unwritten rule?. when there is a DC you have to let the last survivor go?

so i was playing killer and there was a DC early . but they managed to finish all the gens. i killed 2 and then the last one was at the exit and i grabbed him at the switch and hooked him. . He starts saying there was an unwritten rule that when there is a DC you should let the sole survivor go. is this true?

Comments

• asergioam
    asergioam Member Posts: 363
    edited November 2019

No, there is no such thing as unwritten rules. Many killers do it and that's why I always ignore the killer when i'm the last survivor in that situation and let him decide, I go for the door and try my luck. If he allows, I get out and if he doesn't, I'm probably dead anyway so I don't care. Some people just think that because some do it, everyone has to....

• will_i_am_14_85
    will_i_am_14_85 Member Posts: 489

No rules, it all comes down to the killer, I have seen plenty of killers give last person hatch/escape when there is a DC, others will just try to kill everyone. Salty, perhaps, but just think that with an early DC the chances of the survivors winning take a steep fall, as the game was designed for a 4 vs 1, not a 3 vs 1.

• Carlosylu
    Carlosylu Member Posts: 2,948

No, it's your pick, you're the killer, what I do is:

1 DC = I give one gen free of chase to the survivors

2 DC = Farm or 1 free of chase escape

3 DC = Farm

4 DC = Damn, I'm that good?

• DeKillerKiller
    DeKillerKiller Member Posts: 547

I just go like this:

If 2 or 3 survivors disconnect at the beginning of the match, I will go and farm with the others.

If 1 survivor disconnects, I'll still play normally.

If any survivor disconnects during the mid to endgame, I will still play normally. I'll consider it a kill and move on.

• twistedmonkey
    twistedmonkey Member Posts: 4,291

The only rules that apply in any match is your own.

It's your game to play as you wish. Play and have fun, kill or let some go, use what perks or add-ons you wish, use what ever strats you wish and never listen to those that say it was wrong.

• Rin_is_my_waifu
    Rin_is_my_waifu Member Posts: 963

I never let anyone go. Even if 3 of them DC

• Almo
    Almo Member, Dev Posts: 1,120

I've let 4 people go in about 850 hours of play. Those were cases where it looked like a solo Survivor caught in a 3-person SWF who were playing in a really unpleasant manner, causing them to be the last one standing with no real chance of escape.

As for "rules", one of DbD's great strengths is "player agency". Killer plays how they want, Survivors play how they want.

• It depends for me. Though lately the post game lobby abuse has been ticking me off so bad I may stop even doing this but....

Generally if someone DCs when they were getting downed or hooked, especially if I know they are playing with folks still in the game- no way am I letting someone go. However if they lose one person right off the hop, that isn't the case, I still play but if I end up curb stomping them fairly easily I let one go. If I really get the run around and they get the gates open I try right to the end and I let them know I really tried- they will feel a lot more empowered knowing they made it out at a disadvantage when the killer was still trying to kill them.

Sometimes if a match feels way too one sided, even without a DC if someone dies immediately almost and I mow through the rest, or if I have a mori and killed 3 people already.... I will drop the last person and carry them to hatch so they know I could have killed them, but I feel I owe something back at that point because of unfair matchmaker issues/Mori being kinda stronk.

• Kenshin
    Kenshin Member Posts: 912

you can find all the rules for killers in this book. enjoy reading it.

• Saitamfed
    Saitamfed Member Posts: 1,620

Well, there are not really rules. If the match is starting and spot a survivor then I chase him and hit him, but after that I let him go, it's not his fault that RNG placed him in front of me. Of course, sometimes I got angry because I let them go and get the "ez killer" comments from them.

Of course, I do realize that I am not a good killer and that I make a lot of mistakes but I try to treat another players the way I like to be treated when I am playing.

• Awakey
    Awakey Member Posts: 3,145

I only ever start farming if there are 2-3 DCs.

• Zerog
    Zerog Member Posts: 27

I always tell fellow killers this: Dont follow the official survivor rule book for killers, play how you think its the most efficient in your current situation, this includes tunneling and camping if you need make a come back. Youre not responsible for survivors enjoyment of the game

• Pirate
    Pirate Member Posts: 427

I had a survivor playing how he wanted yesterday, he run infinites on hadonfield NON-stop! I am aware of this exploit and I am also using balanced landing on my survivor BUT I dont abuse this spot under any circumstances!!! This is a NON written rule, because we are a community that are playing a NOT PERFECT and not balanced game, so we need rules but more importantly good manersand RESPECT for each other!!! If you as a Dev say that there are no selfmade "rules" then fix your game in the first place.