Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

Change how ranking and matchmaking works

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 5,229
edited November 2019 in Feedback and Suggestions

These rank resets make me hate the game, make me want to never play it again.

The matchmaking is unfair in general most of the time, but after rank resets I get nothing but SWF groups of like players with 2000+ hours and spend most of their days in red ranks- and I can't do ANYTHING.

The game is not even playable the skill difference is so huge, how is this supposed to be enjoyable?

I'm forced into just having to tunnel or camp in order to make back the bloodpoints the match cost me; since if I play any other way I can't even down a survivor the entire match- that is how stacked these matches are.

Seriously, they talk about changing Spirit because they are not fun to play against, but this is far far worse; how is this not even on the table for discussion it's mind boggling. This problem literally killed one of my other favorite games, because no one new would play it so as older players trickled out the player base slowly declined until it died off.

Also, to stress this again because this always is the argument I get and it's nonsense: I don't care if I lose, or if I don't get a kill every match, I am talking about not being able to do ANYTHING; I can't even down and hook one survivor because they run me around, body block me, use specific combinations of perks, etc... so I can never even do that. Just about every match in a row, they have like 3 or 4 gens done before I land my first hit on a survivor. I just want to be able to play matches that feel fair, if I lose some I lose some, if I get a few kills or a 4K once in a blue moon that is great- but if I am just going to be a punching bag against teams I have no chance against, every single time because of a poor matchmaker and ranking system; then why keep playing at all?

The biggest issue is that I see tons of people have issues with this, and a lot of new players quit because of it- yet anytime they try and talk about it I see the community get nasty and mean to them, most of those folks are probably red rank survivors and killers that enjoy just steamrolling people too...

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Comments

• RainbowPatooie
    RainbowPatooie Member Posts: 322

Matchmaking has been pretty bad as of lately. I keep getting put against baby survivors/killers.

• blackx2
    blackx2 Member Posts: 56

You are not obligated to reach rank 1 everytime, and after sometime it won't matters at all.

Folks who are stable there, they have their reasons.

• Storml0rd
    Storml0rd Member Posts: 18

One of the main problems with rank is that it's too easy for the players to manipulate it. If they like grouping in SWF and bullying lower ranked killers, they can do so fairly easily by throwing some games. It's much harder to rank up intentionally - that takes both skill and dedication, which are largely out of the players' control - this depends on too many variables, and it can still be affected by RNG to a large extent.

I wonder whether it might be better to make rank a ratcheting system - you can rank up based on play, but cannot rank down. The players who are trying to get better and enjoy themselves will gradually find their level and maintain it. The higher-level players will bubble up to the higher levels and stay with players of their skill. The only ways to bypass the system would be to create a new account and play badly intentionally, which I imagine would get tired quickly. This of course, would require rank reset to go away. Maybe it could be based off of playtime per month instead? Players with a lot of hours would go down fewer ranks than those who could only play sporadically. This could be another way around the downranking, but it would require the downrankers to drastically reduce their hours. They could get around this by having multiple accounts, but that's a lot of effort and, potentially, money, and if it means that much to them, then maybe that's the price.

Anyway - just a thought. Thanks for reading!

🌩️

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,229
    edited November 2019

I could care less about what rank I am, I just want to play fun and evenly skilled matches.

I'm probably one of them, it's a real example of the problems.

This is a good example of the problem, it leads to being a punching bag for people who have played this game way longer and have way more experience and practice at it than I do; is frustrating and makes no sense.

Honestly I am one more match of getting teabagged as all four, never even hooked survivors taunt me at the exit gate matches away from just uninstalling the game for good. I have similar problems as survivor though it is not as frustrating since when you do bad you just die and go to another game, as killer you are stuck there being useless and getting teabagged. I was angry but that was when I started playing, since then it's just turned into disappointment, and now it's going into boredom because if it feels like there is no point in trying, it isn't much of a game anymore.

The devs don't seem to care at all about how unfun all this has made their game, and I think that is what bothers me the most, the lack of interest or passion in their own title. It's such an amazing idea for a game, but the fundamentals of fair play are sorely lacking, and that is just disappointing- I want this game to be the best it can be because there isn't anything else quite like it.... to see it struggle with the essential basics is disheartening.

• blackx2
    blackx2 Member Posts: 56

Its complicated to balance, because folks with 2000+++ hours, can play this game without looking at screen, exceptional reaction times and know a lot about mindgames.

But, I don't think dbd have a large playbase, enough to make somekind of ranking hour based system.

At higher ranks, be prepared to be humiliated by both sides (surv/killers).

• There are ways to work on these issues without affecting queue times much, if at all. So player count shouldn't be an issue; there are multiple methods that have been proven by many studios with larger and smaller player bases alike.

I've seen worse too though to be fair, games like Evolve actually had a worse matchmaker than DBD has.