What is a satisfying loss?

2»

Comments

• Umbrae_pk
    Umbrae_pk Member Posts: 482

When you’ve looped the killer the whole game and get facecamped.

• NinoV1
    NinoV1 Member Posts: 382

Idk, DBD has a different formula from most games that makes it a lot less enjoyable when you lose. I consider a loss four people escaping when I’m killer so it means I played like ass, or they’re just SWF gods.

Very rarely do I not get a bit of salt at a loss like that.

• tempcoma
    tempcoma Member Posts: 28

If I was surv I got everyone out and ran the killer around for most of the gens it's a good loss if I died I've had it multiple times I'm green rank but I like playing in yellow it's mostly solo but when I am in a swf group we usually always leave

Killer I like purple ranks it's more of a challenge just less toxic then red if I kill three and get atleast 6000 across I'm fine with one leaving but there are times they crouch a little to much so I end up killing them all and leaving the crouched die last

• FJSJ_Lunar
    FJSJ_Lunar Member Posts: 230

I have fun when I lose if it was a deserved loss. Like, they just played better than me.

I also have fun when i lose if it's just an intense game. I dont like slaughter no matter which side I'm on. I love those close, white knuckle games where both sides are giving it their all.

• Waffleyumboy
    Waffleyumboy Member Posts: 7,318

Not what I meant bud. I'm not a crying killer main don't condescend to me please.

• MegMain98
    MegMain98 Member Posts: 2,913

Never called you a “crying killer main”

The game is meant to be your skill as a killer vs the survivors skill. What I’m saying is, just because you’re playing the best you could doesn’t mean you automatically deserve to win. Sometimes you just aren’t gonna win. Some maps aren’t going to be in your favor and sometimes the survivors are very coordinated and able to get the objectives done faster than you can kill them off.

Doesn’t mean you played wrong. Sometimes I’ll play perfectly but I still lose because of map design. It happens.

• Waffleyumboy

I said on a balanced map...

Come on read before you post

• MegMain98

Do you know what balance means? A balanced map does not entitled you to a 4K especially if the survivors are good. The round should be able to go either way without having one side be too overbearing. That’s balance. Not you destroying the survivors.

• Waffleyumboy

Assuming I'm a crying killer main again bud? I said 3k. The game is balanced around 3k imo. You should only fail to get a 3k on a balanced or killer map because you have no skill. Again, please read.

• MegMain98

You must assume you’re a “crying killer main”: I never said you were but you keep bringing it up. If you believe you’re a “crying killer main” then just say so. It would be a lot easier if it came from you.

Balance is 2 escape and 2 are killer by the way. That’s the way the devs try to balance the game.

Am I talking to a brick wall?

• NuclearBurrito
    NuclearBurrito Member Posts: 6,807

You should fail if you have LESS skill. Not NO skill.

If you play otherwise perfectly but make 1 mistake, but your opponents played 100% perfectly no mistakes what so ever, then you should lose. Does that mean you had no skill in that game? Obviously not, you probably would be able to beat an imperfect team if you only make 1 mistake, but if you face a team that makes less and smaller mistakes than you then that means you should lose.

Getting outplayed does not imply having no skill.

• Waffleyumboy

It was an overdramatization, but thanks for helping me define my point.

• MrDardon
    MrDardon Member Posts: 3,939

Doing gens, getting chased, saving people and if the gates are opened while someone is on a hook I rush save with Borrowed and sacrifice myself. Well, I die but I see it as an absolute win.

• bumbewildered
    bumbewildered Member Posts: 16

I don't think I've ever had a satisfying loss as a killer (besides farming which I suppose doesn't count). If I don't get kills it's frustrating because usually it's due to one or two cheeky survivors who know how to run me and keep my attention even when I break off.

As for survivors, I feel a satisfying loss is one where I fought like hell to win, usually combining long, fun chases with altruism and gen progress and either lose saving someone or when time runs out on me. For example, if I've outran the killer long enough to be the last survivor and he closes the hatch but I've already stacked up 20k BP due to playing the game correctly and it's just me and the killer, I consider that a win. Likewise being facecamped after a very long Chase is a win. Sacrificing myself for that last Borrowed Time save that trades me for an ally being camped, that's another win, because I know that if we get to the end of the game we deserve to escape and I know my own fun won't be ruined by being camped after saving someone else.

• Patiencehero
    Patiencehero Member Posts: 54
    edited December 2019

I think part of the problem with the concept of 'a satisfying loss' in dbd is that the game's intended purpose and actual design are at odds with each other. BHVR created what they admittedly intended to be a casual, fun-oriented asymmetrical multiplayer game...but then also added ranks instead of hidden matchmaking scores or something to that effect.

When you add ranks to a multiplayer game, it is no longer a casual or fun-oriented experience in the back of the player's mind, but a min-maxed optimal play oriented experience. When you add a metric of displayed performance evaluation, that becomes the new goal, and the new measurement of fun.

I've always intended to play more as a horror game master, and focus more on more on creating a fun horror experience for survivors...and yet even I find myself getting viscerally upset when I depip or get tea bagged by survivors and watch them taunt me at the exit gate. All because that slight competitive metric is there. It's just how most people are wired, I guess - competitiveness can dictate a lot.

Given this information, I think the likely answer is "A satisfying loss is one in which I pip."

• dollbaby7870
    dollbaby7870 Member Posts: 27

When the last survivor makes this amazing run from the killer and gets lucky and stumbles into the hatch while being chased! Super fun and tense to watch even though I'm dead.

Getting camped in the hook while watching 4 gens pop.

Chasing a survivor the whole game just because they are much better than me and finally getting a hit before they all escape!

• Kongtwenty12
    Kongtwenty12 Member Posts: 140

That doesn't even make sense. Why would the game be "balanced" for a statistical win for the killer and That's not an opinionated statement. Your just wrong and your missing the point. The point is that you think you deserve to win and that's wrong. No one deserves to win and it's people that think that they do that make it so hard for any progress to made that would actually improve the game.

• Dicklaycia
    Dicklaycia Member Posts: 147

When I play Survivor, a satisfying loss would be me being sacrificed, but the rest of my team/someone I sacrificed myself to try and save escaping. For Killer, I feel like the Survivors escaping while I still gave them a difficult time as being satisfying enough for me despite not winning. I don’t really pay attention much to pipping for either of them.

• TheEversong
    TheEversong Member Posts: 25

As a killer I'm content with two kills or least several hooks. If I get many of them on death hook but they all get out I'm pretty happy with that. As a Survivor it would be saving others or getting a gen or two done.