Behaviour is okay with racism?

then4321
then4321 Member Posts: 234
edited November 2019 in General Discussions

Apparently, DBD's in game post chat is a safe place for racist hate speech.

In post game chat, a player called me a "#########" <--- N word. I reported it and did NOT receive a follow-up email.

5 or 6 days later, the player is in my match which I find odd, because I assumed Behaviour took racism seriously.

I send in another report asking why this person hasn't been banned. While I'm doing this, in the post game chat this person is calling me "this #########" <---- N word, to the other players.

I took a screenshot and sent in another report. This should solidify, undeniably, that this person's racist attitude and hate speech will not stop and must be permanently banned.

This is what the dev's sent me...

Hello, 

Thank you for letting us know about this. We are sorry to hear that other players are ruining your experience. 

As much as we would like to help, I am afraid that we are unable to as we only handle support towards in-game concerns. Only our moderation team can examine and check these submissions further, and I am sad to say that we do not have the means to redirect this request directly to them. 

In order for them to be able to receive your report, please select "Additional player report information" as your issue when submitting a request using the Dead by Daylight Help Center. Once you have done this, they will leave a message on the ticket and will start investigating your report. 

As always, thank you for your understanding and cooperation. If you have other concerns, please let us know and we'll be happy to help. 

Stay safe out there... 

The Dead by Daylight Team

I took the steps they told me to take and I'm disturbed to report they have not responded to me, nor has that person been banned...

So, is Behaviour okay with racism?

I can't answer that, but with black people being targeted and murdered by white supremacist, I thought Behaviour would take racism a little more seriously.

This post will be deleted when that player is permanently banned.

Thank you for your attention.

Post edited by then4321 on

Comments

• YaiPa
    YaiPa Member Posts: 1,929

I mean, for how modern day world works, you have to be the most politically correct, i highly doubt it (and of course racism is not ok).

The reason they don’t ban is because the report system is basically useless (they can come up with how many stats they want, but most of the bans are due to legacy cheating).

• Zixology
    Zixology Member Posts: 1,062

Ever look at a game case? Specifically games that offer online play involving some means of communication.

They say "online interactions not rated" for a reason.

People are people. Words are words. You don't have to like them all. If someone says something you don't like, you can leave the post game chat. Nobody is forcing you to stay and read what they have to say.

Do not blame the Devs over the "actions" of other people. Especially when those "actions" are just mere words.

• Exerlin
    Exerlin Member Posts: 1,352

They do ban people for using slurs like that in post-game chat. You just need to use the in-game report function, and it'll save the chat log and the player's ID and attach that information to the report. Sounds like you used their website to report it, and I don't think that's ever been the way to report in-game hate speech.

• cripplemagic
    cripplemagic Member Posts: 28

I'm so sorry a random person on the internet that you have never met before and will likely never know who he is said a mean word to you. Thank you for spending upward 5 minutes complaining about it on the forums to virtue signal to no one. Dont force developers to waste time on things that dont matter to gameplay. Hopefully than they can make the patch happen on switch instead.

• Guertena
    Guertena Member Posts: 392

today a guy called on of my teammates this word too but in spanish, i reported but this game should have a instant feedback report so we guarantee they got punished

• csandman1977
    csandman1977 Member Posts: 2,358

Heres what I've learned in my 45 years of socail interaction on this planet. Words only have the power you give them. (Putting aside musical chants which have been proven to affect the brain)

If i took offense every single time someone called me a name, i wouldnt have internet and i wouldnt leave my house. Ever. I learned early to grow a thick skin because i hated to feel bad all the time.

Anonymous people are like children, cruel for no reason. Who cares what they say or think.

No im not excusing it. Just block it out. Yout life will be so much more rewarding.

• RIP_Legion
    RIP_Legion Member Posts: 428

Ngl bro it's just a word, it ain't a big deal. Way more ways to be toxic in this game aside from just calling someone the n word and honestly you can just move on to the next match and you'll end up forgetting it in another hour as if it never happened, there's a reason I don't pay attention to the post game chat unless I want to see someone I know is salty.

• cripplemagic
    cripplemagic Member Posts: 28

So, therefore its up to random canadian Devs to implement and go through probably 100s of reports of people saying mean because a person could have emotional attachments to words... What a waste of time and resources that has little to no return on investment. MOST people are emotionally stable enough to handle a few words if they are playing a game where people ARE LITERALLY MURDERED IN FRONT OF YOU WITH RUSTY WEAPONS. So your main line of argument is that a few words are more harmful to you physically and mentally than seeing deranged killers murdering helpless men and women. Your priorities are not right.

• Exerlin

I mean, yeah. That's what they should do if they want to entertain the most amount of people possible. I think it's pretty safe to say that more people are negatively impacted by ######### using slurs than people are positively impacted by being said #########.

• then4321
  • AGuyNamedKane
    AGuyNamedKane Member Posts: 71
    edited November 2019

Just ignore them. That's what I do. People like that are intentionally trying to make you mad, so don't let them. That's why they do that trash.

Edit: Not saying that this kind of behavior is acceptable in any way, but it seems like all you can really do is wait for BHVR to respond to your ticket. Sucks, but that's life.

• MuteNewt
    MuteNewt Member Posts: 234

The person has probably been warned with a soft ban first and foremost. This would most likely scare the person into behaving proper from there on in. Sometimes it has no effect at all. It depends on the individual. I assume you are upset because you havent seen a red game ban on his profile yet?

This wont happen I feel until 3 soft bans have been applied. You wont see a soft ban been marked on a persons account. Im sure this player has been punished with a soft ban warning.

• Exerlin

Oh, you never get any sort of feedback from those. I'm willing to bet that was either his first offense (which is why you saw him a bit later), or your report hasn't been gotten to yet and he's about to get a pretty big punishment. I know that they used to ban DCers in waves, and they might do the same for people like this. This might be a good question to ask a mod like @MandyTalk though

• then4321

Thank you for your concern and feedback. I read the banning time steps that are taken before it is made permanent.

I hope that, even if the first ban wasn't activated, the second instance of hate speech will be taken into consideration.

• Endstille
    Endstille Member Posts: 2,246

Just wow, I can't believe that there are people who advocate to ignore racism. The internet is not an unlawful space.

@then4321

It is sad to read that, I received the same email for reporting death threats made against me and my family with actually people explaining that they visit the country I live in frequently and how they will hunt me down etc... i looked the player up a few months later, no game ban on the profile or anything so I guess the person didn't reach his threshold yet disappointing to say the least.

• then4321

It really is amazing. I am shocked how many people have commented, basically "who cares?"

• then4321
  • Angelicus23
    Angelicus23 Member Posts: 2,547

I once beated a streamer whilr I was playing survivor and after calling me lagswitcher (yes, as survivor) he started to throw all kinds of insults refering to europeans because aparently americans are a superior race. The things he said were not normal, were too many insults and he even kept comenting in my profile. I reported this in-game and by ticket and the guy is still streaming dbd and he never had a ban.

• knell
    knell Member Posts: 595

Some people apparently would much rather tell the victims to stop being victims than perpetrators to stop being perpetrators. Much like telling how ######### victims should have acted, what they should have done, or how they should feel about it than simply condemning the rapists.

• Angelicus23
    Angelicus23 Member Posts: 2,547

For the next days I revised his steam profile and watched his streams and nothing happened to him apparently. I got a similar answer from behaviour as the creator of this thread.

• Gcarrara
    Gcarrara Member Posts: 2,263
    edited November 2019

Ok guys, we're going way too far here... Remember to keep discussions civil!

To recap: Racism along other offences are taken seriously by the devs and us. There is a full team of ACM that take care of the reports made ingame. You can read about all the reportable offenses in this thread:

You can see there that for most of these offenses, an ingame report is MANDATORY. So please if you face some of these, take the time to report. ?️

You'll not have a feedback for your reports, especially on the offenses that will cause a temporary ban, so it is misleading to assume that nothing is being done on these.

We are sorry to see that some users have to face these kind of behavior on a post-game chat, and we always strive for a better and positive environment, but we need your help to report people ingame that disrupt the community with threats and harassments.

This discussion has been closed.