Worth talking to your ex after divorce?

OMagic_ManO
OMagic_ManO Member Posts: 3,278
edited September 2019 in Off-topic

Super hypothetical, I have nothing to apply this to, not to me personally, but it was more of a piqued curiosity.

Your ex wife is mad at you? You messed up the relationship and wanted a divorce but regretted it later, is it worth it trying to talk to her and trying to kindle a friendship or relationship or just leave her be and call it off with friendship or anything.

Comments

• MegaWaffle
    MegaWaffle Member Posts: 4,172

Also not married so I cannot put anything personal into this, but I would assume it depends completely on the situation that pushed you to this point and the type of people involved.

Some may prefer to never see one another again, others may still be willing to develop a friendship but nothing more. I don't really think a question this deep has a simply "one way" answer.

• PhantomMask20763
    PhantomMask20763 Member Posts: 5,176

"My ex wife still misses me....BUT ER AIM IS GETTIN BETTER!!! ......ER AIM IS GETTIN BETTER, see it's funny because marriage is terrible"

Props to anyone who gets that reference

• GrootDude
    GrootDude Member Posts: 14,110

So I’ve never been in a relationship before but I find all the ex shaming dumb, if they were a horrible person then don’t try to start anything back up, if they’re a good person but you guys decide you shouldn’t be in a relationship anymore then yes, talk to them.

• Bithard
    Bithard Member Posts: 406

Me and my ex had a messy divorce. We spent months fighting over who gets the kids. Eventually I won and she had to have them.

• Mandy
    Mandy Administrator, Dev, Community Manager Posts: 22,936

LMAO

Divorce is a tricky subject, I've been through one and it's not pleasant in the slightest. It's great if you can maintain some sort of relationship with the ex though, especially if children are involved.

• frozen_in_shadow
    frozen_in_shadow Member Posts: 50

My ex and I are civil because there are kids involved. If there were no kids I wouldn't want to deal with him again.

• GODQueenEvy
    GODQueenEvy Member Posts: 63

I tried to contact my ex a couple of times after we broke up.. Never heard anything back.. She cheated on me a few months after we got engaged, so yeah.. I did a lot for our relationship/engagement, but its time for me to finally stop wasting my time and move on.

• OMagic_ManO

Good for you man, It sounded one sided and I hope you find someone who tries as hard as you do for you love.

• KhaineGB
    KhaineGB Member Posts: 10,623

It really depends on the ex.

Mine used to threaten me with a meat cleaver, so yeah... I stay away from her. :)

• OMagic_ManO

I hope nothing came from it, hope you found someone who was, well, much nicer.

• KhaineGB
    KhaineGB Member Posts: 10,623

It definitely wasn't good.

Current wife is great. She's super supportive, does have some issues (mental health + physical health) but we've gotten good at working together to deal with those issues. :)

Right now she's going through a checklist for me since we're packing to go to a festival this weekend. Just double-checking we've got everything.

• Mew
    Mew Member Posts: 1,832

I have no experience in relationships at all, but id think it mostly depends on how both of the people feel after the break up. Even if the break up wasnt for a terrible reason (like cheating or something) people can still feel pain from seeing the person they were so committed to.

Its worth a shot to try and rebuild some form friendship though, but id just never expect much.

• ceridwen309
    ceridwen309 Member Posts: 502

My personal take is to avoid regrets and worry if possible. Worrying makes you suffer more than once, and regrets have a habit of preventing you from living your life to the fullest.

If one were to regret not opening their heart and having an honest and open conversation with their ex, I would say give it a go. (This is bearing in mind certain other dangerous factors are not in play.)

It will hurt, and will probably not lead to things being as they were. But, it should help in removing the regret surrounding it.

My personal opinion, take as you will.

• OMagic_ManO

@ceridwen309

Thank you, that advice was spot on.