Please note: Although we may stop by occasionally, this is not a developer Q&A.
The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

What would be causing a killer/survivor simultaneous DC?

Hey guys, just wondering is someone can lend some insight into an issue I've encountered, more so in terms of curiosity instead of expecting a fix. I've played a couple matches where everyone is playing the game as they should be and all of a sudden the match ends, only to find that both the killer and I have have been disconnected. The other 3 survivors keep their points whereas I've lost all progress and items. The thing that is frustrating is that it's the killer hosting and I don't know why I have dc'd along with them.

This has happened about 3 times in the past 2 days. This isn't a type of disconnect I've seen before.

Answers

• Fibijean
    Fibijean Member Posts: 8,342

I'd have to check to be sure, but I think that's what happens when you disconnect due to connection issues. It displays the killer as having disconnected as well because they're the host of the server you've disconnected from.

• HexBeingNice
    HexBeingNice Member Posts: 10

Would that still be the case even if the killer also received no points at the end?

I'm having trouble imagining what connection issues those would be since my inet connection appeared to be functioning perfectly the whole time before, during, and after. Unless a single hiccup happened and then connection was immediately re-established. Also, wouldn't that just make me disconnect and the match go on?

• Fibijean

If that is what happened, then yes, it would show the killer as having received no points because that's what it does when a player "disconnects".

DBD isn't always the best at re-establishing connection, so sometimes a small hiccup can eject you from the match. And yes, if that happened, the match would have just gone on, but you wouldn't be able to spectate it or anything.

An important detail is whether all 4 survivors appeared in the endgame screen, or just you. That might give us a clue as to whether the game really ended or not.

As I said, I can't really verify any of this because you sound like you're playing on console (since you said killer was the host) and I'm on PC with dedicated servers. This is all just going off my own pre-server memories, but connection problem is my best guess as to what happened.

• Paina
    Paina Member Posts: 231

I've had some dc problems yesterday as well, three times. Usually I don't have connection issues, so I thought the killers dc, but they've had no reason, cause the game was almost done for us survivors. What's really weird is the fact that I didn't get any points, but I kept my items??? So when the killers dc on purpose I will get points and keep my items, when I dc even due to connection issues I won't get any points and lose my items, right? So now I'm wondering what happens, when the killer dc DUE TO INTERNET ISSUES? Will you as a survivor still get points or keep your items?

• Fibijean

If the killer DCs for any reason, you should keep your points and items. If you DC due to connection issues (which may appear in the postgame UI as if the killer DCed too, depending on what system you're on) you should keep your points, but the items thing is a bit iffy. It used to be that you kept your items if you DCed due to internet dropping out, but I've had it happen a couple of times recently and lost my items, so I don't really know anymore.

• SunderMun
    SunderMun Member Posts: 2,789

It's one of the DC bugs that has still not been fixed, but has gotten less common.