Please note: Although we may stop by occasionally, this is not a developer Q&A.
The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Requirements to complete the rift

This has probably already been stated somewhere, but what are the necessities to max the Rift? Can we do it just by completing all tome challenges? Or is there a minimum number of games also?

Answers

• TragicSolitude
    TragicSolitude Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 7,136

Completing the tome challenges will only get you about halfway through The Rift, I think. You definitely still need to earn Rift Fragments via XP to complete it.

• Ahardie
    Ahardie Member Posts: 69
    edited November 2019

Well feggles. And it's 800 xp for a single shard.....remind me again how this is 'balanced'? Because unless my math is wonky that's about 350 matches to get those 35 levels.

• TragicSolitude

And with ten shards to complete one tier on the Rift? It's not. I've been playing for over 5 1/2 hours today, killer matches with about 500 XP per match, and I haven't finished a single tier on the Rift. They did not design this to be fun.

• Ahardie

Yeah, doing some math, it's 800 xp to a shard, and you earn roughly 500 xp a game. so 1.6 matches per shard, times ten per tier to make it 16 games a tier, 35 remaining levels, so it's actually worse, you need another 560 matches. Devs, #########?

• Ahardie

I mean, perhaps I'm being a little unfair. We have 65 days left so ten or so matches a day may work but still.

• Revansith
    Revansith Member Posts: 367

You can also buy a tier for 100 cells. I admit to buying the battle pass, and using the refunded auric cells to buy out three tiers. I am not proud I did it, but the option is there.

I used a more conservative 400 exp per match, that's 2 matches for one fragment, or 20 for a tier.

So you can do 20 matches or pay a dollar.

• Ahardie

Definitely not double paying, it seems a little daft, though maybe i'm also being a little unreasonable. it's another 65 days, soooo...…..12 matches a day?

• Deadeye
    Deadeye Member Posts: 3,627
    edited November 2019

There is another thread that calculates what needs to be done. Ideally (which is not possible) you would need to play one hour per day in average to achieve the whole rift. Assuming that you finish all challenges during that time. More realistic with current queue times and spending bloodpoints from time to time it is more like two hours per day.

From the notes, you have one week to finish tome 1, two weeks for tome 2 up to 4 weeks for tome 4. The challenges get harder, so you progress slower through them, but you also got more time to do them before the next tome is opened or the rift is over.

Basically, you need to do 1 rift tier per day. 70 tiers, 70 days. But as the challenges get harder, you might to try to get some buffer before it comes to the hard challenges. It is not really that hard to achieve.

I played a bit more than normal this first archives week, and reached tier 20. According to the patch notes, it contains progress from 18th October. I started at tier 6 when archives got activated and am now on tier 20. So I had about 6 tiers in 12 days without challenges, 14 tiers in 6 days with challenges and a bit more gametime. Looks achievable.

And I think it should not be designed around casual players. If everyone could achieve it, the core gamers would finish a tier 70 rift in like one week, waiting 9 weeks for new stuff. And since it is just about cosmetics, it should not be such a big problem. The challenges stay active after the rift closes, so you won't miss the bloodpoints and fluff, just the cosmetics.

• TragicSolitude

Each Tome level is spaced at least two weeks apart. Tome level 2 will be released on Nov 13, level 3 will be released on Nov 27, and level 4 will be released Dec 18. The Rift will close on Jan 8. That gives two and a half weeks to complete Tome level 4, which is going to be a lot more difficult that the previous tomes.

The dates on their Welcome to the Archives page https://deadbydaylight.com/en/news/welcome-to-the-archives haven't been updated to accommodate for the Archives/Rift being released late. The dates are corrected in their in-game News.

On that Welcome page, it says "Our goal for our first Tome and Rift is to base our completion targets on the average daily play time of 1 hour/user, provided by our internal data. Given this, completion of The Rift and all its rewards should take roughly 70 to 80 hours of gameplay, provided players accomplish Challenges from each role." However, it took me six hours of playing killer today, getting about 500 XP for each match, to acquire 10 Rift fragments. That's 6 hours to get one tier on their 70 tier Rift. That's ridiculous. Even hardcore players will have trouble with that, much less one-hour-per-day average players. Which is who they say they've based this around.

• Deadeye
    Deadeye Member Posts: 3,627

@TragicSolitude Ok I missed the updated dates. But that is still 3 weeks each for tome 3 and tome 4. You can spend more than a day for each challenge in tome 4. Sure they are hard, and at least two of them seem ridiculously unfair like 3 unhooks in EGC and complete 4 gens in a single trial. These are actually bulls...

But the 6 hours for one rift you refer to is just talking about the XP. You gain progress finishing the challenges during that time as well. As I said, with normal gameplay I did apparently half a tier per day, without challenge progress.

The only thing that is broken is the queue times. Like said in the big calculations thread, you can't finish the rift with 1 hour per day, because you need 1 hour of XP gaining per day. That means, every minute a game lasts longer than 10 minutes (that' where you don't get more XP anymore) and the waiting time and everything around it, comes on top.

But that's why I said, more realistic is 2 hours per day. I have to search which thread it was, or search yourself, if you are interested in the details. But 2 hours a day is enough to get the rift done. If you manage to finish all the challenges in that time.

• TragicSolitude
    edited November 2019

Personally, I (like probably many other people) travel in December. I probably won't get to touch tome level 4 before the Rift closes, so because they release the tome levels so far apart, I have to finish the Rift without the final challenges and a few weeks short of 70 days. Yay.

Releasing the final tome challenges mid-December is a terrible way to do it. The holidays are a busy time for a lot of people, and a lot of people travel for them.

• HatCreature
    HatCreature Member Posts: 3,298

According to the numbers here the average is 500XP so if they decreased the amount of XP to 500 then that would be 1 Fragment per game and if you can get 10 games in an hour that would be 1 Tier per hours which would actually be the 70 hours they stated it would take to complete the Rift.

We have all stated here that playing for more than 1 hour has not gotten at least 1 Tier and I have been on Tier 19 all day and I've been playing most of the day; almost done though.

• Micheal_Myers
    Micheal_Myers Member Posts: 1,147

So... I did calculations based on my rank/skill.

So, all 4 of the tome levels will get you to at least 60 (if they are a mix of 3 and 5 fragments)

But that's all I got.

• TragicSolitude

Yeah, 800 XP per Rift Fragment for a total of 8k XP per Rift tier is way too much. It took me 6 hours this morning to complete 1 tier on the Rift just doing killer matches averaging around 500 XP per match. This evening, it took me 4 hours and 15 minutes to complete 1 tier on the Rift. That was with the Daily Killer and Survivor matches' bonus XP, and all other matches were killer matches probably averaging around 550 XP.

This is not reasonable.

• se05239
    se05239 Member Posts: 3,919

Making it fun doesn't increase revenue, sadly. How else are they supposed to tempt people into buying the last tiers they need to complete the Rift?

• TragicSolitude

Making it not fun could decrease revenue, though. If players get burnt out on the game trying to complete the Rift, they're not going to buy more tiers or future Battlepasses or future DLC... they're going to quit playing. I'm already starting to feel that and I'm only at tier 21. It's over a week before new challenges will be posted to freshen up the gameplay, again. That's pretty poorly thought out.

• se05239
    se05239 Member Posts: 3,919

Considering I've already seen youtubers fork out 70 euro to buy the entire ######### Rift already, it'd be a net-negative to making it fun now. There's more profit in fishing for whales than catering to dolphins.

• Ahardie

I dunno, Sea World makes a lot of money at far less effort.

• Ahardie

Either way, everyone go forth! Complain to the devs, but civil-like please. This isn't quite the end of the world.

• Charlisse
    Charlisse Member Posts: 45

Do you have to pay to go past lvl 25 in the rift? I've been stuck on lvl 25 for a while now. I keep getting 800xp at least 10 times and I haven't gotten to tier 26 yet.

• Charlisse

Does anyone know?

• Revansith

It seems to me it might behove survivors to at least tell the rest of the team if they are questing. It avoids three players fighting over one objective while the killer looks on in amazement wondering why they are not running away.

• Charlisse

Frustrating. =/

• satanwuvsyou
    satanwuvsyou Member Posts: 32

Definitely regret buying the premium for my little flower charm, I don't think I can work full time, then some part time, then try and work full time on DBD to complete a rift. They make this a slog to get money. That's how I feel :/ If they're saying 1 hour of PLAYTIME is enough per day, you have to take into account that youre getting that 10-15m of playtime between a 2-5m queue for survivor, or 10-40m queue for killer.

• xZeroStrike
    xZeroStrike Member Posts: 133

I mean, it sounds difficult but then there are people who are already on tier 20 something. You've already gotten 1/4th of the progress you need and the Rift's time hasn't even passed 1/7th of its lifetime yet?

You really can't complain if you've achieved those numbers, iirc.

• Ahardie

I'll confess I've been a bit dumb, we're still getting xp nd thus fragments WHILST doing the challenges.

• FireHazard
    FireHazard Member Posts: 7,314

@Ahardie

There is no minimum number of games to max the rifts tier lists, and no you don't have to complete every tome to max it out.

You'll eventually get to tier 70 within the 65 days left that're provided... (Of course if you play casually or just semi-regularly... The Rift rewards the consistency.

Also, the reason I say there is no minimum number of games is because i'm going off of how all players play and how some matches end longer or shorter... its entirely unknown who would be done with The Rift because of this...

If it's 800 EXP perk map, and you average idk... 300 EXP a match? that's... 3 ish matches to get 1 shard, and it's about 15 or 10 to get one tier depending on where you're on that tier? And we don't even know if the higher tiers require more shards... which i'm assuming they do.

So... yeah... I wouldn't think too much into this.

• ZephyAlurus
    ZephyAlurus Member Posts: 11

Youtubers are going to buy them regardless of whether it's fun or not. They just want the stuff immediately and to show their viewers. If they really cared about whether it's fun or not, they'd play for like tier 20 and then buy the rest, but if they buy it instantly, they would've done so even if it was easier.

There's definitely a minimum number of games you need to do, but it's hard to figure that out. Right now I'm at tier 13 and I've JUST finished Tome 1 so I'm assuming each tome gives the same amount or slightly less or more. Even that is just tier 52 for 13 x 4. You definitely need to play extra games even after completing the tomes and even more if you can't finish them.

• Ahardie

Just got to aim for one rank a day, should be manageable

• projecteulogy
    projecteulogy Member Posts: 671

Ive completed about 50 games and i'm only on tier 11 because I don't enjoy playing killer. At all.

Then, since I have a real life, being able to get to tier 47 in just a few more days of the event is literally impossible. Unless we will be able to earn Sirum after the event expires(the rift closes in 61 days, the even ends in 2[?]).... I have no reason at all to even attempt to complete it. The cosmetics are mostly junk and can be bought in the shop. So that being said, I will not be purchasing anything premium. If you can play so much that you can get through all of that in the small window of time then you're a legend.

Cosmetics get you tunneled most of the time anyway. I'd rather take No Mither as my only perk lol

• TragicSolitude

The serum is on the Rift until the Rift closes. It's not going away.

• projecteulogy

So you can continue to get the serum after the events done? I dont remember reading that but that makes it a little better. It also goes against all previous events where once its done you have 2ish weeks to spend it.

Do you have to do the killer events in the rift to open the 2nd page? I see people talking about the third page objectives being insanely hard. But i cannot access the 2nd page yet.

• Revansith

I assume the tomes are progressive. The next Tome is scheduled to unlock on November 13. At that time I will see if I can access any of the challenges as I have reached the final node on Tome 1 following the survivor path.

• TragicSolitude

Each level of the Tome is time-gated. Level 2 will unlock Nov 13. Level 3 will unlock Nov 27. Level 4 will unlock Dec 18. I don't think you need to complete the challenges on the previous level to work on the next level.

• xZeroStrike
    xZeroStrike Member Posts: 133

As @TragicSolitude said, the serum is tied to the rift, not the event. Only the offerings and the event hooks / generators will be removed when the event ends.

You not wanting to play killer is on you. It's fine if you don't like it, but don't expect the devs to change the way something works because you refuse to play the other half of the game.

• projecteulogy

Oh ok i missed the Nov 13th unlock, i only saw Nov 27th. Cool.

Not the point of anything i said. If it requires you to play a specific role to complete the battle pass then its not worth it.

The same can be said to the devs from the player. Don't expect me to change my play style so you can get money off me. I won't pay for the premium battle pass if i HAVE to play killer. You want to, that's on you.