then hide the chat or make your account more private.

But keep one thing in mind: nothing about your skill in a video game is a reflection of who you are as a person or your worth in the world. Try not to take it personally.

• Raccoon
    Raccoon Member Posts: 7,693

I really doubt that guy/gal was actually a medical professional.

• JESUS_CHRIST
    JESUS_CHRIST Member Posts: 313

The hate gradually decreases as you move up in rank and people understand that most things can be countered if you play your cards right. Until then a lot of people think you have to play by their rules and give them an easy time while they don't pull any stops. Being a poor sport constantly probably gets tiring and people learn to take their lumps too.

• theArashi
    theArashi Member Posts: 998

I'm sorry that your experience happend to be like that but not all players play like that.

Sadly it's natural human reaction to blame everything on "teammates" because while survivors are in a team of 4 there is no obligation to help anyone so everyone is on their own and essentially hopes for teammates to do their job.

Don't take anything people say in anger as their actual opinion as it is just heavily tilted for one side.

Also on an off chance that you get matched with a better/more experienced killer he may capitalize on a weak link in survivors. If one survivor appear much weaker in looping and gens he will go down quickly and will be used as bait for others to get into unfavourable position.

That is how the game plays and hopefully devs will proceed to easy people into the ranking system so that they won't be versing people with widely different skill level.

Nothing is as frustrating as playing killer for a first time and going against survivors that are average in their looping skill which pretty much makes them feel that it is impossible to land a single hit in.

• TheRealHansGruber
    TheRealHansGruber Member Posts: 204

I have 2 and a half thousand hours in this game. My advice? Ride the salt, consume it for more strength.

• Nobsyde
  • Raccoon
    edited November 2019

Because it gives undeserved weight/credibility to their writing, as evidenced by you stating their 'profsssion' prior to their views.

• Nobsyde
    edited November 2019

That's your opinion, not mine :). I just stated that it was a reddit post written by a psychologist. Even if he lied, you understood exactly what was the post I was talking about, so mission accomplished by me :).

By the way, why you think he's a lier by the way, I'm curious. Do you have psychological studies background maybe?

• Raccoon

Posting it for anyone else that wants to read it.

It was posted from a throwaway account, both "unique" concepts are found in most games with a winner/loser, many assumptions are made about both the playerbase and players as individuals (particularly with regards to emotional states and reactions), everything is stated as a fact instead of being discussed as a theory, CAPS and flowery language are used for emphasis instead of concrete examples, etc.

I do have formal training in certain areas of the field, but it's rather specialized with a focus on criminal behavior, aggression, and death.

• Nobsyde
    edited November 2019

It seems to me you don't like his post because of how he presents his opinions, instead of what those opinions are. Plus it's not even true that he presented things as facts:

I would argue that every aspect of the gameplay is an act of humiliation, not competition, like you see in other games

What do you expect, that every point he presents instead of being "DbD does this and that" should be "I think that DbD does this and that" :)? It's implicit.

• tortrader
    tortrader Member Posts: 539

Turn off the lobby chat so they you don't see their comments.

• FearlessHunter
    FearlessHunter Member Posts: 530
    edited November 2019

Best thing to do mate is to turn off the chat box by clicking the speech bubble button next time a game ends and never turn it back on. Or if your on console you can go into the consoles settings and make it so you only receive messages from friends. Don't let some d*ck heads ruin your experience because you're new. People act all tough on this game because it's the internet, they don't have to worry about saying it to someone's face. I hope these scummy players haven't caused you to swerve away from this game. Good luck in your future matches. :)

• USNHooligan

I have it set to friends only yet people can still send messaged through "messaged requests" it's bullcrap that you can't disable it although you can't turn messages off on facebook either so.

• FearlessHunter
    FearlessHunter Member Posts: 530

Ahhh I don't own an Xbox so I didn't know that. I know on PS4 it completely blocks messages from strangers altogether so I thought it would be the same with Xbox :(

• Raccoon

If you play on Steam, feel free to add me.

We can play and converse sometime if topics such as these interest you.

• Milkymalk
    Milkymalk Member Posts: 221
    edited November 2019

edit - I'm blind :D

• Nobsyde

@Raccoon posted it, it's here.

However, you shouldn't care too much on who posted it, just read and understand it, you can agree or disagree, it's not something built into stone. For example I disagree somehow on his reward-denial humiliation point, for the simple fact that only you know your overall emblem score, but a lot of other things make a lot of sense.