Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

Legit strat or just unsportsmanlike?

So I had all 4 survivors keep going for this 1 Gen they wanted it so bad I ended up downing all 4 at the Gen and hooked 2 let the other 2 bleed out cause no close hooks

Comments

• slaya
    slaya Member Posts: 30

Is you downing all of them unsportsmanlike or them going after the gen, cause for bit of you it’s a legit strat, even if it is unfair

• Fibijean
    Fibijean Member Posts: 8,342
    edited January 2020

It's definitely unsportsmanlike, but the main issue is it's not really much of a strategy either. Letting survivors bleed out isn't really a gameplay tactic, like slugging for example, because it doesn't benefit the killer either. Doing that nets you far less points in both bloodpoints and emblems than sacrificing them on hooks, so in the end, you both lost.

In that situation, I would just pick one up, attempt to carry them to the nearest hook, and if they wiggle out just chase them, down them again and hook them properly. You have time to do that, since it's not like their teammate is going to be doing generators in the meantime. Then go back and do the same thing with their last teammate. You get a lot more points that way, and a more interesting end of the game for everyone involved.

• Hex_KillerMainBTW
    Hex_KillerMainBTW Member Posts: 449

Is it unsportsmanlike? I suppose some people would say so. But at the same time if you know that the killer knows you want this specific gen done and they're downing everyone near it, maybe just don't go for it? As for getting a report for it, I highly doubt it's a reportable offense

• Capaldi
    Capaldi Member Posts: 24

I find this as a legit strat. What the game offers you to do is ok. Letting them bleed out isn't against the rules. For me unsportsmanlike behaviours are the ones that are beyond the game, like verbal harrassment, DC, and other.

• Xerge
    Xerge Member Posts: 928
    edited January 2020

I've had to do this a few times. Tried to lead them to a hook to end the game faster swinging my arm with Hag, but it seemed they would rather bleed to death because they crawled to a corner of the map - I think they didn't want to give me hook and sacrifice points.

• MegaWaffle
    MegaWaffle Member Posts: 4,172

"Letting survivors bleed out isn't a gameplay tactic"

I have to dissagree. As the OP said there were no hooks nearby therfore he highly risked having the survivor get off his shoulder and possible jepordise the rest of the match for him. Seeing as having bleed out was the best course of action to secure his kills he made the tactical choice.

You can say this choice may have been unfun or (arguably) "unsportsmanlike" but to say it held no tactical merit is simply wrong.

Also I can see you are of the mindset that "Points = win" but you need to remember that for some they determine a win by the number of kills they get or even if they "pip" or not. If I was in his situation I would probably go for the kills to because I enjoy preventing escape. While I do enjoy getting chases I will not risk losing a kill so I can gain a few more BP.

• T2K
    T2K Member Posts: 635

I think you played well. They kept going for that gen in your face and you realized that and downed everyone. You didnt hook 2 of them because they could have wiggled out. I wouldnt give them a chance again after they totally missplayed. The survs on the ground could have crawled to a hook but decided to stay there because they knew they could wiggle out. So nothing wrong with let them bleeding out.

It is not unsportsmanlike! All of what you did is legit. They played bad, you capitalized on their mistakes.

• JOBreazy
    JOBreazy Member Posts: 128

Exactly, take away there experience and they will do what it takes to take away from yours.

endless toxic cycle, slugging is not a tactic and body blocking is not a tactic either, they are just toxic ways to fight against the other side.

• JOBreazy

Except your not capitalizing on there mistakes bc your limiting yourself to points and emblems just for the “4k”

• Outland
    Outland Member Posts: 535

Its called smart play. You did the right thing.

They put themselves in the situation. What are you supposed to do, offer free escapes because they made a mistake.

They should treat it as a learning experience. Not unsportsmanlike at all.

Actions have consequences, survivors need to learn it.

• Fibijean
    edited January 2020

That's not actually my mindset at all. I measure winning, as the game rules themselves do, by kills, but I believe that winning is ultimately a means to an end, and serves two primary purposes: firstly, enjoyment/personal satisfaction, and secondly, earning points. Outside of those two things, winning holds no value.

Objectively, OP would have gained more points by engaging more with the game, and personally, in OP's situation, I would have had more fun trying to hook the survivors and getting the kills that way, even if the last one somehow managed to escape out the hatch or something (though if he was able to down all four at a generator, they probably weren't very good, so the chances of their escaping are fairly slim).

Basically, I personally would have gained very little satisfaction or enjoyment from doing nothing and just watching survivors bleed to death, especially since I lost a lot of potential bloodpoints by doing so. I suppose it was an assumption on my part that OP would have similar values, as opposed to their top priority being to make sure all four survivors died by any means possible. So fair enough, if that is what's important to them in a match, then my assessment that it was of no strategic advantage would be inaccurate.

• Accullla
    Accullla Member Posts: 984

In terms of game rules it's not unsportsmanilke, but is it a legit strat? No, it isn't. The survivors are as much to blame as you are, but essentially all of you created a situation where nobody wins.

• All of you wasted your time spent 4 minutes waiting for the 2 survivors to bleed out - you could have spent that time playing the/another game or doing something else.
    • All of you lost out on bloodpoints. You lost out on 2 additional chases, 2 hooks and potentially 2 struggle states, depending on which state the slugs were in. The survivors lost out on 1 additional chase each and potential struggle/wiggle points.
    • You probably all de-ranked (unless this was at the end of the match and all of you had already done enough to pip). This is the game telling you that in a match that one team played against another team, both teams lost.
    • It just sounds so boring
  • Gravewalker200
    Gravewalker200 Member Posts: 451

Reminds me of a recent game vs a pig where my trap was 99ed and i got downed and slugged so I refused to let anyone heal me.

• luka2211
    luka2211 Member Posts: 1,433

Survivors figure there is no hooks quickly so they go into a corner,it is a legit strat.

• Fleece
    Fleece Member Posts: 253

Had it happen on blood Lodge, it's their fault for not going to work on other generators

• Fibijean

It is, but that doesn't seem to be the case in the situation OP is describing.

• T2K

I meant you capitalize on their mistakes and down them. Not talking about point and emblems. Honestly who cares about these? If he would care about it, he would have played it differently

• JOBreazy

Idk about you but i dont play to just win, i mainly play to maximize my game and slugging in that sense doesn’t maximize my games,

plus i play survivor so i know what it is like to be slugged Just to end the game faster.

in my opinion only looking at getting a 4k or escaping is a very selfish way to look at things

• AAAAA
    AAAAA Member Posts: 558

Gotta do whatcha gotta do

• luka2211
    luka2211 Member Posts: 1,433

It could have been if he tried to hook survivors like you said fyi

• T2K

Thanks for your opinion.

I play for fun. I dont care about emblems and bps'. I dont care if I slug or get slugged. same for tunnel and camp. I play for so long now that these kind of things just dont bother me anymore.

I play killer and survivor 30/70 atm. It always changes depending whats more fun for me in the current state of the game.

If you see it that way, totally fine. If someone only enjoys getting 4k or escape its fine for me. I dont think there is a problem with being selfish with setting your own win conditions. And imo and experience its a standard in online games to focus on ones own fun.

• ASpazNamedSteve
    ASpazNamedSteve Member Posts: 1,784

If they were on the ground long enough to bleed out, then to me it sounds like that's exactly what the survivors did.

Up to the survivors if they wanna bleed out or be hooked.

• LordGlint
    LordGlint Member Posts: 8,331

In all fairness, they couldve probably alleviated the problem for themselves by crawling to a hook. I know I've had plenty of similar experiences of survivors that will either crawl to a corner or run to the same spot once they inevitably wiggle out. Due to the stun time and head start the survivor gets when they wiggle out, they can easily run PAST the spot you picked them up before you can M1 them. I had a survivor who kept doing this until I was forced to let them bleed out to end the game.

• goat10em
    goat10em Member Posts: 749

What else could you have done? Play the game of trying to carry them, they wiggle off, and go right back to the same spot so you can't hook them again?

Anyone who plays killer has had this happen. Someone breaks hooks in an area and runs right to that area when they are going to be downed. You have 2 options. Let them lay, or carry them until they wiggle off and what do they do? Go right back to the same spot. Almost asking to be left to lay on the ground.

But yet, you go into a game and you as killer decide the game is going way too fast so you start to slug. Once you get them all slugged what happens? Those damn disconnect emblems start replacing the survivor emblems really quickly. Then you get told that nobody likes to spend the match laying on the ground, git gud etc. So I honestly can't tell if they like laying on the ground and wasting time or not.

• TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 12,871

I love it when I throw a Trapped Survivor with only seconds to live on a hook, knowing that someone will probably go for the save only for the Trapped Survivor to die anyways. :P

• not_Queef
    not_Queef Member Posts: 820

Not unsportsmanlike at all.

It's not your fault they played so poorly. The smart thing to do would be to repair a different gen. They chose their own fate.

• wait4him2leave
    wait4him2leave Member Posts: 118

When this happens I leave the other 3 to get whipped on and go repair a gen in peace. You made a wise play. Nothing unfair about it.

• DrM00se
    DrM00se Member Posts: 12

It’s definitely unsportsmanlike To let them 3 gen themselves. Should have farmed them