DBD has the most toxic community out of any game

I got about 40 hours into the game, im doing pretty well as a killer (Rank 5) and survivor (Rank 8) having fun but after every game the chat is pure toxic spew. If I am a killer its "Oh, you use these perks you're #########?" "You're a tunneler, you are just bad you gotta go for the same person" It's like, if I spot them after they are rescued am I suppose to go.. ok I downed him before better leave him alone and go look for someone else. If I am a survivor I get called back because I loop a killer for a long time. I have ran across way more super toxic people than I have people who just say nothing.

I have played a lot of games in my time, lots of toxic people but this game takes the cake by far. This game should just remove the chat at the end of the game completely and let the angry children punch a wall or something.

Comments

• Aceonfire
    Aceonfire Member Posts: 304

Honestly they probably have already got that ball rolling.

End game chat creates tickets and when things cause them problems and they don't know how to fix them, they hide or remove them from the game.

• djsponge10
    djsponge10 Member Posts: 349

Well I’m a killer main who always gets 3k/4K and I don’t go after people who were just unhooked. Just learn how to play good and not like a dick. Really easy.

• Hypocryte
    Hypocryte Member Posts: 4

I mean, I don't camp at all. If someone get unhooked and just runs away without healing and I run into them I am not gonna ignore them and I am sure you don't either. I have a very limited set of perks since I am still trying to level up lots of characters. Because I ranked up so fast I am playing level 1's and 2's most of the time with fully leveled and the best perks, I have to work with what I got for the time and don't have a luxury of ignoring people because thei feelings might be hurt.

People need to suck it up or go play something else rather than whine.

• ThisLadyRightHere
    ThisLadyRightHere Member Posts: 195

I hate this community with a passion. There’s too many Tunnelers. Campers. Teabaggers. Sandbaggers. Killer Entitlement and Survivors Entitlement. Gotta Escape or Gotta 4K every game. People take this game way to seriously and I just wanna have fun and make points. Bad survivors and Bad killers being carried by Ridiculous perks overload and add-ons aiding them every single game then have the audacity to ######### talk to boost their loser ego. I don’t mind ######### talk if you make a valid point, but people on the game are so blinded and they can’t admit when they play cheap and are boosted. But hey welcome to DBD. Majority of the people here are just shitting in the tall grass.

• djsponge10

Idc about their feelings, I just don’t go for them if I see them I’ll ignore them and look for the unhooker if I can’t find in 10 seconds I’ll just down the unhooked guy and go find someone else because DS 9/10 times I’ll find the unhooked again because survivors are predictable

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,229
    edited January 2020

Haha I said before they need to make it so when you hide your chat, it stays hidden always across all matches, and even if you restart the game or anything, always stays muted. Maybe put it in the options menu too so you don't have to go into a game before you mute chat.

Then, have an icon, a large obvious icon by your name or on the tally screen showing that you have your chat disabled. Because, all those super angry trolly people, when they see they can't troll you there, or on your private steam profile, will literally just boil over and be left to deal with their own issues with themselves. A naturally punishing system.

I know that would actually hurt abusive players more than any temporary ban could.

• djsponge10

Providing pressure on a single survivor let’s 3 survivors have zero pressure while game which creates gen rush for those who are bad enough to have to rely on ruin. Once ruin is changed and you still think tunneling is “efficient” oh man I’ll be waiting for your “why I’m quiting” dbd post. Without rotating and providing constant pressure you’ll get gen rushed. Guess what? Ruin was op, gen times are FINE and survivors are not the power role, UNLESS it’s 4 SWF who all are running Meta perks with toolboxes. Without all of that, killer IS the power role and anyone who thinks otherwise need to learn to “git gud”

• Aura_babyy
    Aura_babyy Member Posts: 583

Nah.

League probably has 5x the playerbase than DBD.

You think this community is toxic? You've never played league of legends lol

• djsponge10

Well if u don’t escape nor 4K the game isn’t fun at all the games been out for over 3 years the dopamine from playing is gone completely for the majority of us. Escaping and 4K’ing is our only fun. I don’t abuse OP perks maybe ruin when I play trapper or I’ll use DS every other game but that’s really it. Except when there is a new killer a rework of a killer or whatever there is no real fun in just playing no more.

• ppo8820
    ppo8820 Member Posts: 763

That’s the biggest issue in this game amongst allllll the other issues. It’s the us vs. them mentality that’s become the norm. Survivors think everything killers do is try hard and toxic, and killers think survivors are babies, toxic, and who devs cater to. This creates a huge rift that is apparent on this forum and in chats.

The best way to fix it is for players to switch it up and play both sides. I was survivor main for 6 months when starting. I’ve switched to killer to get some insight and I see and can relate much more to issues killers being up. It does feel survivor sided a lot of the time if you play killer a lot, but as survivor killers seem op and try hard. Playing both has taken a lot of the anger I had away because I understand each sides view more.

That being said, there’s still toxic players ok both sides and there’s not much you can do.

• premiumRICE
    premiumRICE Member Posts: 798

Seems you didnt play many online games before dbd then

• MegaWaffle
    MegaWaffle Member Posts: 4,172
  • krzak95
    krzak95 Member Posts: 11

I was playing gears a lot and got maybe 10-15 toxic messages,playing fifa a lot,assassins creed multi but in dbd oh my god i think around 100 peoples were ofending me,my family,wishing me death but those peoples are just cowards behind keyboard.

• KamalaGekido
    KamalaGekido Member Posts: 49

Yeah I thought the corner camper's in the new Call of Duty were bad. I genuinely leave DBD in intervals to play THAT rather than this, and that game has people using the most over-powered weapons, sitting in corners, or glitching in a way that you cant see them but they can see you. Oh and T-bagging is much worse on there.. Yeah no I would much rather play that, cause at least there I can even the playing field. I cant do that on DBD anymore cause.. yeah they took away Hex: Ruin.

• Elvenmonk
    Elvenmonk Member Posts: 367

That's objectively false when fortnite, tf2, csgo, wow, ow, cod, bf, and madden exist

• Omg I forgot how bad WoW can be because it's been so long. JFC that game was toxic.

• Elvenmonk

Even go fish on Yahoo games was more toxic than dbd and full of rampant racism

• ALostPuppy
    ALostPuppy Member Posts: 3,398

If the endgame chat is getting to you I somewhat doubt you've played "a lot of games". It's tame as hell compared to a lot of other games, and there's this magical button you can press that hides the endgame chat.

• DBD_Pinhead
    DBD_Pinhead Member Posts: 763

Tunneling is efficient. You incorrectly assume that pressure won't be applied elsewhere. In which case, you apply pressure to the weakest point in order to pressure the rest as soon as the opportunity presents. That's why survivors keep getting 2nd chance perks instead of getting "gud". No one complains when survs tunnel gens. Enjoy the new meta if this Ruin nerf goes live.

• Colton147
    Colton147 Member Posts: 523
    edited January 2020

My last brain cell when I use to play League of Legends:

• Outland
    Outland Member Posts: 535

You play your way superstar and let other people play how they like. No one has to give the survivors all the chances, if you want points you let them go and rehang them later, if you just want to kill, then tunnel until happy.

No need to call people a dick or question their play ability, because they apparently play well enough to down and hang someone.

• Mister_Holdout
    Mister_Holdout Member Posts: 3,144

Overwatch is pretty bad.

• BBQnDemogorgon
    BBQnDemogorgon Member Posts: 3,615

Every game community seems to have a lot of fighting.

I recently realized even the Resident Evil community (a mostly single player game series) has been toxic since RE4 released 15 years ago.

DbD argues over perks/balance, Overwatch argues over team comp/role choice/balance and RE argues over what is and isn't re and how my favorite game is better than your favorite.

A game community where everyone is happy/nice doesn't seem to exist.

• Divinitye9
    Divinitye9 Member Posts: 392

This is why I close the chat box. I don't see what people are saying, I have no reason to be annoyed from comments. I just dodge the whole thing altogether. As far as I am concerned, the four survivors are just little bots that run around and it's my job to play wack-a-mole.

• Elvenmonk

What happened to l4d?

I used to play non stop for years and never had any of that. I think 2014 is when I finally stopped.

• Elk
    Elk Member Posts: 2,267

Overwatch is pretty up there. More than this game in my opinion.

• Deltin
    Deltin Member Posts: 240

or you could play how you want because it's a game with no rules?

• Chmurkaz
    Chmurkaz Member Posts: 52

Welcome to the online games. Where whatever you do people w will always say to ######### or they'll ######### your Mother (yeah literally every multiplayer game) So Just get used to it. The sooner the better.

• KrazyAce13
    KrazyAce13 Member Posts: 330

Not like a dick meaning by survivor standards right. Why must we cater to survivors I mean bhvr don’t pay us so we don’t need to coddle survivors. If someone stays by the hook after being rescued to self care and I find them that’s on them not me being a dick.

• lasombra1979
    lasombra1979 Member Posts: 1,142

A few points about the toxic community of DBD.

1. This game is far from the most toxic gaming community. I know many of you are not old enough to remember, but Diablo 2 had a horrible horrible community of griefers and flat out pricks. Shadowbane was notorious for PVP griefers. I will not even discuss the early days of WoW before Blizzard realized pricks was costing them money and got ban happy.
    2. Annoying does not mean toxic. Please understand the difference.
    3. As long as the person is not breaking a rule, its not toxic.
    4. Someone saying get gud, or the usual stupid stuff said in chat is not toxic.Being rude is not toxic.
    5. If someone is verbally harassing you, making death threats, sexual, racial, ethnical, or homophobic insults, telling you to commit suicide, making direct personal attacks, that is toxic.

Mild rant in short, stop taking comments personal, unless they are actually personal. Someone calling me a camper is not toxic. Someone saying my children should die, yeah thats personal.

• CLAUDETTEINABUSH
    CLAUDETTEINABUSH Member Posts: 2,210

No,we do not!

I come from a ton of games like lol,r6,overwatch, etc.

I can tell you that the community compared to these games are godly,like angels. Try to mess up once or twice in lol,you know what happens? You get flamed to eternity

• UnluckySteve
    UnluckySteve Member Posts: 14

Overwatch? Probably. I was thinking more of Smite. People get angry over every little thing it's not even enjoyable sometimes.

• DBD78
    DBD78 Member Posts: 3,455

Killer vs Survivors, it would be strange if it wasn't. Happy to play on Xbox where I have disabled messages and there is no end game chat, so I have never heard anything from anyone 😃 Only read about toxic community here but I believe you.

• FearlessHunter
    FearlessHunter Member Posts: 530
    edited January 2020

Overwatch is worse IMO. All it takes is for someone to choose someone else's main and the other player will be like "OMG I'm better at soldier than you, I'm throwing cause we've already lost"

One of the main reasons why I left that game. The other being lack of content.

• venom12784
    venom12784 Member Posts: 666

Friday I got 5 messages from 5 different games that where toxic. One where they said I was going to be reported for body the hook so a survivor couldn't get the unhook

• Hoodied
    Hoodied Member Posts: 13,019

Rainbow Six definitely is the most toxic

They had to add filters on what you can say in the chat

• Watery
    Watery Member Posts: 1,167

League, CSGO, Overwatch... many games have a toxic community these days. It’s a bit sad to say, but this isn’t anything new. You just see it more since the game doesn’t have that big of a forum community as other forums (see OW forums).

• EJmurdermain
    EJmurdermain Member Posts: 109

Lol yeah but it sounds like you don't play fighting games, or FPS that is darkness itself.

• LunarFace
    LunarFace Member Posts: 44
    edited January 2020

yesterday someone said to me "lunar the f*ggot k*ll yourself irl"

oof

• Creepingcam1070
    Creepingcam1070 Member Posts: 330

If you think DBD is bad with toxicity, you should have seen the game chats in Modern Warfare 2 back in the day.

• Gamer29
    Gamer29 Member Posts: 26

No, you just sound like one of those entitled toxic survivors 🖕🏻

• kcwolf1975
    kcwolf1975 Member Posts: 651

This is pretty much the only online game i play, so I can't talk about other games, but I don't think dbd is that horrible. I just don't get how some people get so tilted about seeing a survivor bouncing up and down. As far as messaging goes, I get more positive (gg's) than negative. There will always be the extreme dbags, but i am sure there are those types of people in every game.

• Ardjet
    Ardjet Member Posts: 85

I don't think DbD is especially toxic compared to any other online game. They're all bad. However, what probably contributes a lot to a stronger feeling of hostility in this game is the fact that it's asymmetrical and a lot of people only play one side.

I don't think it's a coincidence that all the nice people I've met playing this game are the ones with about equal experience from both sides. It's common sense really, as it gives you more perspective.

• 2LuvRias
    2LuvRias Member Posts: 352
    edited February 2020

Personally I think either Rainbow Six Seige or Overwatch has a more toxic community. On DBD sure people are toxic but that's every other game. On Seige or Overwatch every Game I join has at least 1 toxic person