BHVR treats solo players like garbage

justarandy
justarandy Member Posts: 1,711
edited November 2019 in General Discussions

I just checked out Apex legends and saw this:

They added ammo icons in the HUD for everyone, so as solo player you know exactly what type of ammo your mates need and you can help them out to find them. And this wasn't even something requested much from the community but everyone is very happy and thankful for that. And this is just one little example, they have many stuff like that for solo players.

Now, BHVR doesn't give a crap about solos in DBD. We requested so many QoL changes but nothing gets done. Why is a free game providing so much better support for these details and why not DbD?

BHVR doesn't care, that's the reason. Simple. Otherwise we would have gotten the HUD improved like chase indication, gen indication, total totem counter etc years ago. But we haven't. We are constantly asking for that stuff but nothing happens, it's still like 2016.

Heck, they didn't even try out the kindred basekit idea in a PTB even tho many many experienced players agreed that this would fix multiple problems at once.

Comments

• Usui
    Usui Member Posts: 531

At first I thought this post was going to have more then just asking for HUD changes, like actual solo player experiences. Whether you get grouped with SWF or just 3 other solo's, I find especially in red ranks players are much more careless then around purple or green ranks. What I mean by that is they will usually prioritize doing a totem, opening a chest, before pulling you off the hook. And i'm talking like against non-camping killers, they legit just play like this because. It's frustrating.

• justarandy

Do you mean potatoes as team mates? If yes: that another issue we solo players have. The ranking system allows potatoes to rank up to easy which makes it very frustating to play with randoms against very skilled killers.

• Usui

I'm not entirely sure it's just potatoes, but I know what you mean. But i've even seen some of the better survivors behave this way and it's frustrating. I don't think for a second before i'm already running to hook to help someone out, it's just mind boggling.

• Mister_Holdout
    Mister_Holdout Member Posts: 3,144

In light of recent events, I would say Nurse mains have been treated the worst.

• TeambossFloze
    TeambossFloze Member Posts: 1,260

Surely once you start feeding someone information that tbh if they have any common sense you should know anyway, then isn't that going against the main tone of the game? It's not an Esport - its about surviving and making best use of the tools you have at your disposal.

As a solo survivor what information do you want ? what information do you think would benefit you that you cannot already get in the game? @TragicSolitude

• TragicSolitude
    TragicSolitude Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 7,164

Dunno exactly. A start would be base kit Kindred that shows survivor auras only when someone's on the hook. Players dying on their first hook is something I see constantly in my matches.

Adding a totem counter to Small Game would be helpful. Not even asking for that to be base kit, which for SWF it basically is.

Giving some sort of BP bonus to Borrowed Time would be nice. It's a strong perk when survivors bother to run it, but usually I'm the only one who ever does, so then I'm the one who dies because they unhook me in the killer's face. Something like a BP bonus might encourage selfish solo survivors to run it.

• TeambossFloze
    edited November 2019

Ok so lets try and see

1. Base kit kindred - Would this just be ONLY for solo survivors or Duos? Trios? but not for SWF? Or would it be for every survivor always to know where all of their team mates are at all times?
    2. Totem counter I could get on board with - I digress that the game is designed to disorientate you so giving you paint by number counters may be slightly against the ethos.
    3. BP to Borrowed time bonus - cant really see how this would improve the solo player game - I do question some peoples eagerness to unhook someone or not bother at all. I think personally a better idea could be to raise the chances of a kobi off the hook if you are a solo survivor (not by much though)

Personally i'm not seeing much here that you cant already do in the game and it almost feels like people want to have some kind of arcade mode for solo survivors where there is minimal difficulty, there are perks and enough triggers within the game for you to make educated guesses on what is happening - I do this myself when im in a SWF and when i'm out. I think the game already makes good on what people are asking for - personally I just see it as people are looking for ways not to have to use perks so they can tier ######### instead of using stuff to survive like the game expects.

@TragicSolitude

• ProfessorDunwich
    ProfessorDunwich Member Posts: 1,514

They were strongly considering making Kindred base kit. But then, they brilliantly came to the conclusion that "perks should never be base kit." And instead, proceeded to do absolutely nothing at all.

So yes, if you want your fellow solo survivors to have something even remotely close to what SWF has, you must use an entire perk slot.

So much wrong with this game, where simple fixes could go a long way. What do we get instead? A Fornite-style battle pass.

• Psychopathy
    Psychopathy Member Posts: 21

Alright, I can explain why.

In the event that the ruin totem is right there, or there is a possibility of a noed, it's actually the better idea to cleanse the totem before the save, as long as the person on hook can survive that long. Because once someone is unhooked, the killer will come, same with opening a chest. Doing it before makes sure they can finish before the killer comes.

@Usui

• ProfessorDunwich
    ProfessorDunwich Member Posts: 1,514

Your logic is absurd. This game is not scary. It is a competitive asymmetrical game with a horror coating.

• TeambossFloze

@Psychopathy if I have the time and the totem is like in front of a hooked survivor - I will always do the totem first before alerting the killer to the unhooked survivor - it just makes sense doesn't it ! so I agree

• TeambossFloze

and I agree with them - lets make sprint burst base kit, self care, hell lets do it so all the survivors can see all the totems, all the generators, all the team mates, the killer and chests every single game as base kit. Cos that'll improve the game ofc - I think people asking for basekit stuff to be added to the survivors should learn to be good at the game with no perks at all then add them on - they are there to give you "some" assistance in your fight against evil ! If I had my way thre would be no perks at all

• TeambossFloze

Firstly do not take my post in a combative tone - this is a polite discussion im having so calm down. I'm not disregarding the tier levels of perks, in fact I alluded to that in my post. I don't disagree that playing with friends is a benefit - I do question the level of skill still needed even in a SWF group as some of my friends are absolutely trash, no matter how much information you give them.

I think the game gives you all the information you need for you to be a successful survivor without having to use crutch perks, there is a level of skill involved and as you improve you get better the game and rely less on having to see everything single thing lit up on the map like its the 4th of July. To play without these things are Learnt as is technique and that is not up for debate either.

• TragicSolitude

But how do devs balance killers against that? That's the problem, at least as I see it. When there's such a huge gap between solo and SWF, and you yourself say that SWF is much easier, then a killer can't be well balanced against both.

• 8obot1c
    8obot1c Member Posts: 1,129

I wish I could see everybodies (besides the killers) perks before the match so I know if their perks help me in any way or not. I also hope next chapter they come up with solo que perks for survivors and SWF counter perks for killer

• TeambossFloze
    edited November 2019

I don't think the killer needs to be balanced against SWF at all - in fact I fail to see why you would balance the killer against SWF and not just against 4 standard survivors?

Thing is I don't think there is a huge gap between solo and swf, I think communication with SWF is useful as it improves timing, but other than that my potato team mate SWF party group are no better than the T3 Blendette who knows ######### she is doing. I think people look to SWF too readily and not at their own skill levels - personally. @TragicSolitude - I also think this is a good mannered debate about a hot topic within the game and needs some decent debate and back and forth.

• agutty1
    agutty1 Member Posts: 36
    edited November 2019

I agree. I hate it when people say it’s not horror. Like this game was scary when I first played it but over time I just got desensitized that it was no longer scary. You get use to it. Same goes with horror movies. They can be scary when you see it but watching it again you are no longer scared, but that doesn’t mean it’s no longer a horror movie. You just know what to expect.

• Xerge
    Xerge Member Posts: 928

I play solo all the time and I don't have any problems; sometimes I escape and sometimes I die, but even if I die I pip or black pip most of time: plus my death isn't in vain many times because it buys my team time to power up the exit gates or open them and escape and I'm okay with that because we were playing as a team, if at least one manages to escape it feels like a win to me.

I don't know how you play, but I tend to always change my last perk slot to run things like bond and kindred and I always run we'll make it. I'm planning on running detective's hunch now that it has been buffed

If you are struggling playing solo I advice you to run perks like bond, kindred and better together on your last perk slot and always run we'll make it, that's an amazing perk.

• TeambossFloze

I love @Xerge - this is how you play solo and SWF survivor people !

• TragicSolitude

Debates are good.

SWF can bring so much to the table that even the best killer will have trouble dealing with them. They have built in Kindred, Empathy, Bond, a totem counter. They know when a teammate is in a chase and it's safe to work on gens, make a save, or open an exit gate. Then, they each get four perks on top of that. If you have four survivors who are great solo playing SWF, they're going to destroy a likewise-ranked killer,

From a similar viewpoint, if you have a bunch of boosted survivors who normally play SWF now playing solo, likewise-ranked killers will destroy them, making the killer seem OP.

Every survivor, whether on voice coms or not, should have about the same chance. An even playing field on which everything else can be balanced. Otherwise, solo survivors and killers are going to continue to be frustrated by the game's "balance," where solo survivors feel weak against killers and killers feel weak against SWF.

• TeambossFloze

also directed at the original poster @justarandy - I don't think BHVR treat its players like trash, I think DBD players treat DBD players like trash :D

• TeambossFloze

I invite you to play with my swf team @TragicSolitude - you wont feel jack all benefit from that xD

• TragicSolitude

@TeambossFloze lol that good, huh? I haven't played SWF that much, usually when I'm playing games on PS4 it's not to be social, but the few times I have I was surprised by how much better I performed. I didn't necessarily escape but I survived much longer, was able to do more during the match. It was almost like a completely different game.

It's just crazy that there are perks that are made completely unnecessary by using voice coms, but SWF don't have to sacrifice any perk slots. If the game took into account that people communicating are basically going in with Kindred, Empathy, and Bond, that would leave them with only one perk slot.

It's just, to me, it seems like voice coms shouldn't do work for some players for which other players are required to use perks. The perks exist because players aren't supposed to have that information without using the perks/sacrificing perk slots for them. In other words, players shouldn't be able to use voice coms in the game while the game basically treats it like voice coms don't exist.

• PrincessPoop
    PrincessPoop Member Posts: 919

Yeah BHVR have done nothing to close the gap between solos and SWF and it’s honestly so disappointing. I can’t even have fun playing survivor anymore unless I’m playing SWF, because I feel like I’m at such a disadvantage. I end up just playing killer to relax.

• Raptorrotas
    Raptorrotas Member Posts: 3,238
    • Solo and SWF are mechanically the same in-trial
    • Any buff to Solo will also affect SWF to varying degrees. (100% or higher effiency)
    • Survivors dont want the Solo-Swf gap closed, it's the Solo-CWF differences.
  • Usui

I wans't referring to any of those situations, just normal hook status, letting people die for no reason.

• arslaN
    arslaN Member Posts: 1,936

They said they were looking into "closing the gap between solos and swf" but we still have no update on this and it feels like they aren't doing anything about this at all.

Even if they just made kindred basekit it would be a really good change. Why did they even decide not to do this anyway? They should have at least tested it on the ptb.

• HeroLives
    HeroLives Member Posts: 1,985
    edited November 2019

Strongly disagree, mostly your teammates treat you like garbage when you play solo.

• se05239
    se05239 Member Posts: 3,919

They also said they were looking into adding stuff like Rank Rewards but it has been 3+ years now.. I wouldn't hold my breath at this point. There's a lot of noise but little to not action.

• justarandy

Which is really sad. Dbd has so much potential, imagine another leadership would be working for DbD, a leadership which is a hardcore gamer by themselves and cares about the community.. Just imagine where dbd could be.. It's sad, it really is.

• se05239
    se05239 Member Posts: 3,919

No point in dwelling in the past. All we can do now is looking forward to all the new upcoming skins and other macrotransactions coming in the future.

• AshleyWB
    AshleyWB Member Posts: 4,061

Just a rocket League / overwatch style chat would be enough.

With custom messages.

I found hatch, gen almost complete, door at 99, I have a flashlight, omg key, Killer is looking for me, Basement!, Go for the unhook, heal?, Let'sa go, darn it, Stoopid killer, Stoopid teammates. And the post chat lobby selections of GG, tunneler, camper, nice connection, disgraceful McDonald's WiFi.

• darktrix
    darktrix Member Posts: 1,790

I'm seeing some comments to the effect of 'its supposed to be a horror game' 'survivors should have feelings of despair' - basically just sounds like some people saying it should suck to play survivor and that survivors are just there for a killer to kill.

You will hear stuff like that from killers when survivors are disadvantaged ('adapt' and 'get good' are also things they will toss in). When killers feel disadvantaged those same people will cry about fair balance between sides and nerfing whatever perks, items, mechanics that survivors have to defend themselves.

In the end some killers just don't want to risk losing their easier games versus solos and the devs apparently agree, because there have not been any significant QoL advancements for solos for years. The feeling is trying to balance between SWF and killers, and letting solos make their own way - ironic as that sounds.

• justarandy

Yes I noticed the same, those hardcore killer mains who think balancing swf and solo for a smaller gap is a bad idea just want to keep the ez wins against solos and they completely ignore the fact that reducing the gap would allow much stronger buffs for killers.

• justarandy

DbD is not a horror game after 10 hours game experience, sorry to blub your bubble.

• TeambossFloze

@justarandy You may not feel that it is a horror game after your 10 hours of game experience, however it is a horror game, it is officially an Asymmetrical survival horror game. Wether it is scary or not is debated but to say it isn't a horror game is just a flat out lie,

• darktrix
    darktrix Member Posts: 1,790

The point being, on a this thread discussing a subjective thing such as 'horror' is not a good justification point for explaining the solo disadvantage. They are still both games and both sides want a fair shake at winning.

• concious_consumer
    concious_consumer Member Posts: 282

We won't get anything because it's against the vision of immersed Claudette crouching for the whole game. This is how you're supposed to play this game and it will be probably the only way to play when they will "balance" maps

• Johnny_XMan
    Johnny_XMan Member Posts: 6,430
    edited November 2019

I just have one question for the people who keep bringing up the "This is an Asymetrical game"...

Do ALL Asymetrical games follow the same rules? Because I consider Friday the 13th an Asymetrical game as well, and in that game you always know where Jason is, you also have weapons to fight back...both of which according to some in these forums lose the whole "horror-asymetrical" aspect, which I disagree with.

Playing solo survivor is a nightmare as it is, not because it's fun or because it's a "horror" experience... and the very least they could do if they aren't going to add things like chase indicators is buff perks like Kindred. Add optional voice chat for the lobby sessions, I wanna know what my team is bringing without having to type it all. Those two alone would help tremendously.

This isn't just a horror game, it's also a survival game.

• justarandy

Sooo, when luigis mansion gets "officially" called a horror game it's a horror game?

• TeambossFloze

Short answer - yes

Will it be called a horror game? no it wont be. Is DBD called an asymmetrical horror game? yes.

Don't really see your point tbh

• TeambossFloze

@darktrix The point being, on a this thread discussing a subjective thing such as 'horror' is not a good justification point for explaining the solo disadvantage. They are still both games and both sides want a fair shake at winning.

I think the horror aspect actual is something that gives good justification why they don't just crutch everyone with perks so they can feel less sorry for themselves. The horror aspect is to create a feeling of despair, disruption and confusion on behalf of the survivor and the killers role is the opposite.

I disagree that everyone knows where Jason is in Friday 13th - You do when he is close but other than that you don't (same as DBD)

I do like the idea of having a few short commands like "follow me" or "help"

• TeambossFloze

@DudeDelicious 100% correct !

• DwightOP
    DwightOP Member Posts: 2,328

We really need this