Random 2 survivor perks - Luck & Totem based

Karaage
Karaage Member Posts: 340

Gambler's Luck

Where others see failure, You see profit. On a failed Repair Skill Check, there is a 30% chance that Generator explosion will be prevented and considered Great Skill Check instead.

Gambler's Luck is affected by Luck; any Luck gain is multiplied 1/2/3 times and added to this perk's activation chance. Multiplied Luck is only used for this perk, all other Luck-based interactions are not affected.

Improvised Tools

You have a knack to use any materials at hand. After cleansing a Totem or sabotaging a Hook, gain 1 Token in every Perk that uses them. This effect can only be triggered once every 30/25/20 seconds.

Comments: TL;DR of perks that would be affected by this: Autodidact (strong), Distortion (useful), Mettle of Man (gamebreaking?), Sole Survivor (if it was the old SS with aura-reading immunity, I'd consider it strong, but now it's ok), Stake Out (meh), We're Gonna Live Forever (very useful).

Comments

• Yung_Slug
    Yung_Slug Member Posts: 2,238

Does Gambler's Luck stack with Technician? Which one activates first?

Perks that effect the Tokens of other perks can't really be balanced because each Token perk is different. Not every perk even has a maximum amount of stacks. This perk also makes stacks so easy to get.

Sole Survivor doesn't have a max amount of Tokens in the description, so you could potentially gain complete immunity to aura reading. Even if it was changed, you could just sabo 3 hooks or cleanse a few totems and you have 72 meters of aura immunity.

Distortion with the ability to get stacks back would be pretty strong, too. It wouldn't be as reliable as Sole Survivor, but you'd also get the benefit of leaving no scratch marks along with unlimited range.

Mettle of Man would be insane with this. The only reason it's not good now is because it's near impossible to activate unless you throw the game.

The fact that this gives a Token to each Token perk you have makes it even more powerful.

• csandman1977
    csandman1977 Member Posts: 2,358

I think having to use a perk slot is a high cost but for the effects it grants would be worth it if not broken.

Maybe have the perk deactivate on being hooked? Or have a limit on number of tokens it can grant? Otherwise i like it

• Karaage

@Yung_Slug

They way I see it, Gambler's Luck and Technician would be activated one after another. They wouldn't stack, like giving 80% protection, but first GL would try to activate with 30% chance, and if it fails then Technician would try activate with 50% chance. Or the other way around.

@Yung_Slug @csandman1977

I do agree gaining Tokens may be little too powerful and I don't realistically see this perk in the game. My idea was to limit its power by giving it cooldown. 30-20 seconds is Quick&Quiet's levels of cooldown, but how about 120-100 seconds and perk starts the trial already on cooldown?

Also, the cost of perk slot is indeed something to take into consideration. The perk itself does nothing, so You'll need to invest at least 2 slots to gain anything from it. That'd leave only two slots for everyone's favourite meta perks like Adrenaline, any exhaustion perk, Self-Care, Borrowed Time, Iron Will etc.

I wanted to create a support only perk similar to Open Handed, that enhances other perks and also give some new purpose to sabotaging, since it's pretty much dead.

• Yung_Slug
    Yung_Slug Member Posts: 2,238

It would be nice for Gambler's Luck to activate first. It would be 65% either way, but if Gambler's went first it would be 30% as opposed to 15%. However, I can't see it being implemented without being awkward. Maybe the explosion just isn't prevented and you'll have to run technician for that?

• SolarFoxVB
    SolarFoxVB Member Posts: 90

From my perspective, I believe Gambler's luck is far too overpowered. All you need to have a 100% chance of a great skill check is 3 people with Up the Ante 3 and Gambler's Luck 2, because 3 Up the Ante 3's is 36% luck, which, multiplied by 2 then added to the 30%, leads to the 100% chance. There would need to be a cap or a change to the perk for this to be okay.

• Karaage

@SolarFoxVB

I think single UTA grants 9% Luck max, so 3 UTAs would be 27%. But 27x3+30=99%, so doesn't make much change. I added luck multiplication mainly because I had no other idea for bonuses You'd gain from gaining higher Tiers of the Perk. Now that I thought about it, adding small cooldown to the perk would work best.

I don't agree with the overpowered tho. Survivors sacrifice 3 Perks slots (UTAs) + 4 Perks slots (GL) just for authentic M1 simulator experience (that is, without even caring about skill checks). That's 7 perks slots that are not Meta perks which Killers don't have to deal with anymore. And I personally don't think that any high ranked Survivors have any problems with hitting skill checks, so what advantage would they gain from sacrifing all these perks slots?

• AnxiousRecord77
    AnxiousRecord77 Member Posts: 12

Mettle of man doesnt actually use tokens it just takes 3 protection hits to activate it so it probably wouldnt actually be affected. Which would probably be the only thing keeping improvised tools from beeing game breaking.

• SolarFoxVB
    SolarFoxVB Member Posts: 90

@Karaage

In my time that I've played DbD, I've found that I only ever keep 2 perks on every build and I have to search for SOMETHING for the other 2. This would fill up that something perfectly if I only wanted to deal with chases (The 2 perks are Adrenaline and Self-Care. I've gotten used to not using exhaustion perks). I think it's just a matter of what teams are willing to do with their perks that might make it a bit op.

And about the UTA amount, I guess my eyes have never focused on the other part of every other survivor in the description.

• NikoHarper
    NikoHarper Member Posts: 34

improvised tool increases the amount of token we can gain? this will be very fun put this with were gonna live forever