What is worse, “gen-rush” or “tunneling”?

Options
LustForBP
LustForBP Member Posts: 611
edited December 2019 in General Discussions

I am curious, I recently made a thread and got [edit] bombarded because supposedly tunneling is the only effective strategy to counter this “gen-rush”.

How can gen-rush be considered a toxic survivor method if that’s the objective?

Example:

Match starts, 2-3 minutes go by and 3 gens pop. This is supposedly “gen-rushing”. Let’s say the killer spent 2-3 minutes being looped by a strong survivor. Who’s fault is it? Are the survivors toxic for completing gens or is the killer not smart for sticking to the chase?

———

yes, tunneling is an effective strategy in certain situations. But if you tunnel one survivor from the start of the game til they die, and you get 3 gens popped on you, that’s your fault.

Post edited by LustForBP on

Answers

• Nickeh
    Nickeh Member Posts: 282
    edited December 2019
    Options

There are killers who can't manage 2 survivors with 3 gens left to go, and also killers who can absolutely manage 3 survivors with one gen left to go.

The game's mechanics are all over the place but there's still skill and perk choice that determines a lot. "Gen-rushing" and "tunneling" are just ways to try to shame the other players into playing how you want instead of making up for your own weaknesses.

• Raccoon
    Raccoon Member Posts: 7,658
    Options

I play how I want to, and say GG at the end of the game regardless of how anyone else played on either side.

Shocking, I know.

• gantes
    gantes Member Posts: 1,611
    Options

Or or hear me out

You can learn to apply pressure instead of tunnel visioning into a chase that's taking way too long

You can slug

Yes, gens go by fast, but "genrushing" is as much as a problem as killers who don't know where to be in the map at the right times.

• SpaceCoconut
    SpaceCoconut Member Posts: 1,962
    Options

It depends on which role you're playing

Gen-rush is a killer concern.

Tunneling is a survivor concern.

• Nickeh
    Nickeh Member Posts: 282
    Options

It is fair, there's around 30k points being used to sway that match in the survivors favor. If the killer happened to bring an ebony mori then that would easily sway the match back in less than 10k

• kate_main
    kate_main Member Posts: 178
    Options

Applying pressure against solos is reasonable.

Against SWF ,however,is impossible,they can tell each other exactly where you are and where you're going,when you stop chasing,ecc...

So they can easily focus those gens like crazy.

• LustForBP
    Options

Yes, they’re obvious concerns for one another.

Which is worse?

Both can end the game for an individual.

Survivors gen-rush, the killer suffers.

Killer tunnels, one survivor suffers.

However, a killer can prevent gen-rushing with a decent build or map pressure. Most survivors cannot prevent tunneling.

• EldritchElise87
    EldritchElise87 Member Posts: 626
    Options

All both are is the sweatiest ways to play that dont take into account emblems or the other players. Its a kind of boring mindset in a game like this, but some people will always try and find the most efficient ways to "win" and given peoples definition of winning can vary, you cant really stop that.

• gantes
    Options

Tunnelling is pretty inneficient for "wins" vs good survivors though. It might help you secure a single kill but if survivors catch on to what you're doing You're basically leaving two survivors absolutely unchecked at all times. Not to mention that DS and BT exist.

So yeah, you're relying on the survivors being stupid if that's how you approach the game.

• 28_stabs
    28_stabs Member Posts: 1,470
    Options

None is bad. Thats two parts of the game. Two sides of the same coin.

Both sides sacrifice time or resources. Killer eventually kill some survivors, some survivors eventually escape.

• [Deleted User]
    Options

No it's not, both of those are just unfair. The entire concept of how items work in this game is broken on a fundamental level.

If you like the game anyways that's fine I do too, but it's not a well designed game by any stretch of the imagination.

• PistolTimb
    PistolTimb Member Posts: 1,414
    Options

Neither is fun to go against but neither is wrong or toxic. Maps are a serious issue in this game, and I think that once they are all sorted out, the game will be more fun for both sides.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,229
    edited December 2019
    Options

I dunno, if you are getting tunneled it feels pretty toxic...but it's not really cause you can just die and move on.

Thing is if you are a survivor and you've had enough, you can just ######### on hook. No punishment, no nothing just dead and onto a new game. It's not very stressful.

As killer you have no option, you can't AFK because you will be reported and maybe punished, you can't DC because you will be trashed on and reported and if you DC enough maybe banned- and soon matchmaking locked out when those come back.

So killer has no choice but to just be at the survivor's mercy all game when they are getting creamed, and survivors usually want to teabag at opposite gates so you gotta run all the way over to each of them to chase them out else they will never leave till last second of end game timer.

I honestly think that the killer just needs some kind of way out like survivors have, like they can just open the gate at any point, or after 2 or 3 gens are done or something. (If you say but it will mess with ____ challenge I say screw the challenges entirely they shouldn't even exist they are dumb to begin with lol)

• theArashi
    theArashi Member Posts: 998
    Options

There is no effective strategy to counter genrush other then ending the chases instantly or hoping for survivors messup.

If killer actually gets more then 1 kill while tunnelling and hook camping it's the survivors throwing the game. Both are boring strategies for the other side.

• gantes
    Options

There's a counter for most instances of gen rushing that don't involve huge maps or busted toolboxes. It's called not playing like a bot.

• TruEternity
    TruEternity Member Posts: 320
    Options

One is no worse/better than the other. The are both parts of the game. Is it unfun for the side experiencing it? Sure, but Neither is inherently toxic.

• Boss
    Boss Member Posts: 13,613
    Options

I don't really mind either, but i guess i dislike genrush more.

• S_Panda
    S_Panda Member Posts: 539
    Options

They're both annoying when they're the actual term.

"toxic" gen-rushing: just got unhooked and they're back on a gen cause they run bt/ds/adrenaline/exhaustion so they have 2 safety perks right away and the faster they finish the last gen the quicker they can rush away from the killer after being downed.

"toxic" tunneling: going after the same person 3 times in a row as soon as they're unhooked while chasing a separate 'third' survivor, even eating the BT hit & DS stun without the survivor even getting into a locker.

I love the usage of tunneling when you go after a survivor again after they've been hooked before.

My favorite recent example is I'm playing the pig for fun with her 3 perks & slow-boxes + reduced timer. All 4 people swarm the hook of a guy I had first hooked and was now second. I rush to hit the injured person before he unhooks the guy without borrowed time: survivor gets downed. I leave him be and go after others for 2 other hooks and find my guy on death hook. I need 2 interrupts for my challenge so INSTEAD of sacrificing him there, I take him to his final box and whack at it. he starts I interrupt, rinse and repeat and here's the best part: I walk away. He gets his helmet off safely and there's still no survivors dead at 2 gens remaining. Later on I find him again at a gen injured and finish him off.

• humanbeing1704
    humanbeing1704 Member Posts: 8,780
    Options

tunnelling although it feels good when you get tunneled and you manage to get to chased for the remainder of the game and escape

• Glipngr
    Glipngr Member Posts: 19
    Options

Gen rushing isn't a thing.

• PigMainClaudette
    PigMainClaudette Member Posts: 3,842
    Options

Tunnelling.

Rather than playing the part of a proper horror villain, you're just giving the middle finger to a single player and saying that the last 20 minutes they have tried to load into a game for are about to be wasted completely.

As for Gen-Rushing, that's on the killer for not applying enough pressure. Survivors as a whole are ACTUALLY DOING THEIR OBJECTIVE for once and now killers are complaining. Before the "recent wave of gen-rushing" I had my hands in at least 3 generators every game, usually 4. Some games I'm now barely getting 2. Is this a problem? I don't think so. I can still apply pressure as a killer and stomp a team when they still need to finish 3 generators.

• FJSJ_Lunar
    FJSJ_Lunar Member Posts: 230
    Options

You can counter gen rushing by pressuring gens or with any of the perks

Tunneling on the other hand, is harder to counter. You have ds and bt. And your team can gen rush to get out faster while you're tunneling. But the person being tunneled is screwed even if the other 3 get out.

So probably hard tunneling is worse.

• Aceonfire
    Aceonfire Member Posts: 304
    edited December 2019
    Options

The survivor's job is to do generators, avoid the killer and escape.

A killer's job is to catch the survivor's before they escape.

It's really that simple.

Stop making up phrases for like tunneling and gen rushing. It happens because the devs don't know how to score or rank people and it's led to everyone blaming the other side for imaginary rules. Focus your frustration for a shortfall in the game where it belongs:

BHVR.

• poli
    poli Member Posts: 34
    Options

what is playing this game like its some sort of athletic competition and in turn sucking out all the fun for everybody else for 1000 alex

• DBDIT
    DBDIT Member Posts: 172
    Options

Definitely tunneling. "Gen rushing", as some would call it, insinuates survivors are somehow doing something wrong by going for the main objective. It's annoying at the very least but it's up to me when I play killer to 1. Periodically check on gen progression 2. Not to chase one survivor for too long and 3. Not waste valuable time hanging out by hooks while there are still three survivors out there. I main the lovely killer in my pic and I use Overcharge to slow down the game along with other perks that compliment my killer style and keeps me away from hooks (ie make your choice)

• HellDescent
    HellDescent Member Posts: 4,883
    Options

2 completely different things you can't compare

• dkyguy1995
    dkyguy1995 Member Posts: 45
    Options

Neither!

• Raven014
    Raven014 Member Posts: 4,188
    Options

Gen Rush.

Tunneling is bad, don't get me wrong, but at least you're helping your team (if using kindred/DS) in some way by being a distraction.

Gen rush feels like you can't do anything to stop them.

• laurelstroodle
    laurelstroodle Member Posts: 432
    Options

Both.

Gen rushing take away your bps and basically you de-pip

Tunneling take away your bps and you de-pip

• Sonzaishinai
    Sonzaishinai Member Posts: 7,976
    Options

They are litterly the same thing, doing the game as effeciently as possible, none are toxic

Survivors objective is to do gens and get out, ofcourse you want to do that as fast as possible

killers need to kill survivors, and just like in an rpg where the enemy with 1 hp does the same damage as one with full hp, it's tacticly better to focus them one by one, the injured survivor on death hook does gens just as fast as the healthy survivor with no hooks

Also hard disagree that there are no perks against tunneling, i already explained how to deal with it in the other treat

You keep saying that people are "attacking" you but you are also ignoring the ones who actual give advice

Getting genrushed sucks, getting tunneled too, but both have counter strategy's that make them easier to deal with and less frustrating

I would simply suggest to stop calling every strategy you can't beat toxic

It will only halt your growth as a player

• mmain
    mmain Member Posts: 430
    Options

I think it actually goes both directions. Gen rushing sometimes leads to tunneling and tunneling sometimes leads to gen rushing.

• Mister_Holdout
    Mister_Holdout Member Posts: 3,144
    Options

They're both unfun.

• Crimbojambo
    Crimbojambo Member Posts: 81
    Options

Gen-Rushing is a sign that you have left way to many survivors unattended. Discordance is great early game to force survivors to work seperately or be found all game. I think the issue that makes Gen-Rushing so devastating start of match is map size, specifically playing low mobility killers. Reduced map size would easily fix gen rushing.

Tunneling is good in a few situations but ultimately leaves way too many survivors open to burn through gens. I absolutely think tunneling someone off hook due to everyone constantly rushing the hook is only logical, killer goes where the survivors are. Its common sense. Some killers abilities do seem to thrive from a divide and conquer method of eliminating survivors one at a time. Beyond that its poor management of your targets or letting other players get the best of you that results in using tunneling as a crutch. And with how frequently anti-tunneling perks get nerfed into the dirt, (Decisive Strike, Mettle of Man) it seems kinda natural to be miffed. Both are tolerable.

• Tokkern
    Tokkern Member Posts: 74
    Options

You have at least 20 perks that can help you in a chase vs killer. Come again survivor biased guy

• RandomHyperBeast
    RandomHyperBeast Member Posts: 35
    Options

It's not toxic to get rush. The only obj for survs is to complete gens so if they just a little smart and split up to do 3gens in the time it takes to do one then that's on the killer for not stopping them. It's ok if the killer is chasing someone else but they need to know when to leave them if time is passing otherwise tunneling is usless

• HauntedMandalorian
    Options

Tunneling, by far.

Give other players a chance to actually play the game. Whenever I play as Killer, I try to make it a point to not hook the same person twice back to back and to give them some space. Sometimes it's unavoidable, but the effort is there.

White flags are painted red if you use a Flashlight on me, though. Just saying. I hate that because it hurts my eyes. 😵 I will chase you until I hook you, I don't care if the other Survivors get all five Generators on in that time period.

• ThisLadyRightHere
    ThisLadyRightHere Member Posts: 195
    Options

Tunneling is worse.

“Gen Rush” is very countered with perks same with loops. I play killer and survivor equally and it’s not good tunneling one survivors especially if they can run you all game. It’s unfair to them.

If you need to tunnel to win and you think it’s a strategy you are a very inexperienced killer. As I said before it and unhealthy gameplay and it will cause you more frustration than good. When I play killer games if I made everyone at least 20k+ points that’s a good game in my book regardless of who live and who died.

I only see tunneling acceptable for that one dickish survivor teabag at every play and flashlight blinding you thinking they are a god.

• anarchy753
    anarchy753 Member Posts: 4,212
    Options

Tunnelling ends one person's game really fast and leaves them with a crappy amount of points.

Genrushing ends 5 people's games really fast and leaves them with a crappy amount of points.

• LustForBP
    Options

I’m a killer main.

Also, far from biased as I understand situational tunneling. I.e. 3-4 gens popped and you tunnel to save face. EGC and you tunnel to save face.

What I don’t understand are killers complaining that “gen-rush” is toxic or annoying or whatever term you want to use. Killers have counter perks and with decent map pressure can actually nullify a “gen-rush”.

Name the perks that aid in tunneling? Yes, a survivor can escape the killer with most, but if the killer is a great chaser, they won’t. Or if the survivor is a bad looper, they won’t. Most speed boost perks lead to exhaustion, which slow you down and it doesn’t fade during a chase or sprint. DS is a one and done perk.

Instead of trying to attack me lol actually give your opinion, a constructive opinion like everyone else on why you think one or the other is worse or if neither is.

Thanks!

• w_sohl
    w_sohl Member Posts: 124
    Options

How can gen rush ever be worse? It's literally the job of the survivors to get the gens done as fast as possible. I don't think there is anything wrong with tunneling either, sucks for the survivor being tunneled, but it is a valid strategy.

• w_sohl
    w_sohl Member Posts: 124
    Options
  • thrawn3054
    thrawn3054 Member Posts: 5,897
    Options

No. They're both a DbD player concern. I'm a survivor main. But I still care that killers are given a fair chance.

As for the OP. Which is worse is pretty much going to depend on which side you favor. At least for most people. To me they are on pretty even footing as they both do the same thing. Kill one sides fun and prevent them from getting to play.

Unfortunately tunneling doesn't really have a work around that I can see. The best I can think of is rework DS to a shorter timer that pauses if you get chased before the timer ends. If you get downed DS is active and doesn't deactivate until picked up. Maybe change Borrowed Time to work against stealth killers as well. Change it to proc of range instead or TR.

Gen-rush is similarly complicated. My best idea is to implement a tool belt. Have one per survivor in every match. Then either before you can work on a gen you need to find one. Or have a repair speed debuff until you find one. 20% maybe. This would give survivors a secondary objective. Which should weaken gen-rush.

• Artemis_LH
    Artemis_LH Member Posts: 113
    Options

As a killer, I usually just keep pressure on the map and gens.

Letting a looping survivor get away is worth it if it means preventing a gen from being completed.

Cocky survivors usually slip up and make mistakes at SOME point(s).

This discussion has been closed.