The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Totem Counter added to UI - Please vote on link below!

Gemasuda
Gemasuda Member Posts: 70
edited February 2019 in General Discussions
Let the Devs know if you think a totem counter added to UI would be helpful for both killer and survivor.  Would avoid having to change NOED perk, give solo versus SWF an even playing field and give killers the ability to prepare to protect totems to ensure NOED is activated.

Honestly would be an easy QOL improvement on both sides.

Your thoughts?
Please vote on link below 

http://www.strawpoll.me/17501299/r

Comments

• HavelmomDaS1
    HavelmomDaS1 Member Posts: 1,948
    Strawpool link would be great if you want to collect numbers tho
  • NuclearBurrito
    NuclearBurrito Member Posts: 6,807

Pro tip: Make it start at 0 and count up rather than the other way around.

Having a unique noise when one is destroyed would be a similar effect.

You don't have to do it but it would make it closer to a QoL compared to counting down from 5 (since dull totems can be effected by things besides destroying.

• Gemasuda
    Added straw poll link
  • Gemasuda
    Well said!
  • Dwight_Confusion
    Dwight_Confusion Member Posts: 1,650

I don't think so. THrill does this.

THey just need to buff thrill of the hunt. That's all.

Either that, or buff totem cleansing by 2 seconds each.

• Hoodied
    Hoodied Member Posts: 13,018

How would this help killer?

• PhantomMask20763
    PhantomMask20763 Member Posts: 5,176
    Yes!!! A totem counter would be great to have in game. 
  • Mc_Harty
    Mc_Harty Member Posts: 3,293
    edited February 2019

@Hoodedfengm1n said:

They're not forced to run Thrill to let them know if they're going to have NOED.

• HazeHound
    HazeHound Member Posts: 814
    This is pretty nice idea, just like "remove pallets".
    Seriously, noed got nerfed at least twice and you still whine. If you don't break totems, you deserve to get snashed with noed. 
    Its part of this game to either trust tour teammates will do or doing it yourself.
    If counters like this will be added and stuff like "is survivor in a chase" (which people are rumbling about in this forum) every single game will end after 4 minutes. 
  • Delfador
    Delfador Member Posts: 2,552

I wonder if they can add this feature to the PTB as the last second change.

I really love this change honestly.

• Gemasuda
    Thrill only slows totem cleansing and provides notifications if someone is in the process of cleansing.  This means after that hex totem is cleansed you would still not know if any totems were left.

Knowing how many totems are left allows the killer to know if he or she would have NOED prior to last gen pop.  Allowing them to situationally protect totems and also would cause survivors to look for totems allowing more time for the killer to catch them!
  • Gemasuda
    Please share and bump this topic up, we need more votes!
  • Gemasuda
    21 votes as of now keep voting!
  • Gemasuda
    So far 20 yes 8 no - Keep voting and share this with friends, we get enough participation maybe we will get a mod response.  Thanks to all those who have already voted!
  • NuclearBurrito
    NuclearBurrito Member Posts: 6,807

@Gemasuda said:
    So far 20 yes 8 no - Keep voting and share this with friends, we get enough participation maybe we will get a mod response.  Thanks to all those who have already voted!

You mean a SECOND mod response right?

• Hoodied

@Mc_Harty said:

@Hoodedfengm1n said:

They're not forced to run Thrill to let them know if they're going to have NOED.

but they might run the perk ruin or haunted?

• Bongbingbing
    Bongbingbing Member Posts: 1,423

I'm torn on one hand it'd make NOED useless but at the same it might add a minute or so to games which is definitely needed.

It'd also bridge one gap that solo and SWF have which brings us one step closer to overall balance and possibly eventually an all round killers buff to match once Solo and SWF are on the same level.

• Master
    Master Member Posts: 10,200

Sure why not, what would be a compensation to buff hex totems?

• Mc_Harty
    Mc_Harty Member Posts: 3,293
    edited February 2019

@Hoodedfengm1n said:

You're missing the point. Thrill of the Hunt will let the killer know if there's dull totems on the map so they'll know if No One Escapes Death will activate. Having a UI totem counter will help notify killers without the need of Thrill.

• RepliCant
    RepliCant Member Posts: 1,436

@Master said:

Hey just a question - how would this nerf any hex perks except for NOED? I guess Devour Hope?

Most of the times you're alerted already when a Hex totem is active - so you'd already know if it remains on the map or not.

• Hoodied

@Mc_Harty said:

@Hoodedfengm1n said:

You're missing the point. Thrill of the Hunt will let the killer know if there's dull totems on the map so they'll know if No One Escapes Death will activate. Having a UI totem counter will help notify killers without the need of Thrill.

I know how thrill works, but then if this occurs then we will need to change thrill to apply to these affects

• Peasant
    Peasant Member Posts: 4,104
    Master said:

The totems are already being shoved into smaller and smaller corners. Once the totem is shrunk down to the size of just a skull things might actually be good. 
  • Master
    Master Member Posts: 10,200

@Peasant said:
    Master said:

The totems are already being shoved into smaller and smaller corners. Once the totem is shrunk down to the size of just a skull things might actually be good. 

They will be? When?

• Peasant
    Master said:

@Peasant said:
    Master said:

They will be? When?

I am unsure of when totems will be shrunk down to being just skulls, all I know that the devs said that it was something they were looking into on a stream.
  • Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675

@Peasant said:
    I am unsure of when totems will be shrunk down to being just skulls, all I know that the devs said that it was something they were looking into on a stream.

"Looking into" doesn't necessarily mean they'll do it; it means they're going to see how it works out (internally).

• Peasant
    Orion said:

@Peasant said:

"Looking into" doesn't necessarily mean they'll do it; it means they're going to see how it works out (internally).

Well I guess I will just have to start praying to the Entity.
  • HavelmomDaS1
    Mc_Harty said:

@Hoodedfengm1n said:

Exactly, and killers already are pretty limited on which perks to use, so one less perk for some information helps for stronger builds
  • HavelmomDaS1
    edited February 2019
    HazeHound said:
    This is pretty nice idea, just like "remove pallets".
    Seriously, noed got nerfed at least twice and you still whine. If you don't break totems, you deserve to get snashed with noed. 
    Its part of this game to either trust tour teammates will do or doing it yourself.
    If counters like this will be added and stuff like "is survivor in a chase" (which people are rumbling about in this forum) every single game will end after 4 minutes. 
    But you forget "stage 2" after buffing solos: nerfing survivors in general, especially the time it requires to do the gens as we all know how fast gens pop. This could be done with a second objective, a mechanic we all want. Killer want it to slow down the game and survivors want it to have variety and less M1 holding.
    Dont be so close, open yourself for that idea, it doesn't sound that bad or does it? :)
  • Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675

I voted "Yes", but I'm ambivalent about providing this information for free (i.e.: without the use of a perk, namely Small Game or Detective's Hunch).
    I understand the intention, but the problem is that every step toward providing more information for survivors is a step away from the horror game that DbD is supposed to be and a step toward making this yet another generic 4v1 asymmetrical game.

• HavelmomDaS1

@Gemasuda said:

You mean a SECOND mod response right?

Maybe he means an actually Dev like not_Queen or McLean
  • HavelmomDaS1

@Mc_Harty said:

@Hoodedfengm1n said:

I know how thrill works, but then if this occurs then we will need to change thrill to apply to these affects

Yeah I think Thrill needs some changes anyway tbh, I never found it that good and some survivors are trying to bully a killer if they use Thrill (for example spamming the notification or SWF will organise touching it so you run back and forward all time).
    How would you change/buff/rework Thrill?
  • RepliCant
    RepliCant Member Posts: 1,436

@Orion said:
    I voted "Yes", but I'm ambivalent about providing this information for free (i.e.: without the use of a perk, namely Small Game or Detective's Hunch).
    I understand the intention, but the problem is that every step toward providing more information for survivors is a step away from the horror game that DbD is supposed to be and a step toward making this yet another generic 4v1 asymmetrical game.

This is where I stand too; I would love this to be tied to a perk, preferably Small Game since it's specifically for finding totems and traps.

It'd make better use of it, and would keep the core atmosphere of "is noed a possibility" while allowing that info to be accessed.

• Peasant

@Orion @Brady How about we make this a UI feature for killer and survivor, but we have it turned off by default and the player has to manually turn it on in the options menu? New players (the ones most likely to be afraid) will lack the information initially and everyone who doesn't get scared has access to the info whenever they want it. How's that sound?

• HavelmomDaS1
    Peasant said:

@Orion @Brady How about we make this a UI feature for killer and survivor, but we have it turned off by default and the player has to manually turn it on in the options menu? New players (the ones most likely to be afraid) will lack the information initially and everyone who doesn't get scared has access to the info whenever they want it. How's that sound?

Sounds pretty fair imo, those who don't want informations can turn it of, those who want it can keep it. I think the same time devs could add an option to completely turn off all HUD elements as a "hardcore" mode, but that's a different topic
  • Peasant

@HavelmomDaS1 said:
    Peasant said:

Sounds pretty fair imo, those who don't want informations can turn it of, those who want it can keep it. I think the same time devs could add an option to completely turn off all HUD elements as a "hardcore" mode, but that's a different topic

Oooh. Maybe survivors and killers could play their first few games without a hud and during each trial, they unlock a new part to help them understand what everything means?

• The_Crusader
    The_Crusader Member Posts: 3,688

NOED has always been a major complaint of survivors, maybe, just maybe a totem counter would help alleviate the pain that some feel.

You could have a totem counter displayed at all times like gens.

You could just have it appear for 5 seconds everytime a totem is cleansed.

You could just have a different coloured explosion and sound effect when a dull totem is cleansed so the survivor knows the area it was found in.

But yeah I definitely feel solo survivors need something. It's too easy for SWF and too hard for solo. Killer gets an easier life due to an adjustment to DS so it's only fair that the survivor role gets an easier time with this adjustment to NOED.

• thesuicidefox
    thesuicidefox Member Posts: 8,223

Number, no. Some sort of notification when a totem is cleansed, yes. Not an explosion like a Hex totem, but something similar. Also killer shouldn't get this notification, if they want to track totems they should use TOTH. As solo or SWF you still have to keep count of how many totems are done. Having a number displayed makes it way too easy.

I also think they should add 1 more totem spawn then make NOED require 2 totems like HG. That would make totems a lot better overall.

• The_Crusader

@Master said:

Stop them spawning right in front of survivors ;)

• Gemasuda
    Voting so far 70% in favor 30% opposing.  Let’s keep voting.  Excellent feedback from all of you, so far mostly constructive!
  • HavelmomDaS1

@Master said:

Stop them spawning right in front of survivors ;)

Oh man just check out Marth88 recent videos, he literally spawned 1 meter next to a hex totem. And that not alone, no no. Together with 2 damn team mates lol

So broken, but the devs promised to optimise survivor spawns in terms of totem locations, let's see how fast and good the fix will be 
  • TheHourMan
    TheHourMan Member Posts: 1,052
    Yes, but only if you have a perk equipped for it. Small game being changed to display the number of totems would be acceptable. Killer already has a perk for this.
  • Pandifer
    Pandifer Member Posts: 37
    Yes, but only if you have a perk equipped for it. Small game being changed to display the number of totems would be acceptable. Killer already has a perk for this.
    I like it.
  • Gemasuda
    Current voting stands at 70 % for and 30% against with almost 80 votes.  Thank you all for contributing your point of views and please remember to vote and share.  Let’s provide some real numbers for them to evaluate!
  • Tucking_Friggered
    Tucking_Friggered Member Posts: 636
    edited February 2019

@Peasant said:

It sounds like you are positively clueless. Information affects the game and comes at a price. Just as with Thrill of the Hunt or any other perk that reveals something.

• Kaelum
    Kaelum Member Posts: 994

UI counter for all survivors, yes. Tied to perk, no. Killer does not get a counter.

This is the equivalent of a 4-man SWF, and should be in the game.

• Tucking_Friggered
    Tucking_Friggered Member Posts: 636
    edited February 2019

@Kaelum said:
    UI counter for all survivors, yes. Tied to perk, no. Killer does not get a counter.

This is the equivalent of a 4-man SWF, and should be in the game.

Yeah, no. You don't deserve those freebies and as evident by the design of the game throughout you will pay for every advantage. It pretty much makes Small Game pointless as if you have a counter detailing how many are left having an audible queue when you just happen to be near one is a waste of a slot.

As for the poll it takes 4 survivors for every match and 1 killer. If a poll was a way to judge a solid plan survivors would always have 80% if they voted in their own self interest. Like pure democracy its mob rule and a recipe for disaster.

• The_Crusader
    The counter should not be tied to a perk.

I'd say give this information to the killer for free too, and buff TOTH so it either gave notifications of dull totem cleanses for killer or gave an indication of where dull totems are at least so they can defend them.

@Tucking_Friggered Small Game is meant to tell you when you're near one and looking in its direction, saying its useless because it doesn't tell you the number is like saying it's worthless right now.