Why don't people avoid hate messages?

Michiko
Michiko Member Posts: 623
If it bothers you that much change your settings to where only friends can message you. Btw I'm speaking about console players. 

Comments

• brokedownpalace
    brokedownpalace Member Posts: 8,793
    So they can claim to be a victim of bullying.
  • fcc2014
    fcc2014 Member Posts: 4,388

I forget to turn them off when i play killer. I laugh them off and sometimes have the following responses but yeah they are pretty bad.

• SATXRI
    SATXRI Member Posts: 13
    Don’t get why people even get bothered by the fact that someone THEY DON’T KNOW AT ALL decides to be salty and send hate messages, lol. Just ignore it and disable the setting that allows everyone to send you a message :)
  • Animalheadskull
    Animalheadskull Member Posts: 478
    edited August 2018
    Then you will get a lot of friend request with messages. Or at least I do
  • Michiko
    edited August 2018
    fcc2014 said:

I forget to turn them off when i play killer. I laugh them off and sometimes have the following responses but yeah they are pretty bad.

Well with your responses I wouldn't expect you to. This is specifically more of a question for people who get on forums and complain about hate msgs... Like? 
  • Michiko
    SATXRI said:
    Don’t get why people even get bothered by the fact that someone THEY DON’T KNOW AT ALL decides to be salty and send hate messages, lol. Just ignore it and disable the setting that allows everyone to send you a message :)
    EXACTLY!
  • Michiko
    Then you will get a lot of friend request with messages. Or at least I do
    Well if it's directly after a match you KNOW its a salty/toxic survivor requesting you so dont bother looking/reading. Let it sit there.
  • fcc2014

To be honest some of the messages people send are racists, homophobic, sexually threatening, and telling you to harm yourself. Everyone is different and reacts to things a certain way. Maybe we should have a section for "show me your salt" or "Rage away" I don't know something.

• Michiko
    fcc2014 said:

To be honest some of the messages people send are racists, homophobic, sexually threatening, and telling you to harm yourself. Everyone is different and reacts to things a certain way. Maybe we should have a section for "show me your salt" or "Rage away" I don't know something.

Friday The 13th actually had a GREAT counter to toxicity that was supposed to be placed into the game. It was called the "Salt Mines" and basically anyone who disconnected/rage quit, was abusive in msg or voice chat, or got reported for griefing would be sent on a seperate server to play with others who are the same way. Give em' a taste of their own medicine. Wish they would implement this into DBD.
  • BillyIII
    BillyIII Member Posts: 365

Butthurt is the best part of this game. Why would anyone avoid it?

• fcc2014

@Michiko said:

Friday The 13th actually had a GREAT counter to toxicity that was supposed to be placed into the game. It was called the "Salt Mines" and basically anyone who disconnected/rage quit, was abusive in msg or voice chat, or got reported for griefing would be sent on a seperate server to play with others who are the same way. Give em' a taste of their own medicine. Wish they would implement this into DBD.

That would be good for the disconnecting people so they can go play together the messages not so much. I think it would hurt the player base. If people dc 25% or more of all games played in a season they should get placed in a separate que.

• Peanits
    Peanits Dev, Community Manager Posts: 7,531
    The responsibility should not be on the player to block all messages just in case (and then unblock them afterwards). There's no need for someone to go out of their way to insult you.
  • Michiko
    BillyIII said:

Butthurt is the best part of this game. Why would anyone avoid it?

As posted earlier:

• Michiko
    Peanits said:
    The responsibility should not be on the player to block all messages just in case (and then unblock them afterwards). There's no need for someone to go out of their way to insult you.
    Well sir, this is Dead By Daylight and unfortunately they do. So if you can't take it as I suggested above: fix your privacy settings. 
  • Peanits
    Peanits Dev, Community Manager Posts: 7,531
    Michiko said:
    Peanits said:
    Well sir, this is Dead By Daylight and unfortunately they do. So if you can't take it as I suggested above: fix your privacy settings. 
    Or report them and we'll deal with it.
  • Michiko
    Peanits said:
    Michiko said:
    Peanits said:
    Or report them and we'll deal with it.
    On console? Pc seems to be the only platform taken seriously for "reporting/dealing with it"
  • ShowMeUrBirb
    ShowMeUrBirb Member Posts: 63

I decided to make a little museum of salty comments on my steam profile, so I left comments on. The best way to deal with salty players is to confirm what they say/pretend you're stupid.

Survivor: Noob killer
    Killer: Yup, I'm noob, what's the problem
    Survivor: OMG, learn to play
    Killer: I killed all 4 of you so I know how to play
    at this point they usually don't respond

• Michiko

I decided to make a little museum of salty comments on my steam profile, so I left comments on. The best way to deal with salty players is to confirm what they say/pretend you're stupid.

Survivor: Noob killer
    Killer: Yup, I'm noob, what's the problem
    Survivor: OMG, learn to play
    Killer: I killed all 4 of you so I know how to play
    at this point they usually don't respond

Lol. That is a great way to counter it. Unfortunately, everyone reacts to it differently which is why I suggested the privacy rebutle for people who constantly complain on forums but don't take action to just avoid it.
  • fcc2014

@Michiko said:

On console? Pc seems to be the only platform taken seriously for "reporting/dealing with it"

Playstation handles it if someone crosses the line just report the message. Xbox not sure of but i heard they are stricter.

• Michiko
    fcc2014 said:

@Michiko said:

Playstation handles it if someone crosses the line just report the message. Xbox not sure of but i heard they are stricter.

Noted.
  • fcc2014

@Michiko said:

Noted.

Don't let them bait you into saying something they can get you for. Report the message and why.

• Michiko
    edited August 2018
    fcc2014 said:

@Michiko said:

Noted.

Don't let them bait you into saying something they can get you for. Report the message and why.

Oh they can't say anything to me period LOL. The day I got 4 back to back messages from four different survivors all different trials was the day I blocked everyone but my friends from messaging me. I never responded because I don't care but I didn't think to report it because I've always heard that PC is the only platform that is spot-on with "taking care of" the toxic portion of the community.
  • fcc2014

@Michiko said:

Oh they can't say anything to me period LOL. The day I got 4 back to back messages from four different survivors all different trials was the day I blocked everyone but my friends from messaging me. I never responded because I don't care but I didn't think to report it because I've always heard that PC is the only platform that is spot-on with "taking care of" the toxic portion of the community.

I turn mine off and forget sometimes. You do meet some cool people on the other side of the campfire when you leave them on.

• Michiko
    Michiko said:
    fcc2014 said:

that was never real.  
    Peep how I said "supposed to be placed". Pretty much that whole game isn't real anymore so you're right.
  • Jigsawn
    Jigsawn Member Posts: 19

On PS4 I don't get many salty messages, but some of that is due to me being on EU servers so there are a lot of different languages. I actually get quite a lot of GG or nice messages which is why I don't disable messaging, I have made quite a few DBD buddies through messages.

Yes on PS4 people can send messages via a Friend Request even if you have public messages blocked. I think though that there is a way to disable Friend Requests, but that sucks because you have to turn it on again every time you meet someone you actually want to be friends with.

• AzazelAxios
    AzazelAxios Member Posts: 51
    I get more GG messages than hate. 
  • Michiko
    Jigsawn said:

On PS4 I don't get many salty messages, but some of that is due to me being on EU servers so there are a lot of different languages. I actually get quite a lot of GG or nice messages which is why I don't disable messaging, I have made quite a few DBD buddies through messages.

Yes on PS4 people can send messages via a Friend Request even if you have public messages blocked. I think though that there is a way to disable Friend Requests, but that sucks because you have to turn it on again every time you meet someone you actually want to be friends with.

It does suck. The overall fact that you have you have to deal with this sucks period. People just want to play their game, get their kills/escapes and move along but... Ya know...
  • Michiko
    I get more GG messages than hate. 
    Well thats good. ❤️
  • Action_Jaxon
    Action_Jaxon Member Posts: 73

I for one don't disable them simply for the rare occasion that a mature player sends a GG after a competitive match. I also don't tunnel or camp so it's fun to see what excuses people come up with to be upset, " You pay to win" currently being my favorite.

• Michiko

I for one don't disable them simply for the rare occasion that a mature player sends a GG after a competitive match. I also don't tunnel or camp so it's fun to see what excuses people come up with to be upset, " You pay to win" currently being my favorite.

"You play to win" 

• Swiftblade131
    Swiftblade131 Member Posts: 2,050

They are like feminists, they like to find something that isn't really an issue and make it an issue.

I read them, laugh and then move on. Not everyone is thick skinned though.

• chemical_reject
    chemical_reject Member Posts: 940
    I shouldn't have to turn my messages off and not get a chance to make new friends just because some people like to act like children and send hateful messages. Now having said that I don't give a ######### what some anon stranger says to me. But I've met some really great people because they sent me sugary messages after a match instead of the salty kinds. 
  • RepliCant
    RepliCant Member Posts: 1,436

@Peanits said:

There isn't.

But what you let affect you will affect you. And we live in a current generation where anything can be typed and instantly sent.

The solution? Either not give a #########, or continue on to making your messages private. You're never going to get rid of any aggressive, salty, or rude people.

I understand DbD is implementing new report systems, but let's be honest, it's nearly impossible to ban everyone who harass each other.

If you're too sensitive to what a complete, far as hell, stranger says to you, there's ways around it like closing the chat tab on PC, or limiting messages and friend requests.
    '

• Michiko
    I shouldn't have to turn my messages off and not get a chance to make new friends just because some people like to act like children and send hateful messages. Now having said that I don't give a ######### what some anon stranger says to me. But I've met some really great people because they sent me sugary messages after a match instead of the salty kinds. 
    Well, lucky you. Maybe one day I'll meet some "sugary" message senders.
  • chemical_reject
    chemical_reject Member Posts: 940
    Michiko said:
    Omg there few and far between but the ones that go out of their way to be nice seem to be great people to play with :) maybe don't wait try being the person sending the sugar. I have. Some killers are even surprised. I'll say somthing like GG scary killer ect and the killer is shocked because he was expecting a hateful tirade 
  • Michiko
    Michiko said:
    Omg there few and far between but the ones that go out of their way to be nice seem to be great people to play with :) maybe don't wait try being the person sending the sugar. I have. Some killers are even surprised. I'll say somthing like GG scary killer ect and the killer is shocked because he was expecting a hateful tirade 
    Eh, I'm not really the type to send anything. I just get the job done and move onto the next match. I show that it was a "Gg" by just leaving and not trolling/bullying the killer. I'll consider it though, see how it turns out.