Survivors have nothing but perks?

Is it just me or weird that no matter what survivor you get, they just become a shell and have literally nothing to offer but "maybe" 4 perks? New killer pops out has some charge, teleport, one hit down ability, new survivor comes and has maybe 4 perks with the exclusion of bill who hijacked current unassigned perks and nothing. Why isn't some things locked to certain survivors like killers? Ghost face can mark then wham one hit, Mikey stalks and one hit a bunch of folks in a timer or even kill them to boot, etc etc.. That's stupid rad that killers have such amazing bases but then survivors? I buy ash and I got a shell who's big and loud and can't hide behind claudette to save his life. Literally nothing to offer so everyone runs to claudette etc to hide out. No speed boosts, no being better at a Gen or healing or literally anything. What am I missing here other than survivors are meant to be skill based pick your favorite shell and killers are skill based but change between and have some easily no skill needed features like tombstone Mike? Why can't claudette do some amazing wonder heal or ash have some ability to kick the killer back since he's literally a dead fighter or some picking hatch locks on a timer like gens etc?

?

Comments

• Seanzu
    Seanzu Member Posts: 7,526

That face mask he got is so dope tbh, I run it with the homeless jake jacket & pants from the rift.

• FearedbytheGods
    FearedbytheGods Member Posts: 476

Not going to disagree with your points but just say that this has been a 'thing' since release. And why survivors in particular have been asking for different game modes etc. Because the reality is that survivors are just reskins, there's nothing unique about them and its funny that they list different survivors as easy/hard etc in the character select screen, given they all end up the same.

In addition to your point:

I remember reading a thread once on the DBD reddit years ago. Killers were complaining about how they had no variety relative to survivor, how they were stuck using the same perks relative to survivor etc. Without any insight into how killers play different and perks should enhance that different play style etc. Compare to survivor which is just a reskin.

What was also fascinating is the echo room that existed in that place and how a rationale point in favour of survivors would get downvoted while a post that amounted to nothing more than 'salty survivors' would get upvoted to infinity and beyond!

It's been interesting to see how that translates here, where someone can't auto downvote and is stuck ignoring you or TRYING to argue on the merits of an argument. But coming from that bubble, well, they can't argue basically and I suspect they swapped the downvote for the report feature. lol

• StrickxNyne
    StrickxNyne Member Posts: 230

It's weird to me that any killer I pick can be a totally different game, I could go through and ruin everyone right away with wraith or spirit, use pig or doctor and accidentally take the entire game hostage forcing skill checks to not be insane or pull head traps off, get dookied all over with huntress with no Aimer and yup I'm horrid with her, and so on but survivor, I'm awful ill admit it, I log in pick some perks, do a Gen, get hooked and die or run for a hatch or door, nothing unique other than I can be a certain type of girl or boy.

It made more sense for nea to not make as much noise when hurt or breathing loud when running and probably run faster, that's kind of her story or whatever. Claudette is known for healing and instead she's used for stealth because all maps but three maybe are insanely dark so she can just stand still and the killer has lost her. I dunno, personally I love ash and expected something, the trash talk in lobby was a grade A choice but maybe move that over in game? Killer hits you and he says something cheesy if he's not going to fight back. There's changes eaxh could have that wouldn't affect game play much.

Idk it's not my game and I'm not the Dev and I don't pay you guys for my feedback, just kinda weird and wasn't sure. I appreciate the killers being different from playing killer side and also survivor. I enjoy the coming around the corner and having one stare at me, scares me and I've probably thrown the controller a few times, not mad but jump scared lol. Survivor just seems kinda boring after a couple months of playing with pretty shells, doesn't feel like there's anymore challenges to go on for anymore. Maybe time to log some killer hours?

• anarchy753
    anarchy753 Member Posts: 4,212
    edited December 2019

Survivors only bring 3 perks each, not sure where this "4 at most" is coming from, unless you're considering that some perks make others that aren't used more viable.

I like that survivors are only skins once their teachables are unlocked. It means I can pick who I like and know that I'm not missing out on something. We already have a meta of characters like Claudette and Ace because of small effects that give them an edge, we don't need that to be a tangible numerical bonus that makes some characters indisputably better than others. Even if it's by a marginal amount, Meg running faster or Dwight repairing faster would easily make them stronger than anything else.

Also, consider that when a new killer exists, that's a whole new style of play for survivors to go against. Part of what defines their gameplay is what they're playing against which adds to their experience too.

Post edited by anarchy753 on
  • StrickxNyne

Survivors and killers both bring 4 perks to each game

• StrickxNyne

Then you didn't read at all. I play it and it takes no skill compared to most other killers. This thread is my opinion on playing them, you can find it challenging 👌

• StrickxNyne

What is the new play style for survivor? Do we push a new button, slam a pallet differently, flick a flashlight differently, do a Gen different? I mean year ghost face introduced covering gens when he picked someone up so if you weren't touching a gen you're not for a couple of seconds but is it that different that it's game changing? Not at all. Picking a different killer game changing yes, thanks for helping the point of my post along though. It needed more comments to argue rather than help figure out what's going on.

• Waffleyumboy
    Waffleyumboy Member Posts: 7,318

Stay tuned

• StrickxNyne

I mean that's the current system. While yes I like Ash so bringing BT, DS etc over, not slowing gens because I'm not X, slowing healing because I'm not X makes so much more sense. Besides it'd fix what a ton already beg to be fixed. One boosts healing that's 2 not on gens. One runs faster, killers don't chase that God looper but now they suffer in other aspects.

Gimme some skill points to spend. Lemme choose do I pull the slider up on speed running and lose speed on a Gen, do I pull up speed on Gen but I couldn't run to save my life form a turtle? Why not?

• gaymer504
    gaymer504 Member Posts: 40

This will never happen, but I love the idea nonetheless.

• FJSJ_Lunar
    FJSJ_Lunar Member Posts: 230

i dont see why not. its not like youd have custom perks. just gimme the ability to make my own character RPG style. i wanna make a fat troll surv with a dainty voice. tis my dream.

• Primalux135
    Primalux135 Member Posts: 1,045

Do you want game becomes a camping simulator like identity V? On that game survivors do have powers and it's gamebreaking.

• Primalux135
    Primalux135 Member Posts: 1,045

Lets see pal if killer doesn't have power and are just like survivors this game would be a M1 simulator for both sides. Cuz survivors would need to press M1 far longer to compensate the lack of power to end chases

• RandomHyperBeast
    RandomHyperBeast Member Posts: 35

Broski that is the point. They have different abilities depending on play style. Do you just want to have no ability and just a shell for perks like survivors? In that case the game would be so survivor sided. It's kinda just 1v1 except one side is 4 perks and the other is 16 perks that can be in 4 different places at once. Sounds a little over powered

• Sonzaishinai
    Sonzaishinai Member Posts: 7,976

Head of claudette, body of shirthless david and short shorts of feng

• Accullla
    Accullla Member Posts: 984
  • Liruliniel
    Liruliniel Member Posts: 3,047
  • Cayde1342
    Cayde1342 Member Posts: 96
  • oxygen
    oxygen Member Posts: 3,309

I'd rather not.

No matter how well balanced they did it, one survivor would be the "meta" pick and you'd see them way more than everyone else. I'd rather not go back to when there were hordes of p3 Claudettes because there wasn't as many fun cosmetics and it was "the best choice".

• DetailedDetriment
    DetailedDetriment Member Posts: 2,632

It would be really cool to see survivors obtain passive buffs, but it would be extremely difficult to balance.

Here are some cool passive effects for some of the survivors though:

Dwight: Intoxicated - Dwight will randomly pass out and teleport to random locations furthest from the killer. He will wake up in the healthy state with all status effects cured.

Meg: Tip-Top-Shape - Has a permanent speed boost of 1/2/3%

Claudette: Botany Knowledge...

Jake: Grease Monkey - Jake has the ability to sabotage Pig traps making it easier for survivors to remove the reverse bear-trap upon their head.

Nea: Balanced Landing.... (Stagger stays at 75% and noise reduction is 50/75/100%. No Sprint Burst.)

Ace: Chest searches provide more valuable loot.

Feng: Red Bull Enthusiast (not really) - The exhausted status effect lasts for 3/4/5 seconds less than normal.

All of these effects are upgradable throughout their three tiers.

• Knots
    Knots Member Posts: 49

1. Bill do not "hijack" unassigned perks - they were always Bill's perks, you just didn't have Bill on your platform so BHVR left them unassigned while he wasn't available to you.

2. I agree with the sentiment. The game would be much more interesting to me if survivors were stuck with some or all of their perks. I think it would solve a lot of game balance issues - even if not immediately, BHVR could start balancing perks around which ones can get used together based on availability to their specific survivor. Lots of perks would need to be buffed or changed to make most survivors viable but in the end it would definitely be for the best.

• FriendlyGuy
    FriendlyGuy Member Posts: 2,768

Rank? Just asking, because you are very likely to get a 4man escape on r1 with that build. xD

• PalletsAndHooks
    PalletsAndHooks Member Posts: 989

The survivor class enjoys basic and intermediate mobility options, coupled with perks that otherwise augment certain play styles.

A fun option to broaden the mindset of survivor play is a limited, adept-only play mode. A mode that keeps unique perk set with their respective survivor. It would be a complimenting contrast to KYF, and would flesh out more comprehension behind the less used and less popular perks, the way they were meant to be played with their original survivor set.

• snozer
    snozer Member Posts: 776

You can't give survivors special abilities as everyone will just play the op one, we already see this with claudette because she is black, and the maps are dark.

• PalletsAndHooks
    PalletsAndHooks Member Posts: 989

Passives would be really neat, but it would likely break the game and make it very difficult to balance.

• Doing_gens_wbu
    Doing_gens_wbu Member Posts: 61

I believe they are talking about their personal perks. They come with their own 3 "personal perks" that defines them.

• Doing_gens_wbu
    Doing_gens_wbu Member Posts: 61
    edited December 2019

Giving passives would be cool and all, but it would be a horror to balance. lackluster gameplay due to seeing only that survivor and of course. Having meta picks. What I would like to see is a class system. To help better define the perks and/or roles of survivors. Claudette is the "medic" due to all her medic abilities. While someone like David and Meg are "runners" that give them the edge in chases. Upon choosing 3 or so perks that are defined such as runners, medics (unhookers and healing those injured), hiders (as in hiding their aura), fixers, and saviors (flashlight blinders, body blockers, unhookers. Difference is that they don't have healing bonus if anything they turn the chase from you to them). You can then add a banner next to your character during the queue phase to emphasize your playstyle so that others know as well.

• Go_Go_Roboto
    Go_Go_Roboto Member Posts: 330

All survivors have different body types and breathing and pain sounds. They are different in this way. Bill is large and loud asf while Claudette is more medium in sound but small and has good camouflage clothes and her skin is darker( which makes hiding/losing chase all that much easier). While they all can share perks with no special power, these things matter.

PS. Meg is loud asf. Never try to stealth with her. Unless you have iron will lol

• LOA
    LOA Member Posts: 235

They do all have audible differences. Some of them are quite quiet when they walk, others don't make as much noise when they use their voices. Jeff and Jane are very loud, so is Meg, while Feng and Ace are quiet little mouses.

• Swiftblade131
    Swiftblade131 Member Posts: 2,050
    edited December 2019

Reasons I think survivor is bland. No reason to prestige all of them. I got all of them to lvl 50 and then maxed out 1 of them that I like to play, and that's that.

I like killer more cause they are unique. Survivor is the same thing different day. And lately, I have not bough the new survivors for their perks, cause they are just bad, or to specific to use and there is better. Same goes for killers as far as perks go, but at least they are more or less unique in their own right.

I have not played in a while. The game got kind of boring. And I see there is a Billy 2.0 out now. So that's cool I guess...

I thought Billy would own the "Yeet into the fray" thing for a bit longer than this... Guess not.

• Almo
    Almo Member, Dev Posts: 1,120

Yes. Look at Killers in classic horror films. They are the thing that is different from film to film, and the victims are often interchangable across films, fitting into common stereotypes.

• Pepsidot
    Pepsidot Member Posts: 1,662

It's fine as it is because if survivors had a unique passive benefit, we'd see the same survivors every game. Players will eventually find that one or 2 survivors that have the 'meta' or best passive benefits and only play them.

• Skywclu
    Skywclu Member Posts: 43

I get that, but it would be cool if like Meg had a bit faster running speed, Claudette could heal like 5% faster, and so on and so forth for other survivors. Just my opinion, but I think that would be cool. Still I understand.

• ppo8820
    ppo8820 Member Posts: 763

The game isn’t balanced at all. The killers are all op on ranks outside red. You can be a rank 18 billy and get 4ks every game without breaking a sweat.

The big money makers for dbd are the licensed killers. They want those to be played and purchased. The game is designed to have 4 pawns for the killer to chase and kill, who cannot fight back or even run away for extended periods of time. Killers like it easy so they’ll defend this with vigor as seen in this post.

The game is very killer sided. Red ranks is only when survivors have gotten so good they can finally give the killer a hard time back. Killers don’t like this obviously

• DWolfAlpha
    DWolfAlpha Member Posts: 927

I mean, Ash Williams kills demons and was a general in a medieval army. Bill is from L4D, and was in the special forces. Freddy Krueger is defeated in nearly every movie. Arnold Schwarzenegger from Predator is an obvious stand out. There's usually at least one or two characters in classic horror films that stand out, and they're usually the main character.

Ik it can be a balancing issue, but I just wish that each survivor had something, even barely noticeable, that they could do just slightly better than everyone else. Even if it's just something based on what their unique perks are. Like a 1% faster Sprint, heal, vaulting speed. They could even have a 1% penalty to something else for balance. It could even be a feature for an alternate game mode instead of directly integrated, where it doesn't effect rank or challenges.

• PrissyCoyote
    PrissyCoyote Member Posts: 10

I still would be nice to have a small benefit depending on character. Dwight does gens slightly faster, meg runs faster, claudette heals faster, jake sabotages faster, nea crouches faster, just the small benefit depending upon their perks and what others do.

• Satelit
    Satelit Member Posts: 1,377

Jane and Jeff really need their volume decreased in general

also can Jane not sound like she enjoys getting hit,girl you're getting chased by a killer calm yourself

• Nurses_Calling
    Nurses_Calling Member Posts: 11

I just patiently wait for them to be available in the shrine 🤷‍♂️

• yoi
    yoi Member Posts: 338
    edited December 2019

survivors have god loops with 0 counterplay wich are the most interactive thing in the game, dont you think is enough? btw if u want taht go and play identity V or should i say bully the killer V.

• LOA
    LOA Member Posts: 235

You are supposed to mentally take on the persona of the survivor you are playing. Dwight hides, Claudette heals and hides, Meg is annoying and runs alot, Jake is a sneaky bastard....Roleplay a little bit. Have some fun.

• StrickxNyne

Games pretty fun tbh lol. My kids play identity v and I've played quite a bit with them. Being able to toss a snowball at the killer makes it that much more fun.

• StrickxNyne

I don't play a lot of killer and I'm not great so a rank 7. I don't really have a ton of time to invest in the game but I guess if I could find a way to make it more fun I would lol