Chucky | The Good Guy Feedback

Options
Mandy
Mandy Administrator, Dev, Community Manager Posts: 22,502
edited January 22 in General Discussions

Hello everyone!

Chucky has been in the game a short while now and we'd like to check in with you and what your feedback overall is about Chucky, what do you like, dislike, how is he to play and to play against? Please keep your comments constructive!

Thank you!

Mandy

Post edited by Mandy on

Comments

• Bafugaboo
    Bafugaboo Member Posts: 404
    Options

From the killer side I am always laughing and enjoying the experience. I do feel the third person view is the strongest part of his kit.

From the survivor side because of the different view he had I am still adapting to a different play style to combat him. I think he has a good chance to win or lose at the moment.

• KayTwoAyy
    KayTwoAyy Member Posts: 1,699
    edited January 16
    Options

Disclaimer: I have never played as chucky, nor have I watched gameplay from his perspective or taken any time to read his abilities. All I know is that he plays in 3rd person--everything else I've learned from the Survivor POV.

Playing against Chucky is always a good time. He has made my return to DBD an enjoyable one (recently coming off an 8 mo. break from the game). On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being the most fun to play against, I would give Chucky an 8.5

My FAVORITE Feature: The sporatic footsteps that appear around the map. I don't know what triggers it, if anything at all, but I find it adds an enjoyable amount of tension while working on a generator. It's a soft jumpscare that keeps me alert, and is a feature I wish more killers had some variant of--I feel it reinforces the idea that the Killer could appear at any moment, and Survivors should be weary.

My LEAST FAVORITE Feature: Crawling under pallets (Scamper?). I think I would prefer some variant of Legion/Lopros Chains, where special attacks after crawling under the pallet inflict deep wound. I don't find Chucky particularly oppressive, but his ability to negate pallets makes many chases feel futile. The reality is that pallet stuns are too unrealiable because of desync.

All in all, hats off to the entire team that worked on Chucky. I'm really pleased with the result, and I look forward to more games against him.

Post edited by KayTwoAyy on
  • dwight444
    dwight444 Member Posts: 149
    Options

indeed

mind games feel less like 50/50 & more in his favor. Even if you see him I think you just react a lot slower than someone of normal height, it doesn't register as quickly imo

• katoptris
    katoptris Member Posts: 3,083
    edited January 16
    Options

Love the voices but can the slice and dice go through without me hitting the m1 on console?

• fussy
    fussy Member Posts: 1,256
    Options

I think he is almost perfect. Few addons should be updated (Mirror Shards and Plastic Bag are almost useless, i tested it with friend a lot).

I know some people want scamper will be nerfed further, but there is no room for it. It's already hard to give a hit after in some pallets if survivor expect it.

And cooldown is pretty big, but i don't think it could be less than 15 seconds anyway.

Also, fun fact: in december i went as Chucky on Lery's against SWF who predroped every single pallet from a far and create infinites like this. I'm pretty good Chucky player, but it's first time when i felt myself impotent and powerless. It was first in more than year when i dced on killer. Similiar experience i have on Hawkins. I can't describe how much i hate these maps, because they suck off all fun of using power on most killers. Rework them already please.

And as survivor it's hard to go against a good Chucky player, but i love this guy, because he bring back fear in this game for me again.

• MrT1412
    MrT1412 Member Posts: 81
    Options

I do think that the pallet scamper is very strong, but rather than nerfing the speed, I think that it would be better if regular attacks for a brief period after a pallet scamper couldn't down, but just put the survivor in deep wound. That way, it rewards skilled players for being able to hit slice and dices with the scamper.

• C3Tooth
    C3Tooth Member Posts: 8,146
    Options

On my part, there are too many killers now that I dont have ability to learn countering them all. Chucky release days I played against alot of Chucky, I didnt have a chance to learn though, all were hard tunneling and died in 4 hits.

• jonifire
    jonifire Member Posts: 1,437
    edited January 16
    Options

He is my favorite killer right now. I like his abilities, voice lines and mostly his size. It‘s just funny seeing people struggling to keep track of you. I think he is pretty fair and fun for both sides.

My only complaint is the 90 degree cap, which was introduced some weeks before Christmas and removed his flicks. It limits his skill expression very much. Often it stops me from trying to use his ability, where I still could mess up in the process and instead I go for save hits or m1s, which feels very bad and frustrating.

One not so important thing would be his addons, they could be a bit more interesting, because there aren‘t that many interesting ones (for me). Why does the one iri break pallets, when he has scamper as ability?

One more thing maybe you could change the buttons on controller a bit, because every other killer has one ability on L1 and L2. It is a bit confusing to press R1 for his scamper, which then also denies you to break pallets. Maybe make that you can‘t deactivate his ability and that scamper is L1 then.

Post edited by jonifire on
  • humanbeing1704
    humanbeing1704 Member Posts: 8,780
    Options

Does anyone feel like his hitbox looks super janky i know it’s definitely due to the small model but there’s times where it literally looks like it misses and it hits me and then a chucky in slice mode literally misses when the attack is on my model.

• HerInfernalMajesty
    HerInfernalMajesty Member Posts: 1,187
    Options

Thematically I love playing against him. It always makes me laugh when he does the middle finger lol.

I find myself hiding more against him than other Killers because of his stealth power. I really enjoy that aspect. When he is chasing me he doesn’t always hit his slice and dice which is nice, it feels like I can dodge it. Playing against him is super fun.

From a Survivor POV I can’t find fault with him.

• Dustin
    Dustin Member Posts: 2,253
    edited January 16
    Options

Overall the power is pretty fun to play around - the only criticism I have is sometimes on some tiles the scamper under pallet can be a bit annoying. Not even oppressive per se just I feel it makes chases awkward and wouldn't be against it being restricted to one scamper per Hidey Ho or possibly reducing duration of Hidey Ho for each scamper until you decide to charge. I feel you should be able to scamper as much as you want if you manage to line it up during a charge.

Other than that I find Good Guy extremely fun to play as and against. Just the unlimited scampers is a bit too safe of an option and discourages a lot of people playing Good Guy from trying more risky charges. I feel scamper should be discouraged and the slice n dice should be encouraged.

I play on PC desktop but I found most of my friends who are miserable versing them are on console so part of me assumes it's related to their size and how players observe their monitor / display but I honestly couldn't say on that. Even in games where I've lost terribly against Good Guy I've always enjoyed my games against them. I just feel unlimited scampers outside of slice n dice shouldn't exactly be punished but should come at slightly more of a cost. The cooldown itself is fine - if I had to pinpoint what specific part of this is an issue it's how quick Good Guy can scamper under the pallet once it's dropped. The actual cooldown is fine.

Unrelated to my criticism - Mostly concerning if this is a bug or not. During Hidey Ho I feel sometimes their footsteps across the map are not visible and it makes it unclear to know if their power is active or not. If I understand the power correctly I feel this is just a bug based on some maps having issues displaying footsteps but unsure.

tl;dr

• Encourage Dash attack - it's fun for both sides and a great show of skill expression for killer
    • Discourage scamper under pallets when used outside of dash
    • Possibly increase the time before chucky can scamper under a pallet once it's dropped - cooldown itself is fine - I'm indifferent about this
  • Marc_go_solo
    Marc_go_solo Member Posts: 4,910
    Options

Considering Chucky isn't really a scary being and more comedy for me, I'm impressed with how well he has integrated into the game.

He's strong and his lunge attacks are fun to face. It may be worth increasing the cooldown on missed lunge attacks though, since he's not really punished for that much.

The scamper ability is strong, but I like a Killer that subverts what is normally expected.

Finally, his footsteps seem prominent enough when going round loops to face him, but maybe they could be a bit more visible, since most other Killers you can see where they are on many loops, but Chucky is a little more conspicuous. That may be me being picky though.

Overall, a great addition which shows ambition in Killer design.

• SinisterSlender
    SinisterSlender Member Posts: 1
    edited January 16
    Options

I'll start this with, I am a survivor main (yoichi in particular so I stick out like an airport runway light which is why I call him banana man) and I have not played as Chucky but have watched some friends play as him

I really like Chucky and his perks. batteries included ramps up in power as the game goes which is cool to see in a perk the only one I can think of that does that well is huntress lullaby, two can play is a fun one because it lets survivors see how it is to go against us when we have flashlights and firecrackers and friends til the end is strong but not terrible I just wish I didn't see it in more than half my games but that can't be helped it's just a good perk. I think there are maybe some hitbox problems sometimes like I'll get hit when he missed but that could be desync because I tend to lag with my bad wifi, he is small so you really have to keep your eye out for him but it's the same with any stealth character (Myers, Ghostface, pig, ect) playing against Chucky like any new character that comes out you have to get used to the way he plays and play around that like not pre-dropping pallet on him or he'll scamper you either hit him or go for a window

His voice lines are fun and his mori is hilariously brutal. All in all I like him as a killer in dbd, I'm always gonna have good games and bad games with any killer and with Chucky I feel it's about even with both. I guess I've had one game maybe that wasn't that fun against a Chucky but that was a game I got tunneled off hook by a Chucky in hidey-ho, not a fault on Chucky though just a good way to play/get kills

Peace, survivor main that started playing killer (pig) in the last 2 weeks

Edited to add: I've played against him from ash to low gold and seen him played in high iri and my opinion never changed

Post edited by SinisterSlender on
  • Chilli_man2400
    Chilli_man2400 Member Posts: 2,882
    Options

He’s almost perfect but has things that don’t make sense.

Why does his power on cooldown at start? I understand he has advantages of being short but blight and nurse don’t have to wait 18 seconds to use there power they can just straight up go and kill.

I believe these changes will make him the perfect killer.

• Scamper under a pallet ends hidey ho mode(note doesn’t effect windows)
    • power is active at start of game
    • hidey ho duration is 15 seconds
    • cooldown is 15 seconds
  • Chocolate_Cosmos
    Chocolate_Cosmos Member Posts: 5,459
    Options

He is fine as is and one of the best killers to play as and he is fun usualy to go againts for me.

• Dreamnomad
    Dreamnomad Member Posts: 3,676
    Options

Chucky is masterpiece. I can't imagine how it could have possibly been made better. Bravo BHVR.

• RFSa09
    RFSa09 Member Posts: 620
    Options

Killer side: really fun character, not hard to use in any way, just a ´´press start and turn off your brain´´ and i love it because it bring back good old ps2 era memories for me, and he´s also really powerfull, insanely powerfull tbh, like, his iri addon is almost like compound 33 (the pallet break one) and i LOVE his voicelines ´´run dipshit!´´, every time i get stomped as nemesis i play a it of chucky or skull merchant haha

Survivor side: It may seem like I'm a ´´sweaty survivor main´´ or something like that, but I don't think Chucky is that fun to play against, his dynamics are really cool but like, if he activates hidey-ho you can't do anything , slice and dice is very difficult to dodge, (almost impossible in most loops) and the scamper is also a bit annoying, but when they´re playing 4fun it´s really funny

• Malkhrim
    Malkhrim Member Posts: 935
    Options

I think he is really fun to play and is in a good position right now. The only things I think could be improved are his extremely long cooldown (I get that his power is really strong, but so is the Spirit's, and her cooldown is only 15 seconds, while Chucky's is 18. Let's not forget she also has add-ons that reduce that cooldown further and increase the duration, while his add-ons are way weaker in comparison) and some of his add-ons. Mirror Shards are borderline useless and PILE OF NAILS is an awful add-on that counters itself, as you need to manually end Hidey-Ho mode to get some extra stealth, but only lasts for 5 seconds, so you can't sneak on a survivor unless you're really close, but Chucky LAUGHS quite loud when you manually end Hidey-Ho, so the stealth is pointless as the laughter reveals your position.

Beside those little details though, I think he is the best designed killer in a long time. Most of his add-ons are still good, make a noticeable difference but are not insanely strong, which I think is how it should be for strong killers like him. I think my favorite is Portable TV, which is the only one that makes a HUGE difference, but only in endgame, so that balances things out and gives it some amazing sinergy with endgame perks.

• Science_Guy
    Science_Guy Member Posts: 1,966
    Options

As a survivor, running against him feels very frustrating owing to the interaction between his size and his red stain. Being so small, he's obviously very hard to see, which is fine by itself, but the difficulty in knowing what direction he's moving at loops until it's too late takes a lot of the interaction out of your hands. His stain in general feels really unreliable compared to other killers. This is very noticeable when using Dead Hard, where I have to remind myself to use it far earlier than for all other killers because, dashing or not, by the time Chucky's stain appears it's already too late.

• anarchy753
    anarchy753 Member Posts: 4,212
    Options

In my opinion he just has too much going for him.

All other stealth killers still need to put in some effort when approaching players as they can be spotted by alert players at a distance. Chucky only needs regular grass for it to be exceptionally difficult to spot him before he's already on top of you.

His giggles seem to be intended as a countermeasure for this, but I hear a giggle maybe 1 in 10 times he comes at me. Whether it's due to how infrequent they are, or if map tiles can block the sound, I don't know, but it should absolutely be made so that a survivor near Chucky in Hidey-Ho mode WILL hear giggles.

His dash is a flat power-creep on the Pig, and it comes without the downside of being slower than survivors to use it, and you don't have to be stationary to charge the attack.

Outside of that I think his power is alright, but it needs to be more consistent, and potentially the dash attack should be shortened.

In regards to his perks, the only big one is Friends Til The End. Personally I think it needs to lose the scream when the obsession changes, because as it is it rewards everything you do. Hook the obsession? Be shown another player. Don't hook the obsession? Be shown the obsession. It should be one or the other not a win-win. It especially sucks to be in the final two against this perk, because it reveals you regardless of who's being hooked.

• radiantHero23
    radiantHero23 Member Posts: 3,552
    Options

Really fun to play killer, that can actually keep up with modern loop design and stronger coordinated groups.

Voice lines are amazing and I find myself laughing a lot due to random line drops.

Power is easy to get into but hard to master. As it should be.

Stealth is a fum part of the game for me, so it's right up my alley.

Playing against him is also a fun experience in my opinion. I know that he is able to get a hit at most tiles and structure is the game, so I feel less safe when looping him. THAT'S GOOD!

Dodging slice and dice feels rewarding and due to his long cooldown wastes a lot of time.

3rd person fov feels nice to play as as killer.

Overall: great killer that I tend to play once or twice every session. Good job!

• Coffeecrashing
    Coffeecrashing Member Posts: 3,364
    Options

Chucky is locked into a terrible FoV, so I’ll pass on this killer.

Terrible FoV is terrible FoV. It doesn’t matter that I can see Chucky’s entire body, instead of giant hands floating on the sides of my screen. It’s still unacceptable FoV that we can’t even fix with Shadowborn or the FoV slider.

• DADDYWEST
    DADDYWEST Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 2
    Options

The only goood thing about this killer is that it's Chucky. Besides, we can't see him, majority of people giving up super early in the matches cause there's no real counterplays. He doesn't need any perks to help him so he can use gen regression only, as a survivor it doesn't feel like he has cooldowns. His vaulting speed is way too fast. Finally, all i can see is that it's a no brain needed character that you can win matches with 3 fingers, an eye closed while watching the movies. Here's my opinion.

• Config
    Config Member Posts: 306
    Options

180’s where one of the coolest things to do. It shouldn’t have been removed

• 09SHARKBOSS
    09SHARKBOSS Member Posts: 1,157
    Options

i fully agree with this person as a killer main he is just way too strong plz increase his terror radius a bit like wesker

• jonifire
    edited January 17
    Options

? I mean with chucky. You want the terror radius increased. Isn’t the perk called groupie in English, which makes people in your terror radius exposed, when picking someone up.

• jonifire
    Options

That was one of the coolest things. Please bring it back behavior!

• Config
    Config Member Posts: 306
    Options

There’s still a way to do it, but I don’t think that exposing it is a good idea

• UndeddJester
    UndeddJester Member Posts: 2,437
    Options

When I started playing him, I didn't actually realise he could scamper under pallets when not charging with slice and dice... and I still did well with him. As such I find it hard to say how good he is overall.

Pre-running does buy a fair amount of time on him, and I recently learned you only see his scamper footprints when you would normally be able to see the killer if he was normal height... which explains why I kept just thinking I was awful at tracking his footsteps.... now I know about it I can pay more attention to it.

I find him tough to mind game, but I don't do awfully against Chucky, especially if I can juke his slice and dice. If you do manage to trick him, you can make loads of distance. Since his turn arc got nerfed and he can't flick around terrain... I'm not convinced he's OP anymore, but he's still undeniably strong.

Killers want the flicks back, Survivors want nerfs because he's hard to handle at loops... so I struggle to feel he's not far of being exactly where he should be.

• Revvium
    Revvium Member Posts: 67
    Options

Scampering without slice and dice feels way too strong compare to slice and dice scamper. I'd prefer default scamper be super weak and slice + dice scamper be faster to make hits with the rush + noise notif more plausible. I found it very hard to get slice and dice hits if I scampered during them. also the scamper cancel is really fun and interesting, would be cool to see something like that be available for basekit.

• MrDrMedicman
    MrDrMedicman Member Posts: 303
    Options

His power is fine, but he's too small for all the Los blockers you guys insist on putting down

• 09SHARKBOSS
    09SHARKBOSS Member Posts: 1,157
    Options
  • TSQuint
    TSQuint Member Posts: 88
    Options

With respect, does any of this current feedback matter? There's no shortage of precedents dictating that some or all aspect of this character will be changed at some point anyway.

• Tatariu
    Tatariu Member Posts: 3,005
    Options

Not enough counterplay and cool-downs are too punishing.

I'd suggest the following updates:

• Scamper can only be performed during a Slice & Dice.
    • Scamper duration lowered to 0.9 seconds (was 1.2 seconds).
    • Scamper resets the turn-rate restriction.
    • Hidey-Ho Mode duration & recharge lasts 10 seconds (was 14 and 18 seconds respectively).
    • Hidey-Ho Mode is fully recharged at the start of the trial.
    • Basic Attacks deplete the entire power gauge (was partial).

These changes bring Chucky's special vault in-line with other Killers (Legion & Wesker) and the adjustments to his stealth abilities matches him up more closely with other stealth options, namely The Ghost Face. Ultimately these changes improve counterplay measures, elevates his skill ceiling, improves his stealth abilities, and normalizes his power when compared to other Killer abilities.

This discussion has been closed.