The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Some questions from a new player.

Razovar
Razovar Member Posts: 16
edited January 2020 in General Discussions

really enjoying the game but a lot of things I don’t understand.

1. what is the torch used for?
  2. when or how do i get to use the teachable perks on other characters?
  3. should I just focus on upgrading one character? Currently have lvl 13 meg.
  4. is there in game chat? I haven’t Heard anybody speak in about 10 games.

Comments

• PistolTimb
    PistolTimb Member Posts: 1,413

Flashlights are used purely for blinding the killer, which can be done while they're breaking a pallet or when they're picking up a survivor. Survivors often spam the flashlight to taunt or irritate the killer, which can often backfire.

Teachable perks are available at levels 30, 35 and 40 of their respective character. Once you unlock the teachable version of the perk (it will be orange instead of the normal colors), then it will appear in all survivor bloodwebs.

You should level up a character you like; for example, I loved Ace when i first started playing, so i leveled him up first. When you get a character to level 50, you have the option to prestige them (lose all perks and items, and start at level 1 of a new bloodweb). This is usually pointless, especially for survivors. You should focus on getting teachable perks that you want, before you start prestiging survivors or killers.

• kcwolf1975
    kcwolf1975 Member Posts: 651
    edited January 2020

1. By torch I am guessing that you mean a lit totem. That signifies that the killer is running a hex perk. The most common one is ruin which affects the progress on generators. Once you destroy that totem, it cancels their perk.

If you mean a flashlight, it can be used to blind the killer temporarily.

2. Teachable perks before available when you get your character level to 30 (maybe 35, I can't remember) Once you unlock that particular teachable perk, it will start showing up in other characters bloodwebs.

3. Figure out what teachable perk you would like to use the most and work on that character. If you have leatherface, i would do him first because bbq and chili can double the bloodpoints that you earn which will help lessen the grind immensely.

• xEa
    xEa Member Posts: 4,105
    edited January 2020

Hello

1. With torch you mean the flashlight? If so, its there to blind the Killer.
    2. Selct any Survivor or Killer. On the right side there is Character Info where you can see all teachable perks on the survivor you are on. Its always on Level 30, 35 and 40. As soon as you have unlocked it on this character, it is teachable on any other one.
    3. Right now, yes. Get some perks with her first and then focus on unlocking the teachable perks of different survivors.
    4. No there is not, only before and after the game (on PC, on Console i dont think there is anything like that.

Kind regards

PS. Also just read this guide my cousin and i made, it teaches you everything you need to know as a beginner (and up to advanced) player.

https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/958/T77WFW6N8U97.pdf

Post edited by xEa on
  • inferjus
    inferjus Member Posts: 479

It's worth to mention prestiging characters gives you bloody piece of skin for character you prestiged, and you can prestige character up to 3 times. It usually goes shirt or weapon, then pants and after that face. So basiacally, you get free skins with prestiging characters.

In bloodwebs of prestiged characters you can find more rare items, which does not have too big impact on the items you get, but is still worth it if you are going to spend a lot of bloodpoints on prestiged character.

• Rattman
    Rattman Member Posts: 1,088

1) You mean flashlight? You can blind killers with it. This can be used to save your teammates while killer picks them up.

2) Some perks belong only to certain characters. You can unlock them in bloodweb for all characters, if you buy teachable, which appears after you level up to lvl 30, 35 and 40. Or you can visit shrine of secrets and buy teachable for shards. Handy, if you don't wanna lvl up certain characters or don't have dlc.

3) Some characters have better teachables than others. But Meg is fine for start.

4) No. You can chat with other survivors before game and with all players at the end, if they didn't dc to this point.

• PistolTimb

Yes, but it is overall pointless for a new player. The bloody skins are usually ugly anyway. It is much better to focus on getting perks than trying to prestige a character early.

• snowflake102
    snowflake102 Member Posts: 2,188

4 i would advise you not to use the chat unless you can handle the salt from other players.

3 yes focus on trapper,or kate.

2 by leveling them up

1 idk

• HellDescent
    HellDescent Member Posts: 4,883

Not sure what to you mean by torch. Lit barrels maybe?

To get teachable you need to level up the character whos teachable you want. They are unlocked at levels 30,35 and 40. Once you buy a teachable from bloodweb, it will appear in a different character's bloodweb(can appear at any level). If you click "character info" you can see teachable perks, which level they are unlocked at and character info, killer's power and stats(if playing killer)

As for who to level up - I'd recommend Claudette, then Meg(if you want to run killer) or Nea(if you want to play stealthy).

There is no in-game voice chat.

• DepressedClownMain
    DepressedClownMain Member Posts: 924

Hey, welcome into the commumity.

First of all, the torch you are referring to is the map addon which allows its user to create a light pillar?

The teachables are perks unlocked on a characters first level 30, 35 and 40. After bought, they will appear randomly on the others bloodwebs.

Yes, you should focus on getting meg to level 40 at least, she is one of the most powerful characters perk wise and a very popular main choice. I would recommend Dwight, Bill or David King after you max her (Laurie if you are spending money in game). These characters have the best perks in game (Dwight has Bond which is a top pick for solo queue).

There is no game chat, but you can play items and perks in the pre game lobby. I am not american but I have met very friendly people that leave their discord in their bio to play together.

Finally, some advice. People will often tell you to level up Claudette and be stealthy, but I would advise you to stay away from her perks and to try as much as you can to be confrontational. Looping is very easy and intuitive on some tiles, others are more complex. I recommend watching Ayrun and Ussylis if you want to get good survivor advice.

• Razovar
    Razovar Member Posts: 16

Thanks a lot everyone.

Torch = flashlight in the UK :)

• twistedmonkey
    twistedmonkey Member Posts: 4,291

Looks like your questions have been answered 😁.

I will add to check out the wiki. It's a great source of info without having to go in game.

Also check out some streamers on twitch.

• inferjus
    inferjus Member Posts: 479

Not if we talk about Claudette with all prestige skins.

And by the way, I like prestige skins. :(

• PistolTimb

Yeah, good point. P3 Claudettes are more invisible than the frickin wraith haha.

• snowflake102
    snowflake102 Member Posts: 2,188
    edited January 2020

trapper is a good starter killer:) and any survivor is good i just said kate because i was in a rush. but any survivor is good. but trapper is a good starter