The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

How to address camping killers

While a killer meets the requirements for Proximity to the Hook (where there aren’t any survivors within 16m of the hook), all survivors should receive a 100% increase in repair, healing, and mending. This should stack with all other increases (regardless of the increase stating that it doesn’t stack), and all killer debuffs on survivors should be suspended at the same time. There have been many other ideas, including stopping, or slowing the Entities progression, but all of them give feedback to the killer, letting him know if there is a survivor in range of the hook.

This change would not be visible to the killer in any way, and would severely punish the killer for camping. With the current ranking system, we are getting these camping killers in the purple and red ranks now, as it pays for the killer camp. This penalty should ensure that all camping killers will depip, instead of pipping their way to the red ranks.

Comments

• WaffleSSJt
    WaffleSSJt Member Posts: 12

While I think that that's a little much, I agree that there should be a downside to camping or a way to prevent it.

• ZFennecFox
    ZFennecFox Member Posts: 510

Camping is a valid tactic, just like Gen rushing. I personally only camp if the survivor is being a toxic little ball of sunshine. Like Spam messaging me, or teabagging at every pallet. Other than that I'm usually more inclined to hunt another Survivor.

The best thing you can learn is that not everyone has the same mindset as you. You may get a killer that camps one game but one that doesn't the next. The greatest lesson to learn is that if a Killer is camping do a generator don't just walking around looking for an opening.

• Fibijean
    Fibijean Member Posts: 8,342

I feel like this would be pretty open to abuse.

"Hey, you loop the killer around the hook while I do generators. We'll be out of here in no time."

• Venom368
    Venom368 Member Posts: 321

The penalty is that the killer will get less blood points overall, likely not rank up (proximity to hooked survivors gives negative points to your emblem post-game), and not pressuring any generators at all.

This limits the amount of altruism bloodpoints survivors can get, but the survivors will rank up, and the killer will not. The survivor being hooked camped just kinda gets screwed and derank along with not getting bloodpoints, but that's just how it goes. Do them justice for being the sacrifice that gets the rest of the survivors the escape.

The killer will either eventually realize that they would be getting more bloodpoints and/or ranking up faster with a different strategy, or they will remain at low ranks. Every low rank killer I've ever seen camps hook, and you just have to realize that and do gens instead of waiting around the hook doing nothing in hopes to get the save.

If you go in for the save with a camping killer, then either you or your teammate is going to get put back up on that hook. Unless you have BT and can pull some God Tier jukes to not get downed while trying to unhook... But otherwise, you're making the killer think "hey this camping strategy works, look at all the points and hooks i'm getting". If you just let them camp, and finish all the generators, they will eventually learn their lesson that hook camping is not an effective strategy.

If any balance change were to come from this, perhaps an extra bloodpoint scoring event for the survivor being camped on hook that depended on the time and proximity the killer was near the hook you were on.

• SkeletalElite
    SkeletalElite Member Posts: 2,687

The post says it wouldn't work if theres a survivor near the hook

• Revansith
    Revansith Member Posts: 367

Why do all low rank killers camp? If you answer that question then camping will still be a feature like tunneling but not require a major game change to handle.

I am guessing the reason is that low rank killers are not having much success with sacrifices. Too often they get a survivor on the hook, leave to patrol or look for survivors and while they are gone the survivor is unhooked and healed. If they camp the hook they have a sacrifice for sure, but at the same time they do little to slow the progression of generator repairs.

So I have seen copious use of hex ruin and other slow downs.

• Fibijean

You're correct, I misread it and thought it said when the killer was within 16m of the hook. My mistake!

• Milo
    Milo Member Posts: 7,383

To be fair, survivor being near the hooked survivor kinda forces the killer to stay near right?

• Fibijean
    edited November 2019

That was what I thought, yes, which is why I assumed this idea would be abusable. But as it turns out the OP specified that the speed boost would not occur if there were survivors close to the hook, and thus it would only work to punish killers who are genuinely camping and not just defending from nearby survivors.

• projecteulogy
    projecteulogy Member Posts: 671
    edited November 2019

Playing solo = ######### on the hook or DC. Thats the only way. unless you're a BT wielding SWF or another solo took BT so that's auto-legend status.

I personally don't find it enjoyable to be a sweaty bastard. Some do. Camping/Tunneling is like Abortion. Its legit but frowned upon by the majority.

Apparently suiciding is now a bad word. lmao

• Kaelum
    Kaelum Member Posts: 994

That is not camping, as I stated in my post. If there is a survivor within the “proximity” range of the hook, then the killer is not camping. Thus, there is no way to abuse it, only stupid survivors giving the killer more power.

• Fibijean

Yup. That was already pointed out to me, and I admitted my mistake.

• Kaelum
    Kaelum Member Posts: 994

@Fibijean yeah, I saw that later. I read your comment first, so I just responded to it. Anywho, have an AWESOME evening!

• akbays35
    akbays35 Member Posts: 1,123

Have you tried saboing hooks? Killer can't camp/tunnel if all the hooks are sabo'd.