Iridescent Head either needs a nerf or a huge tell

Comments

• Sluzzy
    Sluzzy Member Posts: 3,130

No changes. I think Ultra Rares should have little to no downside. The reduction of so many hatchets are almost too much, requiring another addon. It's way too ez to dodge a long throw hatchet making the addon useless if you did that. All your recent killers, including the nurse rework have the worst ultra rares in the game. Their downside is so great that I would never use them and I would put them on par with a brown addon. Killer addons need buffing not nerfing.

• NuclearBurrito
    NuclearBurrito Member Posts: 6,807

Super amazing addons for either side is always a bad thing.

Both Killers and Survivors have a finite power budget, and going outside of that power budget makes that thing OP and unfun to play against.

Since a Killer is both his/her power combined with whatever addons they bring, that means that the base kit combined with the addons need to be within the power budget, as a direct consequence of this the base kit needs to be weaker than it could be so that addons don't make them OP. More importantly the stronger the addons the weaker the base kit has to be in order to compensate.

This is how you get addon dependent Killers like Trapper, Legion or Leatherface.

And if you ignore this and give the Killer strong addons anyway then when those addons are taken the game breaks.

This is how you get things like old Prayer Beads Spirit or old Instant Heal Squads.

TLDR: Strong Killers imply weak addons by necessity in order to maintain balance. Thus you want a Killers addons to always be as weak as possible.

Freddy is a great example of this in action. His addons are meh, yet he himself is a great Killer that doesn't need addons anyway.

• Peanits
    Peanits Dev, Community Manager Posts: 7,523

Food for thought, but she's also missing an ultra rare and a very rare. You could add some of those as add-ons without replacing one another. I think refunding successful hatchets would make a great very rare.

• NuclearBurrito

It would.

I was thinking either a Very Rare with a downside or limitation (such as a cooldown) or an Ultra Rare with neither of those.

• Hoodied
    Hoodied Member Posts: 13,019

I remember that post

It would also help with the skilled huntress achievement

• ruler33
    ruler33 Member Posts: 244

if i remember correctly i think scott jund said this in one of his recent videos and i really like this idea

• Sluzzy

I see your point, however, survivors can still be overpowering without bringing a thing. Since they still have access to perks and addons to go on top of that, I think it is still fair for a good killer to have good addons too. There is no reason Nurse, Demo, and Oni have bad ultra rares.

• NuclearBurrito

Nurse Demo and Oni are all powerful Killers on their own that can handle those Survivors you are talking about. Having super amazing ultra rares on top of that would be too much.

• NuclearBurrito

People don't often complain about addons like Iridescent Button or Redhead Pinky Finger because even though both of those addons offer a similar power boost compared to iridescent hatchet they are on weaker Killers that need that sort of power.

• extonjonas
    extonjonas Member Posts: 41

Why does it need a tell? You should be trying to avoid getting hit by hatchets anyway. How much differently would you really play if you knew sooner. Its really really strong but its not impossible to play against. Chances are that if the huntress is nailing all of her throws she might have wrecked you anyway so you dodge the hatchets and because she has less she will need to reload more often. I think ultr rares are supposed to be this steong so i dont see a problem

• Usui
    Usui Member Posts: 531

yep, no reason why it should still be in the game, especially since they gutted syringe and styptic. On top of that dedicated servers seem to favor huntress the most of any killer, can't tell you how many times im struck with a hatchet completely in cover behind a wall or around a corner. It's a joke

• Hopesfall
    Hopesfall Member Posts: 828

I believe the huge tell is when someone is downed immediately.

Just assume the killer got trolled to hell their last match and accept the death that awaits.

• Sluzzy

I don't think they can. Survivors can finish their objective too quickly. All 3 of those killers can't stop a genrush team. They need very good ultra rares. Nurse could lose the downside of being unable to use her power, and Oni didn't need the ability for survivors to take his power away. They are very, very bad addons.

• Jacksansyboy
    Jacksansyboy Member Posts: 174

It's not giving up her power, it's a huge buff to the power. A power that can be used at a distance. There is no drawback to using iridescent head when you have the infantry belt. If they can't hit you in 3 shots, then they are very bad and are probably using iridecent head to make up for their lack of skill, probably for a daily.

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,775

I'm a bit late to the party so I apologize. My fix is a simple one.

Simply make Iri Head override any of the Belt add-ons. You are stuck with one hatchet. You hit it? Massive value. You miss? You gotta reload.

It rewards people with good aim and those who have practiced while keeping the massive power intact.

• foochill1
    foochill1 Member Posts: 109

So yourre saying you cant dodge a couple hatchet, huntres removes 4 hatchets for 1 shot downs, and most likely they'll use the belt add on for 2 extra, they give up fast wind up or faster throws or effects for the one shot, she has to go get ammo alot more often than you think, seriously bro ANYONE who complains about killers should play killer, cant take you seriously this way

• Heartbound
    Heartbound Member Posts: 3,255
    edited December 2019

I don't even need to know its Huntress to know if she has iri heads. Just watch the hud for other survivors. If they go down in one shot and you see the disconnect symbol you know why.

• PalletOrWhat
    PalletOrWhat Member Posts: 265

I hope one day Huntress gets some juicy changes. I'm not interested in addons at all. I don't use them. But some sweet geniuses have suggested that she should get faster if she has fewer hatchets.

5 Hatchets = 110%

4 Hatchets = 111%

0 Hatchets = 115%

More than 5 Hatchets = still 110%

• fcc2014
    fcc2014 Member Posts: 4,388

For perspective I was able to use forever Freddy to get all 30 of my kicks for the challenge in 1 match. The match lasted forever. I did a ton of slugging but allowed everyone to escape since i got what i wanted. It wasn't fun for anyone.

• NuclearBurrito

Nurse and Demo can at least, I predict that Oni can but he just came out so eh.

But Nurses nerf isn't as drastic as a lot of people make it out to be, and Demo can stall quite well, I've set up 3 gens with the 3 gens being on opposite sides of the map.

They tried to simply rush clear a portal every time I TPed (I didn't have CD addons or addons to slow portal closing) so I just put a portal hidden in the center of the map and bait it out to get hits from their attempts. The information and mobility is amazing for the endgame stall.

• FancyMrB
    FancyMrB Member Posts: 1,250

Why do killers need to have tells on what their add-ons are? Are they not allowed to have some element of surprise?

Hypothetically where would this stop? Would all killers need tells for their strongest add ons?

As for iridescent head needing a Nerf I disagree. I played against a rank 5 huntress this weekend using these exact add ons and 3 out 4 of us escaped (red ranks). She put up a good fight but those 3 hatches are very easy to bait. Also I haven't seen Irid. Huntress in a long time.

Huntress is not easy to play (especially at higher ranks). I can see lower ranks having issue with it but it is simply learning how to play against her and baiting those throws out.

If I had to come up with some kind of nerf to irid. Head maybe instead of having 1 hatchet with an insta down it is your first hatchet that is the insta down, and once its thrown (hit or miss) the rest of the axes are normal. The add on would make it so huntress has to use 5 axes before a reload. Only then would the first hatchet be a irid. one again.

• Apple2o
    Apple2o Member Posts: 624

I'd argue clown bottles are much harder to land than iri heads, and ultimately; even with that add-on he's no more powerful than stock billy.

• doitagain_
    doitagain_ Member Posts: 723

Sorry that sounds like a terrible idea for an ultra rare add-on.. too many of the ultra rares in this game are underwhelming.

• ImmortalReaver
    ImmortalReaver Member Posts: 243

That's very true but also is a sign of a daily challenge huntress ;P

• pemberley
    pemberley Member Posts: 1,510

“If someone goes down right away, that means there’s an Iridescent Head on the table”

Well, pardon my French, but no shiitake mushrooms Sherlock.

That literally does not help the survivor who goes down first. They could even be hit from far away, with no way to fight it.

So now you’re down and on a hook maybe if you weren’t slugged, and good luck getting the other survivors to rescue you BECAUSE they know what’s at stake and also the Huntress is always watching.

Iridescent Huntress (especially with a belt) is a build used by toxic people venting their frustrations on others.

• lynelmane
    lynelmane Member Posts: 549

As someone mentioned above, I think the Huntress humming a different tune if she has iridescent heads would be good, so you know that she has it before she hits someone. Every other killer that has an insta-down ability also has a tell for it (GF has the stalk circle and exposed status effect, Plague has that fiery effect when she has corrupt purge, etc). This wouldn't compromise her ability, because I think it's similar to Demogorgon and Oni having their own TR sound; you know it's them before you see them. You should be able to know Huntress has Iri heads before she gets a down with them.

Another idea would be to change the look of the hatchets when the addon is used. Make them shiny or a different colour, or change the shape of the head to the one on the add-on's icon. That way if you see her you can tell by looking if she's using it or not. This could be good as well since you can't customize the hatches appearance right now.

• Rasinbran
    Rasinbran Member Posts: 240

I don't understand why this add on is chosen to be nerfed when it's already been nerfed. You can only have up to 3 now as opposed to 7 when it was untouched.

What a bunch of privileged survivors begging for mercy, shut your mouths.

• Waffleyumboy
    Waffleyumboy Member Posts: 7,318

That's like saying bnp is untouchable because it was already nerfed.

• madsweeney84
    madsweeney84 Member Posts: 31

That's to be expected. Noob survivor sees issue with how hard it is and wants change. Like the other recent changes. Perhaps stick to checkers or some other boardgame and or L2P.

• LOA
    LOA Member Posts: 235

How many Huntresses you running into?? I mean damn, I hardly see her anymore and who cares if she has Iri. Just try your best and take the loss if you must. People keep thinking they can survive every match.

• pemberley
    pemberley Member Posts: 1,510
    1. not a noob - I’ve reached purple ranks
    2. I also play both sides (and I tend to agree that survivors either have too much power or killers not enough)
    3. I am not the toxic survivor droid you’re looking for
    4. Checkers and other board games are not the insult you’re looking for either since they’re a centuries old method to learning and mastering strategy, particularly battle strategy.

No, reasonable people do not expect to survive every match. Heck, I even advocate that surviving SHOULD be difficult and worthwhile for survivors. However, a fair match is something that should be expected. Any other instant down has a tell AND the killer must work for it and be punished for their mistakes. Iridescent Huntress has neither of these things, and the burden falls on the (first) survivors in an unfair way. It’s not scary like facing Scratched Mirror, it’s demoralizing and punitive especially after a rather long queue time - and it’s not fun to be made into a punching bag.

• madsweeney84
    madsweeney84 Member Posts: 31

Lol. I don't care if you hit purple ranks if you cant dodge an axe you are a noob. Quit crying over builds if you dont know how to outplay them. Learn to play and outplay them. Your arguement "not an insult " idiocy just proves a point. I am saying stick to more "hands on" where you have more control and quit complaining about how "OP" something is. You are a toxic survivor because you are complaining about an easily countered build. 1 hit downs and Gen grabs are so scary for you survivors that you complain about petty #########. Stfu learn how to play.

• LordGlint
    LordGlint Member Posts: 8,333

Iri heads arnt really rare though... Since it's currently Huntress's ONLY red addon, you're likely to see one pop up maybe every other bloodweb (with ebony moris being in the OTHER bloodweb, lol). The rarity of actually seeing it in play comes in the fact that infantry belt is ACTUALLY rarer to get out of the bloodweb...and most ppl who play Huntress alot just dont feel the need to use it.

• princeharlequin
    princeharlequin Member Posts: 58

I’ve always been fond of the idea of removing the insta down feature and having it reveal the auras of the three other survivors upon hitting the one your chasing. It would provide useful information and potential follow up snipes.

• brocktree
    brocktree Member Posts: 37

My bigger issue with plague just tends to be she needs to lose collision while puking, cause she can corner and you're screwed. I'm with others here that assuming huntress has iri

• BushetteLyfe
    BushetteLyfe Member Posts: 27

As a survivor main, I agree with this. You can't win them all so just try to exit playing the game vs winning.

• BushetteLyfe
    BushetteLyfe Member Posts: 27

There is one thing I would like to be addressed and that's when a killer used a Mori why can't a pallet drop that hits stop the Mori if it's not far into it?

• Johnny_XMan
    Johnny_XMan Member Posts: 6,430

@Peanits I think this would be fair. Considering many who use this (from my own personal experience) like to get right behind the survivor in order to hit them. So it would definitely open it up as a more skilled base enhanced hatchet.

• HollowsGrief
    HollowsGrief Member Posts: 1,497
    edited December 2019

I think the best thing to do with Iri Head is make it to where it lowers the amount of hatchets to 1, no matter what addition add ons are used. The issue isn't Iri head, it's having 3 of them cause people always pair it with infantry belt.

• Thanatos_x
    Thanatos_x Member Posts: 201

Yeah just accept that the game is unbalanced and depip like a good little survivor

• I agree, I've used this exact build

Infantry + iri and it's definitely over powered but idt they should get rid of iri head all together or even nurf it at that matter but the build itself Is something that needs improvement perhaps if you put on iri you can add any +hatchet add-ons

• The_Second_Coming
    The_Second_Coming Member Posts: 1,110
    edited December 2019

Imagine being so bad that you think Iri head, something that gimps the huntress more than it helps, needs a nerf.

OOF. I have over 200 Iri heads. I don't use them because they are trash.

EDIT: I should mention, I have faced 4 of them today. At red ranks. The most kills she got was 2.

Learn to dodge and juke hatchets.

• Sushi_x2099
    Sushi_x2099 Member Posts: 39

best counter to mori die 1st hook so they dont get to use it lol

• EldritchElise87
    EldritchElise87 Member Posts: 626

All Iri needs to be balanced is one change, instead of reducing hatchets by 2, it should always start you with 1 hatchet, regardless of other add ons.

• EridianBlaze
    EridianBlaze Member Posts: 33

Here's the thing. Does the Trapper's add-on to auto-set a trap give Survivors a warning before the trap right in front of them auto-sets itself? No. Does Myer's give you a heads up that he's about to plunge a knife (or pipe) into your abdomen? No. Does Spirit give you a way to know she's tracking your blood via Glasses add-on before she spooks you with a katana across your back? Nope. So realistically, Iri Head not having any tell isn't bad. Plus, it actually requires the Huntress to be good at aiming to get good use out of the far-range one-hit down.

• Tarvesh
    Tarvesh Member Posts: 765

Have you considered having Iridescent Heads apply Deep Wounds instead? It's a powerful effect thst would force the survivor to mend and keep them off of the gens longer while allowing the Huntress to move on to a new chase.

• Thatbrownmonster
    Thatbrownmonster Member Posts: 1,640

Wouldn't that make all survivors bassacly run close to you soo they only get hurt? and then can carry with their chase?

Would make this addon useless since if they get close to you they hurt, and then the next time you use it they go down