So, about gens...

Options
2»

Comments

• KingMyers
    KingMyers Member Posts: 57
    Options

I absolutely doubt on average of your games 3 gens pop before a killer gets even 1 hook, all of that bogus story aside it is nice to see people wanting both sides balanced

• Dpooly
    Dpooly Member Posts: 474
    Options

Just wanted to emphasize/add to my initial idea. Make charms unlockable via challenges in future Archives and have charms such as 'Pro Technician' and 'Expert Botanist' for Survivors give them an according buff and make more Killer Charms do the same for their tasks. Perhaps the Nurse Horse gives a slight speed bonus to the Killer and the Eyes emit an Aura to the owner or something. I feel the charms are ludicrously pointless right now and should do something besides make hips and hooks look fancy. There is potential there👍

• Seanzu
    Seanzu Member Posts: 7,526
    Options
  • anarchy753
    anarchy753 Member Posts: 4,212
    Options

Personally I'd like to see gen times increased, like up to 2 minutes for one gen, BUT for each generator completed, subsequent gens go 10 seconds faster.

That would slow down the game substantially at the crucial early stages, and reward working together on one gen at a time over 3 gens which would all be maximally penalised.

However, getting down to the 3 gen situation you wouldn't be at a disadvantage compared to now.

Obviously the numbers could be tweaked, maybe make the last gen faster than now for instance.

• Dpooly
    Dpooly Member Posts: 474
    Options

No, I'm saying put them in the free part of Archives or maybe attainable with shards. In my previous post I thought it was rhetorical to acknowledge any actual purchases with cash. I just think since they added these charms, maybe make them DO something.

• Piwatte
    Piwatte Member Posts: 162
    edited December 2019
    Options

They should do something different, survivors should have an other real objectivr. Or increase time to repair generators like you said. (Until they found a new objective to do for the survivors)

But, they should also rework ruins. A game with or without ruins is totally different. Removing the penalty regression would be a great Idea if they increase time to do a generator.

Idea for a rework of ruins : Have a skill check every 8/6/4 seconds ? (Only good skill check, excellent skill checks can't be done. But they should do something. After 3 years, it's time to do something. We all know why ruins is in the game. A perk shouldn't be so overpowered.

Yeah I know, we can destroy the totem. Is it fun to find a totem in all the map ? No. It's boring to play survivor : M1 simulator / searching ruins simulator. I only like to play survivor to be chased and help the others.

• Kenshin
    Kenshin Member Posts: 912
    edited December 2019
    Options

im not talking about matches against potato survivor where i can 4k with bubba all day long. im talking about the sweaty red rank swf matches where you can only play the strongest killers and still have to lose. it doesnt matter how long the average game length is when the game can be finished in under 4-5 minutes by decent ppl. a good game balance their game for high ranks and not potatos for a reason.

• shadesofjoe
    shadesofjoe Member Posts: 19
    Options

I think the speed at which a survivor repairs a generator should be tied to their rank. If you're a red rank survivor, you contribute less charges per second to the overall repair than a purple or green rank survivor, etc. This would have the natural effect of increasing generator repair times for full groups of red ranks while not punishing lower-level players who are trying to rank up. In fact, it would provide a nice, linear experience for improvement at the game. As you get better, things take more time--which consequently makes matches a little harder.

This also solves the problem of trying to balance changes to gen repair speeds for lower ranks. By tying the repair speed to the rank of the survivor and not the generator itself, you aren't inherently making the game harder for lower ranks, who naturally tend to struggle more against killers. By receiving no speed penalty (or a marginal one as they progress from brown to yellow) they still have the chance for a competitive match against the killer, even if they aren't the most optimal with looping and chases.

• theArashi
    theArashi Member Posts: 998
    Options

Opting out won't ever happen as most killers will just get fed up with premades and instead have casual games.

What I meant with comeback mechanics is rather artificial way to extend the game that go down too quickly. Killer would still be able to win or lose as would survivors.

On the other hand I would love to see balance introduced for both sides while keeping the competitive aspect of it without gamebreaking things. Of course that is subjective but seeing just unhooked survivor run into the locker is very immersion breaking just like getting instantly moried after getting farmed by teammates or just teabagging the hatch in front of the killer if you have a key because there is actually 0 counterplay included.

• MrVecetti
    MrVecetti Member Posts: 41
    Options
  • Nobsyde
    Nobsyde Member Posts: 1,288
    Options

@theArashi

Opting out won't ever happen as most killers will just get fed up with premades and instead have casual games.

..so?

• theArashi
    Options
  • Nobsyde
    Options

Yes, there would be the point to not play against swf.

• theArashi
    Options

Game main appeal is playing with friends. If you can't do it then game is dead.

That would never happen and devs already said that multiple times.

• sir_pookychan
    sir_pookychan Member Posts: 16
    Options

I think we should just remove the toolbox ability to affect gen repair speed. Have them only for sabotage except with am item like a BNP which instead of its current ability unlocks the ability to increase repair speed with toolboxes.

• Deadeye
    Deadeye Member Posts: 3,627
    edited December 2019
    Options

@theArashi the video is probably not the best example. The killer took 90 seconds to finish the first chase, didn't protect the second gen he could DEFINITELY hear and did not even return to it after the down. And you don't see if the killer was camping (as you can see he was tunneling, eating the DS almost on purpose) which would support gen rush as well.

@Troman I think gen rush, except for a whole team using speed buffs with perks and items, is not really plannable. The main problem on early gens popping is, that you can't control the whole map. Survivors can spawn directly beneath gens. Survivors can choose to not tap the first gen they see and wait until you got past it. So the killer has to pass by within 80 seconds later again, to protect that gen, including searching the whole map and most likely getting into a chase somewhere. And if you combine the cases, you might have all survivors work on gens before the first one gets found. It is totally random, of course. But it is always possible that you have a bad chase and 3 gens are finished after the first down, if the survivor chased does not run into gens being worked on. Or at least, finish the first chase in time, find another one and finish that chase as well. Still possible that at least two or even two and a half gens are done before your second hook. As I said, not plannable, but always possible.

I would also like to test a version where team play is supported, not slowed down, or solo play is slowed down and team play stays the same. @Huntar @Inacurate I like the belt idea also. I once had the idea that the killer should be able to manipulate certain gens, so the survivors need to find special parts to repair, before they can go on with that gen. At first that seemed to go too much direction "Friday the 13th" game where you need to find stuff spread over the map but could be combined with that belt idea, so the gen is protected for some time, until the belt drops.

@ThatMetal1 the 5% base regression on kicks would be nice, that also is kind of counter to the salty "I tap the gen dude! Wanna kick it again dude? We can run this forever dude!"

@Johnny_XMan I'd say as soon as the ultra altruistic survivors stop camping and swarming the hooks for the insta unhooks. If ever anyone talked about hook rushing, it can just be about survivor initiated snowball scenarios.

@Piwatte Sounds like the whole game is no fun to you, no matter how gens are supposed to be finished. If you say you have fun in chases and help others, just go for the killer and chase, letting the others do the totem/gen stuff, right?

@theArashi "If you can't do SWF the game is dead" Pretty quit death sentence here. SWF came with patch 1.0.3. But I also would never +1 on removing this, and it will not happen

• thrawn3054
    thrawn3054 Member Posts: 5,897
    Options

They'd have to rework nearly all the addons, and toolboxes would become basically useless.

• ArrowTheGreat11
    ArrowTheGreat11 Member Posts: 306
    Options

If you want to reduce gen speed then all killers would have to be nerfed. Killer mains are always thinking in SWF but never realize how hard it is for solo players. I can’t tell you how many games I’ve been in where 5 gens were left despite no ruin because everyone wants to urban evasion to the corner of the map when they hear a heartbeat.....in red ranks....................

• thrawn3054
    Options

Uhh I'm a survivor main. I suggested this to try to balance things out for lower tier killers. The example you gave is an outlier. You can't balance around rank 1 everyone playing perfectly. Just as you can't balance around everyone being potatoes. You have to find aa happy a median as possible.

• Nobsyde
    Options

if no players play killer because of swf the game would die either way, though.

In any case it's a slippery slope, you don't know how many killers would opt-out, I don't know the current killer retention rate.

What I can observe is that my games are instantaneous as killer, while as survivor I have to wait 5-10 minutes. Rank 1 on both. This tells me something on the current state of the game.

• KuromiStarwind
    KuromiStarwind Member Posts: 325
    Options

Exactly, they should be able to find a middle ground, though at the end of the day most games balance around the best players, and the potatoes? Well it doesn't really matter, since top tier balance won't affect them much. You can't not balance the game because "That wouldn't be fair to bad players and rank 15s!" Any more than you can say "That wouldn't be fair to solo players"

It's kind of like someone who is too strong making excuses for why you can't nerf them, simply because, while it would be totally justified, it's "not fair" to x group.

• MeatBycicle
    MeatBycicle Member Posts: 756
    Options

Also the fact that you call both of those perks "Crutches" leads me to believe that you can't run a killer, and you are one of those survivors that won't touch a gen until Ruin is destroyed. Nice try though.

• ArrowTheGreat11
    ArrowTheGreat11 Member Posts: 306
    Options

Just buff lower tier killers rather than affecting gen speed, cause all killers are going to do is play with A tier killers and 4K every game because no one can do generators since they take longer

• thrawn3054
    Options

I think you're overestimating the damage being 20% slower on a gen would do. If they decide to not bother with looking for a toolbox it would take 16 seconds more. The idea is to slow down the early game by just a bit.

As a side note. I've suggested multiple buffs for lower tier killers. I'd argue for those buffs and this.

• brocktree
    brocktree Member Posts: 37
    Options

I run killer just fine, never rank one by any stretch but not terrible. And I still get 4ks. They are absolutely crutches, just as much as self care. The fact that you cant or won't see that is not really my problem

• brocktree
    Options

I play both pretty regularly, but thanks for playing

• brocktree
    Options

I'm sorry the perk that automatically gives you extra points for doing what you're supposed to try to do and automatically let's you see survivors nearly anywhere on the map isn't a crutch? Run rancor, at least then there is a balance if you have to run a "I can see you" perk

• brocktree
    Options

Yes but lockers aren't in every square inch of the map, and now you have iron maiden since legion to counter that anyway. My point isn't that there is no counterplay, but there isn't much and there is no downside to that perk. You already are getting a leg up with the hook, now you get extra points and free information unless people have been able to find a locker

• Atrushan88
    Atrushan88 Member Posts: 2,084
    edited December 2019
    Options

I thought of reducing repair times further for multiple people on a gen while making single generator repair speed slightly faster to compensate. Several people are on one gen during the game at many points in the game, and I actually feel gens fly the fastest when that's the case even as killer. I don't usually see 3 gens pop at the same time(I have before, but usually I'll go around keeping pressure on multiple gens where that doesn't happen), but when there's that one team who all pile up on one gen I have to look for that 1/8 gen that they're working on and if I don't find it in time it pops super quick even without Prove Thyself. Or if I'm chasing a survivor, they can get that one gen done super quick because I'm not there to pressure them.

Slowing repair speed for single gens and having gen speeds faster with multiple people is also an option, but that brings the case where you have to find one generator out of 8 that's likely to pop before you get anyone. Then you get someone in a chase and the other 3 are on a new gen. Discordance wouldn't just be meta, it'd be necessary.

• BoneFish
    BoneFish Member Posts: 12
    Options

Why the hell should a perk have a downside? What's the downside of running Decisive or any of the other myriad of survivor perks?

If you 4k consistently without running Ruin then you're playing against potatoes, even if Ruin lasts 30 seconds, it's a big deal; and with BBQ, you get some free information that's far away from your hook, big whoop, it's helpful but the fact that you think it's a crutch is beyond ridiculous.

I've been rank 1 killer every season I've played and I am saying objectively that you don't know what you're talking about. Against your rank I could probably 4K without any perks, does that mean all perks are crutches now?

Stop using anecdotal examples, it's not a good look.

• thrawn3054
    Options
  • brocktree
    Options

Fine, but for all people's complaint about balance, there is none on bbq

• brocktree
    Options

Decisive strike only works when you have been hooked, and if you have been picked up again shortly after that unhook has happened. You can't use it at all unless you have taken a step down. Same thing with a number of good survivor perks including self care even.

• MeatBycicle
    MeatBycicle Member Posts: 756
    Options

I meant as in when playing survivor you don't know how to loop a killer. Also not reaching red ranks does really make your argument weak. You are playing against much less skilled people, obviously getting 4k's is incredibly easy purple and below.