Is meta fun?

Options

I have a simple question, is playing meta realy fun?

I myself like to use different perks for example my survivor build i use plunderersinstinct, ace in the hole, autodidact and unbreakable. For my killer i like perks like mad grit for my legion and bloodwarden for freddy. I use barbecue on some of my killers with traversal powers and ruin only on trapper.

But when i play survivor or killer i mostly see the survivors run a combination of a exhausted perk and iron will, ds, borrowed time, adrenalin etc. and killers barbecue, ruin, enduring, pgtw etc.

Now my question to the survivors and killers runing purly those perks do you run them because you have fun or because you feel the need to use them. I am not juging anyone for runing meta, i am just interestet if it is realy fun to play meta.

Comments

• Mister_xD
    Mister_xD Member Posts: 7,669
    edited December 2019
    Options

meta is strong.

but strong =/= fun.

sometimes, you will find it boring to always rely on the meta stuff and grow tired of it.

or, like me, you prefer a playstyle that in general is not supported by the meta.

i think meta isnt really fun to use, unless you are a tryhard and only escaping counts.

but thats up to decide for everyone on their own.

• Peasant
    Peasant Member Posts: 4,104
    Options

The META is only fun while it is used on casuals, after it's used on other meta users it is just depressing.

When you use the META on people not running the META themselves you have an absurd advantage. This let's you crush your enemies with ease and affords you several mistakes and removes all of the pressure from your role.

When you use the META on other META players the game just becomes a super competitive "Sweaty" match of intense plays where a single error will unmake you.

If you like competitive play, use it all the time. If you like chill games, only use it every third game or so and mix up your builds.

• Peasant
    Peasant Member Posts: 4,104
    Options

@DudeDelicious I gotta ask then, have you ever had Buckle Up be useful?

• TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 12,871
    Options

I think this is the best way to look at it. Some people have fun mixing it up with casual builds and stuff, some people have fun trying their hardest with the best. Both are equally valid IMO.

• Hellbughunter
    Hellbughunter Member Posts: 83
    Options

I fear the meta creates a circle of killers runing meta to combat survivors with meta and viceversa.

• humanbeing1704
    humanbeing1704 Member Posts: 8,800
    Options

The only meta perk I consistently use is borrowed time I find adreanline boring to use

• UlvenDagoth
    UlvenDagoth Member Posts: 3,535
    Options

It's not fun on either side.

• hocrux
    hocrux Member Posts: 212
    Options

Not sure about meta, i don't play daily so when i do i mostly run optimal build for farming

Killers i usually run bbq/pgtw

Survivor: plunders/alert since i only do solo ques

• se05239
    se05239 Member Posts: 3,919
    Options

Meta is strong but often not fun. At least, I don't think so.

• JawsIsTheNextKiller
    JawsIsTheNextKiller Member Posts: 3,354
    edited December 2019
    Options

I recently took Ruin off all my killers. It's so nice not having to look for my totem, worry about what's spot its in and then get stressed when it gets cleansed after 30 seconds.

It feels like I almost have a fifth perk that I can use for any fun thing I want.

• PrettyFaceKate
    PrettyFaceKate Member Posts: 1,776
    Options

Fun is subjective.

• dont_ask_me_again
    dont_ask_me_again Member Posts: 490
    Options

Metas make competing unfun to me. I think opponents not knowing what each other has adds a skill-set to keep an open mind and open strategy on what’s to come.

• Rex_Huin
    Rex_Huin Member Posts: 1,208
    Options

I'm not win at all costs but I don't want to be stomped either.

Times I've tried a fun killer build its mainly the survivors that have had the fun. Wouldn't be so bad but you know what survivors are like - want to rub it in or be waved off at the exit gate.

For killer these days Ill usually run Ruin, PGTW and BBQ for every build and one 'fun' perk which I change out.

• Coriander
    Coriander Member Posts: 1,117
    Options

No, it gets boring fast and there are plenty of 'fun' or at least interesting builds to try. I found use out of Sole Survivor which is nice, and the new No One Left Behind is great.

Try this: Unbreakable, Tenacity, Flip-Flop, Boil Over. Anti-Hook! Requires slug life though.

Sole Survivor on Laurie pairs well with some of these, as well. Killer downs you, sees Obsession brackets. Hmm. Sees Laurie, owner of DS. HMMMM. Killer leaves you on ground and finds another.

Laurie snickers.

• Cymer
    Cymer Member Posts: 946
    Options

As a killer you have a bit more freedom to define your own fun.

You really can play, meme or rp all you want and nobody can stop you.

But as survivor you compete with 3 others, who may have different definition of fun and winning. That's where most of the frustration lies.

If you just play item collector, go in with Plunder's, Ace and a White Ward you can get your value out of the match. To you it's fun and BP wise it's smart. But all the time you "waste" searching chests and 2 perk slots that don't help you survive and/or do gens better hinders other survivors who just want to escape asap.

You may have a blast but in their eyes you ruin their game...

That's DBD...

• Hellbughunter
    Hellbughunter Member Posts: 83
    Options

I think the game is more fun when you can take a loss. I remember playing with friends a few days before the update. Trying to get the 10 escape challenge on the side and spontanias deciding to try to get mettal of man to work. I escaped once the entier evening but god dam i was having a blast.

• BenZ0
    BenZ0 Member Posts: 4,125
    Options

I personally love playing my own perk combinations but luckily or sadly kind of the most of my favorite perks are meta perks without even knowing or before the got meta. Pop, I always LOVED pop, the 30sec was back in the days just really niche, it was hard to pull it off but I loved it and used it often on some fast killers, now its meta oof.

Spirit fury, I love it and it was a long time ago meta, its still strong but not that popular atm. I love BBQ, I use it on almost every killer, not just because of BP, I just love getting rewarded for doing my JOB and hooking survivors and find directly the next to chase. Theres nothing I hate more as killer then just running around without a clue where everyone is.

• SunderMun
    SunderMun Member Posts: 2,789
    Options

I prefer to use more fun/memey builds but vs red rank players you can't really do that, as either role, I find. It does remove a lot of the fun, though.

• SandySushi
    SandySushi Member Posts: 27
    Options

I typically only use 2-3 builds, a healing build, a boldness build (Head-On, Iron Will, Q&Q and Inner Strength: Beautiful loadout) and my No Mither build (NM, DH, Resilience, and Iron Will). I find my Boldness and No Mither build to be the most fun, No Mither being the most interesting to play, though I win more with my Boldness build and winning is extremely fun to me.

Personally, using meta perks ready depends on how you have fun, some want to win, some want to relax, others wanna bully the killer, while another person just wants to survive--Really depends on what kind of playstyle you like :/

• Hoodied
    Hoodied Member Posts: 13,003
    Options

Yeah meta is fun

No Mither, self care, solidarity, and second wind never lets me down

• Darth_Cader
    Darth_Cader Member Posts: 128
    Options

Well some people’s metas are different from a “general consensus” meta.

My survivor build is Spine Chill, Iron Will, Dead Hard, and Small Game.

Now I don’t usually have anxiety but holy ######### Dead By Daylight gets to me every time if I don’t have Small Game because usually when I don’t cleanse every totem, there’s NOED. (Though Dead Hard isn’t really a must I just like it more because 1: I play on PS4 where latency is at its worse and 2: I can extend a chase slightly longer).

But Spine Chill and Iron Will are an absolute must have for me and are my true meta perks that I absolutely don’t want to enter a match without.

However it appears that Killers have a more uniform meta. Like BBQ and Ruin (and if they have Ruin they take Haunted Grounds) and most Killers take these perks. Certainly no BBQ will make the game harder for Killers than opposed to if they did have it.

So it’s kinda a matter of play style and what Killer is chosen.

• Raven014
    Raven014 Member Posts: 4,188
    Options

Metas are effective... but not necessarily fun.

My survivor build is: Plunderer's, Stake Out, Head On, and one random perk of my choice (usually inner strength, but can be Adrenaline, DS, BT or Botany Knowledge). Not the meta. But I find it way more fun, especially since nobody expects it, it gives me the option of new tactics, and it helps with a certain playstyle. It helps with everything... but it has a glaring weakness: That being stealth killers in general.

Killer build: BBQ, Ruin, then two other perks. I run BBQ for the points and info, and Ruin to help with distracting survivors early game. However, I don't rely on them, or rather, I don't want to rely on Ruin. A perk that can be taken down so very easily can have the potential to be powerful... but it's RNG based. I hate that. I'd much rather use DH, but survivors always cleanse it before I can get it to work...

...and that's the main issue I have with all perks:

Too many perks are just weak or useless and not worth it.

• GrootDude
    GrootDude Member Posts: 14,110
    Options

I use three meta perks but not because they’re meta, but because they’re the most effective for me and for me, I do like winning.

• PotEtU
    PotEtU Member Posts: 44
    Options

I like to run non meta builds, sometimes its actually garbage and i fail miserably and sometimes the results are hilarious and sometimes very very effective

• IceCreamPrincess
    IceCreamPrincess Member Posts: 226
    Options

The thing about the "meta" build for survivors, is that theyre very good second chance perks. Some people find there fun in just the basics of the game, the gen doing/killer chasing parts, and these perks really help them do that, and dont just get them dead quickly.

Just because its meta, doesn't mean theyre just slaves to it. Its meta for a reason, and its stupid to make yourself weaker without a reason, just because "harder is funner"

• Alice_pbg
    Alice_pbg Member Posts: 6,556
    Options

Specifically to the ones you asked.

Borrowed time: get me safe unhooks in any situation, great in a pinch. I go a lot for the saves, so it suits my playstyle.

Adrenaline: don't have a better option on that survivor.

Ds: same.

Bbq: bloodpoints. That is all.

Pgtw: my favorite slowdown perk. I use it because I like it, like quick and quiet. (It being strong does help 😂)

Ruin: don't have a better one (killers that got levelled up first suffer a bit...)

I don't use the rest you mentioned.

And as I assume someone already said, some people enjoy playing the meta. Not me personally, but they are around.

Some feel like they have to play meta, but they don't, they just gotta realize it.