The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Free Exclusives = Isolating Loyal Players

Before I start, I personally have not been greatly affected by the developer's decisions to open many of the in-game exclusives up to the whole playerbase as I only have a few of them. However, I would argue there are so many flaws with making this decision, with many of their justifications seemingly contradicting each other. Although I believe it is a nice gesture to those joining the game who never had the chance to grab these exclusives and to those on console, it is a complete slap in the face for many of the loyal players who have gotten these exclusives.

As a company, their duty is to protect their customers from any scams or dubious schemes in relation to their own product. Of course it's not just on their part, there is also a responsibility of the customer their self. However, ultimately BHVR is in control of how their codes/products are distributed and I would argue that they have failed at trying to put a stop to these shady dealings. Their main reasoning behind this decision is to put an end to the "black market" of DBD. What vexes me is that they have done this THREE years after some of the release dates of the exclusives. Many of these codes no longer exist and the damage of scams has already been done. Why did they not simply release them around the introduction of the store? BHVR has been aware of these black markets for years yet are only choosing NOW to take some action. My answer: because their choice to do this is simply business and profit orientated. They are satisfying 60% - give or take - of the current active playerbase who will happily take free cosmetics. Yet, by doing this, they are enraging many of the loyal fans of the game who have earned or come by these cosmetics in one way or another (e.g. competitions - many of these codes were given to players who participated in art competitions, attending PAX, purchasing them etc.).

Additionally, I believe they are STILL failing to put a complete end to the DBD black market. I have the Bloodletting shirt which was obtainable through purchasing an item from the DBD store before a certain time period. I find that there is a certain hypocrisy with the developer's logic in not releasing this exclusive too. There are still codes for this shirt being sold on the black market. There will still be accounts sold so people can get their hands on legacy. There is still the potential to sell Hype Nea and Ohmwrecker Wraith cosmetics. You are still failing to prevent the immoral selling of these codes. The justification for keeping Bloodletting exclusive is that the player had to purchase something whereas, for example, Golden Feng was simply a free cosmetic code for those who attended PAX, used to draw players into their new game. In a hypothetical scenario, someone may have spent good money on going to PAX simply to visit the DBD stall and get the exclusive - just because it was a freebie for attending it, it does not mean the player did not spend a lot of money to get it.

On the other hand, event exclusives in the game are another topic of discussion. Although some of these events never made it to console, it does not justify why these are being released to everyone, especially on PC. I can understand for console players, even with the code exclusives, however, the PC version of the game embodies the history of DBD as a game and players (like myself) who have been there from the start and EARNED these cosmetics in what was advertised as a 'limited event' have been marginalised by the developers. They are simply dismissing something that was earned at a specific point in DBD history - they are effectively meaningless now. Many people use these cosmetics to demonstrate how long they have had their account and simply taking these away from them with no form of compensation is unjust to those who have stayed loyal and supported a team of developers that are now straying away from their original fans and focusing on their influx of new players.

My solution to this: give those with existing exclusives a slightly different version. This retains the exclusivity of the original yet still allows newer players to enjoy the general look of the cosmetic. The difference does not need to be enormous (think Legacy Championship Riven from LoL which was identical except for a crown). At the very least, make all the free exclusives common cosmetics while those who got them before their release get to keep them at ultra-rare rarity. The loyal players of this game need to be compensated in some shape or form. It does not need to be anything huge but simply dismissing the loyalty of certain fans and their cosmetics is shameful on BHVR's part. They should never have made the decision to make exclusives - that was a poor business decision and, unfortunately, it is the players most loyal to them that are now being affected because of their idiocy.

Side note: I don't know for sure if this is true but apparently all of the Rift's items will eventually be available next year. If this is not the case, then BHVR are still releasing exclusives to the game (e.g. the final reward of the premium Rift pass). Additionally, they recently released an exclusive on the Switch version of the game for The Trapper which is, again, hypocritical to their supposed aims of including ALL platforms.

TL;DR - BHVR have done their most loyal fans a disservice, are still failing to put an end to the DBD black market and show little care for those who have earned event exclusives.

Comments

• Aurelionunu
    Aurelionunu Member Posts: 16

I agree with you that its completely unfair that people who resell these codes are selling them at such high prices. My main problem is how long BHVR left this issue for. Most of these codes have now already been sold at extortionate prices. I don't agree that they've left exclusives for three years and are only now finally doing something about them. I'm also confused that their main aim is to stop people selling them for such high prices yet it's still going to occur with other cosmetic exclusives like Bloodletting, Ohmwrecker etc.

• SunderMun
    SunderMun Member Posts: 2,789
    edited November 2019

It's annoying the others aren't available, but people will be entitled and annoyed these ones are available to all anyway.

I actually wasn't aware of these ones or the dodgy deals related to them.

• Aurelionunu

Its nothing to do with other people. As a business, their decision has an impact on myself and everyone else involved. If I want to voice how I feel about their decision, I will. If a company created a loyalty scheme which was exclusive for those who had put the time and effort into their business, would it then be fair that after years, this was simply handed freely to everyone?

• WARW0LF
    WARW0LF Member Posts: 200

its total bullshit, their crappy code caused people to lose the items now this is their fix for it, its lazy and embarrassing

• SunderMun
    SunderMun Member Posts: 2,789

People still aren't getting their legacy back, so it can't be a fix for that.

Plus this is going to all platforms; some didn't exist back then.

• GodDamn_Angela
    GodDamn_Angela Member Posts: 2,213
    1. "This has nothing to do with other people. Its about the fact that BHVR is giving the cosmetics to other people." lmao
    2. This kind of thing happens all the time.

• prettyf
    prettyf Member Posts: 442

im the one who getting, but you don't even care about losing exclusive value

your words sounds like sacrifice for greater good or something

• Aurelionunu

Honestly, I wish I could take this view because it's so wholesome but there's just something that makes me feel disappointed with their justifications for it. I feel bad for the small minority who have got the exclusives already and just feel like BHVR have forgotten about them in some ways.

• ProfoundEnding
    ProfoundEnding Member Posts: 2,334
    edited November 2019

Legacy does not include a code so no it will not be sold by someone online. They also connot put out the streamer cosmetics because it was agreed in their contract they would remain exclusive to that streamer and anyone they give it to. Regardless, I don't believe I've ever seen any of the streamer cosmetics being sold online. If there are any, they're few and far between.

Post edited by ProfoundEnding on
  • altruistic
    altruistic Member Posts: 1,141

The only value pixels have in a game are what you give them.

• jeyers
    jeyers Member Posts: 275

Loyal to what ?

A company ?

A brand ?

Come on.

• Johnny_XMan
    Johnny_XMan Member Posts: 6,428

As much as it sucks for those people who bought skins through a black market, you can’t expect BHVR to control how those people use their wallet.

Personally I feel that as a company they are doing the right thing especially since now some of those prices have gone from a small amount to an insane amount price tag-wise.

• prettyf

lol tell my sold bitcoin and unusuals or csgo skins again

so you saying worthless? hey dude, idk how you old but thats "always" apply on anything

even my mother's value is what i give

is in your region are you outsmart other people enough?

• altruistic
    altruistic Member Posts: 1,141

Okay I am trying to decipher your google translate, but I am struggling.

BitCoin can be used to purchase items, it is a CURRENCY. It is not a digital pixel in a video game.

CS GO Skins are no different, people paying scalped prices for pixels in a game is a problem in every community.

I have most of the cosmetics, and I really could care less. It doesn’t bother me one bit.

• John_Doe
    John_Doe Member Posts: 236

I bought brownies for £2 last week and now they're being sold in another shop 2 for £3 I'm outraged that's a slap in the face to me the loyal customer imo.

• prettyf

i think same but much less dramatic because i don't have those but i love game skins so understood part of it

• prettyf

but loyal...kinda wired word he picked thats make me laugh

• MathiaStef
    MathiaStef Member Posts: 132

Here is the thing though unless they are giving something super exclusive real world item it really doesn't matter the legacy staying only those who got it I can agree with because it was a pain to level back then but everything else doesn't really matter

• spiritfury
    spiritfury Member Posts: 6

They said no more platform exclusives period. I play this game since release on ps4 that makes me and thousand others " loyal players " and we deserve just as anyone else some kind of recognition and we got it, I have earned all event cosmetics and I dont mind them giving it away free to other people to make them happy and play the game more if you want exclusives go in store spend hundreds of dollars and get uniqe outfits those ARE exclusives you paid to support the dev and have uniqe items the exclusives you are refering to are free for all gift from devs that said, legacy and streamers cosmetics will remain locked for real og players as it should be, now be happy that devs made others happy and stop whining with posts like this.

• jeyers
    jeyers Member Posts: 275

Companies dont have loyalty, they have owners and shareholders who wants to make money off you.

You dont like what a company is doing ? Dont give them your money then.

• prettyf

worthy or not devs doesn't respecting any participated people of thier offline or online events

so still theres problem they didn't cared even a bit about those people

i wonder are you really ok, this is objectively wrong situation even i get benefit or not

• Squoose
    Squoose Member Posts: 60

How can people sit there and think this is a valid argument. This has nothing to do with what anyone is saying. This is personal to the people that are being screwed over by this decision on bhvr's end.

• Squoose

Wow! an analogy that doesn't apply here!! incredible job! How about if you bought those brownies and suddenly everyone in the town you're in suddenly received all of the brownies... for free! Now there's one that works :)

• Squoose

Hey look it's this guy again! valid point as per usual!

• Endstille
    Endstille Member Posts: 2,246

Are you just fishing for easy upvotes or what is that issue with you? I really wonder why you have to go into every thread concerning with these exclusive cosmetics and tell people how they should feel about it. Saying no issue, no problem nobody should care and yet there you are in every thread about it. How is it so hard for you to simply let people have their say and how they feel about it. Oof

• Aurelionunu

I agree with you - I think they should be released on console because they have never had the chance to get these exclusives. Most of what I've said is directed at PC, not consoles. Perhaps I should have made that clearer. Regardless, it may make newer players happy who, ultimately, are the majority nowadays, but it has disappointed a lot of the older players because of the reasons I've mentioned above.

• BlueFang
    BlueFang Member Posts: 1,379

You will not take my Chuckles mask from me!

• DelsKibara
    DelsKibara Member Posts: 3,127

I will say this as someone who owns a Chuckles mask from a giveaway.

Why is it such a huge issue? Like genuinely, other than "loyalty" or "I was there for the event" or "I paid for it"

How is giving everyone exclusive cosmetics a bad thing? Surely this is just a good way to get even more loyal players right? Because this shows that the devs want to give something to the community for free.

They could've put it up on the store but they decided to just make it free for everyone with a couple of exceptions that had reasonable excuses as to why it can't be given to everyone.

• TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 12,871

Awesome. Glad to see everyone getting free brownies.

• Hex_BoopTheSnoot
    Hex_BoopTheSnoot Member Posts: 151

I 100% agree. I could see a compromise of making the Ultra Rare cosmetics Rare and giving those away, but otherwise there's no reason to give everyone a bunch of Ultra Rare cosmetics and there's no justify able reason to give away those Event cosmetics.

If I had my way, they'd put them all in the in-game Store.

• silasbleu
    silasbleu Member Posts: 181

Let's be honest if someone spent a good amount of money and/or got scammed buying a code for an outfit in a video game, that's their issue. I'm more worried about how they make it through life 🤷

• gaydavidking
    gaydavidking Member Posts: 158

It may not seem fair to the people that "worked hard", and by worked hard I mean played a video game for a few hours, but what about the people that didn't have the time to put in for the events? What about the people who didn't even start playing until after the event?

It might not be a big deal that you couldn't earn these exclusive cosmetics right away if the events ever actually returned, but to be a new player and be told that there are certain cosmetics you can NEVER earn or buy simply because you missed an event or weren't playing back then? Now that doesn't seem fair to me.

• Bravo0413
    Bravo0413 Member Posts: 3,647

The players that dont have the time or were not playing the game at the time or just recently started playing the game should not be worried about them if that's the case.... a player who does not have the time to play a video game obviously has more important stuff going on and therefore shouldn't concern themselves with exclusives.... samething goes for the noobies, intact what they should be asking the devs is when are the next set coming in so I can have a chance at earning my own exclusive....

This is much more logical then "I want what that person earned, even though I wasnt here for it" people are not entitled to stuff that other people earned.

• AkiTheKitten
    AkiTheKitten Member Posts: 670

Why should they take responsibility for your actions? They're being nice enough to give them away, it's not their fault you wasted money on it. If you went to a convention for a skin, you need a priority check, same with wasting over $800 on a skin

• John_Doe

Would you believe me if I said I wouldn't care? Just like I don't care that people are getting pixels for free that I've had for 2 years

• John_Doe

They'll make it through life by complaining online and trying to blame someone else for their dumb decisions.

• Swiftblade131
    Swiftblade131 Member Posts: 2,050
    edited November 2019

We are in communist Russia comrade.

What's yours is now ours!

Even though I never did anything to try to obtain the items. Seems fair.

This discussion has been closed.