The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Devs on voice

Cymer
Cymer Member Posts: 946

I just had an obvious SWF group.
No salt there.
I asked them if they are SWF they confirmed.
I called them unfair.
They answer with: BHVR rules

So my question to the devs would be, are you pro voice?

Best Answer

• Peanits
    Peanits Dev, Community Manager Posts: 7,522
    Answer ✓

@Cymer said:
    I admire all your wish to help, but you are all no part of the dev team.

I don't intend to start a fire with this post.

All I wanted to know, are the thoughs of the dev team on that matter.

I don't want to bait anyone into an anti or pro SWF rant.

I simply wish for an official statement so I can let the entire voice issue rest.
    If they are pro voice I can accept that fact or move on to an other game.
    Aslong I don't have this official information each time I face a SWF (as killer or survivor it doesn't matter) I have the feeling that they are playing unfair.
    I don't like that feeling, all I can do is go and inform myself on the matter.

Fortunately BHVR has this forum and the dev actually read and answer here sometimes.

If this is the wrong approach to get my desired information, then please @not_Queen and @Patricia just delete this thread and inform via pm or email how you prefer to be contacted, what rules I have to consider.

I know in the past I had make some post against the free advantages of a SWF, but this should not matter here.

I truly believe that the devs and the entire BHVR team is doing their best within their possibilities. They created a game that I enjoy, engaged and invested, otherwise I wouldn't be bothered to posting here.

They are doing great work and a big thank you for that!

I think all is said, what needed to be said so please, if you are not a member from the BHVR dev team stay out.

Thank you for your efforts.

Best wishes
    Cymer

I am an associate community manager, one of the people who deals with reports, bans, and rules. As mentioned above, it's not bannable and not something we want to ban for.

Answers

• Tsulan
    Tsulan Member Posts: 15,095
    They are not against it, since there's no way to detect it.
  • HavelmomDaS1
    HavelmomDaS1 Member Posts: 1,948
    edited February 2019
    Tsulan said:
    Well, there would be ways if they cooperate with EAC that as long as 3rd party programs who got voice communication are running DbD would just simply not start up (same with the new versions of ReShade, EAC stops DbD from starting up till you remove it or they approved the new version of Reshade).

But the issue is people would always find different ways to voice communicate and bypass/exploit EAC and also they would annoy a large % of the survivor playerbase. So they don't, and they will probably never do. I'm just "fascinated" how the devs never really attempeted to do direct steps to balance SWF.. The only thing I remember is that every survivor can see who the obsession is in the HUD, a minor QoL buff for solos. That's it, and it's not even that helpful 
  • Cymer

I am aware that voice is white listed by the devs. What I want to know from a dev if they actively encourage voice not they can't do anything against it because the lack of proof.

I want a statement from the devs if the encourage voice or if they are against it.

• Bongbingbing
    Bongbingbing Member Posts: 1,423
    edited February 2019

Of course they're Pro Voice, I'm a Killer main and I'm pro voice. Letting people play with their friends benefits the game so much and keeps it alive. It's the fact that voice brakes the game balance completely that's the issue not with voice itself.

They know about Voice and know SWF are a Majority of players but they balance the game around solo. Why? I have no Idea :dizzy:

• Spicybarbecue
    Spicybarbecue Member Posts: 183

or what they could do is remove survive with friends from the game(as they should) and have it so you get incremental timeouts for dodging lobbies*.

*swf friends didn't used to be in the game however ppl would just constantly queue and leave until they got in a lobby with their friends

• Tsulan
    Tsulan Member Posts: 15,095
    edited February 2019
    Tsulan said:
    Well, there would be ways if they cooperate with EAC that as long as 3rd party programs who got voice communication are running DbD would just simply not start up (same with the new versions of ReShade, EAC stops DbD from starting up till you remove it or they approved the new version of Reshade).

But the issue is people would always find different ways to voice communicate and bypass/exploit EAC and also they would annoy a large % of the survivor playerbase. So they don't, and they will probably never do. I'm just "fascinated" how the devs never really attempeted to do direct steps to balance SWF.. The only thing I remember is that every survivor can see who the obsession is in the HUD, a minor QoL buff for solos. That's it, and it's not even that helpful 
    My solution would be to integrate voice chat and balance around it. 

Which might be possible once dedicated servers go live.
  • Cymer
    @not_Queen could you please clarify if the devs are pro voice or they are against voice, because it is against their initial vision of the game but they can simply not do anything about it/proof it?
  • Spiritbx
    Spiritbx Member Posts: 264
    Its ok to cheat as long as theres no way to detect it.
  • Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 16,047

@Spicybarbecue said:
    or what they could do is remove survive with friends from the game(as they should) and have it so you get incremental timeouts for dodging lobbies*.

*swf friends didn't used to be in the game however ppl would just constantly queue and leave until they got in a lobby with their friends

How to kill your game easily in two Steps.

• SadonicShadow
    SadonicShadow Member Posts: 1,146

@Peanits said:
    Voice chat is allowed. It's not planned to be added into the game because it ended up breaking the immersion back when it was tested, but people are still free to use it if they wish.

Coulden't text and voice chat be optional? Allow the player to disable them if they so choose and just have a little indicator next to their name that lets people know they have opted out of comms.

• Paddy4583
    Paddy4583 Member Posts: 864
    edited February 2019
    SWF was always going to be implemented, they have stated this already, they also can’t ban communication, because they’d have to ban all forms of communication during game play, and we all know where that would lead.

Can see it already 4 man twitch streaming as the new mics lol
  • Delfador
    Delfador Member Posts: 2,552

@SadonicShadow said:

Coulden't text and voice chat be optional? Allow the player to disable them if they so choose and just have a little indicator next to their name that lets people know they have opted out of comms.

No.

Devs do know that voice comms give survivors an unfair advantage but they simply can't prevent people from playing a multiplayer game together. If they do, it might potentially kill the game.

If they make text and voice chat optional, the game will need drastic changes in order to balance.

Current way of dealing things is that if the killers don't like to play against SWFs, they can dodge, if they can, SWF groups can play the game together. It is not perfect but one way or another, it works right now.

This is why they will not do anything about SWF or lobbydodge.

• Peanits
    Peanits Dev, Community Manager Posts: 7,522
    edited February 2019

@Peanits said:
    Voice chat is allowed. It's not planned to be added into the game because it ended up breaking the immersion back when it was tested, but people are still free to use it if they wish.

Could it? Sure. It's not planned currently, though. Personally I don't think that would necessarily solve it since talking to complete strangers- some of which may have voice chat muted- isn't going to be the same as talking to friends, where you can go in with a gameplan and count on each other. You can look at games like Overwatch for example. Sometimes it's handy, other times it turns into a shouting match when things start to go south, and sometimes you're sitting in the channel alone taking to a bunch of muted people.

The real key is that it's not voice chat that make it feel unfair. Most people using voice chat are just hanging out with friends. It's only when they set out to be as efficient as possible that it becomes a problem. Adding voice chat with strangers would not put you on the same level as a coordinated group.
    Post edited by Peanits on
  • powerbats
    powerbats Member Posts: 7,068

@Spiritbx said:
    Its ok to cheat as long as theres no way to detect it.

Translation: It's ok to post nonsensical things as long as you don't have to actually believe what you say.

• Cymer

I simply wish for an official statement so I can let the entire voice issue rest.
    Aslong I don't have this official information each time I face a SWF (as killer or survivor it doesn't matter) I have the feeling that they are playing unfair.

Fortunately BHVR has this forum and the dev actually read and answer here sometimes.

If this is the wrong approach to get my desired information, then please @not_Queen and @Patricia just delete this thread and inform via pm or email how you prefer to be contacted, what rules I have to consider.

I know in the past I had make some post against the free advantages of a SWF, but this should not matter here.

I truly believe that the devs and the entire BHVR team is doing their best within their possibilities. They created a game that I enjoy, engaged and invested, otherwise I wouldn't be bothered to posting here.

I think all is said, what needed to be said so please, if you are not a member from the BHVR dev team stay out.

Best wishes
    Cymer
  • Paddy4583
    Paddy4583 Member Posts: 864
    Cymer said:

Best wishes
    Cymer
    If your wanting to know Devs opinions why do you keep tagging queen? She’s NOT a dev
  • TheBean
    TheBean Member Posts: 2,320
    edited February 2019

OP asks for official response... MOD comes out and states a response... They are working on behalf of BHVR and can't release false information about the game...

OP doesn't accept this as an official response... So needs to waste more time for people about an issue that was addressed over 2 years ago.

Please go play another game if that is what you are looking for... You basically laid that all out as... If I don't hear what I want, then I'll play another game until I can play. So please play another game, cause your question was answered years ago.

Nobody is stopping you from playing other then yourself. If you can't handle this game, it is ok. It isn't meant for everyone. Just like myself... I used to enjoy first person shooters when I was younger... so thought I would like games like H1Z1 and PUBG... stuff like that.. but I don't anymore, they are way too tough for me now, so I don't play them.

• Master
    Master Member Posts: 10,200

@Cymer said:
    I just had an obvious SWF group.
    No salt there.
    I asked them if they are SWF they confirmed.
    I called them unfair.
    They answer with: BHVR rules

So my question to the devs would be, are you pro voice?

And they are right.

BHVR doesnt give a damn about balancing the game aroudn voice comms.