Killers and Tunneling

Comments

• KeepingItCooler
    KeepingItCooler Member Posts: 5

What happens when you only play solo queue, like myself, and don't have a SWF team that would go down for you? What do you suggest a survivor to do when they play solo and hook save someone and try to intentionally get hit for the unhooked person only for the killer to ignore my body blocking and go right for the unhooked person, or better yet they hit me and still go after the unhooked person with 5 gens still up at the beginning of the match? That's what this dude is talking about, not when there's two or three gens left and the killer needs to do something to apply more pressure, so they tunnel to get 1 kill.

• LustForBP
    LustForBP Member Posts: 611

Thank you. It seems the only people that understand this are ones that actually try and play fair.

• Ace_Of_Spades
    Ace_Of_Spades Member Posts: 68

Yada yada yada. This game has aspects no one likes. Every tactic that didn't abuse a glitch or bug is valid. Let's not pretend rank means anything. I've camped and tunnelled before. I would bet at least 95% of players have done it and the other 5% are liars. Sure it sucks but the survivors have all the tools they need to make it suck for killer. Can't we all just admit this game sucks sometimes and try our best to change our reactions to it? Shaming others for how they play isn't gonna solve these problems. In fact it'll just make them double down and maybe even stop playing. "Well it's fine if they stop they're baby killers who camp." This game has a declining player base and we need all the killers we can get. Campers or not. Campers turn into non campers once they notice the point difference. Tunneling is just gonna keep happening. Too many factors go into play when it comes to it.

• LustForBP

Player base is far from down on Xbox with GP. Nobody is shaming anyone except those in opposition to my disapproval of killers tunneling one survivor from the start til they die. My reaction will remain the same to that.

Mostly everyone that tunnels has admitted it and I admitted I’ve done it til i was on the receiving end and lost pips and rank because I never fully had a chance to play.

Plenty of survivors have come out and said its unjust especially when you try and assist the tunneled teammate and the killer persists for that one survivor.

• LustForBP

You also talk about players quitting for being shamed for playstyle. Just imagine how many quit from being tunneled. I know quite a few people. I tried to get a friend into dbd and he was tunneled for 2-3 games and never touched the game again. Think about how toxic that seems to new players. Now please, back to the topic on hand.

• 28_stabs
    28_stabs Member Posts: 1,470

If nobody go down for you, you dont go down for them. As simple as that. Do generators or other actions when its safe.

If killer allow you to heal yourself.. well, heal and take more hits. As simple as that. :D You can waste all of killers time by bodyblocking and healing multiple times. You can block windows, doors, pallets and narrow ways. There are more than enough places block killer.

• CrispyChestnuts
    CrispyChestnuts Member Posts: 175

If you don't believe we can comprehend, why waste your breath? I know that you know that we get it and you are just using an attack ad hominem to marginalize your dissenters.

• LustForBP

Jesus. You are outstandingly biased towards killers tunneling. You completely ignore the statement we’ve both made about killers ignoring those that bodyblock or assist the survivor being tunneled.

• LustForBP

I am far from using an ad hominem to marginalize anything. Each and every killer that has posted in this discussion has been extremely bias towards tunneling. The discussion wasn’t about tunneling during EGC or if gens are being popped left and right. It’s about a survivor being penalized because he was tunneled from start to death. Even if teammates assisted by attempting to body block, take a hit, etc. the killer still tunnels that one person. It’s not about the other survivors winning or hiding more, it’s about not penalizing a survivor that never had a chance to play properly.

But good one, the only one attempting ad hominem has been the individual personally blaming me when I play survivor for being tunneled.

• thrawn3054
    thrawn3054 Member Posts: 5,897

While tunneling sucks it exists for a reason. There are the people that cling to the excuse of it being efficient. But there will be times where it is the right thing to do. If the survivor has been toxic. By which I mean actually toxic. Not using loops or perks. Or the game is over. Gates are open, and someone is on the hook. But I do agree that tunneling of the hook is, generally speaking, a cowards play.

• KeepingItCooler

So what you're saying is stop trying to get altruism points and get objective only... Too bad they cap.

• 28_stabs

Blocked ways cant be ignored. Killer waste time to hurt the bodyblocker or to go around. You completely ignore all bodyblocking opportunities that survivors have.

• EnderloganYT
    EnderloganYT Member Posts: 621

both often will keep the killer at lower ranks (15-16) so you need to get out of there. it'll certainly be a painful process, but eventually when you get to like green or something camping/tunneling should be down

• Waldorf_2R3
    Waldorf_2R3 Member Posts: 20

Not that this comment is really for this thread, but I think this is something that should be said. Can the devs make using the hatch to escape the same kind of scoring that they use for Mori's. i understand that the hatch is a last ditch effort for the remaining survivor, but they shouldn't get more points for escaping through the hatch than they would with the exit gates. It would be a deterrent from using keys as often as they have been. Killer mains wouldn't be as upset about hatch escapes knowing this. Plus you won't have that one team mate that hides all game and waits for the hatch. I am a survivor main and I approve this message.

• Scootermarrrr
    Scootermarrrr Member Posts: 15

Holy #########. No wonder the developers ignore you whiney babies. Every post on this forum is a whooooole lot of bitching. Y'all need to grow the ef up. Holy hell.

• LustForBP

good one. Maybe you need to grow up and learn to construct a proper argument. Nobody is “bitching”. I’ve laid out a debate.

• LustForBP

I definitely know it exists for a reason. I’ve continuously explain that this post is about tunneling one survivor from the start. Not during end game or when most gens are repaired.

• LustForBP

Please, create your own thread for this. I understand the motive behind it, but you’re hijacking the topic at hand.

• LustForBP

I’m red rank survivor and killer. Tunneling is actually more often in Red/Purple than I find it elsewhere.

• Ace_Of_Spades
    Ace_Of_Spades Member Posts: 68

Dude you're here trying to shame people for playing a certain way. Trying to punish aka "penalize" is shaming just in a sanctimonious fashion. Let alone all the other ######### you're spewing. Boo hoo you got tunnelled and think it's unfair. Now you can go back to whatever point you are trying to make. And I know people who are quitting because of the battle pass. So if you're telling me the player base is fine then how do we both know people quitting because of the direction the games going? Anyway you have a bone up your ass over this so just keep whining. I'mma let you go.

• 28_stabs

I told you what to do with tunneling. Now you ask me how to max bp???

• EnderloganYT

really? I guess there's naught we can do. decisive's really the only thing I can think of to stop it, and then you get slugged. oof.

• LustForBP

Lmao now who’s using an ad hominem? I could care less if killers are punished. I’m talking about NOT PENALIZING SURVIVORS who never had a fighting chance because of tunneling. Open your eyes and read instead of trying to sound like you have a bigger brain than me.

• LustForBP

Nope. You think DS is a cure all til you get slugged out of it or you miss a skill check. Not only that, it’s a literal one and done perk. Game over.

• LustForBP

You really have comprehension issues, don’t you? He didn’t ask how to Max BP. He was being a smart ass to the “point” you tried to make.

• EnderloganYT

I mentioned the slugging lol. yeah it's less a cure and more akin to a painkiller. Won't end the problem, but might stop it for like one match.

• SpaceCoconut
    SpaceCoconut Member Posts: 1,962

I'm late to the party but...

• Jacksansyboy
    Jacksansyboy Member Posts: 174

If a chase lasts too long, yes, you are bad. It means that you aren't good enough to end it quickly, and too stupid to realize when a chase is lasting too long and that you need to quit. "Good enough" as in: you're lack of skill, the survivor is far enough ahead in skill that you aren't good enough to catch up, or they are at a good loop and you can't catch them even if you are better than them. Not good enough for a particular situation.

• LustForBP

Yeah, I just sort of reiterated it into my post haha. Every now and then it will work. But if the killer is really out to get you, what help is it? Lol

• LustForBP

Your video does not support an opposition to my discussion. I favor what you did. My opposition is survivors being penalized for being tunneled from the start to death. As in, match starts, killer tunnels you, you never have an opportunity to do anything else, dead. Lose pip, possibly rank, and no BP.

• SpaceCoconut

If a killer chooses to tunnel from start to finish... oh well. Die on the hook and move on to the next match.

MCote himself said that DbD is designed to be frustrating which makes it good gameplay apparently.

Don't get mad at the killers, get mad at the people who make it possible.

• NEVELEVEN11
    NEVELEVEN11 Member Posts: 141

While being killer, i only tunnel a player if theyve body blocked me from getting another survivor. You do that, im tunneling.

• douggie123
    douggie123 Member Posts: 1,316

So want to make your toxic loops even more beneficial for you and screw the killers

• KeepingItCooler

They go hand in hand but I guess you didn't understand that haha. Also, you can't body block on most maps as it's usually an open area, good luck explaining how a solo survivor can do it.

• LustForBP

still not my point. Yeah, the game is based around frustrating each side. However, don’t penalize a survivor for a toxic tactic.

Tunneling is necessary per your videos example.

It’s unfair to penalize a survivors rank because they didn’t have an opportunity to play.

• LustForBP

Never said that. I’m a killer main and I drop a loop once I realize I’ve lost or they’re better than me. Simple as that. If a survivor can loop me very well, kudos to them. If as a killer, I get mad because of it and resort to tunneling only them, I’m pathetic.

• SpaceCoconut

So blame the devs who make it possible to penalize a tunneled survivor. Don't ask killers to not use a tactic available.

Killers can't ask survivors to not loop.

• LustForBP

That’s a toxic tactic. Most survivors body block because you’ve been tunneling. So, you’re already playing toxic and now you make it worse by tunneling the helping hand? I do not understand it. Sure, if you’re down 2 gens or so or it’s EGC tunnel but if it’s at the start with 4-5 gens and you’re tunneling because someone bodyblocked for a teammate? That’s petty. Hit them and down them, hook them, go find the other guy or another survivor.

• LustForBP

the post isn’t asking anyone to not do anything. It’s asking for some sort of penalty deduction or induction. Why’s it fair to reward a killer who tunneled one survivor at the beginning and penalize that survivor? Do you seriously deserve to lose a pip because 2 minutes in you spent running from a killer tunneling you?

• Aroes
    Aroes Member Posts: 1

Look my opinion people camp because survivors will try to come over to their friends in three seconds so if your a killer and you know the survivors unhook usually that quick wouldn't you want another survivor down for half the team not doing gens I know I would but I normally look to see as killer how fast the unhook happens at first and do something else if it happens in really quick I look around the hook for about 15 seconds then leave if don't see any one I just leave unless bbq show me ever ones far away the of course why would I waste time look for people who aren't their.

Now as for tunneling survivors I can tunnel alot if some one makes it so easy for me to do for example if you see a survivor who is hurt that is farther then the one uninjured that right next to me what you do I go for the one closest to me because that hit gonna be earier then the guy who's in next zip code ,god window, or god pallet for most killers (huntress I looking at you) right? But if you have an injured survivor right next to you and the other uninjured survivors in the next zip, god window, or god pallet who would I go for? I know I pick the injured guy. Now as for just chasing one survivor forever over a match if I feel like am outmatched I will just leave them alone and go to someone else if I think the others are good but not as good as him and most the time am right but think of it this way if you think this guy carring them then maybe it be worth to take him out and then go for every one else I don't it ever is but you can see how you could think that way.

Now as for what survivors could do I think it already been stated just start gens as soon a kill see one gen done he might want go over and stop the game from ending but he could just stand their and if he does just keep doing them and you will have them all done before you know it cause their only two more to do if your all on gens and then next set of two should almost be done.

Well those my thoughts on why it happens.

• NEVELEVEN11
    NEVELEVEN11 Member Posts: 141

No. I find a survivor and strike him the furst time. I then pursue him.right as i get close enough, im body blocked and thus stalled by a survivor. Or a survivor will crouch under a hook potentially helping a teammate struggle and escape. Body blocking or hook blocking will getyou tunneled by me.

• SpaceCoconut

According to the devs rules, if you didn't unhook survivors, fix gens, or heal survivors... yes, you deserve to lose a pip regardless of the reason. You'll get a lot of boldness though :)

Regardless of the length of this thread, you're asking the devs to change something... something they might change by the end of 2020, but probably won't.

For now, suck it up buttercup. We're all stuck with the systems they have in place. Many of which many others before you have brought up over and over again which the devs have continued to ignore.

/thread

• LustForBP

Then you’re toxic. Unless it’s end game or you’re in a gen crisis where they’ve completed 3 or more. Being petty because survivors are playing as a team is honestly pathetic. I could understand if you’ve been trolled, as in, flashlighted, stunned at pallets where you didn’t know a survivor was there, etc. but tunneling because the survivors are playing as a team to prevent you tunneling is toxic.

• LustForBP

The point just went over your head, didn’t it? You have a terrible mindset if you think a survivor deserves to penalized for not having an opportunity to play.

• leyzyman
    leyzyman Member Posts: 355

Ok, I tried to read every post to get caught up, bit I couldn't do it. So if something is repeated, I am sorry. Also typing on phone.

Skip to paragraph 5 if you want to read my thoughts on the matter

So, @LustForBP, this post is about how some killers tunnel and camp survivors. Now, from what I read, there were some people who were getting mad about your ideas, and I will try to be neutral.

As of right now, before we actually get started, let me explain where I am coming from. I am currently a rank 11 survivor and a rank 13 killer, mainly because I havent played as much recently. Been enjoying GTA and Persona5. But, i have gotten both survivor and killer to rank 7. If i could have afforded more time, i feel like i could have gotten survivor to red ranks, and killer to lower purple ranks. Although, because matchmaking sucks, I have faced quite a few 4 man swf, with at least 2 red ranks, that knew how to play at green ranks. So I guess what I am saying is that rank doesn't matter to me at this point. I admit though, I play more survivor than killer, because I am usually stressed while playing killer, but as a solo survivor, I feel like I am less stressed. I used be be a claudette, but moved to jake as a survivor, and mainly play GF and Demo as killer, but like to dabble in other killers from time to time.

Alright, my argument...

So you say that you think it is unfair that killers tunnel and camp. The main issue between my ideas and your ideas is that you define tunneling as someone who chases you for a long time and after hooks. The after hooks part I agree, but I define the other part as committing to a chase. I am going to be using my terms for my explanation.

Like I said earlier, I do agree with your definition of camping.

I do agree that camping and tunneling isnt exactly the fairest thing to do. Being chased off hook and having the killed around you till you are struggling or even dead. But, this does punish the killer in 2 ways.

1. Killer will lose BP and will get less on the emblem ranking system for this.

2. The rest of the survivors are free to do as they want.

The feel of the post is that you are talking about a 1v1 scenario. Lots of people do it. Yeah, I agree that tunneling and camping is abused against 1 survivor. The rest of your team, however, could abuse this to finish every generator and escape. This is a team-oriented game after all. What are the other survivors doing during the time you are camped?

Another question is proxy camping. What if 2 other survivors are close by, and the killer has bbq? If the killer knows that most of the team is nearby, wouldn't s/he want to deal with 3 survivors not doing anything, or get the 1 doing something, and having the rest quickly back in the game?

Also, isn't it a good thing to be chased for a while? Like I said a couple paragraphs ago, if you can chase a killer for 5 minutes, and then he camps you, the rest of your team should be guaranteed an escape. Idk how you de-pip from that, as you should be rewarded for that. Unless the team is not doing any gens period.

Now at the end of the game, if the killer doesn't have any kills, or only 1 kill, i could see the idea for trying to confirm a kill. At that point, you just want to safety. At this point, all of the other survivors would probably pip, so unless they decided to not do generators.

I know there were other things said between you and others, but I am just focusing on the main topic.

TL;DR

Is tunneling and camping justified at the beginning of the match?: I think so.

Is tunneling justified?: only if it is the end of the game, I understand.

Is camping justified?: yes in circumstances.

Is tunneling and camping unpunished?: only if the team isn't doing the objective.

This is my opinion. Feel free to rebuttle.

• LustForBP

You make fair points, but it’s still not my point.

Yes, if you’re teammates are in the proximity then it’s their fault you’re being camped.

Pips/Rank are not team-based. it’s how you perform individually.

Yes, your team benefits from a killer tunneling you. Yes, the killer is penalized for tunneling you, if your team escapes.

However, you are penalized for being tunneled.

Example: I played a game where I was tunneled as soon as the match started. I tapped a gen and the killer came to me. Me and my teammate both split. The killer came to me. (killer has ruin and Thanatophobia so progression is slowed already) I mistakenly hit a tree, I got hit. I manage to get distance thanks to the boost. The killer catches up, I DH. Exhausted. I manage to put distance on me and the killer. He catches up, downs me. Hooks me. He leaves. I get unhooked, killer immediately comes back, hits me. BT kicks in. My teammate tries to body block. He hits my teammate so my teammate scurries away. He tunnels me. Bam, 1 gen pops, 2 pops (maybe). Hooks me. I’m now on Struggle with maybe 2-3 minutes into the game. Killer leaves again. My teammate unhooks me, killer immediately comes back, downs me again. 3-4 gens popped. I get hooked, dead. Post-game award? No. I get de-pipped and awarded maybe 5k BP.

Now, tell me where that’s fair? I was innocent. Didn’t troll the killer, never had a chance to work on a gen, rescue a teammate, break totems, heal teammates etc. so it resorts in the game thinking I was not helping my team.

• 28_stabs

Devs nefred pallets, windows, DS, BT, exhaustion perks and healing for a reason. They dont want survivors to be immortal. You allow mistakes = you die.

If 5 generators stay not repaired, thats survivors not doing their objective.

Also, devs ask to not report tunneling. Tunneling is ok.

• SpaceCoconut

The point is also over your head apparently.

Don't get mad at me and my opinion. Get mad at the devs who have implemented this system that punishes survivors for being tunneled lol

• LustForBP

Far from mad at you. Is that the only thing people can come up with? Construct a critical argument rather than just spewing out that “because it’s in the game, it’s in the game”. I believe you only commented on the thread to advertise your YouTube. I’m not opposing that perspective on tunneling. I do, however, oppose your view that survivors deserve to be penalized if they didn’t help with the objective despite being targeted til they die.