The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

You don't understand from a Newbie's point of view

No one wants to do generators, especially lower ranks and new players. We are too afraid to touch generators because killers know exactly where the generators are and the generators are so loud it practically gives our position away (THANKS TECHNICIAN YOU SOLVED NOTHING). We hate being sitting ducks and with Hex:Ruin our motivation to do generators went from 20% to 0% and we end up hating the game, not wanting to play dead by daylight anymore. Hex:Ruin is Toxic to us newbies who can't even hit regular skills check, and with the fluctuation of ranks, we're bound to get a killer who has Hex:Ruin on anyways. Did you know? there are a lot of grey rank killers who have all the perks unlocked, so rank doesn't even matter anyways.

"BUT WHAT ABOUT THE GEN RUSHERS, YOU CLEARLY NEVER PLAYED KILLER BEFORE"

well you see, when a survivor is hooked, all the other newbie survivors will stop doing generators and try to save the hooked person just to end up getting hooked as well, it's a cycle of trying to save but getting hooked instead. If you're getting Gen rushed then it's completely normal, you are not supposed to get 4k every game. You think a killer getting 4 kills in a game is a normal occurrence? you should think again. BVHR actually want new players to play the game and enjoy it, Hex:Ruin just sucks the soul right out of survivors, of course veteran players will argue "why don't you just run the perk small game?" "what are you talking about? hex:ruin gets destroyed by the first minute of the game", yeah but you are forgetting those OTHER GAMES, where newbies are just mad, frustrated, running around the map just to never find a ruin, they don't know the exact spots where ruins would spawn yet.

And aren't you bored of having Hex:ruin on EVERY build when you play as a killer? A newbie is not going to have the HAG unlocked, when you have Hex:ruin on you're always paranoid who's cleansing your Hex:ruin, and when you get your Hex:ruin cleansed within the first 1 minute into the game you get this sense of despair. Is that """FUN""" I rather run around freely getting Gen rush then getting salty the moment my Hex:ruin gets cleansed and tunneling that one survivor who cleansed it

I think BHVR did a right thing for creating a more friendly environment for new players and noobs. It's a lot more fun now that Hex:Ruin will be gone. New players can live freely without the PTSD of Hex:Ruin

Comments

• Fleece
    Fleece Member Posts: 253

When I was new and played survivor I enjoyed the game more because it was scary and seemed to have challenge due to me not knowing about skill checks now it's basically a case of waiting for someone else to get found so I can rush gens.

• princeharlequin
    princeharlequin Member Posts: 58

I genuinely get it and can admit Ruin was “annoying” but part of the fun of being a new player to a game is learning how to play and progressively getting better. While you’re getting better, and starting to improve, you get satisfaction from your progress. You can’t balance a game around brand new players. That’s idiocy. I’d be more than happy to have a perk slot back if there was some sort of balance on the other side to compensate. This change was completely approached only by looking from one side of the game, the newer base of that one side no less. I hope they find a way to balance this prior to launching to live servers.

• voodoo246
    voodoo246 Member Posts: 7

Ruin was easy to counter.

go to a generator -->ruin--> go for totem

go to a generator -->ruin-->repair doing Tbag (or clicking or whatever is said in English)

All we where newbies too and before knowing how to counter ruin, simply we want to learn how to counter ruin, looked some videos and learned it

• bgbomb
    bgbomb Member Posts: 434
  • HellDescent
    HellDescent Member Posts: 4,883

We do. We've all been there. After 2 or 3 games you start to play the game as intended. You shouldn't be facing killers with ruin in grey ranks unless it's a hag. In yellow ranks you'll know possible totem spawns(next to you or the first place killer walks to). Then there's an issue of being face camped every game when caught in grey and yellow ranks. After that when you get to green ranks green ranks you'll be fine

• darktrix
    darktrix Member Posts: 1,790

Point being all survivors play bad when they start, but the game over the years created it's own barrier to keeping them as players, especially if they play solo. Thinking there is an unlimited supply of gamers who are like us and willing to slog through this learning curve to get good (and even if you do there is so much cheese and rng in the game it is maddening) is a mistake.

That said - they have bigger problems to address to attract and keep players for growth. I'm not sure a particular perk was a good path to pursue at this time.

• Archimedes5000
    Archimedes5000 Member Posts: 1,620

You say that " you are scared of gens" and "stop doing gens if someone gets hooked", and this is EXACTLY what new ruin punishes. It makes generators lose progres IMMEDIATELY after you leave it. Skillchecks are also hard for new players, but learning them is necessary. Besides, if you are in white ranks, you shouldnt EVER be able to meet a killer with ruin, its devs fault that it happens. To get ruin, you have to farm 9000 shards, this means around 100 HOURS ingame, because you as also have to get around 1 000 000 bloodpoints to unlock the perk on all killers and another 100 000 to unlock it on a desired killer. The only other way is to get it from Shrine of Secrets for 2000 shards (around 30 hours ingame) but there is small chance of it sppearing. After such long time the killer should easily leave "newb ranks" and not meet new players anymore. But unfortunately matchmaking doesnt work.

So basically nerfing ruin for new players doesnt make sense, because new players shouldnt ever even see ruin, and the ruin nerf actually makes it harder for new surviviors, because passive gen regression is even worse.

New Hex: Ruin paired with STARTING KILLER PERK, Unnerving Presence (and maybe universal perk Distressing), is WAY stronger against new players than old Ruin

• DeathBeam
    DeathBeam Member Posts: 259

A lot of problems would be solved with a far better survivor and killer (for each killer) tutorial and survivors learning as matches go on. Asking to nerf killer perks and killers instead of learning to counterplay to the point very few killers want to play them is not helping.

Many low tier killers need Hex: Ruin because they lack mobility and have no map pressure. Besides many survivors use Dead Hard, Decisive Strike, Adrenalin, Burrowed Time, etc all the time.

• JamieLee2k
    JamieLee2k Member Posts: 100

You say new people like yourself can't hit skill checks yet looking at your activity you have been posting in this forum since Jan 2019 and clearly playing the game,

• Endstille
    Endstille Member Posts: 2,246

So you basicly want a game without any challenge? Do you mind asking me what the point of playing a game is where 2 teams are when one side has to lose if you can not take any challenge at all?

• Xerge
    Xerge Member Posts: 928

We've all been newbies. I used to run small game to go totem hunting until I found ruin.

• Polychrome_Baku
    Polychrome_Baku Member Posts: 404
    edited January 2020

Every single person who plays this game well was a newbie to begin with. Guess what we did? We got good at hitting skill checks. Sounds to me like you want to be rewarded with escape without actually getting better at the game. Okay. Now that Hex ruin is gone, what is going to be your next complaint? Two health states not enough? Will you want double windows back on the killer shack? Old self care? Toolbox buff? Because I guarantee you it won't ######### end here. This constant backsliding, one sided balancing and appealing to weak players like you is why I quit this game in the first place. Remember when people used to take the time to learn a game's mechanics instead of complaining that it doesn't cater to them? Yeah I remember that too.

Oh. And being that I work with veterans who deal with actual PTSD, I don't like it when people use it to describe a ######### game mechanic that requires you to have rudimentary timing. That is so infuriating to me everytime someone does it. I don't care if you didn't mean it as actual PTSD. I don't care if it was hyperbole. Its extremely disrespectful to use a serious mental illness as a fulcrum for your inability to hit a ######### great skill check. ######### you for that.

• edogast
    edogast Member Posts: 148
  • thefallenloser
    thefallenloser Member Posts: 1,276

Ugh... clearly you're a Sairek main. You just wanna balance the game around you, duh...

• Dehitay
    Dehitay Member Posts: 1,725

LMFAO

So putting in effort to learn gameplay mechanics and develop skill makes you a killer main? Or is it the assumption that you should have to do that in order to increase your chances of winning that makes you a killer main?

Lol, all this time, I thought I was a killer main simply cause it was the quicker way to get bloodpoints.

• thefallenloser
    thefallenloser Member Posts: 1,276

Ew! Nasty Sairek main wants game a 60 fps! OP! Suffer on 15-30 like the rest of us!

• Astrian
    Astrian Member Posts: 320

I agree that Ruin needed to be changed simply because new players shouldn't have to deal with an objective skill barrier just so they can play the game normally. However of course, because BHVR doesn't know how to balance, they botched another rework so now the perk doesn't even do it's intended purpose anymore

• Archimedes5000
    Archimedes5000 Member Posts: 1,620

Just fix matchmaking lol

Ruin is behind a paywall, thats good enough protection

• Kimura
    Kimura Member Posts: 40

I can understand this line of thinking, but when I was a newbie and I went up against ruin, I just would either peel away to find the totem or practice hitting the skill checks. I'm 1000% sure I caused some anger to other players by messing up the skill check, but it's a obstacle to overcome,that's why they added hex totems in the first place, to make OP perks that can be turned off. I understand that it's not fun to play against, but eventually you can learn to hit them and then when the killer doesn't have it, you do gens faster. From a killer perspective, I run ruin because any advantage to gen times is essential because I enjoy playing trappers and low mobility characters.That small bit of time it'll save by resetting the gen or just taking away the bonus of greats or maybe that one survivor who goes to clean is it a little bit more time I have to atleast make it across the map to check all the survivor spawns and gens. Generator times are a definite problem. Back when this game was still focused on being horror, they were fine because people were immersed, but as survivors become more optimized doing gens and running loops better, the skill ceiling for survivor has skyrocketed drastically while killer is harder and harder to play. Ruin wasn't good, but the reason 80% of people used it was because gen times are too fast for most killers to keep up with.

• Perelie
    Perelie Member Posts: 433

And you don't under stand from a killer's point of view..

• AvisDeene
    AvisDeene Member Posts: 2,396

New Survivors are supposed to die a lot, not have things handed to them. The point of playing a game like this is to get better with experience. When I started in October, I didn’t complain about Ruin, I just looked for the totem, gen tapped, or powered through it. Now, the only thing that will happen is games will go by faster.

What the devs should have done was to fix matchmaking, so people only face those of similar skill, but if they did that, it would destroy the wait times, which is why they’re going to hide ranks.

• Astrian
    Astrian Member Posts: 320

That's my point though, Gen times, Map sizes are definitely a problem. What I don't agree with is putting up a barrier of skill for people at all levels to do skill checks. Fact of the matter is not everybody is able or even willing to dedicate time to practicing getting great skill checks consistently and they shouldn't be punished for not doing so.

Ruin could've been changed for example to be a flat repair reduction, maybe even like 5% slow just so Ruin serves the purpose it was intended to do without being a pain in the butt to play against.

The problem is BHVR went to Blizzard's school for balancing where instead of adjusting in a healthy manner they just kill whatever thing is strong and then rarely buff

• Carpemortum
    Carpemortum Member Posts: 4,506

The argument doesnt hold water when its spouted from the person with lies.

• AAAAA
    AAAAA Member Posts: 558

Thank you for calling out the PTSD thing. As someone with literal, diagnosed depression, I really don't like the way people make light of serious topics like suicide and #########. Don't say you want to ######### because of the Ruin change or the people who don't like the Ruin change or dropping your toast butter aide down. Mental health is no joke.

• goat10em
    goat10em Member Posts: 749

Ill let you in on a secret .. experienced players don't like doing gens either. It is possibly the single most boring objective of any video game ever made. This is why experienced/good players are called toxic because we would rather run around and act like an ass because it is more fun than holding a button in front of a gen.

When you see this information....new players don't like doing gens, old players don't like doing gens, and when you do the math on gen times and see that if they really want to....they can have them done in an instant and be gone being little affected by your gen pressure.....it sort of points to the idea that maybe gens should be looked into.

• Kimura
    Kimura Member Posts: 40

Yeah, ruin was a problem, it wasn't fun to play against. Its not about going in and practicing skill checks, it's just about playing the game and eventually after time you will be able to hit them, you'll be used to it. My problem is ruin was changed because it was "too powerful" and 80% of killers use it because "the gatekeeper emblem" they don't want to accept that gen times are a problem that ruin, albeit annoying, did help slowdown gens. They don't want to accept most killers need to use ruin to feel like theyre keeping up, they want to act like we're the problem for using ruin, and I feel when you say "players shouldn't be punished for not hitting skill checks" you forget that they're meant to be skillful. Those who are skillful will hit the checks, those who are not will either slowly get better at hitting them, or find ruin and get rid of the perk. The overall problem is BHVR has no clue how to balance a game like this.

• darkki
    darkki Member Posts: 35

Git Gud !

• Trial_By_Scythe
    Trial_By_Scythe Member Posts: 65

The game is so much more newby-friendly than it once was. I've been playing since the day the game released on console, in those days:

.No tutorial

.Survivors didn't have their own perks auto-unlocked

.Blood point offerings offered very little blood points compared to now.

Yes, Ruin is miserable for new players, but you practice. You get better. And if you don't want to bother with Ruin, you look for the totem.

I'm personally a survivor main and even to me this change was not necessary.

• LetsPlayTogether
    LetsPlayTogether Member Posts: 2,117

Its not a problem that they cant understand, its matter of not wanting to accept this circumstances. They who cry about this whole change without any second though just only care for themselves. Just ignore those, they wont change their minds.

• SpaceCoconut
    SpaceCoconut Member Posts: 1,962

EVERY SINGLE VETERAN PLAYER WAS A NEWBIE WHEN THEY STARTED.

With that obvious statement out of the way...

Some people know that through perseverance they can become skilled at a difficult game.

Some people believe that difficult things should be toned down so everyone can enjoy them.

If you can't find enjoyment in improving yourself through practice and challenge then you should play a game that doesn't require it.

The devs seem to be of the mindset that the difficult things in the game shouldn't be difficult... for the Survivor.

Playing Killer is hard mode and you clearly haven't played enough to reach that skill level if you don't understand the impact this change is going to have on the game as a whole if it's implemented without compensation.

I'm a newb survivor and I don't like this ruin change.

The problem of new players going against killers with this perk unlocked or many perks unlocked is a matchmaking problem. Not a balance problem.

This shortsighted change is going to have a strong negative effect on the higher spectrum of skilled play because of what it represents.

Survivor sided gameplay changes.

• DwightOP
    DwightOP Member Posts: 2,328

How old r u, 12? Get your ass up and work on gens. It's a game, u won't die in real life

• Sonzaishinai
    Sonzaishinai Member Posts: 7,976

I think everybody understands why ruin had to change

The truth is nobody likes ruin, it was boring and inconcistent

I think the main reason for the outrage is that the reason why killers used ruin didn't change at all

That and that horrible writen dev note

If toolboxes were nerfed at the same time people would probably be excitted rather then angry