We have temporarily disabled Firecrackers and the Flashbang Perk due to a bug which could cause the Killer's game to crash. These will be re-enabled in an upcoming patch when the issue is resolved.

Did the math on the Rift...

500 EXP per match on average, 800 EXP per Rift Fragment, 10 Rift Fragments per level 8000 EXP per Rift Tier = 16 matches per Tier. 70 total tiers x roughly 16 matches per tier = About 1120 matches to go from Rift Tier 1 to Rift Tier 70 Tome Level 1: 93 Total possible fragments (9.3 Tiers) Tome Level 4: 85 Total possible fragments. (8.5 Tiers) Assuming Tome Levels 2 & 3 also give a similar amount of Fragments: About an average of 88.5 Fragments per Tome Level 88.5 x4 = 354. So, again assuming Tome Levels 2 and 3 give a similar amount of fragments, completing ever tome challenge will net you 35.4 Tiers worth of Rift progress. 70 Tiers -35 = 35. So doing every challenge completes only half the rift.

TLDR: This means you still need to play about 560 matches to complete the rift, even if you actually complete EVERY single challenge.

The Rift closes in 68 days from now, so you would have to play about 8 matches a day, every single day.

So unless Tome Levels 2 & 3 give way, way, way more Rift Fragments than Tome Levels 1 & 4, you still need to do an absurd amount of grinding to complete the Rift.

Remember when they said they wanted the Rift to be completeable by average players? Lmao. Guess that was a lie, nobody is gonna finish this without paying unless they are a total addict.

Comments

• LapisInfernalis
    LapisInfernalis Member Posts: 4,209

So let's see what my chances are then. Because I'm quite the dbd addict (2k hrs in 13 months).

• Mr_K
    Mr_K Member Posts: 9,189

Its only 100 cells per level if the grind is too much for you.

😉

• TheGhostFaceMain
    TheGhostFaceMain Member Posts: 58

Well if this is true and it probably is this means I won't be buying a pass again after this one, seeing that I can on average play 3 hour a day during the week so 15 hours and maybe 16 over the weekend. That means it leaves me with 25 hours I did not play and that is if I can actually complete the challenges. So I am happy that the cosmetics I'll want I'll have to wait 6 months after the rift. Thank you BHVR!

• Cancan71
    Cancan71 Member Posts: 709
    edited November 2019

You're forgetting the 600 exp you earn from playing killer and survivor every day.

35 tiers = 280000 exp

600 × 70 = 42000 exp

280000 - 42000 = 238000 exp

Assuming 500 exp every match

238000 ÷ 500 = 476 matches

476 ÷ 70 = 6.8 matches a day

Tell me if I'm wrong in my calculations, just wanted to clarify this before misinformation spreads.

EDIT:

If a match is 10 min

6.8 × 10 = 68 min

• yandere777
    yandere777 Member Posts: 728

But don't forget about all these challenges being done while playing games. 8 games a day you could get 4 or 5 killer or survivor challenges done in that session. 8 games is only like an hour and some so it's not too demanding. If someone paid for the rift, they fullwell commited to the grind. Also don't forget about the daily first game exp. Some challenges also require multiple games, which means more exp in games. The rift is far from unachievable in my opinion. Also i don't think it's fair to assume that the later tomes will reward the same as the first 2. Especially the 4th one.

• Fibijean
    Fibijean Member Posts: 8,342
    edited November 2019

You seem not to be taking into account that you will be earning Rift Fragments through XP while you are completing challenges.

According to the devs' internal data, the average player apparently plays 1 hour a day. They originally estimated that it would take 70-80 hours to complete, therefore being completable by the average player in the 70 days allotted.

Speaking of maths on the Rift, I also did the maths based on my own experience so far. I have played about 18 hours since the patch released, completing the first Tome, and have ascended 12 tiers in the Rift. So my estimate would be a generous 120-130 hours to complete the full Rift, which is about 1.5 - 2 hours every day. Less, if you have "bonus tiers" from playing in the week or so prior to the patch release (I started at tier 5, for example). According to the devs' data, therefore, it will not be completable by the average player, but by the slightly-above-average player. Which is still not ridiculously out of reach, and in my opinion is as it should be.

• Gibberish
    Gibberish Member Posts: 1,062

That doesnt change the amount of matches needed mate, it just means you do the challenges simultanously as the matches.

Its still 8-ish matches a day, every day.

• Cancan71
    Cancan71 Member Posts: 709

But you forgot the bonus exp from playing survivor or killer for the first time every day. It's actually 6.8 matches.

• Fibijean

Which, as I pointed out, is apparently only slightly above the playtime of the average player. It's nowhere near as absurdly unobtainable as you're suggesting.

• Gibberish
    Gibberish Member Posts: 1,062

How is 6-8 matches a day, every day, for more than 60 days not absurd? People have jobs, school and other resposibilities. Nobody's got time for that unless they have no life.

• Fibijean

Well, according to the devs' internal statistics, roughly 50% of Dead By Daylight players have no life, then. I don't have access to the stats, I'm just assuming they're correct because there's no reason not to. I didn't make them up. Don't shoot the messenger.

• twistedmonkey
    twistedmonkey Member Posts: 4,291
    edited November 2019

Your match breaks it down alot better and it seems more reasonable.

There are a couple of other factors we do have to consider though.

Queue times. Killer right now can be long but that's probably alot to do with the duo's but day it's and average of 5 mins overall wait it adds another 35 mins to the time.

There are perk challenges. Those who don't have the perk have to grind to get it first which adds to the rift for exp but stalls the rift progress for that role. Then if it's a dlc perk they either have to buy it and then grind to get it or grind shards to buy it off the shrine and then grind to get it.

Personally I think perks which are in the challenges should be auto unlocked to use on any character when you activate the challenge. It would remove the problem above.

Atm from what we know at average we are looking at around 1h30m to 2 hours a day which is 50% to 100% more time from what the devs originally sought out to achive and that's not including the challenges which some will take multiple games to complete.

My main concern isn't the grind for challenges tbh but how it will change the way people play ignoring certain things which makes it worse for those just wanting to play the game. It also encourages survivors killing themelves once their challenge is done to move onto another one quicker.

I could also see some using challenges as another toxic means just to screw over others. If someone sees the other side doing one they will go out of their way to make it difficult. I don't think it's a good idea to change the way people play in a pvp game when it affects all the others in the match. These challanges should be done through natural play which encourages playing normally but hard to achieve as they go on.

Instead of just one objective and idea is to make them multiple.

Some examples some for the easy challenges.

Break 1 totem and make 1 safe save.

Finish 2 gens and make 2 safe saves.

Finish 1 gen, break 1 totem and make 1 safe save.

Hook all 2 survivors and damage 2 gens.

Hook all 4 survivors and break 4 pallets.

Hook 2 survivors, break 2 pallets, damage 2 gens.

Post edited by twistedmonkey on
  • se05239
    se05239 Member Posts: 3,919

Of course they do, otherwise they'd not have an option to buy tiers.

• CrowFoxy
    CrowFoxy Member Posts: 1,310

You really trust bhvr this much? They have lied about so much, including a "slight tweak" to Nurse, stating they wanted to re-add the lunar event flashlight saves, saying "Legion is fine."...you should not be super into this "data" they don't listen to our feedback at all.

• Jed
    Jed Member Posts: 254
    edited November 2019

Wow they seriously said that!?!?🤭

If so then 🤮

• Boosted_Dwight
    Boosted_Dwight Member Posts: 3,059
    edited November 2019

I guess I have to delete all of my responsibilities just so I can make it to tier 40 :l

• Raccoon
    Raccoon Member Posts: 7,703

We'll all be able to see how long it actually takes as things pan out.

If there's no feasible way for me to complete it / the devs provided dishonest/inaccurate estimates, it will directly impact my level of support for the game going forward.

*24/7 AFK Wraithing intensifies*

• underlord99
    underlord99 Member Posts: 1,030

The real question is why do we get so little XP for playing a single match??

• CrowFoxy
    CrowFoxy Member Posts: 1,310

Mobile players can get up to 1k because it's emblem based. They literally have a better system than we do.

• HookedonDemand
    HookedonDemand Member Posts: 181

This sounds depressing, considering that you assume all challenges to be done, but I only play survivor. 😭

• SilentSpectre
    SilentSpectre Member Posts: 830

:(

• TragicSolitude
    TragicSolitude Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 7,251

It takes me 4 to 6 hours to complete one tier on the Rift (taking into account the +600 total daily bonus and depending on queue times and XP per match). So, let's average that into 5 hours. Then, the challenges will provide 350 Rift Fragments, so 35 tiers on the Rift. That leaves another 35 tiers to get through XP if I can complete all the challenges; if not, then I have to earn more Fragments through XP. I'll be earning Rifts Fragments through XP and completing challenges at the same time.

So, 35 tiers to get, 5 hours per tier, it becomes at least 2.5 hours per day. That's with good queue times, all challenges completed, and taking the daily bonus into account. That's two and a half times more than what the devs said it would take.

Most people can't play every day. One day missed means 2.5 hours that have to be made up on other days. If someone can only play on weekends, then that's 17.5 hours of play time each weekend to stay on track.

Me, I travel in December, so I have fewer days in which to complete the Rift, and I probably won't be able to even attempt the level 4 challenges before the Rift closes. Doing the math, it'll take me over 4 hours a day of playing to unlock all the tiers. I look forward to the complete and total burnout of attempting to complete the Rift. No, wait, I'm kinda already feeling that as I just camp my Ruin totem with Leatherface, lengthening matches with minimal effort to farm XP. I can't tell if the survivors prefer memeing over afking or not; I guess it depends on whether or not they like playing with Ruin active all match.

• Francery
    Francery Member Posts: 6

Am I missing something? I have school, work on the weekends, a girlfriend which means I don't go directly from school to my house and by only completing the tier 1 challenges and playing normally I'm almost at half the Rift... How's that impossible?

• Bravescorpio
    Bravescorpio Member Posts: 152

Its fully possible. People are just entitled and whiny. Not everyone is meant to get all of the rift rewards. They are for the dedicated. If you must have the cosmetics you can buy levels.

The rewards give people something to work towards no matter how much they play. Some people will get to the top level and be bored long before the rift closes, and they'll be rewarded.

If you just play casually then no, you probably won't finish the rift. That's freaking life. Deal with it. They gave you the option to buy levels, at least you have options.

• PolarBear
    PolarBear Member Posts: 1,899

Well, this'll just make me not buy the rift at all.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• The_Second_Coming
    The_Second_Coming Member Posts: 1,110

This must be the same data that told them it was okay to release the 3.4 patch with broken basement hooks. 😂