The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Where can I apply to become a mod?

13»

Comments

• ChesterTheMolester
    ChesterTheMolester Member Posts: 2,771
    edited August 2018
    Tsulan said:
    powerbats said:

Well this thread died quickly, long live the mod discussion !!!!! :p

Indeed. The interest in becoming a mod died quickly. Strange... 
    Threads die quickly when asked to stay on topic in my experience but besides, i don't want to be a mod, not that i think i'd do a horrible job.

I just enjoy being a clown on this forum once in a while.

Speaking of Clowns, where is the clown profile picture? Its been months.
  • Tsulan
    Tsulan Member Posts: 15,095
    Tsulan said:
    powerbats said:

Threads die quickly when asked to stay on topic in my experience but besides, i don't want to be a mod, not that i think i'd do a horrible job.

Devs stick to it. No clowns!
  • ChesterTheMolester
    edited August 2018
    Tsulan said:
    Tsulan said:
    powerbats said:

Devs stick to it. No clowns!
    To late, enjoy the gas.

Oh and we're off topic again.
  • powerbats
    powerbats Member Posts: 7,068

@ChesterTheMolester said:
    Tsulan said:

powerbats said:

I agree with the being a clown once in awhile is nice and the mods are really sneaky since if no one noticed what happened.

• finitethrills
    finitethrills Member Posts: 617
    popoles said:
    Tsulan said:
    Lowbei said:

On their website it says to send your resume to lowbei@gmail.com

best of luck im rooting for you!

srsly tho im interested in your qualifications
    I speak English, Spanish, German, Catalan and have a degree in International Trade.
    I speak Czech, English and German. Can I join this multilanguage party?
    Ahoj
  • pauloandrade22
    pauloandrade22 Member Posts: 697

@not_Queen said:
    We are going to open more Moderator position SoonTM!
    There are a lot of changes incoming in the Community team and adding more Mods is part of it!

Stay tuned! (it will be announced on the forums!)

I want to apply too.

• JammyJewels
    JammyJewels Member Posts: 611
    I'm a bit late to bring this up but being sassy as a moderator or someone similarly positioned can have other posters perceive sassiness as something else. For example:

During the 'Clowning' around regarding the PlayStation certification process of 2018, there were posts asking for compensation. The true OG, @not_Queen , shut the thread down like a Tier 3 Tombstone Myers with only one gen repaired. But then there were threads following this up saying that it was just another display of the Developers not caring about the community. But hey, unnecessary counterpoint, but people didn't seem to care for @not_Queen and her want to detach her work from her personal life yet people harassed her during streams. And she wasn't even at fault, everyone unrelated to the coding of the game was not at fault. But they deserve props for turning the situation around and now being able to look to the future again.

So, being sassy is a risky thing as a mod. There's no doubt I'd tread very lightly during my first few days if I became a mod but it'd be something to ease into. The other mods would need to teach me how to meme in controlled portions as to not upset anyone.
  • ChesterTheMolester
    But hey, unnecessary counterpoint, but people didn't seem to care for @not_Queen and her want to detach her work from her personal life yet people harassed her during streams. And she wasn't even at fault, everyone unrelated to the coding of the game was not at fault. But they deserve props for turning the situation around and now being able to look to the future again.
    @strain would get my vote for moderator.
  • powerbats

JammyJewels said:

But hey, unnecessary counterpoint, but people didn't seem to care for @not_Queen and her want to detach her work from her personal life yet people harassed her during streams. And she wasn't even at fault, everyone unrelated to the coding of the game was not at fault. But they deserve props for turning the situation around and now being able to look to the future again.

You just had to go there didn't you? I figured it'd come from @Lowbei 1st or perhaps @fcc2014 but you beat them to the punch.

• ChesterTheMolester
    edited August 2018
    powerbats said:

JammyJewels said:

You just had to go there didn't you? I figured it'd come from @Lowbei 1st or perhaps @fcc2014 but you beat them to the punch.

What can i say? There haven't been that many lolcows here. Only @feffrey is left.
  • fcc2014
    fcc2014 Member Posts: 4,388

@powerbats said:

JammyJewels said:

Ummmm Thanks?!?! I think she is useless and ducks and covers when things go wrong. BTW i unlike others have never watched her stream or harassed her on it. For me it isn't a personnel vendetta it is my honest opinion of her as the community manager. We have so much passion and commitment from people in this community do you not think we could get someone more engaging?

• Tsulan
    fcc2014 said:

@powerbats said:

JammyJewels said:

Ummmm Thanks?!?! I think she is useless and ducks and covers when things go wrong. BTW i unlike others have never watched her stream or harassed her on it. For me it isn't a personnel vendetta it is my honest opinion of her as the community manager. We have so much passion and commitment from people in this community do you not think we could get someone more engaging?

@JammyJewels I think being ironic (maybe sassy) can disarm a situation that could otherwise escalate into a full blown harassment thread.
    But not everyone understands irony. Some people might get offended. People get offended by everything these days.
  • powerbats

@Tsulan said:

@JammyJewels I think being ironic (maybe sassy) can disarm a situation that could otherwise escalate into a full blown harassment thread.
    But not everyone understands irony. Some people might get offended. People get offended by everything these days.

Agreed, sadly sarcasm, humour et al don't translate really well over the internet all the time.

• pauloandrade22

Im still applying tho.> @powerbats said:

@Tsulan said:

Agreed, sadly sarcasm, humour et al don't translate really well over the internet all the time.

I mean i can only see the text. Sarcasm is transmitter though voice and face . Unless you put s/ or a similar thing. Its pretty undestandable at least for me it is.

• powerbats

@WhateverIGuess said:
    Y'all are doing this just for the Nea shirt huh? lmao jk.

You found us out, meddling kids.

• NMCKE
    NMCKE Member Posts: 8,243
    edited August 2018
    I don't think I'm ready for being a mod, don't get me wrong... I absolutely LOVE DBD to death but I don't think I can be as active. Especially when school is starting for me, I simply can't be on a lot and I feel like I'm letting my community down when I'm not there to help you all, ya know? However I will always assist a mod tho.
  • powerbats

@Nickenzie said:
    I don't think I'm ready for being a mod, don't get me wrong... I absolutely LOVE DBD to death but I don't think I can be as active. Especially when school is starting for me, I simply can't be on a lot and I feel like I'm letting my community down when I'm not there to help you all, ya know? However I will always assist a mod tho.

Having a lot of time is always nice but dedication to being as good member of the community is more important. I've seen cuntless mods who had plenty of time but were complete jerks while others with little time were better and vice versa.

• ShrimpTwiggs
    ShrimpTwiggs Member Posts: 1,181

@Nickenzie said:

That's a shame.I think you'd be a pretty good mod since you're easily one of the most positive people on the forums.

• NMCKE
    powerbats said:

Having a lot of time is always nice but dedication to being as good member of the community is more important. I've seen cuntless mods who had plenty of time but were complete jerks while others with little time were better and vice versa.

I mean yeah, if I have the time to check the forums then I will but if I can't... then I can't. There's no shame in saying that you can't be a mod because not everyone is able to be a great example like @Peanits. Overall, I have mixed feelings because why make me mod when someone else can be more active than me, ya know?
  • NMCKE

That's a shame.I think you'd be a pretty good mod since you're easily one of the most positive people on the forums.

Aww, thanks! How about you @ShrimpTwiggs? Do you think that you have the responsibilities to be a mod?
  • ShrimpTwiggs
    ShrimpTwiggs Member Posts: 1,181

@Nickenzie said:
    ShrimpTwiggs said:

Aww, thanks! How about you @ShrimpTwiggs? Do you think that you have the responsibilities to be a mod?

I'd like to be a mod. I really like the game and I think it'd be cool to help out where I can and, since I'm finished with school, I have time to look around the forums. I can be rough with my comments here and there, though. I'd probably have to reel myself in a bit if I became a mod.

• JammyJewels
    Tsulan said:
    fcc2014 said:

@powerbats said:

JammyJewels said:

Indeed, a good joke could turn the entire tone of a thread into something much more positive. But as mentioned by others sarcasm is more easily transmitted through voice rather than text, though I'm sure some would know of a way to do so. Even if I were a sassy moderator or a high-brow moderator I'd do the job because it's for a game I love. Though I'm still going to try being helpful, even as an average member.
  • Lowbei
    Lowbei Member Posts: 2,637
    too late guys, they already picked a new one /wink /wink
  • Tsulan

There's a shirt?
    Damn, totally missed out on that. Got a screenshot?
    Lowbei said:
    too late guys, they already picked a new one /wink /wink
    Who is it, who is it?!
  • Peanits
    Peanits Dev, Community Manager Posts: 7,522
    edited August 2018

@Tsulan said:
    WhateverIGuess said:

There's a shirt?

(I would not recommend doing it just for a shirt. If you're doing it for some cosmetic, you're doing it for the wrong reasons.)

• popoles
    popoles Member Posts: 831
    edited August 2018
    Too bad I don't play as Nea.
  • Tsulan
    Peanits said:

@Tsulan said:
    WhateverIGuess said:

There's a shirt?

(I would not recommend doing it just for a shirt. If you're doing it for some cosmetic, you're doing it for the wrong reasons.)

Not doing it for a shirt. Until now I didn't even know there's a special mod cosmetic. 
  • JammyJewels
    Tsulan said:
    Peanits said:

@Tsulan said:
    WhateverIGuess said:

There's a shirt?

Not doing it for a shirt. Until now I didn't even know there's a special mod cosmetic. 
    I was in the same boat. Hell, I didn't even think there was any sort of 'reward' for being a mod.
  • Peanits

@Tsulan said:

Sorry, didn't mean to imply that you were, just a general message to everyone. I probably should have made it a little more clear so it didn't sound like I was calling you out. My bad.

• Lowbei
    Lowbei Member Posts: 2,637
    edited August 2018
    noo there is no mod cosmetics. he photoshopped that! @Peanits you troll more than me! reported

very good photoshop tho :sweat:
  • powerbats

@Peanits said:

@Tsulan said:

Sorry, didn't mean to imply that you were, just a general message to everyone. I probably should have made it a little more clear so it didn't sound like I was calling you out. My bad.

That's good and I'm sure there's some who'd do it only for the free goodies. I've yet to play her but she is next on my to master list.

• Tsulan

@Peanits said:

@Tsulan said:

No offense taken. ;)
    Don´t worry.

• pauloandrade22

@JammyJewels said:
    Tsulan said:

fcc2014 said:

@powerbats said:

JammyJewels said:

Indeed, a good joke could turn the entire tone of a thread into something much more positive. But as mentioned by others sarcasm is more easily transmitted through voice rather than text, though I'm sure some would know of a way to do so. Even if I were a sassy moderator or a high-brow moderator I'd do the job because it's for a game I love. Though I'm still going to try being helpful, even as an average member.

The way i learned was to place s/ (uppercase or not is irrelevante) when being sarcastic AT the END OF THE SENTENCE and it works wonders too.

• Soren
    Soren Member Posts: 369

@Peanits said:

Completely forgot about that one. Edgy blue Nea is still best Nea ;p

On a serious note. Someone asked if the forums will be harsher because of some mods behaviour. My question is the opposite: does being a mod prevent you to participate in controversial threads? It might sound silly, but I have the feel I don't see mods that often on steam for example, I know they are active behind the scene, but it's like they censor themselves on purpose to not give a bad impression of their team...

• powerbats

@Soren said:

On a serious note. Someone asked if the forums will be harsher because of some mods behaviour. My question is the opposite: does being a mod prevent you to participate in controversial threads? It might sound silly, but I have the feel I don't see mods that often on steam for example, I know they are active behind the scene, but it's like they censor themselves on purpose to not give a bad impression of their team...

I don't think mods purposely avoid controversial topics, I know I never did and Steam is a different beast. What I generally did as well as my fellow mods was on controversial threads we acted as parents so to speak. We only stepped in when the children were getting out of hand.As long as they weren't arguing too loudly or hitting each other it was fine.

The same is true for forum discussions, you generally let them run their course and step in when a line or lines get crossed or it get derailed too much. You gently steer it back on course and to a more civilized area (hopefully). IF you can't get it to where it should be or it gets too derailed then you close it with the reason why.

Most of the time people understand and will calm down for a time until the next thread degenerates into aflame war. Then you rinse and repeat as best you can while trying to infuse humour and levity into it. If all else fails then warnings and bans ensue but those are a rarely used last resort reserved for the worst of the worst.

• pauloandrade22

@powerbats said:

@Soren said:

I don't think mods purposely avoid controversial topics, I know I never did and Steam is a different beast. What I generally did as well as my fellow mods was on controversial threads we acted as parents so to speak. We only stepped in when the children were getting out of hand.As long as they weren't arguing too loudly or hitting each other it was fine.

The same is true for forum discussions, you generally let them run their course and step in when a line or lines get crossed or it get derailed too much. You gently steer it back on course and to a more civilized area (hopefully). IF you can't get it to where it should be or it gets too derailed then you close it with the reason why.

Most of the time people understand and will calm down for a time until the next thread degenerates into aflame war. Then you rinse and repeat as best you can while trying to infuse humour and levity into it. If all else fails then warnings and bans ensue but those are a rarely used last resort reserved for the worst of the worst.

I wish that future modders see this and adopt it in their behaviours.

• pauloandrade22

@Peanits said:

@Soren said:

@Peanits said:

Hasn't stopped me. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

The rule is basically that you gotta' be a good example. You're free to post as you want, but you also need to make sure that you're constructive and civil about it, because you have to lead by example.

Will you guys make a thread or somesuch for when you need new volutary mods? Because i really enjoy DBD and i would like to help a bit (i can't be very active tho because im using an very old PC tho).

• pauloandrade22

@Peanits said:

@pauloandrade22 said:

@Peanits said:

@Soren said:

@Peanits said:

The rule is basically that you gotta' be a good example. You're free to post as you want, but you also need to make sure that you're constructive and civil about it, because you have to lead by example.

Will you guys make a thread or somesuch for when you need new volutary mods? Because i really enjoy DBD and i would like to help a bit (i can't be very active tho because im using an very old PC tho).

When it's time, it will be officially announced.

NICE. cant wait.

• powerbats

@Peanits said:

Get torches and pitchforks ready if I don't get picked. :p

I mean that's cool and hopefully it's sooner rather than later.

• Baphomett
    Baphomett Member Posts: 394
    powerbats said:

@Peanits said:

I'm all out of pitchforks and torches.  I loned them to EpicFail and Lowbei...
  • powerbats

@Peanits said:

I mean that's cool and hopefully it's sooner rather than later. > @Baphomett said:

powerbats said:

@Peanits said:

I'm all out of pitchforks and torches.  I loned them to EpicFail and Lowbei...

Touche

• pauloandrade22
    edited August 2018

@powerbats said:

@Peanits said:

NO thats my place shoooo... (im just joking around of course)

• Soren
    Soren Member Posts: 369
    edited August 2018

Thanks a lot for your answers!

@Peanits said:

Oh, that reminds me. A thing "I" (any mod) could do - that I saw in a zetetic forum, where the mods were also part of the controversial threads - is to differenciate regular answers from "mod" answers with a "mod" tag (between brackets, like a bold/italic tag) so that at one point people know what they can discuss without worry (because it's the player who talks) and what is a neutral mod answer with the purpose to calm down any derailed thread!

I think it's a good tip for anyone that wants to apply to be a mod but is afraid to how they should behave. But I guess, if they weren't banned yet, they already have a proper behaviour?

• Peanits

@Soren said:

@Peanits said:

Oh, that reminds me. A thing "I" (any mod) could do - that I saw in a zetetic forum, where the mods were also part of the controversial threads - is to differenciate regular answers from "mod" answers with a "mod" tag (between brackets, like a bold/italic tag) so that at one point people know what they can discuss without worry (because it's the player who talks) and what is a neutral mod answer with the purpose to calm down any derailed thread!

I think it's a good tip for anyone that wants to apply to be a mod but is afraid to how they should behave. But I guess, if they weren't banned yet, they already have a proper behaviour?

That's a neat idea. We have something a little different currently, where our warnings and such go through a private system (at most, showing a "This person was warned for this." message on their post). But I could definitely see that sort of thing being useful while trying to get a thread back on topic. You should stick that in forum feedback.

We'd definitely check for any bans first. That's almost an instant no. Although if it's been a long time since someone was banned and they have improved their behavior since, we could forgive 'em.

• Tsulan

@Peanits said:

@Soren said:

@Peanits said:

That's a neat idea. We have something a little different currently, where our warnings and such go through a private system (at most, showing a "This person was warned for this." message on their post). But I could definitely see that sort of thing being useful while trying to get a thread back on topic. You should stick that in forum feedback.

We'd definitely check for any bans first. That's almost an instant no. Although if it's been a long time since someone was banned and they have improved their behavior since, we could forgive 'em.

That´s something i wanted to ask. If someone can become a mod after getting a temp ban.