The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

2 weeks gap is way too long for releases of Tome levels

I know archives are just been introduced. But from the first Tome experience and seeing Level 4 challenges, I can suggest a change for releases.of Tome levels

Either they should unlock altogether. The ones who complete first, get to progress to next, and so on. That way everyone can complete at their own pace.

I don't really see the point of putting a time stamp to start of the levels, but if they are gonna be time based, levels could be released one week apart from each other. instead of 2 weeks. That should give plenty of time for level4 challenges till the rift closes.

Comments

• Rydog
    Rydog Member Posts: 3,275

On one hand, I think it's a little bit wonky that there's a delay at all, since four Tome levels with 22 challenges each would be plenty to keep a lot of players busy for a while. I'm hoping that this is how future Tomes will drop, and that they just hedged with a staggered release for this one in order to iron out any big issues (like those unreasonable level 4 challenges that have surfaced already).

On the other hand, this is a "damned if they do, damned if they don't" scenario. If it were only a week's delay, or they had dropped everything at once, we'd still see people complaining, because they burned through all of it really quickly.

In any case, I suspect the vast majority of players haven't completed level 1 of the tome yet. Remember that all the hardcore players on this forum are not remotely a reflection of the overall DBD player base, as we tend toward the extreme ends.

• Milo
    Milo Member Posts: 7,383
    edited November 2019

I think if they somehow were able to put more challenges in that 2 week gap it wouldn't be that bad.

EDIT: Or more time consuming but more rewarding ones

• Rydog
    Rydog Member Posts: 3,275

Hmmmmm, it might be nice if daily rituals awarded Rift fragments.

• antgnstea
    antgnstea Member Posts: 869

I feel like whatever they do its gonna be "damned if they do, damned if they don't" scenario. I can see your concern about rushing, and majority may not be hardcore gamer, but I also believe there are many players who already finished the first level.

Yes they can't design content for hardcores only, but they shouldn't wait for the casual players. either. With releasing all of them at once, which all belong to same Tome, should give everyone all the time they need within the same rift.

• TragicSolitude
    TragicSolitude Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 7,136
    edited November 2019

You'd still have the same amount of time to complete them. There'd actually be less pressure, because tome level 4 will have the hardest challenges but it only has three weeks in which those challenges can be completed for Rift progress. But level one, having been released first, has ten weeks. Level 3 will have six weeks.

• antgnstea

Sorry I am not making the connection. Why? Are you feeling compelled to do every challenge in one day? You can have as much as life outside the game, everyone does, that's why I am suggesting we should be able to complete the challenges at our own pace, by the time rift closes.

Actually I find this 2 weeks apart releases more restricting, since they only give you 2 weeks or so to complete last level.

Let's say I have a week off, why shouldn't I take that time to complete as many challenges as possible instead of waiting and loosing my free time on something else?

• White_Owl
    White_Owl Member Posts: 3,786

They said they don't want people to burn out completing all the tomes in no time. It's also a strategy to keep steady the playerbase during content droughts.

• antgnstea

We clearly have different perspective. I can't really see what is the difference if you complete them in two weeks, some completed in a day or some completed in a month? You are left behind at what exactly? There is no competitive advantage here. The rewards are just cosmetics. And blood points always be earned one way or another. If you play once game in a day, you still continue earning that. Why feel pressure? I really can't understand sorry.

• TragicSolitude
    TragicSolitude Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 7,136
    edited November 2019

I guess that's good for you. It's terrible for me, because I travel in December. Level 4 will be released after I've left, so I probably won't get to touch it before the Rift closes. That's an entire level of challenges I won't be able to do to help me with the Rift, on top of not being able to earn Rift Fragments via XP during that time, either.

I doubt I'm the only person who travels for the holidays. This time-gating screws a lot of people. If it were all released at once or within a week of each other, people could do it at their leisure whenever they have free time. Instead, there are people who will be unable to do some of them at all either because they travel/are busy or because the level 4 challenges are extremely difficult and three weeks won't give them enough time.

• ASurvkillivorer
    ASurvkillivorer Member Posts: 1,840

The only reason there is a delay is to make finishing the challenges less likely. Thats it. Therefore less auric cells earned by us and higher chance we spend real money on the pass again and or cosmetics. How anyone could be glad is beyond me? Have some self control and don't force yourself to play the game solely to unlock the tracks.

The funny thing is you still level without the challenges but at a painfully slow pace. However, you will still need to level this slow way EITHER way because the challenges themselves won't be enough to reach max level. So the delay really IS pointless.

• antgnstea

That, I could understand. Keeping a steady playerbase could be a reason. I still wish they gave a chance at least to try it out for a rift season.

• AvengerBear
    AvengerBear Member Posts: 100

How would you be pressured if they unlocked all tomes at once? Just how? If you cant finish all tomes in 70 days when there's no time restriction between tomes, you would have even less chance completing all tomes in the current time restricted system. Unlocking all tomes at once wouldn't affect you in the slightest . Right now the tomes are gated at 2 weeks apart, if you finish 1 within 2 weeks, the rest of your precious free time in those 2 weeks are wasted cuz you cant go to the 2nd tome. But if they unlocked all tomes in one day, everyone could do them at their own pace, let it be finishing all 4 in one day or finishing 1 in 70 days, everyone can be happy.

I honestly don't see the pressure here. It's not like you would get less time to complete; you'd still have 70 days to complete all tomes, nothing would change other than giving people more freedom on when they wanna finish the tomes. where do you get the pressure from? And just how exactly would you be left behind if the time restriction was lifted? I just can't understand your logic.

Unless, you meant if you can't get all tomes finished, we better have a time restriction on it, so people who have a bit more time than you also can't finish, and only the teenagers with all the time in the world can finish, so you don't feel being left out as much.

• ZephyAlurus
    ZephyAlurus Member Posts: 11

I feel like another extra bad side effect for breaking up the tomes is that too many people will be on the same quests. If they were on different quests then maybe someone will be after chests and someone needs unhooks and more people will co-operate with their teammates. If you gate it and then release it later on, everyone will need unhooks and people will just fight for them and it won't be a fun time for anyone.

If you want to avoid ppl getting burnt out, at least make the gap into 1 week so there's still a good amount of time for people to get ready for holiday, have different quests, and keep themselves entertained at the start. The closer people are to the end of the track, the more likely they'll want to buy the last few steps if they're missing them with only a day or two left. If they're really far because they got really bored of grinding for rifts in between the 2 weeks and didn't end up completing the last tome because there's not enough time, it will be hard to want to buy levels while feeling like they got cheated because there isn't enough time for that person.

• PistolTimb
    PistolTimb Member Posts: 1,413

I agree 100%. I've pretty much stopped playing since I finished the first level. 1 week apart would leave you with plenty of objectives and plenty of time to do them. That way you're not forced to play killer when you want to play survivor or vice versa.