Are character prices fair?

This is not about DLC characters, if I understand licencing correctly they have to pay outright for it and recoup the money after. My issue is for the original characters, now for the survivors, it's not so bad because they're templates for your build, I'm not a big fan of the shrine but unless you're into roleplaying your character you can slow just get all the perks on one survivor. The killers is where it became a big issue for me, why are the older characters like the Legion and Doc still 9k shards. This is not a f2p game and even some f2p are better on progression than this game, to compound this not only are they 9k shards but they have to be levelled from 1 to 50 which can take hours on end just to get all the things you need from the bloodweb. It's not like this is the only way they monetise the game has an install price, money only costumes and the worst of all a ######### battlepass which is the most egregious of all. I'm not saying 9k is completely unfair for newer characters but the older ones should definitely not be 9k years after release. BHVR can't have it both ways either make the prices for the characters and leveling cheaper or make customisation cheaper so we can focus and enjoy one fewer characters more. Thanks for sleeping through my TED talk.

TLDR: stop being scummy BHVR and adjust prices accordingly.

Comments

• Yords
    Yords Member Posts: 5,781

For the killer we get for it (trickster level strength)? No, but it makes sense as to why they are expensive.

• Hex_Llama
    Hex_Llama Member Posts: 1,821

I don't know if 450 is the right number or not, but I do think we should be getting shards faster. I'm definitely the kind of player who's oriented toward unlocking and collecting stuff and, right now, it feels like the number of hours I have to invest to grow my collection is too high for it to be satisfying.

• DecisiveDwight
    DecisiveDwight Member Posts: 593

I personally don't have an issue with this it's 9000 shards at the end of the day they could have charged me money but they gave me another way to do it and I'm thankful for that also DLC chapters are actually really cheap this is the only game I feel happy investing my money for new characters because it gets me a play style and characters I know from different horror movies and games. I mean they could have charged us £20 or dollars whatever currency you use so I'm happy that non licensed killers and survivors are basically free.

Also what do shards really do get you a cool outfit nah they all cost auric cells which cost me extortionate amounts of money I'll stick to my p3 Meg cosmetic thank you.

• GoodBoyKaru
    GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,767

Oh no, a game company selling a product, is allowing players to earn that product for free, but what's that? You don't like how expensive this free product is?

And bhvr are the greedy ones, not just you being a choosing beggar?

• DarkSonAaron
    DarkSonAaron Member Posts: 24

Yes, they're under no obligation to offer characters with playtime but then you're arguing something that's worst than f2p and this game is not f2p. Also, I agree that yes you're not gonna play this game for only 100 hours but people shouldn't be playing this game for 400+ hours thinking oh I got another 50 hours before I can unlock that character than another fifty to level them before I can really enjoy. I feel like that kind of mindset is elitist and will stop more new players from really picking up the game because it becomes a commitment more than enjoyment.

• Phasmamain
    Phasmamain Member Posts: 11,531

€5 per character isn’t terrible cosmetics are the problem imo

• DarkSonAaron

That argument is disingenuous if we could initially play the game for free and get everything for free, yes you would be earning the product for free, but as I've said before this is a paid-for game you have to pay before you can even install, so you're not truly earning anything for free. please also explain how I'm being a "choosing beggar" I'm assuming you just read the TLDR and got upset but if you actually read the whole thing I was just talking bout the older characters. I understand that the dev side of the company puts in a lot of work with the content, but that doesn't mean you can be extortionate with how you monetise.

• DarkSonAaron

It adds up, the total cost for all the original content DLC is £51.5, with the game still being £14.99. all I'm saying is the older content should be reduced to make the flow of the game better.

• Phasmamain
    Phasmamain Member Posts: 11,531

Tbf you can grind shards to buy the non licensed chapters and it actually doesn’t take that long

• DarkSonAaron

I like this every 20 levels for a newer character seems decent to me.

• GoodBoyKaru

Correct, it's a paid game with paid dlc, however there's an option to get some of it free by grinding. Of course it'd take a while to get the shards for this, because you're getting *for free* what is normally paid for.

It doesn't matter how old the content is, paid dlc is still paid dlc. They're under no obligation to offer any of it for free, so asking for it to be more-free is just... Why? That's where the choosing beggar aspect comes from - it's not free enough for you and should be freer.

• Patrick1088
    Patrick1088 Member Posts: 628

Tbh if you're waiting years for the killer, are you even interested in them? I've seen Doctor, Legion and Hag perks in SoS since I started playing in August 2020. I'm on Switch, and used a gift card to get the base game and some dlc (Ghostface, Myers, Demo and Oni since they all looked cool lol). I'm not interested in Legion so much, but I wanted Discordance, which I got. So I don't have to buy Legion now. If its on sale in the future, then sure why not , but its not going to make me post about it in forum years later.

They don't have to drop the price at all. Nintendo is notorious for this same reason. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and Splatoon 2 are almost 5 years old, yet they still need to be purchased at essetially full priced. Should they drop ot because it's old? Why would they? If somebody wants it, they'll get it. This is especially true for digital content. Its not excess inventory that they need to get rid of, so why lower the price?

• DarkSonAaron

I know but that my point 9k for older non-licenced I think is unfair. I feel like after 3-6 months from release 9k should maybe go down to 7k then 1 year+ after it should be 4.5k, then things like money only cosmetics and a battlepass would be more justified.

• DarkSonAaron

But if they couldn't afford to buy the DLC they would have a problem with buying the game initially anyway. I feel like a game that has an install price shouldn't use F2P tactics. 9k for older characters I don't think is fair.

• NVerde
    NVerde Member Posts: 264

I think the Shrine of Secrets should only include perks that are for paid characters and should be refreshed more often, that's my biggest issue. Would have no problem paying for characters/cosmetics but I resent having to pay for a character just to get a perk I want (which still then takes a lot of levelling). I feel that core content shouldn't be paid for (and you can argue it's not because if you wait for it to appear in the SoS you can get it there - but it takes too long to refresh so you could be waiting literally months for ones you want to appear).

• twistedmonkey
    twistedmonkey Member Posts: 4,291

A character does not lose its value just because they are older.

In terms of playtime and not waiting in lobbies it should take around 30-35h to get 9k shards.

This on top of the frequent sales where older dlc chars can be 50-75% off I think it's more than fair.

Before BHVR bought the rights all the dlc was paid only. They decided to give players a means to earn something which had a monetary value when they did not have too. I don't see how anyone can realistically see that as unfair.

• Dizzy1096
    Dizzy1096 Member Posts: 918

Depends on the character.

For fair characters yes (but cosmetics are overpriced)

But for all those killers that are simply not viable at high level play? No its a rip off. Why buy something thats just a handicap at rank 1?

• Mooks
    Mooks Member Posts: 14,710

Because rank based matchmaking will not be used once SBM is permanently on. Then you will be matched according to your killer specific skill and don’t have to worry about the rank of your opponents.

• _NIGHTMARE_
    _NIGHTMARE_ Member Posts: 727

You can get unlicensed characters for free just by playing the game.

I don't think that's expensive...

• Afius
    Afius Member Posts: 563

Just make a sandwich instead of buying a burger. Done now you have enough money for a character.

• GoodBoyKaru

Sorry, I should've specified it's monetarily free- obviously there's the opportunity cost of time that could be spent elsewhere and the golden rule is that nothing is ever truly free.

However, saying that "this isn't free enough" which is essentially what OP is saying is just... No.

You make the decision to pay with your time for something you could pay for with money instead, which sounds scummy but said content is paid dlc for a reason and when published under Starbreeze nothing was free. They're under no obligation to let you get it for free, and wanting to freer is just... Why?

• OMagic_ManO
    OMagic_ManO Member Posts: 3,278

Don't have an issue with how much a character costs, what I do have an issue with is:

You have Adam's base hair with the character, you want it just a few centimetres taller with a straight top? pay 4 bucks, or 10 for the whole skin.

• DarkSonAaron

Again this is not f2p nothing is monetarily free, you've paid something to get access to this content you never were allowed to play this for free. Also, push trying to put words in my mouth, I'm not saying "this isn't free enough", what I've been saying is to make the player progression smoother. Just because you shine up ######### it doesn't match it any less #########. I'm going to make it clear to you in this reply because you're either trying to not understand or can't understand, I don't want the characters to be free, I'm not asking for them to reduce the monetary cost of the DLC, but I am saying pick a lane. If the company want to use f2p tactics then go full f2p and monetise how you want or if you want to have an install price don't be scummy and paywall actually gameplay elements and still have high priced cosmetics and a battlepass. Also instead of trying to mudsling and strawman my arguments why don't you just respond to it how I've worded it or don't respond.

• GoodBoyKaru

"If the company want to use f2p tactics then go full f2p and monetise how you want or if you want to have an install price don't be scummy and paywall actually gameplay elements and still have high priced cosmetics and a battlepass."

This is something I keep seeing a lot so let me address this now.

BHVR is, unfortunately for all of us, one of the most respectable game development companies in the world. Through surveys completed by the Canadian government and other external entities, they're easily ranked as one of the best games companies, which give their workers actual holiday, complementary hot meals on-site, and a genuine fair wage people can live off.

Furthermore, they often donate to their local community efforts, particularly with the BLM movement, during Pride month, and the current issues around Asian Hate Crimes.

Subsequently, they often have costs much higher than a different studio of their average size, and considering a lot of their games are F2P mobile games, DBD is their one main source of revenue.

Also, why must they stick to a track? It's working just fine to be able to earn DLC characters for free, or pay for them. It's working perfectly okay so far.

Also, would you rather the DLCs remain cheaper, and cosmetics + rift stay pretty expensive (considering you can earn the entire rift back), or have DLCs be free and the cosmetics + rift even more expensive, or have the cosmetics be cheaper with the DLCs expensive? Because its one of these three options, due to their commitment to being, you know, decent people.

• DarkSonAaron

You don't need to high road me, it's great that they do those things but if they cared that much they would become a charity or NGO and I'm not giving them a point for treating workers fairly ALL companies should strive for that. Is it only far to criticise them if they were being scummy not only with the game but also outside of it? This is not about how morally righteous this company and don't bring that up to make people feel bad because they have criticisms of the game that they also enjoy.

• Hex_Llama
    Hex_Llama Member Posts: 1,821

I think this is another value for money question. If you don't feel like the game offers good value for money, then obviously you want more stuff included for the price you paid (which is different from wanting things for free). If you do feel like it's good value for money, then you don't mind as much.

• eric_alrasid17
    eric_alrasid17 Member Posts: 119

well at least Apex not too much grinding for unlocking characters. And that's I get inspiration for DBD shard drop to 450 per levels. Every 20 levels to get new characters seems decent since this game had so many characters.

• TheClownIsKing
    TheClownIsKing Member Posts: 6,278

That’s not necessarily true about the license agreements. The legally recognised owner of an IP is free to set their own T&C’s and payment conditions.

We don’t know how much BHVR is paying for each license, or HOW they are required to pay some of them. For all we know some licenses may be monthly in perpetuity.

• DarkSonAaron

Yeah, I'm not saying I was the dev to just hand out free stuff just not everything has to be expensive, if people can try more things they're likely gonna spend somewhere when they find something they really like and you can't do that if you're wasting hours on end just to get to the next thing.

• DarkSonAaron

that's a funny comparison because both of those are f2p and have no upfront cost, idk about fortnight but I've put around about the same hours into apex that I have in this and I have everyone. Also when you level not only are you getting the currency but you get a pack every other level.

• DarkSonAaron

True, I'm just giving them the benefit of the doubt on this one because they're pretty established franchises.