Why change Ruin without fixing the problem it addresses?

Sorry to break it to you, but nobody runs ruin because of the gatekeeper emblem. People run it because the early game is terribly balanced, and it's the only perk in the game that categorically gives the killer player some form of breathing room to get a hold on the match.

New Ruin is a hex that provides an incredibly minor effect. Double regression would nearly be worth it as a perk, but being a hex means that it will never be run by players. There's no point in a perk that only has an impact in the late game if it will almost never make it to the late game. Look at Huntress Lullaby, it's a far more powerful effect but nobody really runs it because it never lasts long enough to have potential.

Reworking Ruin to do absolutely nothing without actually addressing the issue that literally every player understands; generators go off too fast early game, is just a really bad decision overall. The vast majority is not going to give the slightest care that a post game sticker is a different colour when every single game is made so much more stressful by always being on a 1-2 gen clock.

Comments

• TragicSolitude
    TragicSolitude Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 7,164
    edited January 2020

I played survivor before I ever played killer, and it's so much more chill. All killers should just play the way survivors get to. Have a relaxed game, don't put in a lot of extra effort, and if that means everyone escapes and some of the survivors don't even see the killer once, then who cares? It's not like a lot of us killers want to rank up, anyway.

Don't stress yourself out by caring about sacrifices or even hooks. Then it won't matter if killer perks get nerfed into the ground. Unless they take away the BP boosts from Beast of Prey and Distressing, I'm golden.

• Rivyn
    Rivyn Member Posts: 3,022

I've said it before, it's because it would require them to put in some work. Why do you think they haven't touched maps? It requires them to sit down and work from both sides, survivor and killer. It's easier to just look at what their cash cows, survivors in this case, are complaining about, and go from there.

• arslaN
    arslaN Member Posts: 1,936

After some thinking, I don't think the perk's effect is bad but it will be only really be useful at the late game and hex totems usually don't last long. That seems like a huge design flaw to me, especially considering that most totem spawns are terrible. That being said, I still wouldn't mind this as a seperate perk.

• mike1288mccarthy
    mike1288mccarthy Member Posts: 78

Ruin is the most used useless perk in the game it only affects 1 person. People who can't do skill checks. Sure ruin is a so called meta perk but it's only meta because no one can hit skill checks. If everyone could hit skill checks nobody would run it, unfortunately this doesn't fix the problem of the game today which isn't toolboxes, how fast a gen goes but the efficiency of a swf vs 4 solo players. Ruin in itself isn't meta the type of survivor you go against makes it meta as a survivor main who occasionally plays killer I do run ruin but it's so I don't get gen rushed in 1 minute against a game that's nothing but swf anymore who always have a plan going in

• Endstille
    Endstille Member Posts: 2,246

Dude seriously, you need to understand that ruin did stop extra progression from great skillchecks, you know? That is even when people do not miss skillchecks the generator lasts longer than them sitting on it and hitting great skillchecks with extra progression.

Do you know zubat? Literally has it on every killerbuild.

• NurseMainBTW
    NurseMainBTW Member Posts: 531

New players are not the one to blame for this changes lol.

• MyNamePete
    MyNamePete Member Posts: 1,053

because every survivor is gonna tbag to boost their self esteem

• TragicSolitude

I never stick around after opening the exit gate to see them do it. The only thing they'll get is carpal tunnel.

I've gotten messages from survivors about "I was so bored, why didn't you chase me?" because I wouldn't follow them from one loop to the next. I think if anything their self-esteem took a hit because I cared about them so little I turned and went in the opposite direction.

• imlegion
    imlegion Member Posts: 62

Well hopefully this will go through the ptb first I don’t think ruin needs a change

• Raven014
    Raven014 Member Posts: 4,188

It's a timer. If you get 1, 2 hooks, you're set, it did it's job. None? Waste of a perk slot.

• NoShinyPony
    NoShinyPony Member Posts: 4,570

I'm pretty sure the devs know. The Ruin nerf is simply a change to make survivor players - the major part of the playerbase - happy.

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 16,089

But it works how it should? Instead of playing on somewhat the same Rank when playing SWF, they play vs Red Ranks. Which, surprisingly, use Ruin.

If you are brown and instead of before you face green or maybe yellow or purple (most likely green, when it is an average) you would find way less Ruins. If you get dragged into Red Ranks, not only the Queue Times get longer, but also the use of Ruin is way more frequent.

So yeah, if they would revert the SWF-Change this would probably be good. Killers still get bullied even WITH the change (even tho, many Killers refer to bullying when they simply lose the game...Because, you know, the Powerrole means you have to win all the time)

• HexMoriMeMommy
    HexMoriMeMommy Member Posts: 192

Because fixing a problem would take time and effort and why put that in for a part of the player base that has basically been accepting of whenever survivors decide to ######### all over them.

• anarchy753
    anarchy753 Member Posts: 4,212

I'm sure they'll be very happy when queue times go through the roof. When you take away one of the very few things that keeps the pace of the game bearable for one side, do you really expect them to keep playing?

• Devilseye
    Devilseye Member Posts: 3

Instead of fixing their matchmaking and and addressing how easy it is to make the gens, they completely butcher any kind of balance that existed in high ranks so new players can "win". I never hard an issue with Ruin as a new player. Like this makes absolutely no sense. I'm just quitting the game at this point.

• NoShinyPony
    NoShinyPony Member Posts: 4,570

Not at all, I expect people to play less killer and survivor queues to get longer. It's a short-sighted decision that will most likely backfire.

• HexMoriMeMommy
    HexMoriMeMommy Member Posts: 192

Because ######### the half of the playerbase that also has to take part in the game?

Right, who needs killers who want to have fun?

Naaah, ######### em, they are just killers, they will take this sitting down because they have with literally everything else.

• Lucama
    Lucama Member Posts: 461

Top tier psychological warfare "you're not even worth it for me to bother with".

• illusion
    illusion Member Posts: 887

Which is why I said "if mathmaking was working as it should". You don't nerf a perk because matchmaking is broken, you fix matchmaking. There is a rumor (supposed leak) that they plan to hide ranks during the end of match summary, so you don't know when you are getting screwed by the bad matchmaking system.

Btw, the killers face the same problem, new killers facing red and purple ranks. They need to focus on fixing the actual problems rather than trying to balance around the symptoms.

• TragicSolitude
    edited January 2020

You're not wrong. I started doing it early on when I got into DbD because I realized flashlight clicking and teabagging were strategies on the part of many survivors to get the killer tilted so they'd ignore gens and chase after the designated distraction. So, I did the opposite: I ignored the designated distraction and patrolled gens. This often had a bonus effect of annoying the distraction who would attempt to follow me around, which would pay off for me because they'd end up out of position and become an easy down.

I have more fun surprising survivors and giving them jumpscare moments than I do running in circles around knee-high debris. I like to play as Spirit not to phase in the middle of a chase to catch up to whomever I'm chasing, but to phase in the middle of a chase and surprise the survivor I saw trying to hide out of the corner of my eye. That's fun.

lol thanks. It is a tactic I learned for dealing with teabaggers. It has served me well, because nothing annoys them into doing something stupid like refusing to get tilted at their bait.