The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Why do so many people hate Legion? I want to understand

Duskk
Duskk Member Posts: 92

Hi, I’m a Legion one trick and have a solid amount of time into the killer. I was red ranks consistently before leaving the game for about a year to take a break and grind Overwatch for a while. I got a considerable amount of hate messages almost every other game for playing Legion back when I played. I thought it was just because I was in red ranks and players can be that way. After a 1 year+ break I returned to find myself in rank 20 after resets. And have spent the past 3 days getting myself back up and I’ve been grinding and I’m at rank 6 and hoping to hit Red ranks this weekend now. And ALMOST every game through all ranks Ive gotten some hate message for playing Legion.. why?? Why do people hate this mediocre killer so much? I legit don’t get it. Is the killer just secretly overtuned and I’m just blind to it? I read patches and the killer hasnt appeared to have any super substantial ground breaking changes since I left. It’s seems the hate for the killer is still as rampant as ever one year later since I’ve returned.

Comments

• TheMadCat
    TheMadCat Member Posts: 2,203

I think the fact we have to mend every time Legion hits us with their power is one of the reasons people don't like being against them. And the fact people waste too much time healing for being into the deep wound status one second after finishing their Self-Care, to restart the process. And no generator is done.

I'm sorry if you get hate messages just because you play a certain Killer.

• Luciferr_2nd
    Luciferr_2nd Member Posts: 911

Meh i dont mind going against a legion

Mending all the time can be annoying, but apart from that i dont mind too much.

• ShinobuSK
    ShinobuSK Member Posts: 5,279

People hate to mend and find it very boring. I recommend playing more fun killers for survivors, something like Spirit or Freddy

• MegMain98
    MegMain98 Member Posts: 2,913

Legion has such a bland and tedious playstyle. They do what Wraith and Ghostface do. Hit and run. However Legion is basically a “budget Wraith” since Wraith can pressure survivors to heal while staying injured against a Legion is the correct play.

Legion just stabs you and leaves you to mend. It’s usually very stale and bland gameplay against a Legion. Plus a lot of people still hate Legion because of what they used to be :/

But you should play whoever you want with getting hate.

• gilgamer
    gilgamer Member Posts: 2,209

Mending and being left alone is boring gameplay from the survivors side. From their pov they just get run down by a killer that ignores vaulting, the most powerful tool survivors have, and just hits them practically for free and then they have to just sit there and mend for like 15 seconds or whatever it is and the killer just leaves to go do the same for someone else.

• nursewannabe
    nursewannabe Member Posts: 1,075

Other than the mending simulator thing, usually legions play with stacked up slowdown, turning the game into a forever legion

Really just boring, nothing op or wrong with the killer

• Mandy
    Mandy Administrator, Dev, Community Manager Posts: 22,908

I don't really mind playing against Legion, I also play as Legion. I do understand that there's a bit of a mend simulator to it - but it's not something that really bothers me, I guess that might be because I also play as the character so understand it a bit more.

• MegMain98
    MegMain98 Member Posts: 2,913

You see that’s another thing. Legion completely circumnavigate the survivor’s defenses which is windows and pallets. So Legion can’t be that strong since they completely circumnavigate the survivors only defenses or we’re going to get old Legion again, which was quite literally the definition of no counterplay.

Legion already gets free hits on survivors in frenzy. Frenzy can’t be that powerful because there’s really nothing the survivor can do to avoid getting stabbed. If Legion were to be more powerful, then they need a complete overhaul/rework.

• Sunri
    Sunri Member Posts: 100

They don't hate legion they hate losing you it doesn't matter what killer you main if u 4/3k expect hate comments

• justbecause
    justbecause Member Posts: 1,521

Getting hate msgs is never okay however hating legion as character is justified

• gilgamer
    gilgamer Member Posts: 2,209

Yeah, that's essentially his largest issue and is why unless he gets a complete overhaul he will never be satisfying to play or play against. His power is in such a weird position that if you make it too strong it becomes overbearing and if it becomes even just a little bit weaker it becomes mostly useless and in some cases a detriment. Especially against survivors who are comfortable being injured the whole game he straight up becomes the worse killer in the game.

• JediWithASniper
    JediWithASniper Member Posts: 670

I used to hate legion the most. It was because I couldn’t figure out how to play against him. Eventually I figured out how to counter his powers. Simply putting lots of distance between you him and other survivors, and learning slight adjustments on how to loop him. I still find it annoying that his power works if you are in a locker. I think that is bs, but I’m over it. I no longer hate legion, I just find him mildly annoying. Mostly because a lot of players don’t know how to counter him. Usually if he is the killer, I plan on it being a hatch game. I don’t swf, only solo q. That’s why I say probably a hatch game.

• WishIcouldmain
    WishIcouldmain Member Posts: 4,082
    edited June 2021

Mending simulator. And his power which is run around and hit people which is what you already do. Uncreatively. Really want a Legion rework.

• NVerde
    NVerde Member Posts: 264

I find Legion very boring to play against as others have said, and the add-on that causes the terror radius constantly is just incredibly tedious. Not my most hated killer to go against but definitely bottom tier.

• RyRapsYT
    RyRapsYT Member Posts: 299

Some perks also make his power really annoying to face like Thanataphobia.

• Trickstaaaaa
    Trickstaaaaa Member Posts: 1,267

It depends on the playstyle. If it's one of those legions that use frenzy all the time even when you are injured, it can be annoying to mend many times. But I do play him once in while and use his frenzy can be a good ability for tracking purposes and thing like that so I get it, but it can still get annoying. But don't worry I think wraith is becoming more annoying than legion now, and I'm pretty sure a lot of people are feeling the same as me.

• Cinderblock
    Cinderblock Member Posts: 21

Mending simulator. And if you don't heal, they won't use their power and then get free hooks. Add in Thanatophobia and you've got an extra 20s per gen. Add in sloppy and you've got 3 randoms self-caring while you're being carried to the basement.

• GeneralV
    GeneralV Member Posts: 10,404

My opinion: mending simulator, and bad memories from when they first released.

• humanbeing1704
    humanbeing1704 Member Posts: 8,956

I'm the small minority that likes playing against legion

• Szarman
    Szarman Member Posts: 246

To be honest I think that some survivors don't really understand how to play against him. I'm a Legion main for like 2 years now. So I know his all weakneses and strenghts. The biggest counter to The Legion is just holding W. I played something about 3 days ago 3 games in a row against The Legion and I got hit by Feral Frenzy once.

How to counter Legion:

Holding W, Doing some type of Window techs (which are really easy to do against Legion, because he has no collision after vaulting in FF), Pallet techs. His lack of tracking is really powerful for survivors. You just need to break line of sight, make him confused a bit and he doesn't know what to do.

When you are doing gen with other survivor, when you see just Legion is comming just split up in different directions. When you do it, It's almost impossible that he will chain your both. The problem with Legion right now, is that he is too much reliant on how survivors play.

against Bad Survivors: Legion is strong

against Good survivors: Legion is really bad

Also I think that something should be changed with this spillting up. I don't think that survivors should be able to make a killers power actually unusable, especially when it can't down. Maybe giving an ability to start it when 50% power gauge is charged? Less map dependence, Doesn't change anything when playing against bad survs, but will for sure help when playing against good survivors. Also changing fatigue to 3 seconds, and Legion would be mostly fine then. At least I think so. Oh and also Legion has a really big TR, you see on HUD when Deep Wound has been applied, so you always see when He is in Frenzy.

So, why survivors hate to play against The Legion:

• Doesn't know how to counter them
    • When they don't counter them, they have to hold m1 pretty often

Why killers get frustrated when playing The Legion:

• Map Dependent
    • His power is all about survivors making mistakes
    • Too long fatigue
    • Long power charge time
    • He is not that fast comparing to some other killers, for example victor.
    • Very easy to counter chaining his hits.
  • DecisiveDwight
    DecisiveDwight Member Posts: 593

Stab, mend, stab, mend, stab, mend, mend, stab, mend. Ahh I could do this all day literally it feels like you could.

• Szarman
    Szarman Member Posts: 246

Yeah, the lack of lethality also hurts. From time to time i like to play some Frank's Mixtape and Stab wounds study, with full Slowdown build haha. It's actually pretty fun, but still not good :(

• th3
    th3 Member Posts: 1,837

A literal m1 simulator by some edgy person is not fun. The counterplay is also not fun.

• Dabihwow
    Dabihwow Member Posts: 3,409

@QwQw as a legion main do you want to explain?

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,200

Deep wound simulator and no chase ability. Really boring and often ridiculously long games

• DeliciousFood
    DeliciousFood Member Posts: 464

Yeah it comes down to M1 simulator and a free hit to fill please the dopamine receptors of the poor saps that somehow find anything appealing in the creative hollowness that is Legion.

Almost all Legions stack atrocious amounts of slowdown because the killer is just so god awfully bad that without them they'd get rushed down in most red rank matches. It becomes extremely tiresome, especially with teammates that constantly heal and drop pallets without being injured. It's either get hit for free or do the typical loop kata you'd use against any M1 killer.

Holy ######### I'd give anything for Legion to get a rework and no longer get a hit without earning it whatsoever and trade it for better downing power. I just can't stand Feral Frenzy.

• danielmaster87
    danielmaster87 Member Posts: 9,078

Because boosted players who don't know how to play the game want to stay healthy ALL THE TIME, even at the cost of the gens. If they're not healthy, they simply won't touch a gen. They'll Self-care in the corner of the map or run around for 50 seconds looking for a teammate to heal them. High level is meant for you to push gens while injured, and the people who are stubborn and won't do that are the ones complaining. They're bad team players.

• QwQw
    QwQw Member Posts: 4,531

Well, I no longer main Legion, but I never understood the hate they got.

Don't get me wrong, I can see how Legion ain't the funnest to go against, but they're far from being the most annoying.

• glitchboi
    glitchboi Member Posts: 6,014

I don't mind playing against Legion, but I can see why people find them boring.

• Beeanoo
    Beeanoo Member Posts: 2

Why do many people dc on legion? I've been trying to prestige them so I've played a bunch and for some reason atleast 1 person dc's EVERY TIME. I just don't get why mainly legion, I've never seen any killer get this many dc's in any time while playing.

• Slowpeach
    Slowpeach Member Posts: 702

Yeah I tend to find the worse a player is the more they hate Legion. I hate saying such a generalised cliche but it really fits here: Mad cus bad. Most people can’t adapt what they should do against a given killer and just want to be healthy at all times and do gens. Legion punishes lack of adaptability more then any other.

Mending simulator is annoying but you gotta remember that Legion is the only killer whose power is almost useless against wounded survivors. This might be a power in itself but Legion has no help against good loops on wounded survivors whatsoever. They rely 100% on m1. No traps, no stealth lunge, no bottles, no tentacles, no extra speed from stalk, no red vomit, they get nothing.

Bad survivors typically aren’t great at looping. They also tend to clump together inefficiently on one gen without prove thyself which is a Legions playground and results in loads of mending. They also tend to lack the awareness of when Legion is or is not in Frenzy and don’t adapt their play accordingly. Legion has a truck ton of exploitable design flaws that newer or bad players can’t exploit and are victim to their strengths.

Having said all that what Feral Frenzy and Legion does a whole needs a massive rework. I love Joey and he’s my favourite character in the game but the fact he’s so punishing to beginners and weaker players yet is basically powerless against experienced ones is a major issue.

• SOULWARRIOR71K
    SOULWARRIOR71K Member Posts: 457

What I find hilarious is that survivors hate mending but love sitting on gens. It’s basically the same thing just a different animation.

• MrPeanutbutter
    MrPeanutbutter Member Posts: 1,586

A year after the original post and I still hate playing against Legion

• Slowpeach

Ugh, I hate when threads get necroed lol.

• Blueberry
    Blueberry Member Posts: 13,590
    edited June 2022

Because they don't understand how to play against Legion and it's easier to complain.

You essentially don't heal. That's where most people go wrong.

Also I don't get the complaint about Mending. If you stay injured they aren't using FF nearly as much and I typically Mend maybe 3 times a match? That's hardly annoying at all.

• Thusly_Boned
    Thusly_Boned Member Posts: 2,883

See another surv go into deep wounds. Make a run for the furthest corner of the map. Mend. Heal.

Rinse, repeat.

Escape rate is pretty high, but the matches are tedious af.

It wouldn't be a huge deal, but with the rework, everyone and their cousin was using Legion for a while, so people burned out quickly. Legion's rework moved them from trash tier into a weird niche as not good, but just strong enough to be really annoying.

That said, the moment is passing, so the hate should subside a bit.

• Slowpeach
    edited June 2022

This is case and friggin point about what I said. Ran the Legion around for ages, especially on this map which is horrible for them and I don't consider myself very good in chase. What are they doing? All healthy clumped together on a generator. I wonder what's going to happen next! Credit to the Mikaela though, I think she was on the generator first and she was the one to come and save me here.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not annoyed at 'bad team mates' and 'I have to do everything myself' and all that, that's not the point, there's not a good tutorial for this game that tells people clumping against the Legion is a really bad idea but it's people who do stuff like this that complain about the Legion.

• sulaiman
    sulaiman Member Posts: 3,219

I had no problem with legion before his last changes. Now, however, the game become very boring, even if noone dcs. The thing is, neither side progresses. No gens get done, but legion also doesnt get hooks, most of the time. Every little progress takes ages. Its just boring, really.

• Emeal
    Emeal Member Posts: 4,922

I think Survivors find holding M1 incredibly boring. Which it IS.

• Babadook83
    Babadook83 Member Posts: 208

didnt they already buff legion recently? his fatigue time got reduced and he can down someone after 4 stabs if i'm right

• Thusly_Boned

It absolutely is, but it is also clearly the play vs. Legion.

• Slowpeach

Buffs/Nerfs aren't the problem here. The design is just straight up bad and that can't be fixed by tweaking numbers. Ultimately the current design means that Legion decimates newer/weaker players and is near useless on competent ones.

How so? To down anyone unless the other side really screws up the Legion depends 100% on m1. You can loop or do whatever you want to Legion more so then any other killer provided you are wounded. Not saying you are wrong because of course it is a solid option but by that definition many killers are played against the same way.

• Thusly_Boned

Splitting up essentially deprives Legion of any lethality, and putting as much distance between you and your teammates as quickly as possible is the best way of keeping them from snowballing. Even if I plan on looping them, I am going to try to draw them away from my teammates as much as possible to reduce the chances they can chain hits.

Putting distance between yourself and the killer is generally going to be a good idea vs. most killers, as is spreading out, but Legion's power compounds that.

• Babadook83
    Babadook83 Member Posts: 208

strange cause there seem to be a lot of players that love to play legion as killer.

• Slowpeach
    edited June 2022

I am one of them. For me it's think their design on an artistic level draws me. They are after all 4 individuals which you can choose one of them (in my case Joey where's my forum icon damnit). Also the fact they are fairly easy to play plus the fact they stomp on weaker players means weaker killer players can get returns more easily. Which in turn creates 'I hate Legion'.

That doesn't make anything I said less valid. I like Legion because of who they are, not because of how they play. Hell most of the time I don't even use their power but I don't play to win.

• MrPeanutbutter
    MrPeanutbutter Member Posts: 1,586

Exactly. It not that Legion is OP, they’re just incredibly boring and unfun to play against. Matches are an endless mend simulator