The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

What is everyone's opinion on players who play a certain way solely to get angry messages back?

AshleyWB
AshleyWB Member Posts: 4,061

I just faced a trapper who facecamped everyone including me after being hooked. He was playing really dirty and had terrible lag so it was impossible to not get hit.

I messaged him "do you have fun playing in such a cheap way?" Then he replies "omg you can't handle Trapper lolol your team sucks too, I love ur salt"

I'm just like, how would anyone in the right mind enjoy playing solely to stir up trouble by playing unnecessarily being a poopnugget.

My question is...Do you ever call out people who's only goal is to frustrate and do everything to make others have a horrible time? Whether it's a dirty Survivor or killer. I just think they need to know that playing for a reaction is low.

Comments

• Thecoolestguy
    Thecoolestguy Member Posts: 30

I'm an inheritly trolly person (I try to never take it too far) in video games so I don't have an opinion on people like that.

That being said it's hilarious when I run a meme build like no mither and second wind and get hate mail.

• InfinyMage
    InfinyMage Member Posts: 236
    edited November 2019

While i dont play to get salt. I truly do love salt messages. its a game and while you could be forgetting your frustration by doing anything else you went and vented to the last possible person who is going to make said frustration any better.

And calling someone out for dirty tactics or even toxicity by messaging them is again a waste of time for said same reasons. They know what they were doing. You only made them feel better about it by sending them salt.

• TheShape78
    TheShape78 Member Posts: 712
    edited November 2019

Those people are called "trolls", but I would take it a step further. Anyone who sets out to ruin someone else's day, or experience is nothing but a bully. In this case, a "digital bully". It takes a truly low person to do such a thing. I believe their toxicity is a reflection/result of their own lives being...let's just say, subpar. In other words, I'd say it's a release for them. It is best to ignore them, as they are trying to get that oh so satisfying angry reaction out of you. It is their reward, so you must not give it to them. Reacting to them is like pouring gas on a fire expecting to put it out, it just doesn't work.

• AshleyWB

I wouldn't say asking for a reason behind their behaviour is salt. They say it's salt just to get salt out of you.

• InfinyMage
    InfinyMage Member Posts: 236

Even by asking them why they do this, or that, or the other. They feel like theyve gotten a rise out of you. It could have been an honest question. But if they are playing obviously to frustrate someone then any message regardless of what its content is, will be taken as salt to the person who was trying to trigger any kind of reaction.

Its the satisfaction in knowing you took time. Even just a few seconds to write something as a result of their behavior.

• TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 12,871

There is a reason the saying commonly goes "Don't feed the troll."

• FancyMrB
    FancyMrB Member Posts: 1,250

Playing with the sole purpose of making someone miserable is not good. Sadly trolling makes some people happy and the best thing to do is just walk away.

I would also like to point out that as a killer apparently everything you do is trash and you are purposely destroying everyone's experience. Play a clean game? Trash! camp? Trash! Tunnel, slug, run NoED? Trash! Killers get a ton of hate messages and you either learn to ignore them, or find some humor in them... which is I guess what the Trapper guy has done.

And from what the killer responded with I don't think they were playing for salt, just trying to get you riled up...

• DeKillerKiller
    DeKillerKiller Member Posts: 547

Best way to handle these sorts of people is to just say gg with a smile :)

Usually that infuriates them more than they will infuriate you.

• OGOzSnowChimp
    OGOzSnowChimp Member Posts: 247

That guy was a Trapper after my own heart. Good on him for finding a game he can enjoy. Best of luck to you avoiding players like him in the future.

• Bleediss
    Bleediss Member Posts: 130

People are free to play how they want, although, I think many ways of playing are quite pathetic and a waste of energy.

For example, I was playing Spirit on the swamp map, and was slugging one person so I could find a Blendette and kill her off as well, since I genuinely don't like playing vs people who wear clothing to be immersed for 5 minutes doing nothing.

It took a while, but I finally found her, and then before I could hook her she DC'd.

Post-game chat she said "haha i dc'd on purpose so you couldn't hook me."

I didn't really care that she DC'd and made that obvious, but she kept thinking I cared and I guess that's just how she plays the game; wanting to do stuff that they think will irritate the killer, when to me it's their loss cause they get no BP and derank.

I face killers like this as well, faced a Myers who ran NOED and facecamped people first hook.

Post-game chat says "get wrecked SWF, got one of your buddies."

All of us were solo survivors who just happened to play well together, but hey some killers are convinced any team that's good must be a toxic SWF and that they have to play toxic as well to get revenge or something, idunno, quite sad, though.

• StarMoral
    StarMoral Member Posts: 938

My opinion summed up in one word:

"Unemployment"

• Rin_is_my_waifu
    Rin_is_my_waifu Member Posts: 963

Bruh, salty messages is the best thing in this game. I have yet to play a game that is more toxic than DBD

• OmegaXII
    OmegaXII Member Posts: 2,189

Maybe they just having a bad match against trolling SWF before?

Last time i had a really bad match with rank 1 SWF while i'm learning nurse (before nerf, and i was green rank). They had done everything you can imagine to be annoying. So in next match i play gen grabbing spirit, hitting them on hook and mori them all

I was a long time ago, but i still feel bad for them, so since that i don't do that anymore

• Kasaki
    Kasaki Member Posts: 155

I know this is bad but the only time I ever send messages are after the other side is trying to BM and gets wrecked I say "GG well played" and the shitstorm comes rolling in insulting every facet about me and my life lol

• bigbeefynacho
    bigbeefynacho Member Posts: 351

TBH, You should stop feeding the troll with pointless messages and just move on to the next match.

• White_Owl
    White_Owl Member Posts: 3,786

Imo if you have fun making other people miserable you're a sociopath and shouldn't play games.

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 16,046

They are dicks. If people are playing like that, I dont say anything in Postgame Chat, because they want to read that.

LIke, I vsed an Indisious Bubba with an Ebony during the last Double-BP event (before the most recent one) which Name was "Screw your Double BPs". Obviously he wants to create this salt, so no reason to give it to him.

• Eihposta
    Eihposta Member Posts: 6

I can get very salty but I never throw my salt towards people xD

• indieeden7
    indieeden7 Member Posts: 3,366

I never understood why people want to play a game just to ruin other people's experience, it's stupid.

• oxygen
    oxygen Member Posts: 3,308

If people get mad at how you play that's one thing. If you specifically play to make people mad I personally find it pathetic.

Obviously never call them out or engage with them in any way unless you want to just drop a gg and leave regardless of what happened as anything else is just giving them what they want. Yet to see it in DBD as I don't stick around in the lobby and there's no way for people to comment anywhere on my profile, but in other games I've seen similar people absolutely lose it when no one takes the bait and just GGs and moves on 😄.

• Kill them with kindness

• ASAPTurtle
    ASAPTurtle Member Posts: 968

Stuff like that should be bannable honestly.

• darkki
    darkki Member Posts: 35

If you were 4 swf with flashlights and stuff you can expect that kind of attitude towards you, just saying some killers get bullied to much and just join the dark side. No one likes being t-baged and blinded into oblivion.

• AshleyWB

I just think I've talked people into seeing sense for what it is that they are doing. I try not to insult but I always try to make the culprit show some empathy towards those who had to put up with the toxicity. A lot of the time the people doing it don't understand what it's like to be on the other side.

• indieeden7
    indieeden7 Member Posts: 3,366

Where in this post does it mention anything about toxic SWF groups?

• darkki
    darkki Member Posts: 35

I'm just saying that some killers start behaving this way because they were bullied.

• Dwight_Fairfield
    Dwight_Fairfield Member Posts: 6,888

Anyone who plays a certain way with the intention to anger people is a troll. Plain and simple.

• Grandkurama
    Grandkurama Member Posts: 314

Just reply to anyone salty over you "ok"

• Volfawott
    Volfawott Member Posts: 3,893

Don't message them.

If you feed the troll don't be surprised if they keep the behaviour up.

It's annoying but move on to you next match

• oxygen
    oxygen Member Posts: 3,308

Playing dirty back against people playing dirty against you is one thing, taking it out on other players with no relation to the original offenders makes no sense whatsoever.

But I am well aware it's a pretty common thing in the community though. Someone gets tunneled, so they whip out the haddonfield offering + balanced landing next game. Someone gets annoyed as killer, so it's ebony mori iri head huntress or something next game. Doesn't really help anyone in the long run but I guess it's not going anywhere.

• TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 12,871

Part of the reason I play Agitation/Iron Grasp/Mad Grit is under the hopes of getting angry messages from people wrongly accusing me of cheating. :P

• FrenziedRoach
    FrenziedRoach Member Posts: 2,600

I'll tell you the same thing my dad told me when I was a youngin'

People bully you to get a reaction to you. When you stop reacting, they get bored and leave.

He was right.

The way you stop the trolls is to stop feeding them. So stop feeding the damn trolls already.

• xZeroStrike
    xZeroStrike Member Posts: 133

I ignore them most of the time and secretly hope their console / PC explodes so that there's one less of them on the internet.